Beginnings – Part Thirty-Eight
190 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I looked around to see where the voice had come from but the dust in the air was making it hard to see. I had very little grasp on the situation but as far as I could tell I wasn’t alone and I was in a lot of pain. I took in a big breath but was met with dust in my lungs, I released a series of violent coughs before I heard the voice speak again. “Are you alright?” I looked to where the voice came a second time to see through the dusty air a small man.

 

He had a rather large beard and stood roughly a meter tall. The hair on his head was matted back in semi dreads and his eyes looked old and tired. In one hand he held a quil and in the other a pipe which was still smoking. His clothes were a light green robe which was tied at the waist and drooped down just a bit past his knees. 

 

“Who... are... you?” I asked between coughs as the dust settled more. Looking around I realized I was laying in what looked to be a living room. There was an unlit fireplace behind the man and a few cushioned chairs. There was also a desk to the right of the man in which several papers laid. The walls were a stained oak and had many different carvings in them that made the room seem like it was moving when you walked through it. To add to the effect there were several candles whose shadows made the room an effigy of living wood.

 

“I believe I should be asking you the same question. I mean, you did fall through the roof of my home.” The man said.

 

“Fair enough, I am Lou Barret.” I said sitting up from the rubble.

 

“Rubin, Rubin Ruben but most people who know me well just call me Rubin squared. I am the last of the Dwarves.” he said puffing out his chest proudly and then taking a puff off his pipe.”Now, how did you come to fall through the roof of my house?”

 

“I, along with two otheres were sent by the Agency to deal with some Willowisps that had attacked some creatures that are on good terms with us and we ended up fighting some of them on top of your house.” I explained.

 

He took in a deep breath and sighed.”I’m surprised, I didn’t think my Willowisps would ever attack anyone unless they were a threat to me or the village of Haringey.”

 

“Wait, they’re your Willowisps?” I asked in shock.

 

“Yes and I want nothing more than to live the rest of my life here in peace, so I would suggest that you not consider me an enemy. I am a Pacifist so I don’t believe that violence is necessary unless in self defence.” Rubin said, giving me a hand. When our hands touched though, I felt a shock and with it the feeling that we had already met. “Are you… perhaps a Time Lord?” he asked in a shocked tone. I guess he felt the same thing I did?

 

“A what?” I said standing up. He looked rather excited for a second then looked around as if afraid of who might hear what he was about to say.

 

“A Time Lord! Did you come to this timeline from the future?” he asked in a hushed tone.

 

“I mean I did come here from the future but I don’t know anything about Time Lords unless they travel around in police boxes.” I said jokingly as I dusted myself off. He stared at me like I was an idiot.

 

“Of course you wouldn’t know anything about them, you haven’t met me yet.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Let me explain myself a little better. I was a Time Lord. Time Lords have the ability to travel to any time period before they became a Time Lord, though it takes a lot of practice and focus. However if you do travel to the time that you became a Time Lord, you revoke your Time Lord abilities and a new one is chosen in the distant future.” Rubin explained.”you are probably my successor.”

 

“I have one question. Did Diogenes really claim a plucked chicken was a man?” 

 

“He did and it was hilarious but are you perhaps mentally challenged? I would have thought you might ask a much more important question than that.”

 

“I mean I have other questions and at this point not much surprises me. I mean I found out monsters and magic are real and I suddenly woke up in the year 1888 one day. But more importantly could you maybe stop your Willowisps? My friends might still be fighting them.”

 

“Oh, sorry.” he said and he snapped his fingers. “They shouldn’t be hostile to anyone around here?”

 

“Thanks” I said nonchalantly

 

“Now, you probably had an easier time becoming a Time Lord than I did. I fell into a river and next thing I knew I was in Nigeria of 1742. It wasn’t painful, but I did witness my entire species get killed before falling into the river.” He stated, rubbing his chin.

 

“That sounds awful.” I asked, a little horrified.

 

“It’s fine, despite me saying I am the last of the dwarves is technically incorrect since that was in my original timeline. Now there are still plenty of us.”

 

“Oh, now how do I control my Time Lord powers? If I am one then I would like to time travel, it sounds fun.” I asked, rubbing my hands together.

 

10