Beginnings – Part Forty-Seven
183 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scott looked at me from where he rested against the tree. He raised his bottle in a toasting fashion. That asshole! I replied by flicking him off with my free hand to which he laughed. Elysif was resting in the grass I had laid down in a moment ago and wasn’t paying attention to what I was doing. I looked back at the creature who was a little annoyed with my presence. “I hate to be a bother to you but do you happen to know why the Willowisps in the area are turning evil?” I asked the creature.

 

“Well you are a bother and yes I do know why they are turning evil as you say. They keep attacking me while I am napping so I have to break the control seals on them. They then go to do what they are originally meant for.” It replied with a bit of resentment in its voice.

 

“Well, could you not. They are there to protect the area from dangerous creatures and you are napping right on the edge of their jurisdiction.”

 

“Do you think I care? I am doing them justice. Those things aren’t meant to protect, so I allow them to do what is in their proper nature.”

 

“Would it be easier to convince you if I told you that their master is personal friends of Oberon, king of the Fey.”

 

“... Well that does change things. Look, I am only napping here because I wanted out of Oberon's domain for a while. I could move to another forest if you would like that.”

 

“That would be great.” I replied finally coming to some understanding. This was easier than I thought it would be.

 

“Like hell I would do that.” the creature said, striking out its hand at me. I fell backwards to avoid it and slammed my back against the fencing that lined the fields. “We Fey are very protective of our space and I have claimed this plot for myself. Even the sheep stay away from this area. Did you think I would just let you kick me off just like that?” 

 

“Fine then plan B” I said pulling my pistol and firing a shot at it. The bullet hit its arm but did nothing to harm it.

 

“Did you think some petty weapon like that would do anything to me? You must be an idiot, boy.” the creature said, as it got up. The dirt below it shifted as if it had rooted its legs into the earth. I looked over towards Scott and Elysif for backup but what I saw made me genuinely mad. Scott just raised his bottle again with a smile and I think Elysif was asleep. Well, no help from the peanut gallery then.

 

I fired another shot. This time aiming for its head. I struck it near where its forehead should be and it took a step back. I fired again, this time striking it in its left eye. It wailed in pain, gripping over its eye with its hands. I ran up close in hopes of shooting it again while it was distracted but was instead kicked back by the creature. 

 

I landed beyond the fencing on my side. I slowly got up from the ground with a little discomfort. My body was beginning to feel heavy and as I stood a coughing fit overcame me. With my coughing, much to my surprise, was blood. My wounds had yet to fully heal internally so I guess that was going to happen anyways. I looked over to see the creature regain its composure, then it released a howl like nothing I had ever heard.

 

The roots around its feet started to writhe like snakes. I looked over to see that Scott was still sitting against the tree, but he seemed interested by my fight rather than worried. I’m glad you have that much faith in me Scott but I don’t think I can win this. Elysif was still lying in the field probably asleep. They were being absolutely useless. I swear if I survive this I am going to so chew them out later.

 

The roots burst through the dirt towards me. I didn’t know what else to do so I drew my knife, then I had an idea. A stupid one but it was still an idea. I stabbed the blade into the heel of my shoe so that it went through from the inside out. I stood on the hilt with my other foot and just as the roots got within a meter of me I focused just enough to get my knife to float. I continued to fly up before I forced it to launch me at the Fey. It struck at me but I dodged midair and fell towards its face. I released the last two bullets I had into its face and used the knife to propel myself behind the creature.

 

I didn’t have very much control so I fell with a crash. The Fey howled in pain for a moment before falling forward and slowly fading into dust. I began to stand up only to collapse and cough up more blood. 

 

7