Beginnings – Part Fifty-Three
187 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I awoke to a knock at the door. It was roughly four in the morning and I wasn’t very pleased with it but I knew Scott wasn’t going to get up. So I got up and threw on my coat to cover myself before opening the door. “What do you want? It’s four in the morning.” I said opening the door.

 

When I did I saw the authorities standing before me with tired faces.”don’t tell me Scott did something stupid to piss you all off again.” I said. They gave me a somewhat amused look.

 

“Theres been a murder on Buck’s Row and we were told to collect you as it could be part of your jurisdiction.” the tallest one said.

 

“Give me a moment to get ready and if one of you wanted to wake up Scott that would be great.” I said with a devilish smile. They realized what I meant so they walked past me and into his room. Thus while they learned just how hard it is to wake the man I got ready. A few minutes later I hear the grunts of one of the Authorities followed by a crash.

 

“What the hell are you doing in my house lieutenant?”  I heard Scott yell. I was too busy grabbing some iron bullets for my pistol. While I already had it loaded with silver bullets I didn’t want to be unprepared as I knew that there were still some Fey in the city.

 

“Scott, don’t kill them. They came to take us to a murder scene so I asked them to wake you up. As you can tell they were very eager to do so.” I said from my room.

 

“Fuck you Lou.” I heard him yell back before I heard him loudly gulping down what I assumed was liquor. I swear, he is going to need a new liver soon. Either that or he has a liver of steel.

 

The Authorities ended up getting us to the crime scene around 4:30. Scott wasn’t exactly thrilled about being there but I had never done anything like this so I was excited. However I learned very quickly why he wasn’t excited. Upon seeing the corpse a wave of dread washed over me. It wasn’t like one you would see in a casket. Instead it was surrounded by a pool of somewhat fresh blood and covered in knife wounds. I had to step away for a moment to stop myself from throwing up.

 

“What’s it look like?” Scott asked what I assumed was the detective. He gave him a look that made me think he wasn’t thrilled to have Scott around. The detective was dressed in a rather nice brown suit. His hair was cut short all except for his prominent mutton chops. He also sported an unlit cigarette in his mouth.  

 

“Well, if your drunk eyes didn’t see it we have a dead body.” the detective said.

 

“Come on now Ron. I want to do my job, you want to do yours, so let's work together.” Scott replied.

 

“Fine, her name is Mary Ann Nichols. A bunk mate of hers at a lodging-house on Thrawl Street, Mrs. Emily Holland was able to identify her. She had two cuts to her throat and several icisions down the right side of her abdomen. Her Abdomen was also partially ripped open as if to remove an organ.” Detective Ron said.

 

“Thank you Detective.” Scott said before going over to the corpse and crouching down next to it. I followed unenthusiastically.”Look here Lou. this looks like a human on human murder right?”

 

“Well, yes.” I replied.

 

“Wrong, humans can commit murder like this but they don’t leave behind blood sizzles when touched by silver” he said pointing to a blood stain. Let me see your knife.” I gave it to him not entirely sure where he was going with it. He touched the blood stain and just like he said it started to sizzle. Then he touched part of the woman's organ with the knife but it didn’t sizzle like the other.

 

“Well a monster did kill her. But why would it cut her open like this?”

 

“They were trying to remove an organ of some kind. Whatever it was trying to take it didn’t have enough time to do so. There isn’t a single organ or bone missing.” Scott said.

 

“What kind of monster does this?” I asked as I gestured at the body. “For an organ?”

 

”werewolf couldn’t make cuts like this, they usually just rip open their chest and take the heart. A Pishachas could also do this but usually they just take the whole body. Changelings also do this but there aren’t many Changelings around… here.” He pondered then looked at me.

 

“What?” I asked, utterly sickened by the mutilated corpse before me.

 

“We were attacked by a Changeling several months ago and no one has found it yet. You should remember this because he, you know... stabbed you.”

 

“Don’t remind me.”

 

“That Changeling might be the culprit.” 

 

“Yes, but how will we find them? We haven’t been able to find it since it ran off.”

 

“Correct, but we weren’t exactly looking were we?”

 

“Well, no but what are we going to do that is any different?”

 

“We will ask for some favors.”

 

“Why do I have a bad feeling about this?”

 

“We are going to ask Mama Louise and her connections.”

 

“Fuck!” I said standing up from beside Scott.

8