Beginnings – Part Forty-Six
202 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When the morning came the next day Elysif and I woke up Scott because he had yet to get up. We weren’t entirely healed but we were good enough to go meet this Fey. Scott decided that we should handle it so he could stay drunk the whole time. We didn’t have any reason to tell him no so we went with it. I still hadn’t told them about my weird dream but it felt like it was better to not tell them. It was crazy enough even for me, I don’t even want to think how crazy it would be for them.

 

I also didn’t want to talk about it really. The whole thing made me uncomfortable. Even if I wasn’t chosen for a specific reason my life has been manipulated and that made me want to disappear. To make matters worse I couldn’t change the things I wanted to. All I could do to take my mind off my helplessness was to do my job. 

 

We headed back into the forest past Rubin’s place and deeper into the woods. As we continued the trail began to disappear and a thick fog rolled in. Scott didn’t seem to mind as he trailed in the back and Elysif was content being between the two of us. I, however, was internally screaming. The place reminded me of a horror game and I half expected a half naked pyramid head person to appear. That did not happen though.

 

We wandered south for a good few hours and I kept getting the feeling we were lost. Elysif and Scott didn’t seem to care though. “So what will this Fey look like?” I asked.

 

“I don’t know. It could look like a tree, an animal, a human, or all three.” Scott answered.

 

“Wait, then how will we know if we found it? We could have passed by it already.” Elysif stated.

 

“Don’t know but this fog isn’t helping.” Scott replied.

 

“Do you even know where we are?” I asked.

 

“Nope.”

 

“”...””

 

“What? You were in front so I thought you knew where we were going.” Scott said with a shrug.

 

“You do have a point.” I replied, pinching the bridge of my nose. 

 

Elysif looked around for a bit before saying anything. “That way is south.” she said pointing to our right. I didn’t have anything else to go off of so I started walking in the way she pointed without complaint. I wish we had thought to bring a compass. 

 

Elysif did the same and Scott who didn’t really care followed as well. After another hour of hiking we reached the southern edge of the forest and there was nothing. Nothing but farmland for as far as the eye could see. Some sheep were scattered in the field and wheat grew in others. There was no Fey though and that was the whole purpose. We were tired, thirsty, and annoyed. Scott was nearly out of booze and we were nearly out of water.

 

I sat down in the field in defeat. Elysif did the same and Scott leaned up against a tree. “Nap time eh?” Scott asked.

 

“I got nothing Scott. We haven’t found this thing and it’s not like it’s going to just appear out of nowhere.” I replied.

 

“I would look over there.” Elysif said, gesturing to the west as she laid down. I looked to where she was gesturing and a gigantic creature with a long slender body like a spruce tree was leaned up against an oak. I got up to go to it and the closer I got I realized it looked like a part of a tree. Its head was like that of thicket branches and it’s body almost blended into the tree line from this angle.

 

I pulled out my pistol and pulled the hammer back before placing it under my coat to hide it. “Hello.” I yelled out to it once I was within a few meters of it. It shook its head and blinked a few times. The creature stared at me and its eyes shared the color of the rest of its body, an oak like brown.

 

“Aw come on, I was just enjoying myself a nap. What do you want?” It asked, annoyed while making a gesture with its arms that was similar to that of one in disbelief.

 

8