Beginnings – Part Fifty-One
196 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I’m going to get a seat on the Council as a director?” Compton said, questioning if what he heard was correct. Elysif was also bewildered by this revelation that she had just heard. I was unsure of what to think about it as I didn’t know what most of that meant but based on their reactions it was important.

 

“That would make him-” Elysif said.

 

“Yes, the youngest director and Council member in history.” Mordred finished with a smug grin. She obviously knew that dropping that bombshell would take their attention away from the fact that he was made to spy on us. 

 

Merlin however, had a scowl as he rubbed his chin. He was not exactly in the here and now as he didn’t react to anything being said, like he was deep in thought. I wanted to say something to him but I was too busy trying to figure out what was being discussed.

 

“I have a couple questions. What does a director and Council member do? Also, is there anything even happening in South America?” I asked.

 

“The director of a sector stays here and brings up issues within their sector that need to be discussed and solved. As such they are given a seat on the Council to vote on important issues that affect the whole Agency. Sadly you are guessing correctly though, there is nothing noteworthy going on in South America that the Agency can be a part of. We simply have built a foundation there so that it may be useful in the future.” Mordred replied.

 

“So why exactly did you have him spy on us? There could have been other ways to test him.” I said. Elysif gave me a look that told me I needed to shut up.

 

“To be honest I wanted to test him the normal way but Merlin insisted we try something unexpected.” She said. Merlin looked at her the moment he heard his name as if he was broken out of a trance.

 

“Did someone say my name? I apologize for that. I had been deep in thought.” Merlin said apologetically.

 

“That’s unlike you Merlin. Are you okay?” Mordred asked.

 

“Yes I am fine.” he said unconvincingly.

 

“Usually you would have tried flirting with any girl that you saw in the room or making dirty comments to me any chance you could. What is bothering you?” Mordred practically demanded.

 

“I am fine.” he said again.

 

Before she could barrade him any more for an answer one of the guards from outside came in. “Concil, Head Concil, one of the local authorities wants to speak with you. They say a drunk man claiming to be one of our agents was harassing people in town and has been taken into custody.”

 

Elysif and I looked at each other. Compton even looked at us because we all knew they were referring to. Scott wouldn’t have, would he? Yes, yes he would.

 

“Have them bring him here. I think I have an idea as to who it is and I think all of you know as well.” Mordred said. The three of us looked down at the table. We knew exactly who it was, and if it wasn’t then we needed to find Scott. 

 

An hour or two passed before we saw the guard walk in with Scott in tow. He had a huge grin on his face like he was pleased with himself. His hair had several leaves stuck in it and his clothes were patched with mud flakes. Mordred gave him a look of indignation while Merlin was hiding a smile. 

 

“So what do you have to say for yourself?” Mordred asked, crossing her arms.

 

“I have no regrets and I know that they will not bother me again when I sleep on their porch.” He replied to spite her. He recoiled though when a fist hit him in the back of the head hard enough to knock him to the ground.

 

“You should be sorry. Why Silva ever took you in I will never know.” Director Langston said, rubbing his knuckles. Scott looked up at him like he had just been betrayed by his best friend. Which now that I saw that I didn’t know how he was going to react to Compton’s last mission.

 

“Compton, back me up here.” Scott said, getting up from the floor.

 

“You will not receive any sympathy from anyone in this room Scott, especially not director Compton.” Mordred said.

 

“Wait… director? He’s the new director of the South American branch?” Scott asked, in shock.

 

“Yes, and he will act as such; So he will not be helping you get out of the talk we are going to be having soon.” Mordred said. Merlin on the other hand was in his chair making a whip motion at Scott.

 

“Well, this sucks.” Scott said, hanging his head.

10