Beginnings – Part Fifty-Seven
171 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I returned to Mama Louise's and gave her the elixirs as well as told her about her upcoming date with Iscarat. She seemed generally delighted by the offer unlike what Iscarat told me. Though I did not want to be there for much longer than I needed to so I did what I had to and left. 

Like most days in London it was foggy but today it started to rain. I hadn’t thought to bring an umbrella but I should have. The weather is a lot harder to predict when you don’t have the weather channel. Maybe I should start bringing one with me from now on. Unable to do much else about it I pulled the collar of my coat over my head and started running towards home.

Around halfway to the apartment I decided to stop at a pub for a meal. Also I was soaked and wanted to dry off a little before heading out again. It was a quaint little pub that had a long table that went nearly from one wall to the next on the left side of the door coming in. to the right on the back wall was a L shaped bar and in front of it was a few circular tables. The ceiling was dripping water in a few places and the tables were all lined with oil lamps, giving a rustic vibe. Even though I say it was rustic it was the norm at the time so I guess that is the wrong word to use. 

I sat at the bar next to an older man who was giving his liquer a disturbing stare. The barkeep, a stout woman with enough muscle to send professional weightlifter a run for his money asked what I wanted. I ordered a fish n’ chips and glass of rum to which she obliged after I gave her some money.

It wasn’t until after I was given my drink that I realized that the old man beside me was no longer staring at his drink but at me. I looked at him for a moment before it clicked. This was the man who told me I could find work in Whitechapel in the first place. “You know I have to thank you. You helped me out a while back so your next rounds on me old man.” I said to him. He gave me a strange look like maybe I had the wrong guy.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“A while back you saw me pickpocket to drunks and gave me some bread for giving you a good laugh from me getting my ass kicked.” I replied. He looked at me weird again then his eyes returned to normal as if a huge weight had been lifted off his chest.

“Ah yes, I remember. Though you don’t have to repay me for that. Consider it one old mans kindness.”

“No, no. I have to repay you somehow. Because I went to Whitechapel I now have an amazing job as a detective... of sorts. However, right now we are looking into a pretty gruesome murder that I am not exactly fond of. On the bright side we think we know who it is and have a way of finding them now.” I said. The old man's eyes grew disturbed again.

“Well, I’m happy to hear that. But you say you have almost caught a murderer. Who was the victim?” He said before taking a sip of his liquor.

“Mary Ann Nichols. Why do you ask?” 

“I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t someone I was related to. News doesn’t exactly travel fast around here.” he said.

“Now I have to ask what are you doing here?”

“Business. I thought I was done with work but I guess one more job wouldn’t hurt.” He said, although I thought he was laid off and was going to retire after going on an adventure. That is if I remember correctly.

“Yea, one more can never hurt.” I said as the stout barkeeper brought me my fish n’ chips.

* * *

Elysif stood at the front desk of the coroner's office. The secretary wouldn’t let her pass because apparently she looked too young to be a doctor and she couldn’t be a doctor as a woman. She did look too young but when did that matter? She was a doctor and had a standing business relationship as an Agency member of sorts with the coroner. The secretary however was a new hire and didn’t quite understand this so she said she would have to wait until the coroner was done with the examination before she could verify it.

This wasn’t what Elysif wanted to hear at all so rather than wait bolted through the door and down the hall to the examination room. She knew the layout of the building so she knew exactly where the examination room was. The secretary attempted to run after her but was having a hard time keeping up with the stubborn witch.

Elysif burst into the examination room much to the coroners surprise followed by the secretary who grabbed Elysif by the collar and began to drag her out. The coroner, after seeing the display asked. “What is the meaning of this?”

“I am sorry sir. This hoodlum of a child burst in here demanding to see you. I will remove her at once.” the secretary stated.

“Why wouldn’t you let her in. Elysif is a doctor, believe it or not and a representative of an esteemed detective Agency. Now you unhand her and leave us.” The coroner demanded. Elysif looked at the secretary who was still holding her collar and stuck out her tongue. The secretary released her with a huff and left the room.

“You should choose nicer secretaries.” Elysif said eyeing the coroner.

“What can I say? I like the sassy ones.” he replied.

9