Why Not?
84 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Compared to Li Zhen, who has a huge fan base and even seasoned commentators like Kenny Smith promoting him enthusiastically, Daniel Gibson is undoubtedly in a tough spot.

He initially thought of Li Zhen as a minor character who could be easily fleeced, like a low-risk, high-return NPC with the highest drop rate in the game. So, he threw down the gauntlet before the game, making a solo challenge gesture with the first ball after the game started. However...

To be honest, if Li Zhen hadn't bravely saved the Hollywood sweetheart, Gibson, while not as easily crushing Bruce as he claimed, would have definitely had the upper hand.

But now, Daniel Gibson is clearly falling behind in the matchup. He not only failed to play to his strengths but also exposed his weaknesses under Li Zhen's entangling defense.

While he may have a slightly more robust physique than Li Zhen, he lacks the overall strength to overpower him. Furthermore... his ball-handling skills among point guards are only average at best, and... his court vision is quite narrow. He is more suited to the role of an off-ball attacking guard.

Yet here he is, engaging in a one-on-one showdown with Li Zhen.

As Li Zhen's flexibility has improved by leaps and bounds, his entangled defense has given Daniel Gibson a headache. He can't use brute force to break through, nor does he possess enough ball-handling skills, speed, or explosiveness to unravel the defense. Added to this, his passing speed and vision are deficient. So, Gibson's performance is quite poor.

And due to his frequent solo attempts yielding no results, the entire Longhorns' offensive momentum has been hampered, resulting in a sudden drop in their offensive firepower.

In contrast, the Stanford Cardinal team, under Li Zhen's guidance, may not have a strong scorer, but they can be considered a team with multiple scoring options.

In Kenny Smith's words, "Bruce is like a Steve Nash who doesn't know how to attack. Or, you can say he's a weaker yet faster version of Jason Kidd. With a player like this, how could the NBA not give him a chance?"

When he said this, the first half had just ended.

Li Zhen had 6 points, 9 assists, and 2 steals in the half. In the slow-paced attack with only 20 minutes per half in the NCAA format, this assist efficiency can be considered S-tier.

The Cardinals team also scored 48 points under his leadership.

Although Aldridge of the Longhorns scored 17 points in the half, his team was still trailing by 5 points.

The 62nd-seeded team leading the 7th-seeded team at halftime in the NCAA tournament is already quite a miracle.

Even the well-known draft expert, Chad Ford, had to admit, "If we don't consider physical confrontation and potential talent, he is indeed a very talented player, and he might even make it into the first round."

However, what followed was still his principle: "But... how could the NBA not value physical fitness and potential talent? If you look back in history, you'll find that many NCAA champion stars couldn't make it into the NBA, while high school students who hadn't even played in the NCAA could enter the league with high picks."

To be honest, Chad Ford's words make a lot of sense.

"I don't think Bruce Li lacks talent. You saw the pre-game interview, didn't you? Didn't you hear his teammate TJ Walton say that he couldn't even make the rotation list before? He even said his physical confrontation was like tofu that was cut open in a supermarket, lightly pushed and it would fall apart. But... tonight you've seen it too, Daniel Gibson's physical confrontation is completely ineffective, and he's even surrounded!"

Kenny Smith's arguments left TJ Walton in front of the TV feeling frustrated.

This... this has actually become evidence to boost Bruce's value?

Walton glanced at Coach McHaney next to him.

He was surprised to see Coach McHaney nodding in agreement with Kenny Smith's assessment. "Bruce Li indeed has a lot of untapped potential. I've watched his last four games, and he's been improving in every one of them. The latest data from the fitness team also shows significant improvements in all his metrics."

At this moment, McHaney didn't forget to pat TJ Walton's shoulder. "Regardless of whether we win this game and advance to the round of 32, you need to cooperate well with Bruce in the future."

This statement left TJ Walton quite displeased: Cooperate with him? Have you not figured out who the main player on this team is?

However, even though TJ Walton was unhappy, he still wore a smile on his face. He didn't dare to upset the head coach.

...

The second half of the game quickly began.

The Longhorns finally made a bold move by benching Daniel Gibson and sending in backup point guard Winston. (T/N: No idea who. I think the Author only knows players that will be drafted in the NBA)

Winston is a 6'0"-tall African-American player, and he's quite slender. However, he has excellent ball-handling skills and is a reliable ball distributor.

While he may not be as gifted in various aspects as Gibson, his approach is clear: bring the ball past half-court and then give it to Aldridge.

Aldridge is a superlative big man in the NCAA. Not only does he have a great mid-range jump shot, but he's also solid in low post offense and has nimble footwork. Moreover, he excels in fast breaks, has long arms, and performs outstandingly on the defensive end.

Although Scott is known for his physical prowess, the height difference is simply too significant. Additionally, Aldridge, with both talent and physique, is simply too much for Scott to handle on his own. While Frank Benson often joins in for double-teaming, PJ Tucker isn't one to be underestimated either.

The two big men of the Longhorns wreaked havoc in the paint, scoring consecutively.

However, turning back to the game, Bruce Li remains the key player for the Cardinals team. The newly-substituted Winston is utterly powerless to stop his movements. Li Zhen repeatedly infiltrates the Longhorns' restricted area with his splendid ball-handling skills, exceptional flexibility, and astonishing speed. While attracting defense, he rapidly passes the ball, allowing the team's shooters to blossom on the outside. Frank Benson and Scott have even taken a few hits.

As a result, both teams continue to progress with a balanced stance.

This completely surprised the TV audience.

They originally thought this would be a one-sided slaughter, given the significant difference in rankings.

However... when they turned on the TV, what they saw was the lithe and nimble Bruce Li constantly shuttling among the giants of the Longhorns. He was leading Stanford's stumbling future in his own way, much like King David using a slingshot to wound the mighty giant Goliath.

"To be honest, I see shades of Iverson in Bruce. Even though he's not scoring, they're both facing tough opponents in their own bold ways. This game really reminds me of the first game between the Philadelphia 76ers and the Los Angeles Lakers in 2001!"

With five minutes left in the game, Kenny Smith said solemnly.

He didn't mind at all elevating Bruce Li in front of the entire American audience... He praised Li Zhen throughout the game.

This even surprised the NBA executives in front of their TVs: Shouldn't this be a showcase for the highly-touted LaMarcus Aldridge?

"Do you really think Stanford can beat the Longhorns and advance?" Chad Ford exclaimed, finding Kenny Smith's 'suggestive statement' too unbelievable.

"Why not? Right now, Stanford is leading by one point. Basketball is round, and anything can happen."

Kenny Smith said confidently.

 

2