Beginnings – Part Forty-Three
195 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “Just my luck.” Compton said, dropping a chain from his right arm and summoning a shield to his left. He blocked the Willowisps attack with the shield and the force of it sent him flying back. With the chain he grabbed onto a tree branch and swung himself into the maze of branches. The Willowisp looked around for him but was confused due to the lack of a corpse. 

 

Compton swung the chain around a few times for momentum then released it at the Willowisp. It wrapped itself around the Willowisps neck but had no effect as it was made of silver. Then pulling on the chain Compton jumped onto the Willowisps back from above. It flailed around to try and knock him off to no avail as Compton had a strong grip on the chain around its neck. He reached down and pulled an iron dagger from his belt and stabbed the creature in the eye. It flailed some more before falling to the ground and turning to dust.

 

“That was annoying.” Compton said out loud to no one but himself. He picked up the iron dagger and returned it to its sheathe as well as started reeling in the chain. “What a pain. Now I’m all dirty.”

 

* * *

 

Back at the inn we said our hellos in a nonchalant manner which ticked off the innkeeper a little. It didn’t matter though, we were in a serious amount of pain. Elysif however, kept a big smile on her face and even apologized to the innkeeper for our so called rude behaviour. I wasn’t complaining though, because as Scott and I walked up the stairs to our rooms I heard her order us some food to be brought up. She was nicer than she wanted to let on.

 

I lowered myself into the bed of my room with a few winces and grunts. The outside of my body was fine, my insides however were still healing. Whatever Elysif gave me had stopped the bleeding but that didn’t mean I was healed. I guess this is twice now that Elysif has prevented me from dying now. Even if she is a doctor of sorts, she will hold it over me till she dies. Or possibly if I die. Rubin never mentioned if we could be killed did he? I have to assume I will die if I am killed.

 

I closed my eyes for a bit and I awoke to a knock at the door. I looked at my watch which read 9:34 PM. Somehow the battery hadn’t died since I arrived in this time period. “Come in.” I said, sitting up on the side of my bed. I rubbed my eyes and did a little stretch of my arms as I saw Elysif open the door. She was holding a plate of what looked like corned beef and cabbage. “Sorry I fell asleep.” I said to her as she walked in.

 

“You are fine. How are your wounds feeling?” She asked as she set the plate on the corner table.

 

“I feel like shit still but I am going to be fine, thanks to you.” I replied. She blushed for a second then got a serious look on her face that started to fade.

 

“Do you really believe that you might be a Time Lord or whatever Rubin called it?” she asked.

 

“I, I don’t know. If it is true then I would rather do nothing with this power. It would be too dangerous to use as I could mess up the lives of so many people.” I said rubbing my forehead.

 

“I don’t think that is necessarily true. No matter who you are or what you do, someone will end up suffering because of the decisions you make. Even if your intentions are good or if it helps someone it will ultimately affect someone you don’t see in a negative way. My advice to you would be to do what you can for the people in front of you, because that’s all you can do.”

 

“Elysif, I can’t deny that but if I mess up the past then I could make everyone I know forget about me or worse, get them killed.” I replied.

 

“Did you forget what Rubin said? No matter what you do, if your past self has done it then it is fated to happen. Thus whatever you are doing now will always have happened.” she said getting up. “You should rest some more. I brought you up some food if you wanted it and don’t worry about Scott he is half drunk half asleep in his room.” she said as she stepped out the door and closed it.

 

Man, I feel like she is the only logical brain cell in this group sometimes. She did however get me thinking about this whole time travel thing. If I could control it I could stop the masked man from killing Mordred’s father. I could also stop Scott’s wife from getting killed. I wondered if that was even possible. Maybe I should ask Rubin before we leave.

 

For now I just wanted to rest so I got up and ate the plate of food Elysif brought me. Then I laid back down in my bed for the night. It wasn’t easy though because now I had a lot on my mind. I had no idea what was going to happen but I had an uneasy feeling about it. Like someone was pulling the strings for my entire life. It made me angry that someone could be doing that, but that was a pointless thought that would disappear as my eyes grew heavier and I fell into a deep sleep.

 

I awoke to see the stars, not above me but all around me. I looked around as if I was in a dream. There wasn’t anything here but the stars, or so I thought. “Beautiful isn’t it?” I heard a voice say. I looked around to see that behind me was a small child, a girl... or a boy, I couldn’t tell. It had long hair on one side of it’s head and short hair on the other. The wore a toga and had eyes that could only be described as a reflection of the stars.

 

“Who are you?” I asked. It gave me a devilish grin and sat down cross legged  where it had stood.

7