Chapter 2 – When fate decides
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2 – When fate decides

 

I was born in a small peaceful village that still in Gram Kingdom’s Territory. My parents were a farmer. I often help my parents when I still a little kid, until I turn into 16 years old. That was when I decided to move out from village and try to work or traveling outside the village.

Well, my parents sure worried about me. But I have decided to go out and broaden my horizon. I believe that this world has a lot of things that I still do not know.

My small village located near the capital city of Gram Kingdom, that is why I arrived in a day in the capital city of Gram Kingdom.

After I passed the gate, I look around if I could get a job to start collecting some money. Of course traveling needs money in order to make a transaction with other people. Well, you can say that money is the easiest way to use as an initiate to interact with other people. In other word, business.

I found myself in front of a café, I saw the advertise. “Looking for a waiters”. So I went and apply there.

“As long as you want to work diligently, I will pay you well” said the manager.

That is how I ended up as a waiters for two years until…

…..

When I came back from work to my boarding house on the suburbs, I saw an unusual advertisement. The title is “Military open recruitment” and yeah it is about recruiting people to become a soldier. But what I want to know, why the advertisement get here? Instead of this place, why don’t they put it in some academy or some place that most people will be selected?

I don’t really interested in it at first. But day after day whenever I came back from work and saw this advertisement. I keep thinking “For the past two years, what have I done? I’m just a waiters.”

I remembering my old times when I still on the small village when I lived with my parents. It was then I wanted to do something other than a farmer.

“….”

SLAP~

I slapped myself.

“Let’s do this”

And that was exactly a week ago when I want to try something new.

…..

The next day,

“Alright,” As I take my medium size bag.

Checking my room once more to make sure nothing is lag behind.

I’m using my fabric clothes as neat as I can.

“Well, I’m a waiters afterall” So let’s do this.

When I arrived at the location written in the advertisement.

“Is it the place?”

I’m looking around, nobody here.

“Maybe I’m too early..”

The place is a wide field in the middle of the city. You can see houses all around you.

“It is weird to see no stall in here”

Yes, the place often used for events and people selling stuff.

When I look around, I saw a man standing in the corner. Seems like a guardian or towns guard because of the man’s outfit like a soldier.

…..

As I walk to the man, the man saw me.

“May I help you sir?” Said the man in a polite tone.

“Uhh, yes. Do you know where I can register for this event?” I pull out the advertisement from my small bag.

“Ah, it’s in here sir, you can register by write down your identification in this paper” said The man while invite me to a near wooden table with a lady sitting in there.

“Please fill the form sir” Said the lady

“Ah, thanks,” While taking the registration form.

While I’m writing the form with quill pen, I’m hearing the conversation between the townsguard (I decided to choose townsguard than guardian) and the lady.

“Do you think this is a good idea? I mean, that plan?” Said the townsguard.

“I hope so, it is direct request from the queen though” Said the lady.

From the queen? Are we need a lot of manpower for the war? Or prepare for the future war?

“Let’s hope it’s gonna be smooth”

The conversation ended like that.

“Here is the form” As I handed the form to the lady.

“Great, you can come back later in the afternoon”

“Thanks,” As I walk away from the counter.

……

I sit down on one of the available café near the field. I choose the chair on the edge of the restaurant to feel the breeze.

“Phew, so cool” While taking a menu from the table.

“May I help you sir?” Ask the waiters in there while approaching me.

“Ah,” while pointing to one of the menu.

“This one, water and sandwich”

“Alright, I will be back with the food. Excuse me” Said the waiters.

As I’m waiting for the food, I see a lot of people starting to gather around the register table.

While resting my chin on my hand, I see two people walking from the register table.

“See, I told you”

“Yeah, yeah, you are right” while walking faster than his friend.

“Hey, hey..” trying to catch him.

That is right, those two are Alvern and Zexalone. But we did not know each other until…

……

“You are failed,” Said the judge.

“W-why?”

“You are too weak, Even you are clever, if you can’t catch up with the harsh of the training, it is useless”

I shock, and keep standing there dumbfounded.

Me? Failed?

“HEY YOU!!” shout the townsguard

“Y-yes?”

“Get out of there”

“Yes..” I leave the field while facing down.

I walked back to where I sat down and ate breakfast

“Hey”

I heard someone calling.

“Hey, you”

I think it’s not me.

“Hey, the one who just failed and almost cry”

“WHO IS CRYING?” I shouted, and look at the person who is mocking me.

“Finally, you see me. Come here”

I see two people that I just saw this morning.

“What do you want?” while approaching them.

“Don’t be sad, we are failed too same as you”

“You do?”

“Come on, sit down here”

I sit on one of the available chair.

“Let me introduce myself, my name is Alvern, and this one is…”

“Zexalone”

When I see them, Alvern bring a medium size backpack and a small dagger on his waist. His hat is on the table near him. While Zexalone only bring his small bag on his waist and the other side a mace.

“You are quite observant” Said Alvern.

“Ah, sorry I did not mean to. It just a habit of mine”

“So neat, what do you do before attending this event?” Ask Zexalone

“I’m a waiters”

“Waiters huh, did not expecting that.”

“And you are?”

“I’m a salesman, and he is an alchemist” Said Zexalone while drinking his beer.

“I can craft things too” Said Alvern.

You can see them from their outfit. Zexalone is using long sleeve with a pouch on his left side chest, like a polite man while Alvern itself looks like a alchemy. Alvern used a glasses, what a rare sight.

“It was harsh” I complained.

“It is, you need to be able to lift a lot of things at least.” Explain Alvern.

“Yes, because you will be wearing armor almost all the time”

“You are right.”

Yeah, can’t be helped.

…..

“Alright, I gotta go now.” Said Alven.

“Same, me too” Zexalone stands up.

“Thanks for cheering me up”

“Don’t mind, good luck” Said Alvern while waving at me.

BUKK,

“Uhuk, why did you do that?” *coughing*

“Cheer up will you?” Laugh Zexaline while walking away.

We ended up separated, well we talked a lot though.

While I’m walking back to my boarding house, I tried to remember our conversation.

From what we talked, Zexalone works at the small company that producing utensils near the harbor. He said that he get the advertisement for joining military from his boss. So he tried to follow what his boss said. As for Alvern, he got the information about military from his customers. His shop is near the capital city by the way, I think he must be rich to be able to work in there, so why did he join the military?

“Sigh, I guess everyone has their own way of thinking”

Yeah, like me who wants to try a new things. But failed.

I can’t get used to this feelings. It hurts so much. Even though I tried my best in enduring the test. But, my stamina, my body, still not enough to meet the criteria that they needed.

I open up my door, and I see a small letter on the ground.

“Did someone..”

I quickly look around, no one is here.

“…, This looks suspicious”

I close the door, and sit on my bed.

“What is this, I hope nothings hurt when I open it”

Yes, I don’t want to feel hurts again. Once is enough for today.

I open the letter, and found a sign from the queen of gram.

“Dear Kino, we hereby approve you to be the one of secret groups. Please come to this place…”

Behind the paper, it’s a map. It shows a tavern place.

“Ask the bartender ‘how the world seen from behind?’ and he will show you the way…”

The letter end up with the queen’s sign.

“Oh my god, is this real?”

I still can’t believe my eyes.

“It says, meet the bartender… No day includes in the letter..”

But, I found this really suspicious. One, no date of the meeting, two, queen’s sign? Third, the place itself near my place. Really?

0