Beginnings – Part Eighteen
322 0 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thrusting out my knife at Scott, the blade passed by him as he dodged to his left. While my arm was extended I swung the blade towards him while rotating my back leg to apply more force. Scott reacted by slamming a glass bottle into my wrist and knocking the blade from my hand. Then followed by thrusting a second bottle at my face with his left hand. I ducked quickly and attempted to kick him with my left leg but Scott was already prepared and blocked it by swatting my knee with the bottle. The pain of having my kneecaps struck froze me for a moment which Scott used to bring the bottle he had thrust at me before down on my head, shattering the bottle and causing me to crumple down to the floor. I had lost.

“Good job kid. And what, it only took you two months?” Scott chuckled to himself as he took a swig of the bottle he blocked my knife with. Thankfully the one he broke over my head was empty.

“Don’t get sarcastic with me. I know I still suck. I can’t even land a good hit on you.” I replied sheepishly as I picked the little bits of glass out of my hair.

“Yeah, you still suck but you came close to landing a hit and that is better than most.” he said offering me some of his rum. I gladly accepted and took a good swig. As soon as I had my drink I waved my hand like I had some kind of telekinetic power or something and my knife flew off the floor to my hand where I promptly returned it to its sheath before getting up.

“Now go get ready for the banquet.” Scott said as if I was supposed to know what he was talking about.

“What banquet?” I asked with a somewhat confused tone.

“Oh right, I forgot to tell you. Mama Louise invited us to a banquet as honored guests.” Scott said, realizing that he never told me.

“For what?” I was now worried for my life. Mama Louise was no joke according to Scott and if we refuse there is the possibility that she might start a war.

“You know that Succubus. What was her name? Isabell, when we had that whole fiasco it ultimately resulted in the discovery of a plot that would end with Mama Louise dying. A small group of Leprechauns wanted to take control of all that Mama Louise had. The majority of Leprechauns had decided war that with Mama Louise was out of the question so they had the splinter group taken care of and the two were able to talk it out with no unnecessary casualties.” Scott explained nonchalantly.

“Wait, then why are we involved?” I asked. It had been two months since that had happened and in those two months, a lot has been done. Elysif and I had become great friends, Iscariot had taught me more magic, and I had gotten a lot of time to train with Scott. Otherwise, nothing else has happened, the changeling hasn’t shown itself in a while and the only thing we’ve really done was become third parties for small squabbles between monsters.

“We started it and not only that she also invited Elysif and Iscariot.” Scott said with a strangely worried tone.

“Did you remember to tell them?” I asked expecting him to say no. 

He stopped and thought for a moment. Taking a bigger swig of rum, Scott looked into the distance deep in thought. I could see the gears turning in his head before he finally looked at me and for a moment I thought he was going to say yes. “No.” he said. I sighed and walked to my room.

“I’ll go and tell them. I just got to get changed first.” I said as I shut the door.

* * *

I knocked on the door of the apartment below us and within a few seconds, Elysif had opened it. “What is it? I’m working on something that is very delicate.” she said in her usual brash manner.

“We have a banquet to get to.” I replied, ignoring her “very delicate” issue.

“What are you talking about?” She asked, blushing but also sternly putting her hand on her hip in a very sassy way. Though she also looked equally as confused as I was a few minutes ago.

“Scott forgot to tell you, me, and Iscariot that we were invited as honored guests to Mama Louise’s banquet. As you probably know we can’t tell Mama Louise no without good reason.” I explained.

“... I’ll be ready in a minute.” She said before slamming the door with a worried and very shocked look on her face.

I waited a solid fifteen minutes before she came back out only to run back in for another five minutes saying she forgot something. To be honest she looked stunning. She had removed her usual suit and tie and replaced them with something you would see a celebrity of this time period wearing to a grand event. She wasn’t wearing makeup so none of her perfections were covered. 

“You look stunning… my lady.” I said with what was supposed to be a serious bow but instead, it came out sounding sarcastic. Oh shit, please don’t kill me. I was only supposed to give her a compliment, damn it. What have I done?

“You look good as well… sir.” she replied with a curtsy before stifling a giggle. Thank goodness. Did she change her attitude with that dress? It didn't matter, we need to leave so we quickly headed toward Iscariot’s place.

“I wasn’t expecting you to respond like that.” I said as we walked out the door of the building, chuckling a bit as well before I realized I doomed myself.

“How exactly were you expecting me to act?” she asked with a fairly menacing scowl.

“Oh thank goodness, I thought maybe you weren’t the real Elysif there for a second. Like, maybe you were a changeling or something.” I said jokingly in an attempt to stop her bloodlust. God, if you exist please keep me safe.

She attempted to stifle another giggle but it instead turned into howling laughter. She laughed enough that she was on the ground having a hard time breathing. It wasn’t that funny and she was attracting a lot of unwanted attention. So doing as any sane person would, I picked her up over my shoulder and started walking towards Iscariot’s place. Elysif had a fit about being carried in such a way but not until after her laughter died down. She then chewed me out until we got to Iscariot’s.

15