[V1] Chapter 0.3: Prologue Part 4
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[BACK AT MOTHER'S HOME]

Fides stood in front of Mother's Manor's grand entrance, her eyes widening in awe as the doors swung open to reveal an expansive main hall.

"Lyssa, you live here?!"

Her eyes widened with wonder as she turned to face me.

I responded with a nod.

"I do, indeed."

I took a step through the doorway. Fides walked alongside me, taking in the opulence of the surroundings with rapt attention.

As we moved deeper into the manor, Mother emerged from a nearby room, reaching out to greet Fides with her hand.

Fides jumped slightly but calmed down as Mother's warm chuckle filled the air.

"I apologise for that."

With a gentle tug, Mother led Fides towards my room, their conversation continuing in hushed tones as they walked.

I, however, made my way to the parlour room, which was just beside the dining room. I could see a faint glow emanating from the fireplace inside.

As I entered the room, I was drawn towards a woman sitting on a couch.

She had striking blue hair, which contrasted beautifully with her pale complexion. Her gaze was fixed on the dancing flames in the fireplace, as if she were lost in thought.

It was then that I realised that the woman was none other than Liora Cyruth, the head maid who takes care of me when my mother isn't around.

"Welcome back, Lady Lyssa."

She instantly sensed my presence without me needing to make a sound.

"Hello, Loria. It is great to see you again. I hope you are doing well. "

"I am doing fine, thank you. How did the ceremony go?"

She turned to face me and greeted me with a warm smile. Her question hung in the air, her eyes searching my face for a response.

I hesitated, trying to find the right words.

"It was... eventful."

The chaos of the crystal-wielding assailant flashed in my mind, but I chose not to dwell on it.

Liora nodded, her gaze unwavering.

"Events have a way of shaping us. What matters is how we navigate through them."

"You know. I was actually there." She continued.

My eyes slightly widened at that fact.

"Really?"

My eyes widened slightly in surprise.

Liora chuckled, her blue hair shimmering in the faint glow of the fireplace.

"I have been serving the Anastasia family for longer than you can remember, Lady Lyssa... I've seen more than you might think. Plus, I'm very stealthy."

She let out a warm smile.

A warm smile that instantly faded the moment it formed.

"Why did you recklessly put yourself in danger like that?"

"I wasn't actually in danger."

"The issue here is that you had the potential to be."

"But—"

"Lady Lyssa Anastasia, you cannot recklessly endanger yourself. The perils you faced today were beyond what you should have had to bear."

Liora's stern words echoed in the spacious room, the grandeur of Mother's Manor doing little to soften the reprimand.

I met her gaze, unflinching. 

"I had to protect those I care about."

"Protection doesn't mean putting yourself at unnecessary risk."

Before the conversation could escalate further, a distant chime echoed through the manor, interrupting our exchange. We both turned towards the sound, momentarily distracted from our disagreement. Liora sighed, her expression softening slightly.

"We will carry on this conversation later."

Liora's voice was filled with a mix of concern and frustration. I nodded, grateful for the interruption.

"I understand, Liora."

Liora exited the room, and Mother entered by herself.

"Were you conversing with the head maid?"

Felix, our furry feline friend, sprang onto her lap as she settled down on the small couch. 

"Yes. I was."

I was exhausted, so I made my way towards her while the cat was still perched on her lap. 

Mother stroked my hair gently. 

"I am tired, Mother." I confessed.

The weariness was evident in my droopy eyes. I was in desperate need of some rejuvenating rest.

Mother's face glowed with a warm smile as she listened to my woes.

"Rest, my dear. You deserve it." 

She patted my head gently. Her touch was soothing, and as I nestled into the warmth of her embrace, sleep embraced me, weaving dreams around the events of the day.

[THE NEXT DAY]

As the sun slowly rose, its warm, golden rays seeped through the window and gently stirred me awake. 

Blinking my eyes open, I took in the sight of the glowing morning sky and breathed in the fresh scent of a new day.

I was about to do my usual wake-up routine. I noticed Fides lying peacefully beside me, her chest rising and falling in a steady rhythm.

Suddenly, a memory flooded back; a pang of sadness hit me. How could I have forgotten that she was an orphan?

In that moment, I found myself staring blankly at the ceiling, lost in thought, and grappling with a difficult decision. Should I persuade my mother to adopt her and welcome her into our family, or should I take her to Serenity Haven, where she could potentially find loving parents?

1