Beginnings – Part Twenty-Two
282 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We followed the gathering of creatures down a hall to the dining room. The table that sat inside was half the size of Scott’s flat and on it sat rows of candelabras, all lit to give a certain nuance. All we could do was admire the table that was shining as if made of gold and covered with a single glass plate. The room itself was a marvel as several clear half-columns lined the walls and hanging in between them were lanterns. The floor was marble and the ceiling was a magnificent painting of the night sky.

It awed me to no end and I wasn’t the only one. Elysif, Iscariot, and Scott were just as awed as I was but it didn’t last long as Mama Louise came up behind us and ushered us into the room. We walked around the table until we saw our names written on a place marker in front of our chair and sat down. Then Mama Louise sat down at the end of the table beside Scott. Poor guy. Across from him sat Iscariot on the other side of Mama Louise. I then sat next to Scott and Elysif next to me. Probably a good idea to keep Iscariot away from Elysif seeing as how they were getting along just swimmingly earlier.

Once we had been seated a gaggle of Succubi came and poured us each a drink. Each drink was different and seemed to match the person. Iscariot received a sparkling white wine, Elysif received vodka steeped in black tea, Scott got sailors rum, and I got cherry mead. I had never drunk mead but they wouldn’t have known that.

“So, Scott what took you so long to get here?” I asked.

“I couldn’t find my tie.” He said, obviously lying.

“Bullshit! You were holding your tie when I left.” I whispered back angrily.

“Fine! I took a nap.” He said, finally accepting that lying wasn't going to work.

“You suck.”I replied.

“Whatever just keep an eye on Iscariot and Elysif. They don’t hold their liquor well.” Scott said before gesturing at the two.

“Fine.” I said taking a sip of my mead. Damn, it was actually pretty good!

Scott took a sip of his own drink and looked at Mama Louise. “Mama Louise, what happened to the good stuff?” He asked with an almost offended but hushed tone as not to make a scene.

“My, my. Had I given you more expensive rum you would have drank me into debt by morning.” She replied with a grin before she took a sip of her champagne.

“You know me too well. So, why did you really call me and my friends here?” Scott asked.

“Friends? I haven’t heard you use that word in a long time.” she said with her grin still plastered all over her face. She was definitely enjoying this.

“Don’t look into it too much, just a slip of the tongue.” Scott replied sheepishly.

“Fair enough. But what I called you here for was a favor that involves everyone here.” She said as her grin disappeared.

“If it’s that big of a deal shouldn’t you be talking with one of my superiors? Also, what might this favor entail?” Scott asked inquisitively.

“I actually did go to your superiors about this issue and said that you were the right one for the job.” Mama Louise answered with a matter-of-fact tone.

“Oh really! Those stuck-up bastards.” Scott said under his breath.

“What I need, no what we need is for you to take care of some Willowisps.” Mama Louise said in a way that seemed more like begging than asking. Scott had never heard her ask anything like that.

“And why are these Willowisps such an issue? I didn’t even know they still existed.” Scott said with a curious tone.

“Unlike other wisps that are born from souls not reaped by a cemetery guardian, Willowisps are created by a warlock or sorcerer for a specific purpose. We don’t know what the purpose is but Willowisps have started attacking many of the people that the people in this room are supposed to protect.” Mama Louise explained.

“The more you talk about it the more it seems like a non-Scott problem.” Scott said as he really didn’t want this job.

“That’s where you’re wrong. All of these people have sworn an oath of peace between each other and the Table. If one of the tribes that they protect were to have an uprising against them because of an attack and instate a new leader then they could become violent with us or the Table.” mama Louise explained.

“Now I see why this is my problem,” Scott said with a sigh.

“Humanity has avoided a war with the supernatural for nearly two hundred years and this could be what starts another one. We want peace as much as you do, so please take care of it. Everyone here has agreed to help you with any matters that you have to step away from to do this.” Mama Louise assured him.

“I’ll do it.” Scott answered after rubbing the back of his head.

“Thank you, Mr. Langston.” Mama Louise said.

“On another note, do you know of the changeling that I have been searching for?” Scott asked.

“The one who killed Isabell?” Mama Louise asked.

“Yes, I want as many people as you can spare searching for it and keeping the people safe from anything else. Do know that it is my duty to also be a third party for all of your squabbles so I request that since you will have no mediator to please keep yourselves in check while I am away.” Scott requested.

“I will do what I can, you have my word.” she said holding her glass out. Scott held out his glass and they tapped together in agreeance. The two then took a sip of their drinks but Scott didn’t stop and finished his glass. Mama Louise, expecting this, pulled out a bottle of fine expensive rum from beside her and poured him another glass.

“So that’s why you were holding out on me?” Scott said with a curiously surprised look.

“No, I just thought I would tease you first. You may finish the bottle but that is all I am allowing you to have of my good rum.” Mama Louise said with a joking smile.

“Well, I thank you. You are a wonderful host.” Scott said before sipping the drinks slowly this time.

Mama Louise took another sip of her champagne and looked around only to be stared at by Iscariot. “I must say, Louise, you are absolutely stunning and your choice of decoration is magnificent.” Iscariot said.

“You flatter me Mr. Iscariot but you are far too young for me. I was just messing with you when you arrived.” She said.

“Well, you know I am actually much older than I look. I had been working on a formula to reverse aging and I am temporarily in my prime because of it.” Iscariot explained eagerly.

“That might get you somewhere with me if you could provide me with some of that formula.” Mama Louise said with an interesting look.

“But of course.” Iscariot replied with a wink. Scott, Elysif, and I all avoided looking at them for the rest of the night.

14