Beginnings – Part Thirty-Four
253 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We were nearly back at the inn but what she said about him being sober in preparation for battle made me wonder. Did he drink because he was depressed or was it something else.

“So Elysif why does Scott drink so much? I understand if it’s related to his wife but I feel like it’s also something else.”

“It is something else but I don’t think I’m the one who should be telling you. Ask him yourself if you want to know.” she said with a tired expression.

“That would be too embarrassing to ask out of the blue with him. He isn’t exactly the type to just tell us something if we ask.” I replied.

“Fair enough.”

“He can tell me when he feels like it but I think I would have an easier time accepting his drunk nature if I knew. For now I’m fine with it since you and Iscarat are fine with it.”

“You know when you say stuff like that you sound like a mature adult instead of your usual self.”

“I am more mature than you. Wait, what do I sound like normally?” I asked, slightly offended by her snarky remark.

“Like hell you’re more mature than me!” She stated angrily, then changed her tone to a more joking one. “I am a refined woman of society and a doctor.” we both chuckled at that. I looked around to see we had actually passed the inn and were about two buildings away.

“I think we missed the inn? Let’s turn around.” I said. Elysif looked around to see I was right.

“Oh, stop distracting me.” she replied, turning around and walking towards the inn.

When I got to the front of the inn I opened the door, nearly dropping my armful of bread and with a bow said. “After you, a refined woman of society like yourself should be doted upon.”

She looked at me knowing I was giving her crap for what she said a moment ago. “Shut up, you ass.” she replied walking inside. We hadn’t even been gone two and a half hours but we might have gotten some good leads as to where we needed to go. We were going to wait for Scott to come back but we didn’t have to wait. Scott was already there, sitting at a table with his feet up.

The inn itself was in a similar style to that of the old cottages that filled the rest of the town. The first floor was like a family restaurant with several tables and a few people sitting around them including Scott. It was quiet and had a homey vibe to it. The second floor was filled with rooms in which we were currently staying. Behind the inn was a seperate building which housed the kitchen.

“Hey Scott, you look busy.”

“Oh… bugger.” he said looking up at us. And putting his feet down. “I was waiting for, you to return, I found some leads.”

“We also found some leads.” Elysif replied, ignoring his obvious lie.

“Oh, really. What are they?” he asked.

“You first.” I said.

“Fine, the innkeeper who is currently preparing my lunch has been telling me about some very tall men that aren’t actually human. They come into town once a week for groceries and other supplies for their master. The townspeople don’t charge for any of it since these creatures are protecting the town from wolves and anything else that might be around. These creatures also help with farmwork in the spring and fall. They attempted to pay the creature's master but he refused and only asked for supplies.” he replied, I guess he wasn’t lying.

“That sounds similar to what we learned, but we believe that these tall men are actually Willowisps in disguise. We both saw one and also saw it’s bone face.” Elysif replied.

“Well, that’s interesting. I had a feeling that was the case but Willowisps are known to be incredibly dangerous. Maybe their master is just good enough at controlling them but that would require a serious amount of strength and focus. I wouldn’t be surprised if he lost control of a few of them and that is what attacked a few of our supernatural associates.” Scott said.

“I also learned the name of their master and have an idea of where he lives.” I said.

“That’s good to hear. What’s his name and where can we find him?” Scott asked.

“Rubin and he lives in the Forest.”

“No shit! We know he lives in the forest, that’s where they're coming from. Final question. Why are your arms full of bread?” Scott asked me confused.

“That’s a story I don’t want to get into.” I said looking down at my bread. “You want some?”

“Sure, but since we have to wait a week before the Willowisps show up I can drink for the next six day. You two want to join in?” Scott said pulling out his flask and chugging some of it.

“I can drink that.” Elysif replied and sat down at the table with Scott.

“I wouldn’t mind some beer.” I also sat down with them. Scott took a bite out of one of the loaves of bread. “Wow, that tastes like shit!” he said, looking it up and down before taking another bite.

13