Chapter 4 – Cursed Game
304 0 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4 - Cursed Game

“Every time Shinso hits someone with his cursed energy, it's like when your lazy friend comes over with video games and makes you lazy too. It temporarily stops someone from giving it their all, and even seems to temporarily lower cursed energy output,” Gojo explained.

Panda seemed a bit confused, and Maki frowned. Inumaki, on the other hand, was hard to read.

‘So it's something like Kashimo and Hikari, where their cursed energy has a property of its own,’ Shinso concluded. When it came to the effects of his cursed energy on other people, he had a better way of looking at it. “So it's like a debuff from a game, where the opponent loses a level for each punch. Though the effect isn't permanent, it does seem to stack up, and each punch has its timer until the effect runs out.”

“Something like that,” Gojo nodded. “Also, that might be connected to your cursed technique. Though the other person I know whose cursed energy had an affinity, it isn't related to their cursed technique. But you might be different.”

Wait, how was he speaking so casually about it and didn't seem surprised? Did he already know? Since when?!

Shinso remembered when Gojo entered the classroom, stared at him, and suddenly said he wanted everyone to spar. It was a bit of a strange reaction from Gojo. Could it be that he had known since then? And he said nothing about it, even as Shinso was going to fight Panda, someone much stronger than him.

“Good, now you all know not to underestimate your opponents,” Gojo said and turned toward them. “No matter how weak they look.”

Why did he stare at him when saying ‘weak’?

“Also, never forget, no matter how outmatched you think you might be, always try and win the fight because you never know; you might just come out on top,” Gojo nodded at them.

It was sound advice, and it was cool seeing their teacher say that. At least until Gojo snickered and added, “Damn, I’m really the best teacher out there.”

“You're so unlikable,” Maki stated outright. But the white-haired teacher didn't look offended at all and even gave her a thumbs-up.

Shinso didn't pay attention to them any longer. Unlike Maki, he knew that despite Gojo's age and power, the man liked to act playful and annoy others.

Instead, Shinso checked his stats and was surprised that something had changed again.

Name: Shinso Masou
Age: 15

Cursed Energy Reserves: 149/157 (Grade 4 Sorcerer)

Strength: 7/100
Agility: 9/100
Endurance: 5/100
Perception: 13/100
Cursed Energy Output: 8/100

Skills:
Sorcery (F)
Cursed Energy Manipulation (F)

Innate Cursed Technique:
Cursed Game

His innate technique now had a name. Was it because he learned what his cursed energy could do to others? Or maybe it was because the suited guy had input the paperwork, and everyone would know his technique as the Cursed Game.

Strangely, his technique's name was quite suitable because he was cursing others to play into his game every time he punched them.

“By the way,” Gojo suddenly poked Shinso’s cheek. “We should go and try later if your cursed energy extends onto weapons, and whether the same effect would fall into enemies when they're hit by a weapon imbued with your cursed energy.”

When did this guy get so close? He hadn't even felt the air around him shift. Also, Gojo was still way too close.

“Personal space, please," Shinso leaned away from the white-haired man and took a step back.

"Now it's your turn to be the stars of the show!" Gojo turned toward Maki and Inumaki. The two young sorcerers stepped forward with resolute expressions.

Shinso stood next to Panda, and not wanting any hard feelings between the two of them, he said, "By the way, I'm sorry for hitting you like that. I didn't even know I could do that."

"Don't worry about it," Panda shrugged. "Pandas don't hold grudges. Besides, it was my fault for not going all out with the first punch."

Wait, what? He wasn't going all out?!

A bead of sweat rolled down Shinso's brow. "It's nice to know we have someone like you on our side."

"You too," the furry beast nodded.

Panda was already so strong by average human standards. But recalling how effortlessly someone like Kashimo had almost killed Panda, Shinso felt a lump in his throat.

He was far too weak. He needed to get stronger!

"Fight!" Gojo's voice snapped Shinso out of his thoughts.

Maki initiated the first move, brandishing a wooden sword as she charged at Inumaki. However, her speed fell short, and Inumaki swiftly commanded, "Stop!"

Her body abruptly froze in place, resisting her efforts to push forward. "What is happening?" she exclaimed.

"That's Inumaki Family's Cursed Speech—a formidable technique that turns words into power," Gojo explained. "By the way, Maki, it was smart to attack immediately. You learned from Panda's mistake, but Inumaki didn't let his guard down either."

Maki remained determined, struggling to break free. Inumaki narrowed his eyes and softly uttered, "Blast Away!"

Maki was sent hurtling backward, resembling a ragdoll. Just before she could crash to the ground, Gojo appeared, halting her momentum. She started floating, and he gently set her down.

"Inumaki is the victor," Gojo declared. "Now that you've seen each other in action, I'll see you all tomorrow. I'm off to buy some milk."

With a sudden disappearance, Gojo left the students in bewildered silence. Shinso half-expected the most powerful sorcerer to reappear as if it was all a prank.

"Are there any more lessons for the day?" Panda inquired.

"I think he forgot to inform us," Shinso chimed in. "And why did he specify that he had to buy milk? He forgot to mention our lessons but shared his grocery plans."

Maki sighed, "I have a feeling he's going to be quite the handful during our time at Jujutsu High."

She wasn't wrong...

The next day, Shinso woke up, having prepared his luggage the day before. There wasn't much to pack, as he didn't have many belongings.

Shinso put on a casual short-sleeved blue shirt and gray pants. It wasn't anything special, but it allowed for easy movement, and he wouldn't have to worry about his bad sense of style, as he'd soon be wearing the Jujutsu High uniform, which was all dark and emo.

He checked the clock; it was nearly six in the morning. "Hopefully Gojo isn't the one who comes to pick me up. He's always late."

A car honked not too far away; it was Ijichi in his sleek car. He waved at Shinso, and opened the window, poking his head out and saying. "Put the baggage in the back."

Shinso did as the man said and climbed into the front seat with a smile. "Thankfully from now on I won't have to worry about rent or utility bills."

"Yeah," Ijichi replied, driving away, not his usual self. Normally, he would have engaged in small talk, like they had yesterday.

"Is something wrong?" Shinso asked.

"N-No," Ijichi stammered, and a bead of sweat rolled down his cheek. "Everything is perfectly fine."

That was suspicious as hell, but Shinso only narrowed his eyes and didn't press further. He didn't want to make his driver nervous while traveling on the narrow roads up the mountains.

...

The rest of the drive was silent, and nothing special happened, except for Ijichi sending subtle glances toward Shinso every now and then, looking almost apologetic.

What was up with that?

But they arrived safely at Jujutsu High, and Ijichi showed him his room. "This is room two hundred; it will be your private room at Jujutsu High. I'll leave you to get settled."

"Do you have somewhere to be?" Shinso asked.

Ijichi cleared his throat and avoided Shinso's gaze. "Yeah, something like that."

Shinso shrugged and walked into his room. He didn't have time to worry about trivial matters. He had already set a goal for himself, and while he was still weak, there was nothing to worry about other than getting stronger.

His room was simple, with a desk, a basic bed, and a clothing drawer. On the white sheets of the bed were three sets of Jujutsu High uniforms, all tailored to his size.

He changed into his uniform and began unpacking, when he heard a knock on the door. Opening the door Shinsow saw Panda and Inumaki.

"Yo! Neighbor!"

"Kelp!"

"Hey, guys," Shinso greeted them. "Are your dorms next to mine?"

"Yeah, Gojo-sensei said it was the higher-ups' decision," Panda confirmed.

There was about a fifty percent chance that their teacher was lying and that he was the one who put them next to each other. But Shinso had better things to deal with than bothering with where Gojo got his laughs from.

"I'm going to train. Do you guys want to come?" Shinso offered.

"Fish flakes."

"What are you training on?" Panda inquired.

"Just the basics. Mostly controlling my cursed energy and getting to the point where I can do it consciously," Shinso explained.

"Well, I would join, but I already know that," Panda declined. "Inumaki and I are going to play some video games in his room. If you need any help, you can come and ask us. Also, if you feel like playing some games after training, you're welcome."

Huh, Panda was quite friendly.

"Thanks," Shinso smiled. "Do pandas enjoy video games?"

"Talking ones do," Panda shrugged.

Shinso found a grassy field near the dorms and mused, "This will do."

He took a deep breath, inhaling the earthy aroma of the grass around him, and cleared his mind. At that moment, nothing else existed in the world except him and his training.

"First, I need to master throwing a punch with cursed energy ten out of ten times," he voiced out his goals so he could visualize them better. He just had to try and use the strange energy that had never existed in his previous body. “It’s magic energy, don’t try and think how it works.”

Assuming a combat stance, he began counting his punches while concentrating on his emotions and cursed energy. Surprisingly, he completed all the punches on his first attempt.

Taking so long to focus was a minor setback that he needed to address immediately.

Once again, he executed the basics effortlessly. "Huh, this is easier than I thought."

Next, he attempted to use his cursed energy to fortify his body. This, too, proved relatively easy, requiring no excessive anger or negative emotions. With a jump, he felt like he was soaring, easily clearing a height double his own.

Holy shit, this was amazing!

Shinso continued experimenting with kicks, jumping kicks, and various punch variations. His body felt weightless, as if he were in a dream, executing any move effortlessly.

It took a while before he settled down and realized he should move on to the next part. He needed a weapon to infuse with cursed energy.

But where could he find one? He had no idea.

Maybe he should practice with a simple stick. However, Shinso recalled he knew someone who could help him get a weapon.

He returned to the dormitory and burst into Inumaki's room. "Hey, do you know where I can find a sword or another type of weapon?"

"You can ask a teacher, but I have my own katana. I once dreamed of becoming a katana-wielding panda, but I had no talent with weapons, and my fists are mightier," Panda shrugged.

Inumaki set aside his game controller, retrieved a plain white katana from his shelf, and handed it to Shinso.

"Thanks, guys," Shinso expressed his gratitude.

"Salmon roe," Inumaki responded with a thumbs-up and returned to his game.

"Hey, don't start attacking my character while I'm not there! That's cheating!" Panda exclaimed, rushing back to the game.

Shinso stared at the weapon in his hand, unsheathed it, and discovered it was much heavier than he had anticipated. Without delay, he attempted to infuse his katana with cursed energy as he left the dormitory.

By the time he walked out of the building, his sword was covered in azure-colored energy with wisps of dark on its edges.

"You have quite a talent for jujutsu," Gojo's voice echoed behind him.

19