Chapter 3: The Ambitious Warlock
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

General Ja'aduk's POV

 

General Ja'aduk stood at the edge of his encampment, a towering figure with eyes that could pierce steel. The appearance of the mysterious human on the battlefield had set his curiosity ablaze, and with each passing moment, his fascination only intensified. Breaking his silence, the commanding general conveyed his thoughts with a voice that carried across the tense atmosphere.

 

"Something's off; I can't sense his cultivation realm. He must be using some kind of blocking spell or magic item." His observation hung in the air, met with anticipation.

 

Turning to a figure cloaked in flowing robes, General Ja'aduk issued a direct command, his tone unwavering. "Shaman, use your observational spell. Uncover his true strength. His sudden appearance… doesn't bode well..."

 

The Shaman nodded, his expression resolute. "As you command, General."

 

While the Shaman began his incantations, General Ja'aduk's gaze shifted to his warlock subordinates. Their flimsy armor was a disappointment, barely offering protection. In contrast, the General was clad in blood-soaked bronze, his sword gleaming under the harsh sunlight.

 

Frustration boiled within him as he recalled his unfulfilled request from his superior, his face contorting into a scowl.

 

Endrin should've granted me those two platinum realms.

 

His anger flared at the memory of the near-death encounter with the platinum realm humans.

 

I managed to kill those two, but it was too close for comfort, thought Ja'aduk. Then, he cast a glance at the warlocks by his side, their eyes fixed on the battlefield. These three that Endrin assigned to me... utterly worthless. Was that old fart trying to get me killed? He redirected his attention to the battlefield, fury seething in his eyes, his fist clenched so tightly that blood oozed from his right palm. If not for that cursed obedience spell, I would have dealt with him long ago.

 

General Ja'aduk's gaze bore into William, frustration etched visibly in the furrow of his brow. Where did this human come from? Was he hiding in the mountains, plotting an ambush?

 

Fury ignited in Ja'aduk's eyes, inflamed not only by William's unexpected presence but also by Endrin's neglect of his plea for more capable warlock reinforcements. As a peak ninth-star platinum realm cultivator, Ja'aduk had been forced to confront the powerful three-star and five-star platinum realm cultivators himself earlier, since none of his subordinates could match those humans in battle—the strongest of his subordinates being merely a three-star black gold realm cultivator.

 

Unable to vent his fury toward Endrin, Ja'aduk's rage boiled over onto the wretched turncoat, Black Viper - the human filth who had betrayed his own kind, enabling this ambush by selling intelligence to warlocks like Ja'aduk for mere soul stones.

 

And now, just as victory seized the last survivors in its jaws, some unknown human tore through Ja'aduk's foot soldiers. Grunts fell in droves to this unforeseen element as Ja'aduk's teeth gnashed together. That sniveling worm Black Viper had said nothing of this added nuisance!

 

The general's fingers clenched, trembling as tendrils of crimson energy lashed around him. How could that traitorous rat omit any potential risk? Sweat beaded on Ja'aduk's furrowed brow as he reigned in the inferno consuming him.

 

This human had cowered from confronting Ja'aduk's true might earlier. A mere insect, appearing only after the battle was all but won. Still, Ja'aduk could not discount any unknown. Black Viper's omission needled at his rage - such careless oversight would not go unpunished.

 

Before he could gather his thoughts further, a wave of nausea hit Ja'aduk—a chilling reminder of the mysterious falling object from earlier. He had been at the battle's forefront when it crashed down, indiscriminately killing those in its proximity. Only Ja'aduk survived unscathed, but the object's inexplicable side effects lingered, compelling his retreat despite his overwhelming power. Revealing weakness to the warlocks he deemed useless trash was an unacceptable disgrace, so he hid his ailment.

 

Ja'aduk ordered goblins to eliminate survivors and summoned ghouls to conceal his condition before retreating. Now the nausea returned with vengeance, exacerbated by his pounding heart and mounting anger. That cursed sky object...what was it? I've never encountered its like, he pondered, fighting the urge to vomit before his subordinates. Why did it sicken me? Questions swirled, fueling his restlessness as the human ravaged his forces.

 

Swallowing back the bile that had risen in his throat, Ja'aduk chose to redirect his focus elsewhere. "This human... he seems to be at least a peak silver realm. But we must be cautious." His words cut through the tense silence as all eyes remained fixed on the formidable foe.

 

"He may be concealing his true strength, pretending to be weaker than he is. Why else hide his power?" General Ja'aduk's frustration echoed through the camp as he voiced his suspicions.

 

An eerie silence lingered as the soldiers contemplated his words. Then, a realization dawned on Ja'aduk, and a wicked grin spread across his face. He turned to address his troops.

 

"Listen up! I'll admit, the two platinum cultivators I defeated earlier were challenging opponents. However, overcoming them was exhilarating. I have always been fair with all of you. Why not share in the thrill of this battle?"

 

Excitement flickered in the eyes of the warlocks as their leader continued. With a devious smirk, Ja'aduk pointed at his chin pensively and said, "If this human truly desires a fight, let us oblige him fully. It will make for one hell of a grand spectacle. The one among you closest to his level may take the first crack at him."

 

A wave of eager anticipation swept through the camp as the warlocks prepared for the impending battle, gripped with enthusiasm at the prospect of combat. General Ja'aduk could not help but chuckle darkly to himself. This bold human had no notion of what he was in for.

 

This is going to be interesting, he thought. Those fools better not mess this up. And if the human manages to take any of them down, all the better. I can't afford to babysit incompetence.

 

After some hushed deliberations among themselves, Captain Treeku took a step forward, his presence commanding attention.

 

"This human… hasn't even scratched the surface of the gold realm, let alone black gold," Treeku remarked, his tone tinged with skepticism. "My odds aren't exactly favorable. However, General, if your notion about him hiding his true strength holds water, and he's inching towards my level, I can practically taste the satisfaction of tearing him limb from limb."

 

"Hmm," General Ja'aduk pondered, his gaze shifting from Treeku's formidable stature to the sword slung diagonally across his shoulder, a weapon seemingly longer than the warlock himself. Although deploying his mightiest warlock didn't faze him, before granting approval, a slender warlock with a notably athletic build interjected with a chuckle, "Classic Treeku."

 

He pointed a bone spear provocatively at Treeku, from which a violent yellowish glow emanated. Smirking, his lips twisted with disdain, he jeered, "You gripe right after relishing such a savory feast."

 

Ignoring the provocation, Captain Treeku's attention remained fixed on the Shaman, deeply engrossed in his spellcasting. As moments passed in silence, the slender warlock continued in a mocking tone, "That peak silver realm from earlier was quite the sight. Shame I didn't get the chance to rearrange her face. Judging by this human's speed, he's at best in the small stars' gold realm. Doubt he's using a detection blocker due to strength. More likely he's just weak, banking on us not striking if we don't gauge his power."

 

The second warlock shot a subtle glance at the captain and grinned, remarking, "which means he's mine. I'll make sure to carve out his tongue and keep it as a memento."

 

Though visibly irritated by the comment, Captain Treeku refrained from responding. Suddenly, the third warlock broke the silence, his voice rising in frustration, "Captain! You promised me a shot at that peak silver realm earlier. But the moment you saw her, you hogged her all to yourself. I had plans for her, but maybe I can test them out on this little one. Let me have him."

 

His outburst hung in the air, met with silence from Captain Treeku and the second warlock. General Ja'aduk observed the growing tension among his subordinates, feeling his patience wane as they bickered instead of taking swift action. Just as he was about to intervene, the Shaman abruptly ceased his incantations, signaling a crucial juncture in their plans.

 

Shock etched itself across the Shaman's face as he mumbled, "That's...that's impossible. It can't be...but I've re-checked countless times now."

 

"What's the matter? Was I correct? His cultivation surely surpasses the silver realm. What realm is he in? Gold perhaps? Or even black gold? Don't tell me he has reached platinum!" General Ja'aduk's voice quivered with a blend of eager excitement and faint unease as he swiftly turned his gaze back towards the human in the distance, still nonchalantly cutting down subordinates.

 

"No, General...I've verified it several times over now. That human...he possesses no mana core at all." The Shaman's words came out trembling.

 

This startling statement caused Ja'aduk to swiftly pivot and face the Shaman directly.

 

"What exactly are you implying? That this human is like those other soldiers, still lingering in the mortal realm?" General Ja'aduk growled out his question.

 

"No, General. This human is fundamentally unlike those other men. He is...a pure human," the Shaman stumbled over the words.

 

General Ja'aduk fell silent, contemplating this revelation for several long moments before finally speaking. "A pure human...that is quite rare indeed," he mused, stroking his chin thoughtfully. "But I cannot claim total ignorance of their kind. They-"

 

Before he could continue, a realization struck the General abruptly. He whipped his attention back to the battling human, astonishment etched on his face. "Wait. If he is a pure human...how in the name of Xerxes is he moving as if he's a peak silver realm? That should be utterly impossible!" Ja'aduk questioned the Shaman intensely.

 

"I...I do not know, General! I cannot explain it. But after several examinations, the result remains unchanged," uttered the trembling Shaman.

 

Once more, General Ja'aduk was silent for a few moments before fixing his piercing gaze upon Treeku. "Captain Treeku, I command you to bring me that human's severed head!"

 

Treeku's face lit up with eagerness. "Yes, General!" he exclaimed, nearly overflowing with enthusiasm.

 

At this, the second warlock shouted out, "General! If this human has no cultivation, then I alone can deal with him!"

 

Captain Treeku shot the warlock a withering glare before retorting, "You overstep your bounds, Lieutenant Bo!"

 

"Enough!" General Ja'aduk's voice thundered with unchecked fury. He cast a stern glance at the three quarreling warlocks. "Captain Treeku, and you two fools, cease this pointless squabbling immediately! I care not which among you does it. Just go and kill him! Bring me the human's severed head!"

 

"General Ja'aduk! Please wait a moment!" The Shaman suddenly exclaimed, seizing the General's attention.

 

"It would be most unwise to outright kill this human," the Shaman added mysteriously.

 

The General's interest immediately piqued upon hearing this bold statement.

 

"Explain yourself at once, Shaman. What exactly are you implying?"

 

"Pay no heed to this fool, General! I will slay the human this instant!" Lieutenant Bo yelled out impatiently.

 

"Silence!" Ja'aduk swiftly silenced the outburst with a menacing glare before pivoting back to the Shaman, his intrigue renewed. "Speak quickly now and make your point."

 

"General, pure humans possessing latent magical abilities hold a uniquely valuable property for us warlocks," the Shaman remarked with a wicked smile. "From our extensive shamanic experiments upon pure humans, I can definitively state there exists a potent spell allowing us to transfer both our consciousness and cultivation into them."

 

The General regarded him now with heightened interest, retracting his overwhelming aura slightly to let the Shaman continue unimpeded. "And what precisely are you suggesting we do?"

 

A grimace flickered across the Shaman's face. "General, as you observed, this human currently exhibits the strength and speed of at least a peak silver realm cultivator despite lacking any mana. Now imagine his power infused with, say... someone of your cultivation realm."

 

General Ja'aduk's gaze lowered, focused intently on the ground for a lingering moment as he processed this revelation. Though initially taken aback, a hint of eager excitement now sparkled in his eyes.

 

"This ritual...I have heard of it being performed before on injured warlocks missing limbs or nearing their final years. Your words bear great promise, Shaman," he murmured thoughtfully.

 

Pleased, the General glanced back up at the Shaman. "I will reward you handsomely for this knowledge, Shaman. Now, what was your name again?"

 

The Shaman bowed his head with practiced humility. "General, this humble servant is called Zaizu."

 

General Ja'aduk gave a thin smile. "Very well, Zaizu. As of today, you shall be permanently assigned to my forces at the rank of Major."

 

The other warlocks glared resentfully at the newly elevated Zaizu, but General Ja'aduk paid them no mind. Instead, he turned to face the battling human, eyes alight with unwavering determination.

 

A malevolent smirk slowly surfaced on his lips as he tensed his body in readiness. With that human's body as my vessel, my power will surge to previously unimaginable heights. And once I break through to the diamond realm, it will not be long before I eclipse that wretch Endrin and seize the mantle of South General for myself.

 

Ja'aduk fixed his intense gaze on Zaizu once more, a hint of urgency in his expression. "Which incantation must I recite to transfer myself fully into this human?"

 

A scroll manifested itself in Zaizu's left hand. He passed it to the General with a self-assured smirk. "It is quite straightforward, General. Simply recite this spell, then bite the human, drawing his blood. Next, channel the entirety of your mana into your fangs and thence into his body."

 

General Ja'aduk scrutinized the scroll meticulously, a malevolent grin slowly stretching across his face. Wasting not a second more, he propelled himself toward the human engaged in combat, anticipation boiling within him.

 

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1