[V1] Chapter 0.1: Prologue Part 2
9 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up, the dark recesses of my eyelids faded, and I stepped out of bed.

It was my seventh birthday today, and I heard something big was happening the day after.

I had expected someone to wake me or Amara to jump on me.

"Maybe I woke up too early?" I considered as I glared at the door, half-expecting someone to burst in.

After waiting a significant moment, I was surprised that nothing had occurred as I had anticipated.

And I took slow and prudent steps towards my grand door, pulling the handle narrowly and peering through the small gap.

No one was there.

I was baffled but a bit relieved that Amara wasn't anywhere nearby. She was the equivalent of "You will not rest as long as I'm here!" though, as a very hyperactive six-year-old with a slight sister complex attempting to be evil.

When I knew no one was in front of my room, I stepped out into the immense hallway that felt like it stretched out to infinity.

It took a while of walking, but I eventually made it down the main stairs and into the Great Hall.

Still, no one was there.

And it was very quiet.

At this point, I could already tell they were planning to surprise me. Probably in the dining room.

And of course, I walked towards the entrance to the dining room and took a deep breath before walking in.

Crowds were not my thing, and being forced into one only made things worse. Birthday parties, however, were just a waste of time for me. But one day, I decided to enjoy them while they lasted.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

The jubilant shout marked the commencement of the celebration, and a harmonious blend of calmer 'Happy Birthdays' resonated throughout the room.

Balloons and confetti filled the air as my family gathered around me; their faces were glowing with excitement.

The room was decorated with colourful ornaments, and a delicious smell wafted from the table filled with my favourite dishes.

"Lyssa, happy birthday! Did you see the decorations? I helped put up the balloons!"

Amara rushed up to me with happiness written all over her face.

"Thank you, Amara. They look pretty."

I looked at her, trying my best not to smile. In case she teased me for it again.

The party was as I expected. It's the same every year. But this time, one thing was different.

My father wasn't here.

Normally, my father was the first one to run up to me after the 'Happy Birthday' thing. But he didn't. Which prompted me to look around.

He was absent.

And I wondered where he was.

One of the maid's voices cut through the celebratory din.

"Lyssa, your father had urgent matters to attend to. He sends his deepest apologies and wishes you the happiest of birthdays."

I simply nodded at the information, but my eyes hinted at a tinge of betrayal and disappointment. I could tell the maid noticed.

But before I could get a chance to think about my father, my mother appeared in front of me with a big smile on her face.

"Happy birthday, my dear! You look so beautiful today!"

My expression instantly turned from one of disappointment to pure excitement. Which was still strange to me.

"Thank you, Mother."

"I'm glad you're enjoying your birthday."

Mother's eyes twinkled with excitement. She definitely had something to say.

"What's going on, Mother? You look happy."

"Yes, actually. I have a surprise for you!"

Mother began bouncing on her toes.

"What is it? Tell me."

Mother grinned.

"Close your eyes and count to ten."

I did as she asked, feeling a sense of anticipation building in my chest.

I could hear everything else much better; I felt like I was eavesdropping on people's conversations.

When I reached ten, I opened my eyes to find two distinct invitation cards in my mother's hand.

"What... are these for?"

"Happy birthday, Lyssa. This year, your celebration extends beyond our walls."

Mother chuckled as I took both cards and pointed to the card in my right hand.

"That card is an invitation to the Monarchy Selection Ceremony tomorrow. Specifically, the new Queen Selection."

"The one on your left..."

Mother paused—an excited gleam etched onto her face—trying to create suspense, and I was getting even more curious about what the left one was.

"What is it?"

"It's an invitation to your new school!"

"New... School? But why? I'm fine with being home-schooled."

"Well. I decided that you being at home all day isn't good for you. So you'll be starting school in five years time."

I gazed at her, the implications sinking in, and a slight smile forged on my face. Mother thought about my well-being, and that made me happy.

A little too happy.

"That seems like a long time away, but thank you, mother."

I hugged her as tightly as I could. Not even realising that Amara had watched the whole thing.

Amara, always eager to be part of any excitement, tugged at my sleeve.

"Lyssa, what's the surprise? Can I see?"

I crouched down to her eye level, giving her a conspiratorial smile.

"It's a secret, Amara. But don't worry, you'll know soon enough."

She pouted, her six-year-old curiosity evident in her big, innocent eyes.

"Fine, but you better tell me everything later!"

As I stood back up, Lorien, the youngest but incredibly observant at five years old, tugged at the hem of my dress.

"Lyssa, why no Dad? Is he not liking your birthday?"

"No, Lorien, Dad had something important to do. He sends his wishes, though."

I ruffled his hair gently, offering a reassuring smile when, in reality, even I didn't know where he went.

Lorien then noticed the cards I was holding in my hand.

"What's that, Lyssa? Are those for me?"

"Not this time, Lorien. These are for me, and it's a big surprise."

"Lyssa is going to a new school, Lorien!"

Amara chimed in uninvitedly, and Lorien's eyes widened, the excitement mirrored on his face.

"A school? Can I come too?"

I shook my head.

"Not this time, little brother. Maybe when you're a bit older."

"Oh, okay."

Lorien ran off into the crowd, and I stared in his direction for a while.

"He's five years old and will be starting his training soon. I wonder if he'll be able to handle it." I pondered as I remembered my own training sessions, which still continue to this day.

The rest of the day went on as every other birthday party in a high-class family would.

Family and guests mingled, their laughter harmonising with the soft notes of a grand piano.

After some time, I went outside as the party was finishing.

The cold breeze brushed against my face; it was oddly soothing considering the coldness of winter.

The door creaked behind me, and I turned, expecting Amara or Lorien. Instead, it was Thalia, my other sister, the same age as Amara.

"Lyssa, why are you out here alone?"

Thalia asked in a curious voice as she took quick and careless steps towards me.

I glanced back at the fading celebration inside, the echoes of laughter becoming distant.

"I just needed a breath of fresh air. Birthdays can be overwhelming."

Thalia joined me, the cold breeze rustling through her hair. We stood there for a moment.

I turned to her, about to speak. But before I could do so, a female voice called out my name.

"Mother's calling you."

Thalia turned to me with a smile on her face.

"What does Mother need?" I asked.

"I don't know, but you better not keep her waiting."

I nodded and headed back towards the once-festive atmosphere inside. Thalia followed close behind.

Mother noticed our return and beckoned me over.

"Lyssa, dear, come here. There's something I'd like you to see."

I exchanged a quick glance with Thalia before approaching Mother.

The excitement in her eyes mirrored the anticipation bubbling within me.

Amid the crowd, she handed me a small, intricately wrapped box.

"Happy birthday, Lyssa. This is a special gift from me."

I carefully unwrapped the box, revealing a delicate silver pendant with a black gem at its centre.

It emitted a faint glow, captivating everyone around.

Mother beamed.

"It's a family heirloom, passed down through generations. Wear it with pride."

"It's beautiful, Mother." I said, genuinely touched by the family heirloom.

I noticed Amara approaching Thalia.

They exchanged excited whispers, probably plotting ways to sneak into my room and admire the pendant later.

After a short while, I found myself standing by the grand windows overlooking the estate grounds.

I stood there, gazing up at the celestial canvas, lost in thought, until Thalia joined me. She, too, was captivated by the starlit sky above us.

"Lyssa, do you think the stars have stories too?"

"The stars?"

I turned to her, intrigued by her question.

"I think they have stories too, like about faraway places, people who forgot about love, and big space adventures. Maybe each twinkle is like a little part of a story, and we're just watching and wondering what happens next."

Thalia's eyes widened, absorbing my words as if they were constellations forming a story only she could decipher.

As I opened my eyes, Thalia and I shared a knowing smile.

"Maybe we should make our own stories.”

Thalia's face lit up with excitement as she nodded in agreement.

"Yes! Let's create our own stories, just like the stars. We could imagine characters with extraordinary powers and send them on thrilling quests through the vast expanse of the universe!"

I could see her imagination taking flight; her mind was already crafting intricate plotlines and vivid landscapes.

The night sky seemed to shimmer with anticipation, as if it too were eager to witness the tales we would weave.

[THE NEXT DAY]

I woke up.

Something big was happening today. I remembered the cards I got from my mother: 'That card is an invitation to the Monarchy Selection Ceremony tomorrow. Specifically, the new Queen Selection'

A ceremony for a new queen was something I had expected, as the old one died of unknown causes a few months ago.

I heard a knock on my door. They sounded like Mother's knocks—slow and deliberate—and the door opened slowly.

There she was, standing before me in her best dress and pearls. Her hair was perfectly coiffed, and her makeup was flawless.

She carried herself with such grace and dignity that it was impossible not to be in awe of her.

She was a vision of beauty, and I couldn't help but feel a sense of reverence in her presence.

As she moved towards me with careful steps, her warm smile indicated that she cared deeply about my well-being.

"Lyssa, dear. You know what today is, right?"

My mother beamed as she looked at me, awaiting my response.

And my response was a nod.

"Yes, Mother, I do."

Mother smiled wider, clearly pleased.

"Good, now. I want you to get ready. We don't want to miss the ceremony now, do we?"

I smiled back at her, feeling a sense of happiness and contentment at the prospect of spending the day with my mother, whatever it may bring.

"No, Mother, we don't."

"Alrighty then!" She began.

「Wataita harupu au.」(I'll help you.)

Mother grabbed my clothes. And I sat down as she combed my hair, humming a cheerful tune.

"Lyssa, dear, you look beautiful."

Mother remarked, her eyes gleaming with pride.

"Thank you, mother."

I replied, a slight blush creeping onto my cheeks.

Mother continued to hum as she styled my hair, her gentle touch conveying a deep affection for me.

After a while, I stood up and admired myself in the mirror.

"Lyssa, are you ready to go?"

Mother asked, her excitement evident.

"Yes, Mother, I am."

"Great, let's not waste any time."

With that, we made our way out of my room and into the main hall near the entrance of the manor.

I noticed that Amara, Thalia, and Lorien were all ready as well. I hadn't expected this, and I tugged at Mother's dress.

"Mother, I thought only you and I were going."

"Change of plans, Lyssa. Your siblings wanted to join as well."

Mother responded with a slight chuckle. But I just stared at her with a tiny bit of worry carved into my face.

"Don't worry, Lyssa. I've made sure they'll be safe."

Mother reassured me, her confidence putting my worries to rest.

"Okay, mother."

We made our way out of the manor and into the carriage that awaited us.

The ride was relatively uneventful, with only the occasional bump in the road breaking the silence.

After a while, we arrived at the heart of Valkami, the kingdom I lived in.

I noticed people lined up as if they were shielding our carriage from any harm.

I guess that's what happens when your family is loved by everyone. Even the monarchs.

The carriage came to a halt, and Mother was the first to step out.

"Lyssa, kids. Come, it's time."

Mother beckoned, her excitement palpable.

I was the second to step out, followed by Amara, Thalia, and Lorien.

People cheered and waved as we made our way towards the Monarchy Selection Ceremony.

I could hear their voices echoing throughout the streets, their joy and admiration for my family filling me with a sense of pride.

As we approached the grand entrance of the ceremony, the cheers grew louder, and the air was buzzing with anticipation.

Mother turned to me and my siblings her eyes twinkling with excitement.

"Are you kids ready?"

We simply nodded, except for Amara, who squealed like a madwoman on helium.

"Yes, mother, we're ready." I spoke.

Mother smiled, her pride and confidence in me shining through.

"Then let's not waste any time."

We stepped through the grand entrance. The area was crowded with people. Among those people were nobles and royals.

I could hear the hushed whispers and excited murmurs of everyone watching.

Someone, however, caught my eye.

A lone, yellow-haired girl who looked about the same age as me was encased by the crowd. She was wearing a fancy-looking dress and looked like she was about to cry.

Our eyes met, but only for a brief moment, and I could tell she was terrified.

No one else in my family seemed to notice.

I, however, lingered for a bit, and my curiosity piqued.

"Mother, I'll catch up."

I whispered.

"Lyssa, dear, is everything alright?"

Mother turned to me, her concern apparent.

"Yes, Mother, everything's fine. I just saw someone."

"Oh, okay. Be quick, Lyssa."

I quickly walked over in the direction of the girl, weaving my way through the sea of people.

As I got closer, her fear became more apparent.

I could tell she was anxious and unsure of what to do.

"Hey, are you okay?"

I asked, my voice barely audible amidst the din.

"I-I'm fine. Just nervous."

Her voice trembled, her anxiety threatening to overwhelm her.

"What's your name?"

"F-Fides... Mirus... I think."

"Hello, Fides Mirus. I'm Lyssa Anastasia."

Fides's eyes widened in surprise, and she stuttered.

"A-Anastasia?!"

"Yeah. Do you want to come with me?"

Fides looked contemplative for a moment, and after some deliberation, she nodded slowly.

I reached out and gently took her hand, leading her through the thronging crowd.

Fides stayed close to me, clearly worried about getting separated.

It was then that I asked her the question that had been on my mind: "Where are your parents?"

Fides hesitated before answering, her voice barely audible over the surrounding commotion. "I don't... I don't have parents. I've been alone for as long as I can remember."

A pang of empathy struck me. The revelry of the occasion seemed distant as I processed Fides's words.

"Alone? How did you end up here?"

Fides glanced down, her fingers fidgeting with the edge of her elegant dress.

"I... I heard about the Monarchy Selection Ceremony and thought maybe I could find a place to belong. But now, I'm not so sure."

"You don't have to be alone, Fides. You can join us for the ceremony. My family won't mind."

Her eyes widened, a mix of surprise and gratitude.

"You'd do that for me?"

"Of course. No one should feel alone, especially on a day like this."

We resumed our journey through the crowd, with Fides now wearing a tentative smile. As we approached the entrance, my family's faces came into view. Mother's concerned expression softened when she saw Fides.

"Lyssa, who's your friend?"

She asked, her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"This is Fides Mirus. She got separated from her family."

"Oh, Fides, you're safe with us."

Fides gave a shy smile, seemingly comforted by Amara's words.

Suddenly, Thalia squealed in excitement.

"It's starting!"

The enthusiastic exclamation from Thalia resonated, marking the beginning of the spectacle. The crowd hushed, eyes fixed on the ceremonial stage.

I glanced at Fides, her eyes wide with a mix of curiosity and nervousness. It occurred to me that this was likely her first exposure to such a grand event.

"You'll be fine, Fides. Just enjoy the show." I whispered, while even being curious about the event myself.

Mother, sensing my curiosity, leaned closer. "This is a significant event, Lyssa. The selection of the new queen shapes the destiny of our kingdom. Pay attention."

I nodded, absorbing the weight of the moment. I knew that this decision would have far-reaching consequences for our kingdom and its people.

Fides, despite her initial apprehension, seemed captivated by the grandeur unfolding before her.

And then, a booming voice echoed through the venue, announcing a revelation that would shake the foundations of the kingdom. The crowd gasped, and Fides clutched my arm, her eyes wide with a mixture of awe and fear.

And then it happened.

1