Beginnings – Part Thirty-Nine
192 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I don’t know.” Rubin stated.

 

“What do you mean you don’t know?” I asked a little angry now.

 

“I mean it’s different for everyone, I had to meditate for fifty years before I could time travel the first time. The second time took me significantly less time as the more you do it the easier it gets. For the one before me, an African Warlord, would cut through time and space with his blade and would walk through it. The one before him, a Mongolian farmer, used Psychedelic mushrooms to send him to the past. It is all a matter of who you are and how you discover doing it. I have tried for years to figure out how it all works but only got more confused.”

 

“Oh, but do you maybe have some tips? Like, something that all the Time Lords you knew had in common with using their power?” 

 

“I don’t, and you are incorrect about one thing.”

 

“What?”

 

“I’ve only met my predecessor, I’ve only heard stories about the past ones. It’s some kind of unspoken rule that you can only meet the one chosen before you. I’m not entirely sure how it works but I have also found that you cannot change anything yourself that would affect what you have already done. The universe will take what you have changed and return it to its original state so that your personal future isn’t affected.”

 

“So then how would I be able to change the past?” I asked because that sounded like bullshit. What is the point of time travel if you can’t change anything?

 

“You can change the past, so long as it doesn’t affect what you have already done. Thus if it will not alter anything you have already done then it can be changed. You also can’t go to any point in time in which you already exist.” he said in the same way a science teacher would explain the basic laws.

 

“Okay, that makes a little sense. But doesn’t that mean that there are several places in time which cannot be changed no matter what?”

 

He rubbed his chin for a second then finally said. “Yes, major events cannot be changed, however I have been able to alter them in ways that don’t matter. For example, I stole half of the Library of Alexandria before it burned down and stored them in several safe places. I didn’t change the event since it burned down anyways but I saved quite a bit of the material that was destroyed. But I have found that if your future self does something in the past then it is set in stone. You will eventually do what your future self did even if you know that you did it and decide not to, the universe will make you.”

 

“Then doesn’t that mean that everything is pre-ordained?”

 

“I don’t know.” he said, sitting down in his chair and taking a puff of his pipe. 

 

“Lou?” I heard Scott call from above.

 

“Where are you, Lou?” I heard Elysif call as well.

 

“I’m down here!” I yelled. Then I saw them both walk up and peak over the side of the hole.

 

“Nice place.” Scott said with a wince.

 

“Thank you.” Rubin replied, taking another puff of his pipe.

 

“Who's the Dwarf?” Elysif asked.

 

“Scott, Elysif, meet Rubin Ruben. Rubin Ruben, meet Scott and Elysif.” I said introducing the two.

 

“Wait, that’s the Rubin guy who’s been controlling the Willowisps?” Scott asked as Elysif helped him climb down. Elysif climbed down behind him.

 

“Well, yes and no. According to him he has been creating the Willowisps but he hasn’t attacked anyone, he has only used them to protect this area and get groceries apparently.” I corrected.

 

“And you believe him?” Scott asked me.

 

“Well, yes.”

 

“Okay then, Mr. Ruben do you know who might be using Willowisps that originated in this area to attack monster settlements north of London?” Scott asked.

 

“Wait, Scott you just believe him like that just because Lou said so?” Elysif asked, a little confused.

 

“Not exactly, but I will give him the benefit of the doubt.” Scott Replied, looking at Rubin Ruben.

12