006. Tomato Bolognese Sauce noodles
10 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rao finished the call with Wade. Mia, however, had some concerns. She suggested, "Principal, perhaps we should complete the onboarding process now. It would save you trouble when the security forces arrives."

Rao promptly agreed and swiftly handled the formalities on his end. He assured Mia, "Your information has been processed, and you are now officially an employee of Star Kindergarten. The security forces will no longer trouble you as a 'wanderer'."

Mia expressed her gratitude sincerely, feeling fortunate to have found such a straightforward and accommodating boss. She hesitated before bringing up another matter, saying, "There is one more thing. Can Roxy...?"

Mia's voice carried a hint of anxiety, as she lacked confidence in her request. The conditions for allowing children from the slums to enter the city legally were quite strict. These children could either go through the adoption process or find acceptance through a children's institution. During her short time in the kindergarten, Mia had noticed the special treatment the children there received, likely due to their distinguished backgrounds. Given the excellent facilities in the kindergarten, it was probable that it was tailored for them. Mia had faith that if Roxy was offered the same conditions, she wouldn't be any less deserving than the others.

Rao, however, readily addressed her concern, saying, "As an employee's dependent, Roxy can also join the kindergarten. Is there anything else you'd like to discuss?"

With everything settled, Rao got up and prepared to leave. After a moment's thought, he left Mia with a gentle reassurance, "You can rest easy tonight; the security forces won't come back." Mia's was instantly eased by these words. It had been a day of tension, and Mia was still on edge, until Roxy quietly tugged at her clothes.

"Mia, I'm hungry," Roxy said.
That's right. Mia just realized that they had both gone without food the entire day. Mia crouched down, her heart filled with concern, and hugged her, patting Roxy's little tummy. "How about spaghetti with tomato meat sauce?"

Roxy extended her two fingers, indicating a rough estimate. "It's okay, Mia. I'm just a little hungry."

Feeling overwhelmed with gratitude for her considerate sister, Mia hugged her tightly. "Roxy, you're so kind and sweet."

"Thank you, Mia," Roxy replied with a warm smile. She was just content to be with her. Mia went to the stove, and to save time, she pulled out instant noodles from her storage space. She began by chopping the ingredients: tomatoes, onions, and meat, into small pieces. Since Roxy had yet to officially enter the kindergarten, Mia used her stored ingredients for everything except for cooking over an open flame to avoid drawing suspicion. She then heated some oil in a pan and simultaneously boiled water for the noodles, while also stir-frying the meat sauce.

Mia had diced the meat into very small pieces and even gave it a couple of additional chops. Consequently, it cooked quickly in the pan. With the addition of some simple seasonings and tomato sauce, the sauce became flavorful. After thickening it slightly with a spoon of starch, the tomato meat sauce was ready.

Mia had been busy the entire afternoon without eating anything herself, so she cooked enough noodles. She served them in two bowls: one large and one small. These weren't gourmet noodles; they were just ordinary store-bought instant noodles. However, Mia had perfected the cooking process, so the noodles had a slight chewiness to them. They were evenly coated with the rich meat sauce, offering a delicious blend of sweet and tangy flavors that could make anyone's mouth water.

Mia started with Roxy, mixing her noodles thoroughly, and then used chopsticks to feed her. Roxy had never seen chopsticks before because her earliest memories consisted of surviving on nutrient fluids. Mia fed her carefully, making sure she enjoyed her meal. The first mouthful filled Roxy's mouth to capacity, and she chewed it slowly.

Mia's cooking skills made the noodles seem deceptively soft and delicate, but they still retained a subtle firmness. The meat sauce had permeated every strand, making each mouthful rich in flavor. After a couple of bites, Roxy's cheeks puffed up. She chewed carefully and contemplated the new experience.

However, fearing that Mia was starving, Roxy refused to be fed and indicated with her small head turns that she wanted to eat on her own. Mia switched to a fork for Roxy to manage independently.

Meanwhile, Mia started to enjoy her own meal. Thankfully, the brief pause hadn't ruined the noodles, and she savored every bite. Mia had prepared meals for herself before, so she didn't find it exceptionally delicious. But watching Roxy eat with enthusiasm and satisfaction added a unique flavor to the experience.

Roxy moved her bowl closer to the edge of the table. She gripped it firmly with one hand and used the other to bring spoonfuls to her mouth, eagerly scooping and eating. She was an easy-to-feed child, and even in the slums, she had enjoyed nutrient fluids with enthusiasm. However, this bowl of noodles was something else entirely.

"Yummy!" Roxy's eyes lit up, and without any prompting from Mia, she eagerly used her fork to scrape the bowl for every last bit. The meal was thoroughly enjoyed.

Once they had finished eating, Mia tidied up the kitchen, though there wasn't much need for her to clean. The kitchen was equipped with robots programmed to handle cleaning, so Mia simply needed to place the dishes in their designated spot, and the robots would take care of the rest.

Mia then prepared to return to her dormitory with Roxy. Rao had mentioned that when the kindergarten was built, they hadn't anticipated hiring staff, so Mia would stay temporarily in one of the unoccupied children's rooms. The children's rooms were double bedrooms; Henry and Ann had one room, while Zoey and Martin shared another.

Before going to her own dorm, Mia went to the children's room to check on kids. The children were sleeping soundly. Beside each bed, caregiver robots kept a watchful eye on them, ready to cover them up if they kicked their blankets off.

Mia approached Henry's bed, where he was munching on a pillow and mumbling in his sleep. "Beef slices... xiaolongbao...I want to eat... xiaolongbao, give me another one..." Good lord, he's even dreaming about eating. He's just a little glutton.

Mia chuckled and decided to add xiaolongbao to the menu for tomorrow.

Mia finally brought Roxy back to their room, and the caregiver robot had already adjusted the bed to fit their size. Roxy realized that this was her own space, and her entire body relaxed.

"This bed is so soft!" She happily bounced around for a moment, then leaped onto the bed. It was nothing like the makeshift beds in the slum , with hard wooden planks covered by plastic sheets. The soft mattress enveloped her in comfort, and Roxy gently rubbed her face against the bedsheet. It was the first time she had felt something so soft outside of her own skin.

Mia began to tell her a bedtime story: "Roxy, how about I tell you a story..."

2