Letter 4: James to Gen
31 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dear Gen,

 

    I ask if you are okay, and you respond with I am fine however what I saw was an omen of immense blood shed on the grave of a mad sorcerer. How do you expect me to feel? I know that you are probably going to be fine, but those words inspired worry in my heart. How long are you supposed to be in Lenal, and have you got back in contact with your sponsor? Because I believe it smart to get out as fast as possible. Even if it is almost certain that nothing will happen, I would get out as soon as possible Gen, it just doesn’t seem safe. Yet, writing those words makes me feel silly, you are talking about a disease from almost five centuries ago, a story that has no doubt been exaggerated. 

 

    About a week ago, a gruesome crime was committed about five blocks from the school that I work at. A student was stabbed five times. Luckily they lived, but the perpetrator of that attack has yet to be caught. This isn’t the only somewhat local act of violence either, last month the port gang got into a shootout with the local militia. Five people died and six were injured, all because the port gang was ‘taxing’ local fishing boats that docked in their territory. Three weeks ago two children were kidnapped. Five days ago someone lit a local temple on fire. It is funny then that despite this, in my heart I feel that you are in more danger than I am. Perhaps it is I who must leave as soon as I can afford to do so.

 

    My life has been fairly normal despite this, I have as you said gotten my days down to a science. I don’t get bored as easily as you do. When you look for it, you can find variety in repetition. For me, the variety comes in my classes. Even if I repeat a lesson two times a day, the audience is made up of different people. I can hardly predict the differences that will happen in each class.

 

    I told your family that you only have enough money for one small letter, nevertheless they do wish to write to you, so it would be wise to prepare for another letter heading to you. They think it to be fine for you to fit in a sentence or two for them with your small handwriting that you brag of, and who am I to deny them that?

 

    You mentioned that you started keeping a journal, may I ask why? That doesn’t sound like something that you would do. Seeing how I remember you mocking me doing so not even seven months ago.

 

    Lately the newspapers have been publishing rumors of revolution. It seems that a group that calls themselves the Builders have been organizing some sort of worker guilds across the content. These guilds work together on making sure that their members are fairly treated at work. Local businesses and governments wherever these guilds pop up seem to clash, only to capitulate when the guild leaders call for a strike. The Builders believe that these guilds will allow the world to advance past class. 

 

    Stay safe Gen! I look forward to going with you on your next commission, so you better not forget. I love you deeply, remember that.

4