The Evil Within
877 18 72
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Come on, Bren. We want to hit the houses early so we have the most time for getting candy!” My friend nags me, leaning against my bedroom door with his arms folded. I turn to him with a sigh, carefully putting my gran’s book into my bag.

“I told you already, Ian, I’ll catch up with the group later. I’ve got something to do before I go trick or treating.” Ian shoots me an overly exasperated look. “You all can start without me, I’ll be along after a while.” I shrug, turning back to my messenger bag.

Ian walks further into my room, plopping onto my bed casually. He looks towards my bag, poking at my Gran’s book. “What could you possibly have planned on halloween? Some Pagan thing?” He asks. I bat his hand away from the book gently, closing the flap of my messenger bag.

“It’s nothing big, alright? I just have to run an errand for my grandma.” I turn towards my desk, checking my costume. I’m wearing some long witch robes that my grandmother helped me make. I grab my hat, putting it on and adjusting it until it looks right. She had seemed amused by my halloween costume, constantly pointing out that she’d never worn anything like what I’m currently wearing. She just seemed more amused that I kept having to explain that I’m dressing up as a fake witch and not a real one.

“Can you even read this thing?” Ian says from behind me. I turn abruptly to see that he has my gran’s book open, his eyes ogling the strange lettering and pictures from inside it. With an annoyed huff, I walk slowly from my mirror and snatch the book from his hands. His eyes seem to regard the book carefully, but with no real resolve to try and look at it again.

“I can.” I say simply. After a bit of thought, I amend it with “err, mostly.”

Ian lets himself drop, lying in my bed casually. “What language is that?” he asks, still looking at the book in my hand.

“Gaelic. It’s my Gran’s notes. Old notes though, from when she was younger. I’ve been using it to practice with while learning how to read Gaelic.” I say, stuffing the book into my bag. I carefully avoid mentioning exactly what kind of book this actually is. Though, ‘old notes’ isn't wrong if I’ve been reading this book correctly.

The book is one of my Gran’s spell books. It has all sorts of notes, some that read more like journal pages from her younger years and some that cover her studies in Wicca. It’s a really fascinating book that I’ve been enjoying reading while I learn, if a little confusing at times. I know that my grandma isn’t the kind of witch that can use magic like you see in the movies. The magic she’s been showing me is much more grounded than that. That doesn’t stop her Old Spell Book from referring to magical creatures, like fairies, spirits, and even demons.

That latter category being my actual reason for heading out today, not that I can admit to as ridiculous a reason as that.

Ian shifts back to a sitting position with a sigh, before standing abruptly and heading for my door. “Well, I guess I’ll see you around then. Just text me when you’re finally out and I can let you know where we are.” He throws a hand up behind him to wave me goodbye. I wave back, not realizing until he’s left that he couldn’t see it at all.

With Ian gone, I turn back to the mirror, making sure I look nice. Err, as nice as I can I guess. Unable to find anything wrong with my appearance, I sling my bag over my shoulder and head for the door. As I approach the door I can see Gran already heading for it.

She opens the door and is immediately met with a chorus of tiny voices. “Trick or treat!”

She chuckles amusedly at the children behind the door, offering them each a small bag of handmade candies. “My, I can hardly tell if you’re a real demon or not! Hmmm, you’re not a real demon, are you?” She asks the last child, holding the bag of candy just barely out of reach.

“No ma’am! They’re fake.” He points to his horns and wiggles them gleefully.

“Whew, what a relief! Here you go.” She drops the bag of candy into his bag, waving him goodbye as the lot of them turn around back down the front steps and off to the next house. “Have a blessed Samhain!” she calls after them. They don’t seem to question it, though, too caught up in their newly collected candy and getting to the next house for some more.

My Gran closes the door gently, turning around to see me standing just at the end of the hall. I fidget a little, looking down at my robes self consciously. “Uh, do I look alright?”

She gives me an appraising look, stepping closer and resting her hands on my shoulders. “You look wonderful, sweetheart.” Squeezing my shoulders gently, she gives me a kind smile before leaning in and planting a kiss on my forehead. “Are you off to catch up with your friends? I saw Ian leave here just a second ago, I’m surprised he didn’t wait for you.”

Adjusting my big hat as I pull away slightly, I nod slowly and carefully. I avert my eyes slightly, looking towards the front door. “I told him to run ahead and tell the others I’m on my way.”

I glance towards Gran carefully, watching her eyes trace my face carefully. After only a second of thought, she nods very slightly in acceptance with a small smile. “Alright, run along then. Remember to be back by ten if you can.” Without any further words, she dips back into the living room area right next to the door. She picks a book up from the table, reading it while she waits for more Trick or Treaters to come to the door.

On my way out the door I grab one of the bags of homemade candies lying in the bowl beside the door, slipping it into my messenger bag. I close the door gently, walking down the steps of my house and down the street towards the forest. Pulling my flashlight out of my bag as I reach the edge of the forest, I look around. A couple younger kids are on the other side of the street, but no one is paying any attention to me. Steeling my resolve, I find the path into the woods and step away from the safety of the street lamps.

Clicking my flashlight on, I carefully follow the trail, using one hand to pull out my Gran’s book. I flip to the page I bookmarked earlier describing how to find the trail to the Resting Place. Today is the Blue moon, which is the only day that the book says I would be able to find what I’m looking for. Normally I wouldn’t necessarily believe it, but I don’t want to take my chances otherwise.

“Okay, let’s see…” I mutter to myself, looking for my translated post-it note next to the passage, “Where the trail splits, the moon will offer an alternative.” I continue walking until the split in the trail, looking closely at the two paths.

Watching for several seconds, neither trail looks particularly promising. After several tense moments without any change, I take a deep breath and look at my flashlight. Clicking my light off, I wait for my eyes to adjust and look at the two paths again. Surprisingly enough, both paths don’t seem to have changed at all.

I sigh, peering at the paths closer, searching for any hint of moonlight or anything to have revealed something to me. Unfortunately, the forest has remained growing since the years when my grandmother must have made this. Whatever light that might have shown through the trees all those years ago must have been grown over with leaves and branches.

I sigh, kicking a rock. “All this preparation to hit a dead end so soon?” The rock flies into a bush, disturbing a few squirrels.

I turn to leave and hopefully join up with Ian when my eye catches a faint glow. Away from both trails, a trail of moonshine streaks through a gap in the forest canopy and lights up a small dirt path. Tentatively, I start following the dirt path and the canopy above seems to split in just the right way to keep most of the trail lit. This must be it. The alternative path.

I’m shocked into mute wonder as I follow the path carefully, keeping an eye and an ear out for any dangerous forest creatures. After a few seconds, I notice the silence and stop moving. Where before owls could be heard hooting and crickets could be heard chirping all around, the forest is now deathly still. It’s as if everything in the forest has ceased to be, except for me and this path.

Unnerved, I pick up the pace. The moonlight makes my steps easy, but the occasional branch or stone in the path still trips me up. Several moments of stumbling later and I realize that the path is widening. Less branches and stones marr the path, the branches above branching away from the other trees and letting more light through. The moonlight shines down into a small clearing leading up to the entrance of a small cave.

I pull the book up, opening it to my bookmark once more. In the bright moonlight, I can clearly see the picture of a cave in the book matches the cave in front of me. “It’s real…” I whisper to myself, taking a few tentative steps towards the cave. Pulling up my flashlight, I point it into the cave. The cave is deeper than I would have thought possible, the light only reaching about ten feet into the cave before dying out.

Placing the book inside my bag and steeling my resolve, I take a few tentative steps inside. The moonlight and the entrance to the cave slowly retreat behind me as I continue my trek inwards. My flashlight being my only solace from the inky blackness around me, I clutch it tightly.

Suddenly, all is dark around me. I freeze, listening intently to the natural sounds around me. I shake my flashlight, clicking the on and off button in a desperate attempt to get it to work. Nothing I do causes the light to turn back on, the light stubbornly staying off. I keep fiddling with my flashlight, hitting it against my hand, when I realize that I’m suddenly able to see it.

Looking up, slowly, the cavern walls become visible. The cave around me is lighting up, but looking behind myself the entrance is still dark. A shiver runs down my spine at the sight.

In the slowly brightening light of the cave around me, a strangely distorted sound runs through the cave. “W̠̺̥̙h̴͙̤̯͙̭e̶̷͚̭̯t̡͓͚͉̜h͏̡͉̦͉̺ͅe̖͇̮̖̫̝̹̖͜r̡͍̘̱̦̤̲ ̤̳̖̖̜b̷̛̘͓͚̙̜̮̻̘̫͠y͡҉̦̳̪͚͚ ̗̦̗b̵͙͙̻͎͠r̫̯̯ͅa̮͓͖͉̬̥͖̥v̪͖̬̖̝̠̘͎̲e̵̢̝̟̭̮̘͠r̡͕̱̫̺͉ý̜̬̪͞ ̵̭̭͎̳̬͎͓o͕̩̼͝r̘͕̀ ̢͢҉͇͍̮̞f̧͚̭̖͙͉̥ǫ̤̬̹̱̻̼̙̭̀ơ͈̰̰̰ͅl̢͓i̶̮̲̩͍s̟͍͕͍h̠̘͘ṇ̨͔̖̟̱̘͕̀͢ȩ̷̴̜̻s͘͏̺̩͉͟s̸̮̻̝̮̮̝̬̝͠,͏͚̮̭̱̦ ͚͘͝s̴̼̜̟̝̬͘͟o̸̶̬̘̰̦͙̣̤m͠҉̵̻̣̮͔̙e̗͚̺̜̗̭o̱̬͚̮͇͠͝n̻̺͓̫͟͠é̛͔͙̠̭̻̳̫̖͟ ̰͕̦̤̦̹̫̪͟͡ͅḁ̝̥̜̝̕͜ͅp̢̠̦̺̱͚̟̦͡p͘͏̳̮̯͓̪̖͈r̨̗͍͎̫ͅo̶͞͏̱͎̘̳͉̻à̭͚̞͍̩̠̞̭͓̕͡c̷͚̻̳͔ẖ̹͕̺͙̠̫͍̝̕e̷̴̡̬̥͖͓͔̯̮̙ͅs҉̱͉̦̜͖͚.”

The sound almost sounds like words, but not from any language I’ve ever heard. I cower slightly, feeling simultaneously watched and alone. “H-hello?”

“A̶͕̤̬̞̫͕̼h̰̙̳̖͡͠,̸̴̢̺̟̟̰ͅͅ ̶̩͚̝͈̮s̬͈̖̰͢͟o͕̲͕̻͇̻͇ ̵̙̪ẖ̷̡̠̝̹̗̞̀e̯̻͕͎͚̬̕ ̸͔͙̙͈̠͠ͅs͝͠҉͍͍̠̟͕p̨̠͉͇͠e̷̖̻̳̟a͎k̸͇̮̯͚̲̘̕s͎̹̱̦͓.͚̲̩ ̸̜̥͘Y̙̪̗̦͓͉͖͘͝͞o̸͈̩̗͘ų̱̱̗̱͍̤͢͜ṛ̶̲ ̴̘̙̹f̖͉̫͠e̲̟̥̖̮̘̮̬͍͘͝a͏͎̪̜̤͕̫̺͡r͔͓̙̟̤͍̤̘ ̵̴̡̗̣i͍̳͇̜̻͔s̛͙̟̯͚̜̝͔͢͜ͅ ̢̙̙̞̲p̡̠̫͔̟̻͔͟͡ͅl̷̗̜̘̙̜̤̠͔͠ͅa̡̫͚̗͜i͚̖̝̙̟̕͢n͝҉͕̙̜ ̢̘̲m̭̼o̸̜̕͞ͅr͔̟̙t̶͉̫͉̺̜ͅa̧̧҉̥͈̘̘l̼̯̼̲̘̗̩̀͟.̰͔̫̱͖̹ͅ” The strange noise fills the cavern once more.

“Is… are you… Is this Brur’azal?” I ask quietly, worried about the answer.

“Y҉̀̀̕͠o̶̕u̵͡ ̵̕͞b̸̨̨͟͝u̸̕͟͞t̨̛͠c̴̛͘͜͡h̸̸̨̀͡e҉̡̕r̕͝ ̧m̷̀͘̕͡y̛͞͝ ̡́́͞͝n̷͞҉a̸̡̕͜͠m͘͡ę̸̸̕͢ ̷̵̧͡w̶̨̢͘i̧̛͢͏͡t͡͏̀h̴̸̷͝ ̶y̧͢͡͏o̴͞u͢͠r̢̀͢͡͞ ͏m͡҉o͏͏r̶̢̕͘͢t̸̴̢͝a̸͟͡͡l̡͜ ̨̕͏̀͡t͘͟͠o̵̶͘͏n̵̴g̶̡͢͞u̧͜҉͟͠é͘͟͟͏,̶́͘͞ ͢҉̢b̶̢̧̕ù͟t̶̕͘ ͢͢͞͞ý̛e͡s̨̀͞.” The noise flows smoother now, sounding almost like english, but still undecipherable. “C͏̷҉a̸͜͝n͡ ̢͝͡y̷̢o̴u̡̧ ̀͞ư͘n̡͢͡de̛r̸̡͜s̷̶taǹd̴͜ ͏ḿe͢҉ ͝y̴̧̧ę͡͠t͢͠,͢҉̕ ̢͟morta̷l̶҉̴?̡́̕”

“Oh! Um, you’re getting clearer I think. That is, if you just asked if I can understand you. If not, then um, no, and also probably not depending on what you actually asked or if it’s not a question then, uh… sorry, I’ll stop talking.” I mumble off at the end and the voice seems amused.

“It's ͢been͘ ͡s̴ome̛ t͘i͘m̡e sìn̨çe ̧Į'v̛e ̶ha̧d ̸co̸mpany͢.҉ ͡F̛ơr͟gi̛v̶e͞ ͢m͏e͠ if͢ I fi̴n̢d̸ it̡ har͘d t͞o͠ c͜on̶v͞e̛rse o͏n͠ y͡ou̶r͏ l͢e̶v͢e͢l̡ ̛ag͠àin.” Brur’azal apologizes, politely.

“Oh, um, it’s no problem.” I say nervously, looking around slowly. “Where are you?”

He chuckles darkly, “St͡e͞p f̕urt͘h͜e̸r͏ ͡i͢nţo͏ ̷t͟he̴ c͟a̢ve and y͜ou͡ ͏will seè.͢”

I take a tentative step back. “Um…”

“S̀ta͢y ̕y͏o͝ur ̨fe͞a̶r̴ c̴h̷ild, my͡ p̕r̕is̀on ̧k͘e͞e͘p̶s͝ me̢ ̴cońtain̶e͜d͝.́” He pauses briefly, “F̛or ҉th͞e ͢ti̡me͡.”

Taking cautious steps forward and towards the darker parts of the cave I still haven’t seen, the strange light around me seems to follow me forward until I reach the end of the cave. Carved into the cave wall is an altar, several crystals and symbols carved into stone lie on a natural stone table attached to the wall. “Is this…?”

“M̵y pr͞i̛s̛o͝n.”

“Oh.” I shuffle nervously. “I uh, like what you’ve done with the place?”

The silence is deafening as I struggle to think of something else to say. After a few moments though, Brur’azal replies. “I͡nde̶ed.͘” He says it slowly, I can imagine him quirking a slightly annoyed eyebrow if he could. Or if he had any. “Ho̶w̕ h̕ave̶ you̶ f̶o̴u͟n͟d th̷is ̢pl͜ace ͞ch͏i͟l͡d͞. I ͡w̢a̵s͞ ̡un̨de͞r th͝e ̧i͏mpr̴e͠s͡siơn tha͘t̨ that҉ ̴woman we͡n͠t͘ to ͠c̡er̷t͞a͜in҉ length̨ş to̴ p̷r̵eve͠nt͏ it̶ f̷rom ͞ever̛ b̧e͏íǹg found̸ ͠aga̧in.̷”

I start at that, looking up at the altar in surprise. “My Grandma?” The feeling of being watched intensifies instantly at that.

“You?̛ ̷Th̀é sp͜a̧wn̕ o̧f t́hat wo̕ma͟n? I s͟e͜e the ͏r̛es͠embl̀an̴ce ̛now.͝ So yo̶ư'r͟e ҉a̸ wiţc͘h ҉yourşelf̢.͠” He hums thoughtfully.

“Oh, no. Well, um, maybe? I’ve been learning some stuff from my grandma, but, uh… nothing quite as… magical, as this.” I gesture to the altar, leaning forward and looking at the various stone tablets and crystals around the stone table.

“She ̛t͠o̶l͝d ͟y̷ou͢ ͟of mé,̸ ye̸t̀ ͟y͏o̵u stil҉l͏ wand̀èred̡ oút he͡r̕e͘ ͢a͞l̷one̵?” He inquires, his tone tinged with curiosity.

“Um, not quite.” I pull my Gran’s book from my bag carefully, showing it to the altar and hoping that he can see it. “I read about you in this book. I kind of, sort of, might have come here without permission?”

Brur’azal chuckles once more in amusement and I feel as if I’m being regarded carefully. “W̶h̨a̴t͟ ͢i̷s҉ ̶yo̕u͢r naḿe,̴ c̵h̕i̧l̢ḑ?” I slip the book back into my bag carefully.

“Um, Brennain.” I say. “Sir. Or, um Ma’am? Mx…?” I add at the end, unsure how to be respectful.

“Cal̕l ͠me w͜hat̷ yo̧u̢ ͜wìll.̢ ̢I͢ ͟am͝ ͢a͏ ̶çreature ̵of ̨d̶ìs̢co͟rd,҉ I̡ ̨co͘u͏ld ̀ca̛r͞e ͜le̷ss̷ ͏what̛ ̡you͞ ̛regard ̸mé a͞s.” He- They, I correct myself mentally, say dismissively. “S͘o͠, ͝yo̧u͢n͟g̶ ̴Brennai̢ǹ. W҉h͞a̛t̕ do͜ yo̷u ̧se̡ek th͟at͟ ͢y͠ou͜ w̧ould ̷s͏e͜arçh̡ ̨òut ͝a d̶emo҉n s̡uch a̕s ͟m̀y̕se̷lf?”

“You’re uh, only a lesser demon though, right? That means you’re, like, a safer demon?” I ask carefully, trying to remember my studies. The strange feeling of warped joy fills the cave.

They sound remorseful as they carry on, “It̶ i͠s̵ ̵as ̸yoư s̡a̶y̧,͢ ̶ýoung w̷it͡c̡h.͟ ̶Ala̕s̸, ̢I̵ can͜n҉o͜t̕ ́d͢o͜ m͘u҉ch, ͏b̶ut I҉ ̧can ͏s͢h̴ow͏ y̴o͞u ͟wo͜nders no̕n͝e̢t̸h͢e͏ĺe͡s̴s.͝”

“Wonders?” I ask tentatively.

“Pǫwe͞r̴, ̵if̨ y͟ou w͜is͠h̛. ̵En̴l̷i̶g͢h͏t̵en̵m̛e̕nt. ̢I͢ ̸c͘a̵ņ e̡n̵r͡i͟ch y̕o̴u̴r͘ ͠li͠f̵e͏ ̢i̡n͟ m̧a̡n͏y͏ w̧a͠ys͘.” They pause at that, letting it sink in. I let out a small ‘wow’ at that, trying to imagine the kinds of things a lesser demon could do. “I ͞ca̕n͘n͝o͟t d̵ơ a ̡th͟in̶g f͟ŕo̸m͡ ̧h̕ere̢,̢ thou͟g̕h. I̢ n͢e͜ed ͜a̛ b҉o̷d͞ý i̸n ̴o͝r̢d҉e͡r ̧to ͢u̕se a̧ny o̧f ͢my͡ ̸p̧o̸wers.”

Taking several steps back at that, I feel a chill roll through my body. “Y-you can’t have mine!”

“Rȩláx҉ y̡our͢self̵ ҉ch҉ild.̀ ͡Y̵o͝u m̛i͢sun̡der̛s͏t̡ańd̨.͜ I ̀am bu̕t͠ ̀a͝ le͏s̢ser ̕d̨e̵mon̷.͞ ͜I̧ ͟c̨a̡n̵ņo̡t ͘c̡óǹt͡ro̧l̛ ̨a̧ ͜mor̛ta̷l b͘o͘d̶y,̵ ev͞en͠ ̢i͞f ͢I wi͘she̛d to͜. ̡Su̢ręl̸y͢ ̧your ̴bo̢o̸k͠ tǫl͝d̨ ͜y͟o͘u͟ as̶ ͟muc̕h?” Pausing at that, I look towards my bag, but not pulling out the book. I had read something of the sort in an earlier section.

Lesser demons aren’t like greater demons, they can’t possess people in normal ways. They can co-inhabit a body, or live inside an object though. There wasn’t much further on it in this particular book of gran’s though.

“I ͡m̧er̡e̢l͘y͏ s̸e̷e͞k so̸m̷e s͝ţim͏ulat͝i͘o͢n̵ ͟f̀rom̵ t̶h͡e͜ o̢uts̷i͠d͞e world͟ ́yo̶u͠ng ́B͟r̨en҉na͝i͘n͡. I'm̀ ͏a ̢lesser̛ ͏d͡ęm̶o͟n̷ o̧f̸ kǹo̸w̸ĺe͘d̸ge҉ a͡n͝d̸ ̸I͟'̕vę ̛b́e̸e̢ń s͡t҉ar͏ved ͝o̵f ̛t̡hat͞ ̢wh͞i͏c̨h͝ ͢I ̴c̷ra̵v̡e ͘f̷or͝ ͜y̡e̵ars̸.͟ Sh͠ow̧ ͞m̧e̵ ҉the ̕won͡ders̢ ̡t̨h͟e w̧o͢r̛l͢d h҉ás t͝ó ̧of͘f͢e̴r ąnd ̷I͟ ͟can͝ tea͞c͏h ͡yo͟u t̛h͠e͘ w̨ond̛er͝s o͟f͢ the̶ s̀uṕern̵atura͟l wo͢r͟ld͝.͏” Their voice is low, but their tone has turned enticing.

I look at the altar, looking at the various symbols carved into stone. Surely, there has to be a reason my grandma trapped them here? “I… I can’t. My grandma would get mad at me.” I say quietly.

“Ah,͘ Y̧o̵un̵g Gl̶in͏d͡a͠. S̨h̛e ̴wás rat͞h̛e҉r̛ ͡sho͟rtsigh̴ted. Qui̧t̷e co͡nv̨i͜nc̵ed th҉at a̶ll demon̵s̛ ҉a͡r̀e evíl.͢ I̢t's u̢n̵fo̕r̷t̶unat̛e ͢t͏o̵ ͘se͘e ̀y͘ou h̡àve ́in͟he͝rited̵ her pr͝ȩj͞u҉d͝i҉c͠e̕.” They say bitterly.

“I… Prejudice…?” I whisper to myself. “But, but… they are, aren’t they?” I ask, unsure of myself.

“I͏s͠ ̷t̕h͢e̡r̶e̴ ̨a͏n͢y spe͏cies thát̸ ͝i͏s ṕưrely ̴e͟vil?” They say quizzically. “T̴he͢ t̸a҉l͜es͞ o̸f ̛o̶ld ḩav̶e͞ d̴one ̛m͟y͢ ͡kin̷ ͏a ḑisse͟rvi͢c̡e.̵ ̛Som̧e͘ ̵are ̷as͡ y͢o̷u ̧may thi͜ńk,͢ bu̴t ̴ther̷e ͠a̧re ̵many̶ ͜wh͏o a͏re͠ ̧i̶n͝no͠c̵e̵n͞t̴. I̡f ỳo҉u w̷i̶sh̷ ̷t͏o ͝k̴n̡o̕w the͏ ͜t̕ru͡th, I c̡a̧n ͘teac̵h́ ͞ýou. H̨o͜we͡v̵er, ̀i͡f ͡you̕ do҉ no͠t̕,͏ ̛t̕hen̸ ̡Í ̷ask ͠ýou ͡l͠eav͞e ҉me ͢b̧e. You͢r ̧c̛o͠ntin̷ue̡d̷ p͠r̕e͏śence ̨w͠ou̢ld b͘e ̸n͜o͝thing͟ b̶ut́ s͠a͝l̡t ̛in a͡n̷ o͘ld ̴wo͝ùńd.͝”

I mull this over, my head spinning slightly at what they’re claiming. There’s still so much I have to learn, is it possible that my Gran’s books could be wrong about this? After a moment of thought, I pick up one of the crystals. “Nothing could happen if I release you, right? You can’t do anything that I don’t wish you to?”

“It is̵ ͘a͘s ͜y̷o̢u͡ ̕s͟a̷y̕. ͝I wo͡ưld s͢ti҉ll ͞b͘e ͢un͠d̕e͏r y̷ơur purv̵i̸ew.̶ ͡You m̷a̢y͝ ̡f̶in̢d̵ y͟o͜ur t͏hirs̢t̵ ͏f̛or ̢kn͟ow͘led̕g͜e ͏incr͘ease̶d̶, ͜s͜eei͡nģ as ̀I̧ am͞ a̸ ͠b̡e͞in͜g ̡of ̀kno҉wl̷edg̛e.͏” They admit plainly.

“That’s not too bad… maybe you can help with some of my studies?” I ask hopefully. “Would anything change, erm… physically? I think I read something like that and it would be a little hard to hide horns or something if I grew those.” I ask.

Their voice turns thoughtful as they answer, “ah́,̷ ph̡ys͝i͜cal͜l̶y͞, yo͢u̴ ͡m̴a҉y̵ ̀gr͜oẃ le͘a͞nèr͝ ̴an͢d͟ s͘tr͢onger̢. ̨It’̀s pos̶s̵i̢bļe ͠t̸h̢a͝t ͢yo͝u͞ ͟mi̶g̛ht ̕grow͜ ̵s̶ome ͝d͠i͠şt̢i͞nc͟tly͠ non-͘hum͞an͘ ̵f̀e͏at͟u͟re͜s, ͞b͘ut w͝ḩen̴ I̴ a͜m ̀rȩturned͘ t͢o my ̕f̶u͟l̕l͜ st҉r̛ength, I shoùl͢d ͏b͟e ̶able ͠t͢o͠ ̧he͏l͝p you̶ ͡co̕ncèal̷ th͘em͞.͝”

I consider this, looking at my body tentatively. Becoming leaner should be… good, right? Stronger too. The idea of growing muscles makes me a little queasy, but… I have to do the right thing. I really don’t want Brur’azal to remain trapped here if they really are innocent. If they aren’t, then… well, my grandma trapped them away once, surely she could do it again.

“Okay, how do I help?” I ask, quietly, looking at the Altar and the crystals.

The watchful feeling becomes even more intense as the warped joy in the air starts to ripple around me. “Yo͠ù ̴al͘rèady ̧hol͞d t͠he҉ kèy ̀in ̴yo͟u͢r ͞h͠an͘ds͞.̴ L̸ay ͜y͏o͡ur h͞a̕nd̢ a͡g̴ain̨s̶t̨ the ca҉ŕv͝ed̀ s̡ym̡bo̧ls̷ ͏on͟ t̀h͞e ̸wal͠l̴ ̨an̕d ̵st͜o̸mp o̷n t̀he͞ ̷c̷ryst͢a̕l ̀o͝n t̵h̀e ́g̀ro҉u͝n҉d͏.”

Carefully, I lay the crystal on the ground, planting my foot on it. Laying my hand against the wall, I stomp hard on the crystal. As it cracks, the strange feeling in the room seems to freeze in place. The faint light around me dies out as everything collapses inward on me.

My world is a thousand colors as my body is alight with sensation. My skin seems to ripple oddly as something otherworldly runs through it. In the new darkness of the cave, I fall backwards onto the smooth and carved stone floor. The cool stone underneath stands out against the rush of lava coursing through my veins. Heat envelops my being as sensation overwhelms me and a thousand colors quickly become none and my vision fades to black.

Hazily, the world comes back to me, the cave around me still dark. My flashlight shines brightly against the cave wall beside me, having come back to life while I was out cold. My body feels simultaneously on fire, and chilled to the bone. I push myself up, my body feeling numb as sensation returns to all of my limbs.

I pick up my flashlight, a throbbing sensation in my skull increasing as I try to move abruptly. I slow down, waiting for the pain to pass. Slowly, a cooling feeling enters my head, clearing the last of the haze with it. As the cooling sensation travels downwards and sensation returns to my body, several sensations fight for my attention. Before I can confront any of them, though, a voice in my head surprises me.

Ah, stimulation once more. Out of that blasted prison at last. Their voice is much clearer now, speaking in fluent english.

“Wha-” I stop talking immediately at the sound of my own voice. My eyes instantly shoot down as my hand shoots up to my throat. My hand arrives first, feeling how strange it feels now. Turning my other hand with the flashlight towards my body, my eyes go wide at what they see.

Breasts. I have breasts. They’re small, and I could have missed them under my robes easily, but I can feel them. In the process of moving a hand up to feel them, I notice something somehow even more shocking. My skin has turned a bright candy red, the color of blood. I raise my other hand up, rubbing at it fiercely, but the color doesn’t come away. That’s just what my skin looks like.

Maneuvering my flashlight so that I can look around my body, I find a long forked tail flicking around at the bottom of my robes. Focusing on the sensation, I can tell that it’s attached to me. The thought sends a strange shiver through my body. I feel around my head and find some horns.

“I-I’m… a demon?” I say, looking at my body once more in a mixture of fascination and horror. “...and a girl.” I add, for good measure.

You have some of the features of a demon. You’re more of a hybrid. Not enough eyes or arms. Brur’azal comments, reminding me that they’re inside my head now.

‘Definitely glad I don’t have any more arms or eyes.’ I think to myself quietly.

They could be useful. Brur’azal responds, reminding me that my thoughts aren’t quite as private as they used to be. There’s a deep and rumbly chuckle inside my head that slowly rolls into a full blown hearty laugh. Yes, this feels good. I would say that I’m sorry, but there’s no use lying to you anymore. At this point you should begin to feel your darkest desires bubbling to the surface! Foolish child, I’m not a Demon of Knowledge, I’m a Demon of Pure and Unadulterated Evil!

My blood chills immediately, a pit settling in my stomach unevenly at this reveal. I’ve been tricked, and at this point there’s no going back. I feel my blood rushing to my head aggressively as I wait for my deepest and darkest desires to overwhelm my rational mind. I close my eyes tight in preparation for the worst. What kind of monster have I become?

Now that your corruption has commenced, what is your ambition? They ask fervently, sounding excited.

I wait for a second. Opening one eye slowly. Has… has it already happened? Have I already given into my deepest evil? “Um… Ambition?” I ask out loud.

Internally I hear a huff before they reiterate, Yes, your AMBITION. What dark deeds are you compelled to commit? Now that I am free, together we will reach for the stars! Their words are filled with vitriol and poison so intense that I wince. Now, what compels you most right now. Aren’t you tired of being nice? Don’t you just want to BREAK something?

“Um… no? I don’t think so?” I look down at myself, twisting my body this way and that. “I guess I feel kind of… good though? Is uh, is that evil?”

Brur’azal is quiet for some time before I feel a wave of confusion from them. I can feel their presence probing at my consciousness gently in an attempt to understand. It actually kind of tickles if I focus on it. Like, mental tickling. Confidence? Or do you feel powerful? Like you could CRUSH your enemies?

I think for a second, touching my horns absently. “Um, no. Or, maybe? I feel… really clear? Like I’ve been living with a slight buzz in the background, but now it’s not there anymore?” I look down at my new assets, lifting a hand up to cup my breasts. “Oh gods, I’m a girl now and I still feel good about myself… I-Is that my evil?” I ask quietly.

What

“Well, I mean, like, I don’t feel any dysphoria or anything! I should feel something! Oh no, is this my evil? Do I not have any emotions? Could I kill in cold blood and not feel anything now.” covering my mouth in horror I start to hyperventilate.

No! You fool, you still have your emotions! What’s the point of murder if you won’t enjoy it!

My breathing slows down again, looking at myself in confusion. “Oh,” I say quietly. “Well, um, that’s good I guess?”

No! What’s happening, where is your darkness! Your dark compulsions! They growl in frustration. An image of a demon rummaging angrily through my brain as if it were a filing cabinet comes to mind. I hold back the urge to giggle slightly as they continue to sift through my psyche.

I think really hard about what thoughts come to mind immediately and come up blank with anything that feels like a compulsion. Glancing down at my body occasionally, my face grows hot as an absolutely scandalous thought comes to mind. “Oh no.”

What? Did you think of something? What is it!?

“I…” I gulp, trying to push the thought away. “No, I can’t… it’s… it’s too shameful. This must be my dark compulsion…” I say quietly in dawning horror.

Yes! YES! FEEL IT, CHILD! EMBRACE IT! What is it? Tell me!

Steeling my resolve, I focus on the thought, folding my arms across my chest and shifting uncomfortably. “I…” taking a deep breath, I close my eyes tight. How far I’ve fallen so quickly. I’ve unleashed ultimate evil on the world, and it’s all my fault. “I was thinking that I would look really really good in a dress…”

For once, Brur’azal is silent. The absolute depths of my depravity have shocked them so deeply to their core that even an entity of pure evil is stunned by how depraved I could be… After several seconds though, they finally speak. What have you done? Why do you mock me, child? HOW do you mock me? Your natural evil should have completely overwhelmed you by now, and yet you feel nothing!

I look up at the cave ceiling in confusion, speaking out loud to them “Was that not evil enough?”

IT WAS NOT EVIL AT ALL.

I gasp, “What! But that’s what I was thinking of! Why else would I be thinking of it unless it was evil! Didn’t you say that you were a demon of evil?”

I AM. Why are you not CORRUPTED yet!? Haven’t you ever done anything bad? Tell me your bad habits, maybe I can figure out what you SHOULD be thinking. Inside my head I have the mental image of a demon sitting in a chair and holding up a notepad. I slowly lower myself to the cave floor and lay down on it as if I were being interviewed by a therapist. Surely there’s a reason they do this in movies.

“Um… I used to use my grandma’s perfume without her permission? Until she got me my own that is. She makes it herself, it smells like lavender.” I offer.

Hmmm, some theft then, it seems. Trivial, but it’s a start. What else?

I strain my brain. “Um… I guess my eyes have been kind of wandering lately. I don’t really want to seem like a creep, but I’ve been looking at some of the girls in my year lately? They’re all really beautiful and it makes me feel kind of weird?”

That… I’m noting it down, but this isn’t really evil. This just sounds like you’re a teenager and a bit of a nervous wreck.

I frown at that, shooting a mental look at Brur’azal. Okay then, something really evil. What’s evil? Something my grandma would be really mad at me for doing… “Ahah! I go by a fake name with my online friends and they all think I’m a girl, but I’ve never bothered correcting them! I’ve been lying to them all this time and I’m a horrible friend.” I hold myself close, wallowing in my shame.

There’s another long pause, but this time followed by a deep sigh. Mentally, the notepad they had been writing notes in drops to the floor and vanishes in a poof of smoke. That’s not evil either. Are you really completely bereft of evil? How could I be so foolish as to trick someone so innocent and naive into releasing me! You need to have evil for me to corrupt you!

I sit up, twiddling my fingers. “Um, sorry?”

Do not patronize me, child. This failure stings enough. They snap at me, sulking in a corner of my mind.

I nod slowly, picking myself up and dusting myself off. “So… I’m not turning evil?” I ask gently.

Pfft, They snort quietly, If only, child. Your desires are mundane at best and pure of heart at worst.

“Oh.” I nod, looking down at my new form with mixed feelings. “Wicked.”

Far from it.

“Err, it’s an expression. It means ‘cool’ or ‘radical’.” I explain. Brur’azal sneers at me from their mental corner, derision dripping from their every thought. “Hey, it’s not all bad! At least you made me a cool demon! With, uh, horns.” I say cheerfully, pulling up my tail as an afterthought, “and a tail.”

Cease your platitudes and leave me to wallow in peace.

I fidget, still holding my tail. Wringing it gently, I look up at the cave ceiling. “It’s still early in the night. We could catch up with my friends and go get some candy?”

They seem to consider this for several seconds before leaving their mental corner and returning towards the front of my mind. ...It has been some time since I have partaken in any food, much less a delicacy such as sugar. Do they still make the sphere’s of malted chocolate?

I blink, looking into the middle distance in surprise. I adjust my bag and pick up my flashlight from the floor where I dropped it at some point in my despair over possibly turning evil. “You know about Whoppers?” I ask as I start making my way down the cave and back towards where I entered. Or, I guess it’s our way now?

Indeed. My last host before I was imprisoned pulled off many heists with my help. In the infancy of our professional relationship, he started small…

As we walk back onto the forested path and back towards the street I live on, Brur’azal recounts some of the exploits they partook in with their previous host. I listen attentively the whole way.


“Ian! Wait up!” I call ahead, finally seeing my group of friends. They traveled farther than I thought they would have in that short trek into the forest.

Ian and the rest of our collective friends stop, turning to look at me as I jog to catch up. After a couple of minutes, I find myself panting at the front of the group, catching my breath after the long walk out of the forest and the jog it took to look for my friends. “Um… hello?” Ian says, looking me up and down. His eyes snap to my hat, his jaw dropping slightly.

“Um, Ian, who is this? Do you know her?” My friend Sally says. I turn to her and see that she’s wearing a large cloak like a vampire, with some tacky fake fangs attached to her teeth.

“I- No, it- I don’t think-” Ian is rubbing his eyes, looking me up and down.

Your form is still that of a demon. The demon inside my head notes.

‘I mean, it’s halloween. Plenty of people look like demons.’ I look down at my body, thinking for a second. ‘Oh yeah, I’m a girl now too.’

Indeed.

“Who is it, Ian? Didn’t you say we were waiting for Bren?” One of my other friends, Chad, adds. Ian is still stammering in place though, unable to answer any of their questions.

‘Uh, shoot. What do I tell them? I can’t just tell them that I’m a girl now!’ I ask internally, feeling a little bit of panic well up inside me.

Why not? What could they possibly do about it?

‘Uh… Oh, hmm… Nothing I guess? They could not believe me?’

They are close-minded fools, then. We have more pressing matters at hand than that. Internally, I can hear Brur’azal ending the sentence with a snarl, mentally folding their arms in finality.

I do giggle this time, causing Sally to glance over at me curiously. ‘You’re really serious about those whoppers, huh?’

They are a sinful pleasure and far more worthy of my time than the affairs of mortals. I shrug in response to that, pulling the pillowcase I use for trick or treating out of my bag.

“Hi y’all, uh, sorry I’m late! I’m here now, though.” I say casually, throwing them all a cheerful smile and a peace sign for good measure. “Hope I didn’t miss any good houses. We’re- er, I’m dying for some whoppers.” I wince at the slip up, reminding myself mentally that they really don’t need to know about the demon my body is hosting now.

That was enough to snap Ian out of his daze. “Bren?!”

I wince at that. It hadn’t really occurred to me that now that I’m a girl, I should probably have them call me something other than Brennain. “Erm, yeah. Hi.” I wave gently. “Long story, don’t really want to get into it, but I’m a girl and you should probably call me…” I turn my eyes upwards, staring blankly into the brim of my witch hat as I try to think of a name.

Trizzoxine, the endless fear and usurper of earth. Brur’azal supplies.

“Uh… Triss. Call me Triss for now,” I say instead.

Coward.

‘Trizzoxine is a mouthful. Also almost certainly not human.’

Everyone is staring at me bug-eyed now, no one moving an inch. I shuffle a little, glancing between them. “Um, hello? You all caught that right?”

Chad slips out from the back of the group, appearing at my side. “Yeah, they’re just a little shell-shocked. You can’t just go around dropping big ones on us like that, Triss!” Chad says casually, looking me up and down. “You’ve got a lot to explain later by the way. Like, for instance, I’m pretty sure we used to be the same height?” He places a hand on top of my hat, brushing it against my horns inside my hat.

“Ow!” I push his hand away, rubbing at my horns. “Jeez, don’t touch the horns. That hurt.”

He looks at me bug eyed for a few seconds. He shakes his head, replacing his expression with a kind smile. “And that. You’ll have to explain that.”

I nod, turning to the rest of the group. Ian, bolstered by Chad's confidence, speaks up. “Bren…? Is that really you?”

I scowl, showing him my bag. “Yes, and I just said it’s Triss now! Jeez, you even saw my costume beforehand and everything.”

He backpedals, crossing his arms. “What! I mean, you weren’t dressed like a demon girl then! Just a Witch!” He points at my face, “And you’re even wearing contacts now! How was I supposed to know when your eyes are gold like that.” He crosses his arms grumpily.

“Wait, they are?” I say, pulling out my phone’s camera to look at my eyes. “Darn, it’s too dark to see.”

“How do you not know!” Sally exclaims. I just shrug, not knowing how to answer that. She’s got me there.

“I uh, didn’t do my make- EEP!” I turn around, looking at Chad picking up my tail. I snatch it out of his hand, holding it against myself tightly. “NO TOUCHING.”

Your friends are an inquisitive bunch.

“I was just thinking that the craftsmanship on that is amazing! What’s it made of? How does it move? It was warm to the touch too, that was weird!” He says excitedly. I glare daggers at him, daring him to touch my tail again. He holds up his hands in surrender as he grins at me.

Our final friend of the group, Dana, seems to have recovered from her shock, pointing over her shoulder. “If you’re all done ogling Triss, can we get back to trick or treating? We’re burning…” She glances up at the moon, “Moonlight.”

Chad salutes, returning to the front of the pack with a renewed vigor. Sally continues eyeing me for a few more moments, but she eventually returns to talking with Chad about whatever they were talking about. Ian picks up the pace, stealing glances at me occasionally, but otherwise looking awkward. I fall in line, walking beside Dana. She glances over at me, catching me looking at her. “Thanks,” I say in a hushed tone, “Was slowly losing control of the situation there.”

Dana nods, looking me up and down. “This is something weirder than the normal wiccan stuff your family practices, huh?”

I feel my cheeks heating up as I just stare forward. “Uh, I don’t know what you mean.”

I hear her snort beside me and turn to see her rolling her eyes. “Triss, your blush is purple. I don’t think I need to tell you how not normal that is. You can pull the wool over the eyes of the others, but I’ve seen enough freaky shit to know when somethings going on.” She hangs her head slightly, holding her hand up to stop me before I can say anything. “Look, I won’t pry. Just reassure me that I’m not making a mistake by trusting you to handle whatever it is that’s happening.”

This friend in particular is very perceptive. How intriguing.

I nod my head up and down, giving her a thumbs up. “Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

Dana nods, turning back to look ahead. “Cool. Then my lips are sealed.” She shoots me a smirk, her eyes turning to my backside. “You gotta let me feel the tail though.”

I pull my tail closer. “No! It tickles!”

Dana’s eye’s narrow as her grin widens, “Come ooooon.”

Ooh, mischievous too. I like this Dana already. Give her your tail!

‘Oh gods, not you too.’ I hurry forward and away from Dana, matching pace with Chad as we approach my first house of the night. Looking back at Dana, I see her eyeing my tail as she sticks her tongue at me playfully.

The door opens shortly after Chad knocks on it. “Trick or Treat!”


My front door creaks gently as I crack it open slightly. Peeking my head through just a bit, I don’t see my grandma near the door at all. “Hello…?” I whisper quietly.

No one will hear you if you don’t speak up.

“Shush, clearly she’s already gone to bed and I should just do the same for now.” I whisper to myself, pushing the door open more. I sneak inside, feeling the wood creak under my feet. “I can talk to her tomorrow.”

“Brennain? Is that you?” I freeze at the sound of my gran, her voice carrying from the kitchen. I look around quickly, looking for somewhere to hide.

“Uh,” I say loudly, “no?” I feel Brur’azal’s eyes narrow inside me at my gran’s voice.

Gran’s head peers from around the kitchen door suddenly, her eyes piercing me as I stand stock still, nowhere to go. “Who are you?”

“Um, hi Gran.” I kick at the floor, absently. “I’m home?”

Your eloquence is astounding. They snark at me.

“Oh, shush.” I tell them, my eyes widening as I realize I said that out loud. I raise a hand to my mouth, clamping it shut. The damage has been done, though.

My Gran finally steps out of the kitchen, her arms folded and her eyebrow raised. “I didn’t say anything.”

“Oh, Sorry. I was talking to, uh…” Nice job, me, might as well come clean now. “To Brur’azal?” I answer. My tail is flicking at my side agitatedly, so I pull it into my hands and hold it still. “They were being rude.”

Gran’s eyes go wide at that as she takes a step back defensively. “You… Brennain? You freed Brur’azal?” She doesn’t take another step, but I do see her eyes darting around the room.

Good. She should be afraid of me. I mentally shush them once more, wincing carefully at the reminder that I have technically made a mistake.

“Um, yeah. Kind of. Sorry.” I bow slightly in apology. “It’s okay though! They can’t really do anything. Aside from making a kind of annoying running commentary in my head.”

You take that back! I’m a scourge upon this earth! Now that I’m free, it’s only a matter of time before I find a way to make my mark. They seethe. Also, I am not ‘annoying’.

‘You threatened everyone who didn’t give us whoppers!’

That’s their fault for carrying inferior candies. I roll my eyes at that, focusing instead on Gran. She’s recovered a bit, staring me down intensely.

“How can I know that this isn’t just a trick by Brur’azal.” She says carefully.

I snicker at that. “Hehe, I’m not sure that they even understand subtlety.” 

I tricked you, didn’t I?

“Ouch, okay, touché.”

“Who are you talking to?” Gran asks carefully, “Brur’azal?”

I nod, looking up towards the brim of my hat in thought. “Uh, yeah. They’re kinda stuck there as far as I can tell. They wanted to use me as a host to corrupt me I think…? But, um, apparently I don’t have any evil inside me for them to influence, so they’re just kinda there.” I shrug, dropping my tail and holding my hands behind my back. “Did make me look like this, though. Um, not that I mind! I think the tail is actually kind of nice.”

Gran just stares at me for a few seconds, taking cautious steps forward. She gets closer to me and I just meet her eyes, getting nervous as she gets closer. “Um, Gran?” I ask gently, “are you okay?”

Me?” She asks in shock. “What about you, Brennain?”

I wince at that. “Um, actually… could you call me Triss? I’m not a boy anymore, so…” I turn gently, looking at my back and generally showing my whole body. “That name doesn’t quite fit anymore? I like Triss, though. It’s nice.”

Trizzoxine, the dark apostle and plague of the damned.

“Okay, you’re definitely ad-libbing that title each time.”

They shrug mentally, reclining lazily. It matters not what people call you, so long as they respect the weight of your name.

I nod slowly, looking back up at Gran. She’s staring at me, watching me talk to Brur’azal. I feel awkward knowing that she can only hear my side of the conversation so I try to explain. “When I was trying to think up a new name, Brur suggested… Trizzoxine? They added this weird edgy title after it. It’s actually a kinda cool name, though, so I just shortened it to Triss for now.”

They are not edgy titles, they are intimidating. They are meant to invoke fear.

“If someone heard me call myself that, though, they wouldn’t be afraid. They’d just think I’m a bit of a weird loser.” I argue, folding my arms in front of me.

That is because you have no presence. They pause for a moment before continuing. An intimidating enough title could change that, though.

I shake my head, turning back to my Gran. “Uh, sorry, they’re being a bit silly.”

You bite your tongue mortal. I am evil incarnate. I am never SILLY.

“You’re a little silly,” I correct, my thoughts going to how strangely insistent they’ve been about the whoppers all night. That’s silly behaviour as far as I’m concerned.

You will pay for this insolence in time.

“It’s really, truly, you?’ Gran asks once more, grabbing my shoulder gently. I lean forward, hugging her gently. She doesn’t resist scooping me into a full embrace.

“Yeah, it’s really me.” I nuzzle my face into her gently, trying to be aware of where my horns are so that I don’t accidentally poke her. “I’m sorry about freeing Brur’azal, Gran. In my defense, they really didn’t seem all that evil when I first talked to them.”

She pulls me closer, hugging me tightly and heaving a deep sigh. “...It seems that we’ll need to have some more in depth lessons about Demons. That is exactly how they get you.”

If I have to listen to this woman’s lessons regularly, I wish I would have stayed imprisoned indefinitely.

“Brur!” I hiss quietly.

Gran pulls me away gently, looking me in the eyes. “What did they say?”

“They were just being rude.” I flick my eyes upwards, directing my attention to them once more. “Be nice to her, she’s my Gran. Yours now too, kinda.”

That wretched witch has foiled enough of my plans. I owe her no respect.

Frowning, I fold my arms. “I was thinking about maybe picking up some more whoppers and other treats to try later, but I can just pass on those for a while.”

There’s a grumbling noise from them for a moment as I feel them mentally shrinking slightly. The child knows not evil, but is well versed in cruelty… I will thrive yet.

“Say a proper apology.”

…The witch’s wretchedness has yet to truly be seen. I shall bite my tongue for now.

Smiling, I shake my head slightly. “Good enough for now, I guess.”

I look back at my Gran as I hear her let out a small breath. She’s shaking her head in disbelief. “It’s very surreal to hear you speak so casually to a demon. I always knew that you would be a good witch, but I definitely didn’t expect all of this.” Reaching out a hand, she places it between my horns and ruffles my hair gently. “Now,” folding her arms, she looks me in the eye, “how did you come to find Brur’azal in the first place.”

My tail wraps around my leg nervously as I glance away. "Uh…" I swing my bag around and pull her book out slowly. "I may have looked into your spell book without letting you know." No, this is truly my darkest hour. My ultimate evil having come to light, Brur'azals corruption has finally driven me mad.

They sigh deeply, sounding bored when they correct me. I had no part in that. You came to find me out of your own naivety.

`Oh yeah. Right,` I think idly, `That's a relief.`

Gran takes the book from my hands, pinching the bridge of her nose gently. "How long have you known about this book?"

"Uh… a month or two?" I shrug, "I didn't get most of it. Gaelic is really hard."

"Well, I'm just glad that you're mostly safe. Some of the stuff in this book can be really dangerous, Brur'azal included."

"Really? They haven't been too bad so far."

What part of Demon of Evil did you miss?

At the same time, Gran responds with a deadpan look. "I understand that your experience has been fine so far, but they are still a demon, dear."

"Well, yeah," I say, nodding along with what she's saying. "But, a lesser demon, right? That means they're safer?"

Brur's chuckle makes me feel stupid as my Gran answers more genuinely. "Lesser than a full-fledged demon, but they're still plenty dangerous. What you did could have been disastrous…" cringing inwards at her words, I nod in understanding. I know when I've messed up. "But… If you really are immune to their corruption, then I suppose I'm glad it was you who let them out and not someone else." I continue nodding, giving her a slightly restrained smile. "I'm still worried though. I'm going to have to perform a couple check ups to make sure you're really fine."

I sigh. "Yeah, that's fair."

She folds her arms in front of herself, "Also you're grounded. Two weeks."

WHAT?!

I wince at Brur'azals screaming inside my head, still just nodding along. "...that's also fair."

I have no involvement in your petty human squabbles, why must I suffer your punishment as well?

I raise my hand gently, waiting for Gran to call on me. She sighs, shaking her head. "This isn't a lesson, Br- ahem, Triss. What is it?"

"Brur's asking why they're getting punished too."

She looks flummoxed at the question. "For tricking my grandchild for one! As well as a litany of prior offenses which I feel I need not go into." She shakes her head in disbelief. "Not now, at least."

Brur'azal chuckles darkly. Guilty as charged. It matters not. This prison is better than that blasted previous one.

"Now… Triss. Did you want to talk about why you're a girl?"

I raise my hands in surrender. "It was Brur'azal! It's their evil corruption!"

It is NOT. They shoot me a scathing mental look, but I'm too busy holding my hands up in surrender.

"No, dear… I don't think it is. Well, I mean, obviously the change was brought about by their influence, hence the horns and tail, but… Demon magic is all about intent. The only reason you would change like this is if you wanted this." She crouches down, being very patient as she grabs my hands and holds them in her own. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

I stare at her blankly for a few seconds. "Um… I'm sorry?"

She chuckles. "Well, if you're talking about freeing Brur'azal, apology accepted. But if you're talking about being a girl, I'm not looking for an apology. If anything, I should be apologizing to you for not realizing sooner." She pulls me closer, wrapping me in a gentle hug. "I hope you're comfortable like this?"

I nod, my tail flicking around excitedly behind me. "Yeah, this is nice. Still getting used to the horns, but the tail is good."

She pulls away gently, nodding once. "Good," She says while looking slightly relieved. "Cause you're gonna be like that for a while." Shaking her head, she ruffles my hair. "I won't be able to reseal Brur'azal for a long while, so you're gonna have to make sure they don't get into any trouble."

I furrow my eyebrows at that. The image of Brur'azal making very childish faces at my grandma from inside my head pops into mind. I have to hold back a snicker at their antics. Coughing, I look back at her nervously. "Uh, I don't know if I'll do that good at that…"

She gives me a kind smile. "I'm very sorry, Triss. You're the only one that can do this. Unfortunately, this is the price of inviting a demon into your body. If you ever need anything, I can help… to the best of my ability of course." I nod sadly at that, letting out a sigh.

I feel myself perk up, my tail flicking nervously from side to side. "Um, there is one thing…"

Her eyebrow raises and she nods slowly. "Mhmm?"

Shuffling my feet, I feel my cheeks reddening (Purpling? Dana said my blush is purple now) as I try to get my request out. "Um, I think I need new clothes. I don't think any of my old stuff is gonna fit right."

She laughs, pulling me closer tightly. "Yes, my dear Triss. We can go shopping tomorrow."

I smile at her brightly, planting a gentle kiss on her cheek. "Love you, Gran."

“I love you too, Triss.”

Gag me with a spoon.

I giggle, pulling away from Gran gently. “Aww, are you feeling left out, Brur?”

Hardly. Your familial bonding does nothing but pain my ears.

“Technically they’re my ears.”

If you are truly merciful, end my wretched existence. I just roll my eyes at that, turning to head for my room. And I’m supposed to be the evil one…

I've been sitting on this story all month and I'm really happy to finally have it out for people to read! Thank you all for sticking around. I hope to have more writing done when I can get it. It's been slow, but mostly steady recently! ((The new Arknights event on CN is coming out soon, and the one on Global too, so those might steal some of my time, but I'll try to get a little something out shortly after or during anyways!

Oh yeah! Also Happy Halloween everyone!

72