Chapter 9: Thousand To One Odds
2 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nin Li's POV

 

The atmosphere in the alley crackled with tension, hushed voices rippling through those gathered like a nervous undercurrent. It felt more like a gathering on the brink of uncertainty than one of excitement, doubts taking root within the whispers that enveloped her amidst the crowd.

 

"1000/1 odds! That’s insane!" exclaimed a nearby voice, its incredulity rippling through.

"Big Boss Xuan is really pulling out all the stops for this kid," remarked another.

"But who would be foolish enough to bet on him?" questioned a skeptical onlooker.

"I'll wager one hundred silver coins for support," chimed in someone else.

 

Nin Li's expression was a portrait of worry mingled with resolve as she handed two pouches of coins to Lester. "One thousand silver coins on the Young Master," she declared with a mix of determination and apprehension, her voice cutting through the murmuring crowd. Her audacious wager elicited a ripple of surprise among the onlookers.

 

To a cultivator, the sum she staked was inconsequential. Yet, for Nin Li, a confessed gambling enthusiast, it marked a departure from her usual cautious bets. She hesitated, contemplating her support for William in what seemed like an obvious mismatch. Zino, a peak mortal realm cultivator, exuded formidable power, while William was merely a one star of the mortal realm.

 

Nin Li also grappled with the dual responsibilities of shielding her young master and hesitations about challenging the skilled cultivators surrounding them. The thought of grabbing him and attempting to flee crossed her mind, but she dismissed it quickly; the odds of escape were slim. Sacrificing herself to allow her young master to flee seemed noble, yet she knew they would apprehend him before he could make his getaway. Trapped in this dilemma, she searched desperately for a solution, her mind racing against the encroaching danger.

 

Initially perplexed by William's unexpected confidence, Nin Li questioned his rationale. But as she revisited his recent achievements, becoming Moj Dak's direct disciple and mastering Gido in a mere four days, her doubts began to wane. Moj Dak's discerning eye had singled out William for rare recognition, a privilege that eluded many seasoned cultivators. Despite her initial impressions of him as a novice lacking in combat prowess, Nin Li couldn't ignore the weight of Moj Dak's judgment.

 

The sight of the revered silver tower emblem adorning William's neck, signifying his status as her Young Master, had compelled Nin Li to adjust her demeanor earlier today. It represented authority within the Tower hierarchy, not to be trifled with. Yet, despite Moj Dak's endorsement, Nin Li remained ignorant of William's true capabilities, grappling with uncertainty over his strategic approach.

 

Lester's smug grin didn't falter as he accepted the pouches, acknowledging her bet with a hint of mockery. "One thousand silver coins on the kid. Understood. Here's your receipt," he said, handing her a slip of paper with disdain evident in his tone.

 

Nin Li pocketed the receipt without a word, avoiding eye contact as she retreated from the scene. Lester's mockery lingered in the air, but Nin Li remained steadfast in her support for William, her faith in Moj Dak's judgment unwavering.

 

As Nin Li walked away, Lester smirked, unable to resist a parting taunt. "Good luck, though I doubt it'll help much."

 

Ignoring his provocation, Nin Li exchanged a demure yet concerned gaze with William, silently conveying her support.

 

Once Lester finished collecting the bets, he returned to the ring, refocusing his attention on William.

 

"What's your name, kid?" he inquired.

 

"William."

 

"Alright." Lester then walked over to Zino, whispered something in his ear, and returned to face the crowd."

 

"Final bets are placed! Let the showdown begin! In the blue corner, the challenger, one-star mortal realm, William!" The crowd's cheers were scattered, with only a handful rooting for the underdog.

 

"In the red corner, the undefeated champion, a peak mortal realm warrior, ZINO!" Lester's announcement was like a trigger, setting off an explosive wave of cheers and excitement.

 

The crowd's deafening roar echoed off the alley walls, seeming to amplify the pressure bearing down on William as he faced his formidable opponent. Yet William appeared oddly unaffected, even chuckling confidently to himself.

 

Nin Li scrutinized William as he locked eyes with Zino. She was taken aback by the wicked gleam in William's eyes. Had she imagined it? Even the intimidating Zino looked momentarily startled, quickly glancing at Lester. Nin Li speculated if Zino shared her own doubts - was William truly just a one-star mortal realm? Where did this boldness stem from?

 

Lester simply nodded, his serious expression indicating this was no joke. The referee signaled the start as the fighters assumed their positions. Zino leaned in and whispered something to William that Nin Li couldn't hear over the roaring crowd.

 

William taunted Zino, provoking a lightning-fast punch aimed at his face. Despite Nin Li's gasp, William narrowly dodged the blow, laughing as he stumbled back. To Nin Li, he seemed to be feigning vulnerability.

 

Eagerly pressing his advantage, Zino attempted a swift grab at William's neck. Though William dodged, Nin Li noticed he allowed Zino's fingers to brush his skin. She wondered if he was savoring Zino's desperation.

 

Nin Li watched intently, questions lingering as she prayed her trust in William was warranted.

 

A chilling growl escaped from William's lips, a sound so primal it sent an involuntary shiver racing down Nin Li's spine. She stood transfixed, witnessing William's nimble form gracefully evade each of Zino's furious strikes as though engaged in a deadly dance. Zino's once lightning-fast attacks now seemed feeble, his confusion palpable amidst the unfolding spectacle. Every near miss orchestrated by William seemed to carry a hidden motive, each taunting grin hinting at a deeper strategy.

 

With her cultivation at gold realm and her senses honed to peak of black gold, Nin Li watched the spectacle unfold before her as if time itself had slowed. She discerned William's deliberate manipulation of the fight's tempo, a masterful performance aimed at rousing the crowd to a fever pitch. Even stronger cultivators like Big Boss Xuan exchanged uneasy glances, sensing something amiss as well. It was obvious to Nin Li and the other strong cultivators in the crowd, which is why she found herself shaken, surprised by William's apparent prowess in combat. His skill at convincingly mimicking near-misses surpassed her expectations.

 

As she contemplated the unfolding events, Zino's frustration reached a boiling point. With sudden ferocity, he unleashed a barrage of deadly blows, catching William off guard. "Enough games!" Zino's voice echoed through the alley, his eyes ablaze with fury. The sickening sound of impact reverberated through the arena as William staggered backward, momentarily silenced by the force of the blow. Nin Li's heart skipped a beat, her initial alarm giving way to relief as she realized William was unharmed. Yet, her senses tingled with an inexplicable awareness—a fleeting glimpse of Zino's latent mana, a phenomenon inexplicable given his mortal limitations.

 

"Did I imagine it?" Nin Li's mind raced, grappling for an explanation amidst the chaos.

 

In the wake of the blow, William seemed to revel in the display of power, his demeanor shifting from fear to exhilaration. "Come on, you won't harm me unless you do it again," he taunted, his voice cutting through the tension like a knife. Seizing the opportunity, Zino lunged forward with renewed determination, his fists aimed squarely at William's mocking smile. However, William made no effort to evade the onslaught, allowing himself to be struck with a disturbing indifference.

 

As Zino launched another assault, William's mocking laughter echoed through the alley, goading his adversary further. The once raucous crowd fell into an uneasy hush as they bore witness to the unfolding spectacle.

 

Perplexed by her young master's audacious behavior, Nin Li watched in astonishment as William goaded Zino into further action. With each blow exchanged, William's laughter grew more malevolent, goading Zino into a frenzy of strikes. The crowd's murmurs of uncertainty swirled around them as William's true intentions eluded them.

 

A sudden impact reverberated through the air, the unmistakable resonance of cultivated mana carrying with it a force that made Nin Li's senses reel in disbelief. Zino, yet to unlock his magic gate, could not wield such power. Yet the blow surpassed all expectations, sending William staggering backward. Undeterred, he threw back his head, mockery filling the arena with laughter once more.

 

Nin Li's heart pounded as she watched the exchange unfold, her grip on reality slipping amidst the chaos. Zino seized control of the fight, Nin Li could only watch, her faith in her young master's resolve unwavering amidst the chaotic fight.

 

Witnessing William's confident engagement with Zino, Nin Li couldn't help but admire his audacity. Yet her concern for his safety grew with each passing moment. He's risking everything for this, she thought, gazing between William and Zino's imposing figure. Doubts nagged at the edges of her mind. What's going on in the young master's mind? Why isn't he taking this seriously? she pondered, bewildered. And how is he still standing after receiving so many hits? Noticing William mumbling, she quickly used a wish-type spell to amplify her hearing.

 

"No, I don't need your help. I'm just toying with this asshole," she overheard William say. Shocked, she briefly wondered if he was addressing her but knew he couldn't have detected her spell. Nevertheless, the cold ruthlessness in William's voice sent a chill through Nin Li. What has come over you, young master? she pondered.

 

William's POV

 

[Ding* The System detects several irregularities in the host's mental state. Influence from General Ja'aduk’s aggressive personality—

 

Enough! William snapped internally, struggling to restrain the bloodlust welling up within. I don't need your help! Now stay quiet and just watch. I want him and that Xuan guy to have a little hope before I crush it all.

 

A tingling sensation coursed through William's body as his injuries rapidly healed themselves before the astonished eyes of the crowd, closing as if evaporating in a wisp of steam.

 

Zino watched with an intense, calculating gaze as William's bruises disappeared right before his eyes. It took a moment for the audience to comprehend the impossible recovery they'd just witnessed, their awe growing by the second.

 

Ever the persistent provocateur, Zino continued his taunts, gesturing for William to rise. "Get up, kid! Come on!" he shouted, the crowd echoing his goading.

 

William kept his gaze fixed on the ground, his face an impassive mask betraying none of the inner struggle for control. Slowly, deliberately, he rose to his feet, not once lifting his gaze from the arena floor.

 

Zino scoffed mockingly, "Surprised you're not dead yet, kid."

 

With an air of defiance, William finally raised his head, locking eyes with Zino. "No, but you will be," he stated flatly, a promise rather than a threat.

 

William's eyes, a battleground between his own determination and the sinister influence of General Ja'aduk, blazed with an ironclad resolve as he unleashed a lightning-quick left jab aimed precisely at Zino's face. Zino managed to block the blistering punch but wasn't prepared for the follow-up. With viper-like speed, William grabbed Zino's defending arm and pivoted, using Zino's momentum against him as he flung the larger man over his shoulder.

 

Zino slammed into the unforgiving floor of the arena with a heavy thud, the wind forced from his lungs. For a moment he lay stunned, struggling to draw breath. William capitalized instantly on his opponent's vulnerability, pouncing with merciless ferocity. His fists hammered Zino's prone form relentlessly, each blow landing with the sound of a cracking whip.

 

Zino desperately tried to defend against the barrage, but William was merciless, raining down precise and devastating strikes. He gave no quarter, exploiting every gap and weakness in Zino's defense with ruthless efficiency.

 

With machine-like precision, William's fists continued their work, methodically battering Zino. The crowd looked on in horrified silence with each audible impact of fist meeting flesh. The bloodlust had taken hold, General Ja'aduk's aggressive personality overwhelming William's restraint.

 

You insignificant worm! William roared, consumed with rage. I will crush your skull!

 

[Ding* Warning! The subject [Zino] is nearing critical condition.

 

The System's alert pierced through the bloodrage threatening to overwhelm William's mind. For a moment, clarity returned to his eyes.

 

[Ding* Warning! The subject [Zino] is on the verge of expiring. Terminate the assault now!

 

William fought back against the dark whispers compelling him to finish Zino off in a spray of blood and gore. No… I can't-I won't kill him! he desperately told himself, struggling to restrain his murderous wrath.

 

[Ding* Warning! The subject [Zino] is on the brink of death. Disengage immediately!

 

As William pulled back for a final strike, poised to deliver a fatal blow and end Zino in a gruesome spectacle, at the last possible second, he regained full control. Diverting his most powerful punch away from Zino's face, William drove it into the hardened ground with bone-crushing force. The floor shattered beneath the impact, leaving cracks spidering out and startling the onlookers as William roared in frustration, leaving Zino bruised and battered, but alive.

 

A shocked silence descended over the alley as William stood over Zino's battered form, chest heaving with exertion. The audience, once filled with bloodthirsty excitement, now gasped in horror, witnessing William's violent descent into a merciless force of destruction.

 

Yet despite teetering on the edge, through sheer force of will, William had managed to pull himself back from the abyss. But the beast still lurked within, waiting for its next opportunity to break free. How long could he keep caging the monster before it consumed him completely?

 

"Are you done? Get up!" William's voice lacked the malice it had carried just moments ago. The seething darkness that had consumed him now retreated, leaving him torn between two warring personalities within.

 

Zino remained motionless on the blood-splattered floor, too battered to rise. An eerie silence hung over the captive audience as they struggled to process what they had witnessed.

 

Another tingling sensation surged through William's body, but unlike before, it lacked the electric thrill of violence. It was the crushing weight of remorse over his actions, and the exhaustion of fighting an internal battle against the warlock's malevolent influence. The struggle raged not just in the ring, but deep within William's own soul.

 

He turned a haunted gaze toward Lester and Big Boss Xuan. Both men stared back, frozen in astonishment, the cigar slipping unheeded from Xuan's lips. The spectators seemed to hold a collective breath, stunned into wordlessness after the unbelievable spectacle.

 

William looked at the ashen-faced referee still paralyzed in the corner. "Aren't you going to call this?" he rasped. "Or should I keep attacking?"

 

"I-I..." the referee stammered, before scurrying over on shaky legs. He raised William's left arm skyward. "The winner and new champion...William!"

 

A breathless silence persisted for a long moment. Then excitement rippled through the crowd and swelled into raucous cheers and chants.

 

"William! William! William!"

 

But as the cries of his name echoed, William found no joy, only a bone-deep weariness. He had emerged victorious from the battle with his inner darkness, but by the slimmest of margins. The ravenous monster still lurked within, awaiting its next chance to break free.

 

What happened to me, System? he mused. I wanted to kill him.

 

[Ding* The influence of General Ja'aduk's personality is proving much stronger than initially calculated.

 

What can I do about it?

 

[Ding* The primary user requires mental training. Your mind currently lacks the strength to resist the General's overpowering will.

 

William's heart sank. Guess I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

 

He stepped from the ring, feeling suddenly drained as he approached Nin Li. Shock drained the color from her face, her eyes widening and unblinking. He wiped Zino's blood from his bruised knuckles and asked about the bet.

 

Nin Li's gaze lingered for a moment, betraying a hint of uncertainty, before she stammered nervously, "the b-bet? Oh, right! I did place it!" Her fingers trembled slightly as she fumbled in her pocket, producing a crumpled receipt.

 

William took it and turned to face Xuan, holding the slip of paper up. He fixed the Big Boss Xuan with an innocent yet smug look - a remnants of the General's influence he couldn't fully suppress.

 

"I'll be collecting my winnings now. One thousand coins at one thousand to one odds makes one million silver." He waved the receipt like a taunt in front of crime boss, a subtle challenge in his demeanor.

 

As William realized the gravity of the situation, he slowly lowered the receipt, sensing the simmering anger emanating from Big Boss Xuan. With each passing moment, Xuan's face reddened, his breathing growing heavier. William understood all too well that any further provocation could lead to dire consequences. Instinctively, he shifted into a defensive stance, preparing for the worst.

 

Palpable tension stretched the silence agonizingly. Finally, with a deliberate effort, Big Boss Xuan tore his gaze away from William and directed his attention to Lester, his command cutting through the stifling atmosphere.

 

"Lester! Pay the kid!" Big Boss Xuan's voice thundered, dripping with disdain and fury.

 

Lester hurried over to William, producing a stack of papers and extending them towards him.

 

William's brows furrowed as he flicked his gaze between the papers and Lester. With a scowl forming on his face, he swatted the documents away, his frustration evident. "What's this? Not a single silver coin!"

 

"These are banknotes. They hold the equivalent value in silver coins and are redeemable at any bank," Lester clarified.

 

"I didn't ask for banknotes! My associate gave you coins, not paper! Pay me in silver coins!" William's frustration stirred murmurs among onlookers.

 

A palpable tension gripped the air like a vise, exacerbating William's irritation until it crackled around him like electricity. He felt the simmering anger of Ja'aduk's influence, clawing at the edges of his consciousness. Desperately, he fought to contain it, knowing the havoc it could wreak if unleashed.

 

[Ding* Alert! The system informs the host that the city guards are starting to encircle the alley. Exit is advised.

 

William dismissed the warning, focusing his simmering anger on Lester instead.

 

"These are real... I can't pay you in silver coins because I don't have that much on me. Just take them and go," Lester replied, his face flustered.

 

A surge of irritation swept through William, fueled by what he perceived as disrespect, undoubtedly stoked by General Ja'aduk's influence. "How's that my problem?" he bellowed, echoes bouncing off the walls. "You raised the stakes; now it's time to pay up!"

 

"I... I..." Lester stammered, Big Boss Xuan intervening abruptly.

 

Xuan's interruption cut through the tension like a knife. "Fine, forget the paper. I'll cover the bet in gold instead, that work?" His voice dripped with arrogance.

 

William's gaze shifted from Xuan's glimmering eyes to Nin Li, his trusted companion. "Nin Li, what's the exchange rate for gold coins to silver?"

 

Nin Li's cheeks colored faintly under the sudden focus on her, yet she maintained her composure, her voice soft as she responded, "One gold coin equals one hundred silver coins, Young Master."

 

William's nod was firm, his determination unyielding. "Very well. One million silver coins translate to ten thousand gold coins. I'll accept them."

 

Xuan materialized ten pouches of gold coins from his interspatial ring, his actions brimming with arrogance as he let them spill onto the floor in a careless cluster. Nin Li, her gaze lowered in deference, cast a spell to count the coins meticulously.

 

"Is the amount correct?" William's inquiry was directed at Nin Li, his tone firm.

 

"Y... yes, Young Master," she confirmed, her voice trembling slightly.

 

"Good," William replied smoothly, before swiftly collecting the coins with a flick of his wrist, absorbing them into his interspatial ring in a display of practiced efficiency.

 

"Thank you," William whispered smugly to Big Boss Xuan, his tone laced with satisfaction. With Nin Li by his side, he turned on his heel and began to walk away. However, they had barely moved a few yards when Big Boss Xuan's voice pierced the air with a menacing promise.

 

"Hey, kid! I won't forget this... ever! You hear me!?" Xuan's threat echoed down the alley, reverberating with malice.

 

Instantly, William felt the tremors of fury coursing through him, his hands clenching involuntarily as he fought to regain his composure. He paused for a moment, gathering his resolve, before slowly turning to face Xuan with an icy glare.

 

"You'd better be careful. I won't hesitate to turn another one of your lackeys into a bloody mess to remind you not to cross my path," William's words dripped with venom, his threat hanging heavy in the air.

 

Xuan seemed taken aback by the unexpected retort, his eyes widening in disbelief as another tense silence settled over the alley.

 

"Let's leave, please," Nin Li's whispered plea broke through the silence, her voice tinged with fear. William couldn't shake the feeling of unease, realizing that his actions had likely garnered him a formidable enemy in Big Boss Xuan, with potential repercussions echoing throughout the city's underworld.

 

"Agreed," William replied nonchalantly, masking the turmoil churning within him. They resumed their walk, putting distance between themselves and the lingering threat of Xuan's wrath.

 

As they walked, William's mind churned with conflicting emotions from the recent confrontation. Three blocks later, he halted, his thoughts still racing.

 

"Nin Li, I think it's time we visit a store with higher-quality clothing," he suggested, trying to shift their focus away from the recent altercation.

 

Nin Li's cautionary words echoed in his mind. "What you did back there was unwise. You don't want to make enemies with someone like Big Boss Xuan."

 

William paused, grappling with conflicting emotions. He recognized the excessive nature of his outburst, acknowledging the deeper currents of anger simmering beneath.

 

"You may be right. I don't know what came over me," William admitted solemnly, his voice heavy with remorse.

 

"Indeed, Young Master. It's best not to dwell on it. Now, let's go buy some clothes," Nin Li suggested, offering a semblance of normalcy amidst the lingering tension.

 

William let out a deep sigh, accepting her guidance. "Yes, let's move on."

 

[Ding* The system alerts that an individual present at the match is currently following the host.

 

William cast a quick glance at the mirror to his right, scanning for any pursuers amidst the bustling crowd, but the anonymity of the masses made it impossible to pinpoint the tail.

 

As expected, I did just con them of their money and humiliated that Xuan guy. Let's lose them in a few crowded stores, he thought.

 

With Nin Li leading, William followed closely until they reached a clothing store. There, he meticulously selected the finest outfits, taking his time. After changing into a new ensemble, he discarded his battered clothes into a bin. Upon completing his purchases, William asked Nin Li to take him to the nearest armor shop, where he bought an ornate sheath for General Ja'aduk's sword. He offered to buy something for Nin Li as well, but she declined, stating that nothing available for mere gold coins met her standards.

 

William's final stop was the apothecary guild's shop, where he purchased generic cultivation aid pills, opting for general tablets due to uncertainty about his specific needs. As he headed for the exit after the transaction, a young apothecary blocked his way. The man had an unblemished face and appeared no older than twenty. Notably, he was the only one among the apothecaries wearing an ivory mage robe instead of the standard black uniform. He had luscious black hair, piercing blue eyes, and a tanned complexion that accentuated his sharp features.

 

The man smiled politely before extending his invitation. "Pardon me, young lord. I hope your visit was satisfactory," he began. "I know this may sound abrupt, but have you heard of the auction taking place at the prestigious Mu Clan's estate next week? As fate would have it, I possess an invitation to the VIP balcony section," he added with a theatrical sigh. "Alas, I was intending to take a close friend, but an unfortunate event will prevent his attendance." He relayed this with practiced gravitas. "Why share this, you may ask? Well, considering the prestige of this auction, I'd hate to miss it, yet attending alone wouldn't be proper," the man said smoothly. "Has the young lord already secured seating? If not, given how you present yourself with such an esteemed demeanor, it would be my honor if you would accompany me as my guest. I just know we will get along splendidly - I have an eye for these things. What does my lord say?"

 

Although William faced the apothecary, he continued tracking his pursuer with peripheral vision. His curiosity piqued by the intriguing invitation, he couldn't help but inquire, "I'm sorry, but who are you?"

 

"This humble servant's name is Gregor. I am the guild leader of this branch," the young man replied with a slight bow.

 

"Gregor, this is first time we've met, correct?"

 

"Yes, indeed, our first meeting," Gregor answered, somewhat nervously.

 

"In that case, do you usually invite strangers you've just met to a grand auction?" William questioned, suspicion creeping into his tone.

 

Gregor stammered, "Forgive my presumption. You are not just any random person from what I can see. You have an eye for the finer things. As a humble servant to the city's elite, I aim to help you acquire items that match your civilized tastes."

 

William realized that Gregor had assumed he was important based on his outward appearance. He contemplated correcting the misunderstanding but had a different idea.

 

An auction at the Mu Clan, a chance to meet influential people, and maybe acquire some magical items for my cultivation. He mused. "Why not? I accept your invitation," William replied, assessing the opportunity.

 

Once they confirmed their attendance, William observed that their pursuer had vanished.

 

"Tsk! I lost him," he muttered.

 

"Any issues, young lord?" Gregor asked.

 

William pointed to Nin Li and inquired, "Can my friend accompany us?"

 

"Of course! The more, the merrier. I was planning on going alone. Having guests like you will make the event much more delightful," Gregor said, his excitement evident.

 

"Very well, we'll meet you in a week. What's the address?" William inquired.

 

Gregor provided an address and asked, "May I inquire about your name, young lord?"

 

"My name is William, and I'm not a lord," William replied.

 

Gregor smiled politely and said, "I shall address you as young master William. See you in a week. Good day."

 

Once outside, William noticed the sun setting and urged Nin Li to hasten to the carriage station. As they retrieved their carriage and made their way back towards the tower, William's mind churned with conflicting emotions. The encroaching darkness enveloping their surroundings with the sun's descent seemed to mirror the turmoil within him, an ominous aura seeping into the lengthening shadows. Upon nearing the forest's edge, Nin Li abruptly halted the velociraptors, leapt down from the driver's seat, and swung open the carriage door.

 

"Young Master, it appears we were followed all the way here," she whispered urgently.

 

William feigned surprise, though he had already sensed their pursuers. She noticed? Impressive senses! I likely would have missed them without the system's aid, he mused inwardly.

 

"How many? Do you know their cultivation realms?" he asked aloud, keeping his tone casual.

 

"I detected only one pursuer. I can use a revealing spell to discern their cultivation realm, but it will alert them that we're aware of being followed," Nin Li explained, her tone grave. "If we make it inside the tower's boundaries, my combat abilities increase significantly. However, it may be wisest to eliminate this threat out here; we cannot risk the tower's location being exposed."

 

William sensed the deadly intent behind her pragmatic words. He paused, considering. "He must already be suspicious since you abruptly stopped in the middle of the forest. Checking his cultivation level, even if it makes him aware that you know of his presence, is prudent. That way, we'll know if we need to retreat to the tower if he proves too formidable. If not, we eliminate the pursuer here and now," he responded, his voice taking on a cold, unwavering edge.

 

Nin Li gave a curt nod of agreement. Maintaining utmost stealth, she cast her revealing spell, the air rippling faintly around them. Her eyes narrowed as the spell took effect. Moments later, the rustling of leaves and snapping of branches revealed their pursuer racing to flee through the dense underbrush.

 

Nin Li's gaze fixed on a spot in the woods, her voice laced with disdain. "Peak of the bronze realm! A weakling! I don't even need the tower's amplification to best you!" With those scathing words, she broke into pursuit, her true cultivation bursting forth. Her hands wove intricate patterns, magical energy coalescing around her fingertips in preparation for battle.

 

[Ding* New data [Subject: Nin Li] Magical cultivation three-star initial stage gold realm.

 

Three-star gold! No wonder Moj Dak trusts her strength. I'm curious just how powerful she becomes within the tower's boundaries. William couldn't help but give chase, the intoxicating bloodlust emanating from Nin Li stoking his own primal instincts.

 

As they closed in on the fleeing man, he abruptly vanished into the thick woods. Nin Li, however, remained unperturbed. She glided into a clearing, scanning her surroundings with a discerning eye. William caught up just as a rustling came from behind them.

 

In a blur of motion, Nin Li pounced. Her slender fingers lashed out, wrapping around the man's throat with vicelike strength. Before he could react, she plunged her other hand through his chest, piercing his heart with brutal efficiency. With a disdainful flick, she tossed the lifeless body to the grassy ground.

 

As the man's corpse sprawled onto the grass, with emotionless eyes, Nin Li stared at the corpse. "I should burn it, so nothing remains," she muttered.

 

William hurriedly waved her off. "Wait! Let me first check if he has anything useful on him."

 

After a thorough search of the corpse, William found little of value except the man's interspatial ring, which he promptly claimed for himself. Sorting through its contents revealed a mundane assortment - a few nondescript weapons, worn armor, simple clothing, basic rations, several lower-grade magical cultivation manuals and spellbooks. The only items of real worth were the coins - 3,780 gold, 2,000 silver, and 10,000 copper.

 

"Not a bad little windfall. You can dispose of the body now," William said, stepping back to allow Nin Li space.

 

With a swift hand gesture, she engulfed the corpse in searing flames, reducing it to mere ashes in moments. Once the pyre burned out, no trace of the pursuer remained.

 

"Here's your share of the spoils, Nin Li. It's only fair you take half the coins," William said, offering her a pouch containing over 6,000 gold pieces.

 

To his surprise, she gently waved it off. "I have no need for such paltry riches. You keep all the gold, Young Master. Just the silver and copper will suffice for me."

 

William blinked, taken aback by her selfless gesture, but respected her choice. "As you wish." He transferred the more modest silver and copper funds into the interspatial ring Moj Dak had provided.

 

After ensuring the coins were secure, William retrieved General Ja'aduk's greatsword. Relinquishing ownership of the interspatial ring, he handed it over to Nin Li. As she took the reins to ready the carriage's departure, he informed her of his intentions.

 

"I prefer to travel the remaining distance on foot. You go on ahead."

 

Nin Li inclined her head respectfully. "As you wish, Young Master." With those words, she clicked the reins and the carriage set off, leaving William to stride purposefully towards the tower's towering entrance alone.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1