Beginnings – Part Forty-Five
196 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I lifted up my head over the edge of the bed to see Elysif sitting on the floor like she had jumped back and landed on her butt. Behind her was Scott, scrunched up in a ball sitting in the corner table chair with a half empty bottle in his arms. I stood up and rubbed the back of my neck before asking. “What are you two doing in here?”

 

“We were worried because you fell asleep and hadn’t woken up in nearly two days. We tried waking you up but nothing worked.” Elysif replied as she stood up and dusted herself off.

 

“Was I really asleep for two days?”

 

“Yep.” Scott said from the corner as he unscruched himself from his ball and yawned real loudly. “Elysif refused to leave your side the whole time.

 

“I did not!” she yelled at Scott, unable to hide her blushing. “I was simply waiting for him to kick the bucket so I could dissect him.”

 

“Elysif we have been over this, you cannot dissect me.” I replied.

 

“Actually me and her agreed that if you die then I could get your liver to replace mine.” Scott said.

 

“And you didn’t think to include me in that discussion?” I asked presumptuously.

 

“We didn’t think you would mind since you would be dead. You wouldn’t really be using them for anything anyways.” Elysif said as if it was no big deal. I disagreed.

 

“Well, to change the subject I am starving.” I said, throwing on my coat.

 

“Sounds good to me.” Scott replied.

 

“I feel like I could go for something.” Elysif agreed. We spent the rest of the day relaxing and enjoying each other's company. We had plenty to talk about but we didn’t want to talk about anything work related so we spent our evening playing cards and discussing the comings and goings of our normal lives. Actually, normal my ass. We are nowhere near normal even in our everyday life.

 

* * *

 

Compton sat near the window outside of the inn. He watched as the trio talked, laughed, and enjoyed themselves. Compton wanted that, but at the same time he was happy. Not for himself but for Scott. Scott had been a loner for as long as Compton could remember and seeing him with people he could be himself around was enough to give him a warm feeling. 

 

When they were younger Compton would see him as this timid kid who hated talking to people. The only exception was Silva, who taught all of the new recruits the basics at the time. Even though she was only a few years older than them she excelled in everything. Compton became Scott’s friend because Silva wanted them to get along so it was more forced at the time. However over a few years of working together they became excellent friends but even then Scott would never bring up his childhood with him.

 

The only thing he ever said was “my life was meaningless until Silva found me, I owe her everything.” he never understood why and he never got an answer from Scott. Even Silva’s father didn’t know. He only knew that Silva brought him home one day and said she wanted him to be her pupil. So he didn’t question it. It didn’t matter though, after she died Scott became a loner again who only spoke to a few select people as little as possible. 

 

Now he had friends and was happy. Compton was glad he had been able to open up to some people. “I guess I don’t have to watch you all the time Scott. You’re just enjoying life and who am I to stop you. I may not trust that Lou Barret guy but I can trust you.” he said to himself before standing up and walking down the cobbled street. “Man, I need to stop talking to myself. I have been working alone for too long.”

9