003 Dishes test
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mia had no choice but to bring Roxy into the kitchen, instructing her not to touch anything. Roxy nodded obediently.

The kitchen was impeccably organized, equipped with a wide array of cooking utensils. The only sign of recent use was the large pot simmering with a meat stew on the stove.

Mia first opened the kindergarten's refrigerator to check the available ingredients. The spacious fridge was filled with various meats, but there was no trace of fruits or vegetables. Mia gave Rao a disapproving look as she couldn't fathom how kids could grow up without a balanced diet. Undaunted, she continued her search and finally found a dusty bag of seaweed and some intact potatoes. With these ingredients, Mia already had a menu in mind.

First, she meticulously tied all her hair back behind her head and secured it with a headscarf to ensure not a single strand would fall. Then, she turned on the tap, washed her hands thoroughly with soap, repeating the process three times before she began working.

While Rao was primarily focused on supervising the children during their meal, He still allocated a fraction of his attention to the kitchen. Watching Mia's meticulous attention to cleanliness, Rao decided to develop a slightly more favorable opinion of this woman who had inexplicably entered their lives. He appreciaed people who valued cleanliness.

Tonight, Mia planned to prepare three dishes: stir-fried pork slices, mashed potatoes, and seaweed and meatball soup.

She started by preparing the ingredients, rinsing the seaweed several times to remove any dust or sand and then setting it in a bowl to soak.

Then, she thoroughly cleaned the potatoes. There was no peeler in the kitchen, and the only usable cutting tool was a large knife.

With one hand holding a potato and the other wielding the sharp kitchen knife, she expertly peeled the potatoes. The blade, glinting with silver, moved gracefully across her wrist, as if it had a life of its own. In no time, seven or eight potatoes were neatly peeled, with the discarded skins as thin as cicada wings. Mia diced the potatoes into small pieces and placed them in a steamer.

Next, she turned her attention to the meat. Mia selected a lean cut from the refrigerator and sliced it into two portions. One portion was minced into a fine meat paste using a meat grinder, while the other portion was cut into small meat strips and soaked in water. When the next step arrived, Mia hesitated. The kitchen's selection of condiments was limited to salt, such a monotonous flavor wouldn't make a great meal. If she were to secretly retrieve seasonings from her storage space,  Rao's occasional glances in her direction would undoubtedly expose her secret. Should she risk revealing her hidden abilities? Mia pondered.

Tick-tock, the clock on the wall advanced without notice, reaching half-past five. In the distance, a sharp siren echoed from the horizon. It was the warning of the patrol soldiers that Tiger had mentioned before, a signal that they were driving away the vagabonds.

Failing to secure a job meant that Mia would eventually be driven out of the city. Mia retrieved the seasonings she needed from her storage space. As expected, Rao noticed it. He approached Mia in large strides, his tall figure exuding an imposing presence. "You indeed have spatial abilities," he remarked.

Mia remained silent, evading the topic. Everyone had their secrets, and  Rao was not interested in delving into how a woman from the slums acquired such powers. He changed the subject instead. "What is this?" Rao picked up a bottle of vinegar.

"This is a seasoning I made myself. It enhances the flavor of the dishes," Mia replied.

Rao, with a hint of skepticism, unscrewed the bottle cap. The moment he opened it, the pungent aroma of aged vinegar filled the air, making him wince. Rao regarded Mia with a look as if she were a strange creature. "Are you sure you want to use this stuff for cooking? Is it safe to eat?"

"Don't worry, Principal. This bottle contains vinegar, which is produced through the fermentation of sorghum. It's non-toxic and harmless, and it enhances the flavor of the dishes when added."

"Sorghum? Is that a new plant discovered by the research institute?"

"I'm not sure about that. I got it from the market, and I heard it's safe to eat."

"Alright, then. You may continue. I'm curious to see what this peculiar ingredient can create."

Mia started by handling the meat strips. She scooped the soaked meat strips out of the water, drained them, and seasoned them with a simple mixture of salt and potato starch. The meat mince was prepared directly in the meat grinder, with added salt, pepper, scallion-ginger water, and a generous amount of cornstarch. Mia vigorously stirred the mixture in one direction until it gained a smooth consistency.

Given the small number of children at the kindergarten, the quantity of dishes needed wasn't substantial. To save time, Mia lit both stoves simultaneously. In one pot, she poured oil, while in the other, she added water. The salted meat segments were then placed in the hot oil, and they sizzled and crisped up quickly.

Mia's hands worked tirelessly as she used a spoon to shape one meatball after another. With the transformation from raw to cooked, the aroma unique to fried foods wafted through the air. These little ones, who had only ever had milk formula or boiled meat, were now captivated by this new scent.

From infants to the present, their diets had been restricted to milk or bland, boiled meat. They had never encountered such dishes. They gathered by the kitchen door, forming a row with eyes wide open, reluctant to even blink.

"Ann, her food smells so good," the biggest boy among the kids, Henry exclaimed in awe as he stared at the two steaming pots.

"It's alright, not as good as the little cakes I had before," the girl at the kindergarten and their de facto elder sister, Ann, commented, forcing herself to ignore the tantalizing aroma wafting from the kitchen. She had to stay composed. After all, she was the leader, and she couldn't afford to embarrass herself like the younger ones.

Mia picked up a piece of the fried meat, thinking about secretly giving it to Henry, but then she noticed Rao, who was eyeing them intently from the other side. In front of Rao, Mia took a piece of meat, put it in his own mouth, and then, as an afterthought, also fed a piece to Roxy, who had been watching eagerly.

Surprisingly, the meat from an unidentified animal had a pleasant texture. After marinating and frying, the lean meat wasn't tough; it was juicy and crispy. Mia felt that she could snack on it without reservation and enjoy a plateful.

Henry had been longing for this and had come over willingly. However, to his dismay, the meat he had been yearning for didn't find its way into his mouth. The little guy pouted, and his eyes seemed ready to shed tears.

Mia picked up another piece and gave a tentative look to Rao, as if asking, "Can he eat it?"

Rao considered for a moment, observing how his nephew had been captivated by the unfamiliar food, which had been prepared right before their eyes. He thought that his past training had all been in vain if the boy was swayed by a random dish. Did he seriously think that this unusual dish, with all its peculiar ingredients, could rival Rao's boiled meat?

Rao turned away, deciding not to pay any attention to the little scoundrel who was undermining the integrity of their dining habits.

Henry, with his mouth wide open, continued making sounds like "ah, ah, ah," reminiscent of a newly hatched baby bird waiting for its mother to feed it. Mia picked up another piece and gently placed it in his mouth.

The little one began chewing, and his eyes lit up as the crispy and fragrant meat, even with his tender teeth, was easy to handle. He mumbled in praise, his words incomprehensible, "Yumyum! Mia is amazing, Henry wants more."

Mia replied softly, "Don't worry, sweety, I will make it even more delicious for you in a while."

After frying all the meat, Mia didn't waste the oil left in the pan. She poured the sauce she had prepared earlier into the pan. Considering the children's preferences, Mia opted not to add too much vinegar to the sweet and sour pork. Instead, she used tomato sauce as a substitute.

The bubbling sauce in the pan released an enticing aroma, even enticing the puppy that was crouching at the door. The dog tugged on its leash, trying to get closer, eager to have a taste.

Mia let the sauce thicken, continuously stirring the fried meat in it to ensure it was evenly coated with the sauce.

The sweet and sour pork was ready, with its inviting color and rich aroma. Mia quickly removed it from the heat. She tasted the remaining meat broth and found that it had no unpleasant flavors, so she decided to use it. She scooped a few spoonfuls of the broth and added it to the seasonings and starch mixture, creating the sauce for the mashed potatoes.

"Kids, time to eat," Mia announced. She didn't need to remind them; the four children had already lined up with their plates, eagerly waiting for their meal.

 

2