Chapter 11: The Guild Leader’s Ulterior Motive
1 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Umm... yes. Why, what's wrong? Do you sense any trouble?" Nin Li started looking around frantically, her eyes scanning their surroundings.

 

"No, no. I was just thinking about the fight in the forest. You easily subdued that man," William replied, his eyes locked on her.

 

"Oh. Yes! He was only a bronze realm," Nin Li said, her eyes gleaming with pride.

 

"Say, I was wondering if you could show me some of your fighting techniques," William's gaze intensified, his focus unwavering.

 

"Do you mean like a display?" Nin Li scratched her head, her wings twitching in thought.

 

"No. I mean, fight me," William explained, his determination evident in his posture. "As you know, I want to start cultivating, so it only makes sense if I acquire some training to be able to use the skills."

 

"But, Young Master, my job is to protect you! If by mistake, I caused you any harm..."

 

"Well, it's not going to be a fight to the death," William chuckled softly. "I just want to acquire some new techniques to complement my cultivation."

 

"But, Young Master, you have not started cultivating yet. You could fight one of the puppets. They are pretty strong too," Nin Li suggested, her eyes filled with concern.

 

Suddenly, annoyance surged within William as General Ja'aduk's personality compelled him to lash out.

 

"I said I want to train with you! As your Young Master, I implore you. Moreover, I plan to use whatever I learn to help myself cultivate better," William stated sternly, conveying it as an order, his eyes locking onto hers with authority.

 

"Umm. Okay. We should go out into the open," Nin Li said softly, giving her consent.

 

"Yes, that would be great. Also, could you change into your human form?" he asked, his anticipation growing.

 

"Yes, of course, Young Master," she replied, complying with his request.

 

Nin Li immediately transformed into a young red-haired maiden, this time wearing a black bodysuit, her presence exuding a sense of power.

 

"Okay, let's go," William led the way, stopping on the field near the edge of the forest.

 

"This seems perfect. So, let's begin," he gestured to Nin Li as he assumed a defensive stance, his body tensed with readiness.

 

"What should we do, Young Master?" Nin Li looked confused, her red hair flowing in the wind.

 

"I want to focus on my defense. The fight with Zino was pretty much one-sided, even though his cultivation level was much higher than mine," William responded, addressing Nin Li with determination.

 

Thanks to the nanobots in my body, I was both stronger and faster than him, William reflected, his thoughts filled with secret confidence. I understand that had he used any magic to restrain me or a spell to stop or slow me down, he could have won. But my advantage lay in my physical prowess and the fact that it was a boxing match. Perhaps in a street fight, I would lose to him. However, Nin Li is completely different. She doesn’t just have an advantage in the ability to cast spells; no, she has me completely outmatched, even in strength and speed since her cultivation level is a three-star gold realm. I need to be careful as she is truly dangerous. His thoughts were laced with caution as he considered the challenge ahead.

 

"Young master, you want me to just attack you?" Nin Li asked nervously, her stance poised for action.

 

"Yes. I want to be able to move faster and dodge incoming blows," William replied, his focus unwavering, ready for the training to commence.

 

[Ding* The system advises the host not to engage with the subject [Nin Li]

 

Why?

 

[Ding* The subject [Nin Li] is considerably stronger than the host. Seeing as the host does not have any cultivation yet, the system will not be able to parry her attacks, should she choose to utilize her cultivation.

 

Don't worry. We're just training, and this is to help me control my anger. Nin Li is strong enough that I can't hurt her, even if I wanted to, William reassured, firm with determination.

 

William turned his eyes onto Nin Li, inviting her to charge. In a blur of grace, he witnessed Nin Li's lithe form lunge at him, her movements fluid, brimming with speed and precision.

 

Their spar intensified as William desperately tried to anticipate and parry her lightning-fast assaults, each strike executed with surgical calculation. He managed to deflect a few blows, but it was clear Nin Li was merely warming up. Her punches and kicks sliced through the air with lethal swiftness, her form immaculate, while William fought tooth and nail to keep pace.

 

Despite his valiant efforts, Nin Li dominated the exchange, her movements a mesmerizing testament to her incredible skill and experience. The intensity of their training was palpable, the energy crackling with each dynamic exchange.

 

William's heart thundered as he struggled to keep up, a fury slowly kindling within him, his urge to attack flaring uncontrollably. The frustration of being overpowered by Nin Li stirred something primal deep within, and his vision began to blur, the malevolent will of General Ja'aduk surfacing, fueled by his mounting anger.

 

Suddenly, Nin Li unleashed a devastating barrage of strikes, moving with blinding speed that left William scrambling desperately to defend himself. He crossed his arms in a futile X, clenching his fists and squeezing his eyes shut as he braced for the onslaught. The force of each blow reverberated through his entire being, his heart pounding with fear and determination.

 

As he dared to open his eyes, Nin Li vanished from his sight, and in his disoriented state, he lowered his arms, frantically scanning the surroundings for her. In the blink of an eye, she rematerialized behind him and delivered a bone-crushing kick to his side, sending him hurtling to the ground. He tumbled and rolled, feeling the stinging impact and the rush of adrenaline as he struggled to regain his footing.

 

[Ding* The subject [Nin Li] is too strong for the host to defend. Advising the primary user to cease the fight.

 

No. I need to learn to control myself, William gritted his teeth, his determination burning.

 

"Young Master, are you all right?" Nin Li leaned down to check on William.

 

"I'm...I'm fine. You are fast," William groaned slightly.

 

"It's my cultivation," she remarked.

 

"Yes. My ribs can certainly feel that," said William as he gingerly touched his aching side, attempting to numb the pain.

 

[Ding* Releasing Internal Pluripotent Regenerative Medicine.

 

"I'm so sorry, Young Master," Nin Li bowed her head, her expression filled with remorse.

 

"Don't be. Come on, let's continue," William insisted, pushing himself off the ground, his determination unyielding.

 

"But..."

 

"I said, let's continue," William's voice turned firm, carrying an almost menacing undertone.

 

System, I want you to meticulously study her movements and store them. We can analyze it later, even if I can't fight back right now.

 

[Ding* Instruction accepted.

 

Once again, William requested her to attack, and like a bolt of lightning, Nin Li closed the distance between them in the blink of an eye. Her foot connected with William's chest, and the sheer force of the kick sent him hurtling backward. For a moment, it seemed like gravity would claim him, but sheer determination kept him upright, barely.

 

Nin Li, however, wasn't inclined to offer any respite. Without pause, she launched into a relentless barrage of strikes, her movements a blur of speed and precision. William fought to evade, his instincts guiding him as he desperately swayed, ducked, and parried. But the assault was overwhelming; for every blow he managed to evade, another landed with unyielding force.

 

The tempo of the battle reached its crescendo, and William's heart raced with the pulsating rhythm of combat. Adrenaline coursed through his veins as he grappled to maintain his footing under Nin Li's relentless onslaught. Each hit, each kick, intensified the blood-pumping thrill of the fight.

 

[Ding* Warning. Host under severe physical trauma. Nanobots are unable to keep up with the regeneration.

 

William's ears rang with warning, but he stubbornly pressed on, determined to defy his limits. He fought to defend himself while resisting the relentless urges from General Ja'aduk to launch a counteroffensive.

 

The brutal fight raged on for what seemed like an eternity. William endured a relentless barrage of blows, each punch and kick taking a toll on his battered body. Bruises blossomed across his skin, and while the IPRM worked diligently to mend the damage, he sensed them struggling to keep up with the overwhelming onslaught.

 

[Ding* The system advises the host to stop. Continual assault could result in severe trauma.

 

But William couldn't afford to yield. Adrenaline surged through his veins, and he fought with every ounce of strength and skill. His reflexes were razor-sharp, honed by the relentless training imparted by General Ja'aduk's personal experience and the martial arts skills the system had granted him. With uncanny agility and grace, he continued to evade Nin Li's relentless onslaught.

 

As the relentless duel pushed on, William noticed the subtle signs of fatigue in Nin Li. Her heavy breaths and the gradual slowdown in her strikes fueled his determination. He managed to slip out of her attacks, but the respite was short-lived.

 

Suddenly, with a burst of power that caught him off guard, Nin Li's strikes intensified with shocking ferocity. Her movements blurred, and William found himself at the mercy of her onslaught, his own defense unraveling.

 

Damn it! She played me, William cursed inwardly as her punches overwhelmed him, leaving him virtually helpless.

 

[Ding* Warning! The system advises the host to temporarily cease training.

[Ding* Damage incurred from mana-infused punches is presenting challenges in repair. The system requires a more comprehensive analysis of the damage to improve self-recovery.

 

Realizing that he was teetering on the brink, William urgently called for a halt. Nin Li obeyed, ceasing her relentless assault, and William crumpled to the ground.

 

Nin Li rushed to his side, her voice trembling with concern. "Young Master, I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me. Please forgive me."

 

William felt the pain coursing through his battered body and saw a pool of sweat near him. Every fiber of his being ached, and the unfamiliar surge of energy within him raged like a tempest, threatening to consume him.

 

[Ding* Releasing Internal Pluripotent Regenerative Medicine throughout the body. 

 

"It's...it's all right. You did well," William managed to say, his voice shaky.

 

Nin Li offered her shoulder for support, and they began to walk back toward the gate.

 

Seems like I held my own, wouldn't you agree, System? William thought with a faint smile.

 

[Ding* The host was unable to attack the subject [Nin Li] due to her superior strength.

 

Geez! Thanks for the support.

 

[Ding* The system detects sarcasm in the host's tone.

 

Of course...never mind. How long till I fully heal?

 

[Ding* Twenty-four seconds.

 

Hmm.

 

As they reached the entrance, William surprised Nin Li by managing to stand on his own and regaining most of his vigor.

 

"Thank you, Nin Li," he said, pulling his hand from her shoulder and wiping the blood off his face. It seemed to flow back into his body through his hands.

 

"But, Young Master… I'll- I'll bring you some medicine," Nin Li insisted.

 

"No, I'm fine. See? No bruises," William reassured her, leaning in to show his unblemished face.

 

Nin Li was perplexed. "How? Your face was...did you use a healing spell? But you don't have cultivation yet."

 

William playfully tapped her shoulder and said, "Don't worry about that. Just call me before the auction tomorrow. I'm going to rest now."

 

Nin Li watched him silently as he entered the tower and made his way to his room.

 

Have you recorded Nin Li's fighting techniques? William inquired.

 

[Ding* The system has recorded all of the attacks from the subject [Nin Li].

 

Did you see a pattern or something?

 

[Ding* Affirmative. The system has identified a pattern.

 

Good. Upload it to my memory, so I can use it to defend myself in future spars.

 

[Ding* The host's ability to defend himself will be limited by physical constraints and a lack of cultivation.

 

I'll start cultivating right away. As I make progress, I'll incorporate it into my defense step by step.

 

[Ding* Instruction accepted. Uploading files.

 

William blinked repeatedly for a few seconds.

 

[Ding* Upload complete.

 

Okay. Let's start cultivation. Before that, during the end, I felt an intense surge of energy that made me feel like I could take Nin Li out if I wanted to. What was that about?

 

[Ding* The host was under General Ja'aduk's influence.

 

Hmm. I don't know, but it felt much stronger than usual. Even though I felt much stronger than usual.

 

[Ding* General Ja'aduk's personality influenced the host, causing abnormal symptoms to manifest.

 

Currently, though, I don't feel anything.

 

[Ding* Host has managed to ward off General Ja'aduk's influence. General Ja'aduk's personality is now dormant.

 

That's good. It means I'm gaining control. Now, let's cultivate.

 

William sat cross-legged on his bed; his brow furrowed in deep concentration as he immersed himself in the intricacies of the Systems Path Divine Art. After thirty arduous minutes of intense focus, he reached the pinnacle of the one-star mortal realm. Undeterred, he pushed onward, and another grueling half-hour later, he shattered through to the second-star mortal realm.

 

With a triumphant shout, William leapt to his feet, fists raised in exhilaration. "I did it! The first of many breakthroughs!"

 

A broad grin spread across his face as he lowered his fists and settled back down, determination burning in his eyes. "Let's keep going," he thought, his resolve unwavering.

 

Another forty minutes of intense cultivation saw him achieve the third-star mortal realm. An hour and a half later, he reached the fourth-star mortal realm. After two more hours of relentless effort, he broke through to the fifth-star mortal realm.

 

The sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth-star mortal realms fell like dominos as William's inner strength and mastery of the Systems Path Divine Art increased exponentially.

 

Ninth-star mortal realm, peak.

 

Exhausted yet elated, William decided to take a well-earned break. It was then that he heard Nin Li's gentle knock on the door.

 

"Young Master, the bath has been warmed for you should you wish to bathe before we head out," she informed him courteously.

 

"Head out? Is it auction day already?" William was startled by the passage of time.

 

"Yes. You've been cultivating since yesterday," Nin Li replied.

 

"Right! The auction is in a few hours. I have to shower and get changed. Thank you! I'll be right out!" William answered, quickly getting to his feet.

 

When he opened the door, he was greeted by the captivating sight of Nin Li in her human form. Adorned in an elegant green corset dress with black accents and gold trim, wearing a pair of silk emerald gloves, and her hair coiffed and makeup enhancing her natural beauty, she radiated an irresistible, ethereal charm.

 

William couldn't help but be momentarily taken aback by her stunning appearance. He, who had never had the opportunity to appreciate female beauty, felt a strange sense of awe wash over him. In contrast, General Ja'aduk, from his past life, had a history of priding himself on possessing some of the most exquisite female slaves, predominantly humans and elves. Now, even William couldn't deny that this fairy surpassed them all in terms of allure.

 

"Is there something wrong, young master?" Her concerned expression showed as she continued, "Your bathwater might get cold."

 

William's mouth fell open slightly. "You've already changed."

 

"Yes, we really should be leaving soon." She adjusted her elegant gown demurely. "Even though the auction is tonight, it will take us an hour to get there."

 

William's face flushed, and he mumbled, "You look...beautiful."

 

[Ding* The host's heart rate has been elevated. 

[Ding* The host's heart rate is still within acceptable parameters.

[Ding* No action will be taken.

 

William's cheeks burned even brighter upon hearing the system's notifications.

 

Nin Li's smile deepened, accentuating her lovely features. "Thank you, Young Master."

 

In response, William quickly retreated, heading toward the bathroom. He hastened through a warm bath and dressed himself in a sleek black silk suit, complemented by black leather shoes. Tying his long blond hair into a neat knot, he descended the stairs and found Nin Li waiting, her smile radiating warmth.

 

Upon spotting him, she bestowed a kind smile and commented, "Young Master, you look quite handsome."

 

William's entire face turned scarlet. Eager to shift the focus, he blurted out, "Shall we?"

 

"Of course, Young Master," Nin Li replied as she proceeded towards the front door. William hurriedly reached it first, holding it open for her. "Thank you, Young Master," she graciously acknowledged.

 

Outside, the carriage was already in position, the velociraptors standing at attention. As William and Nin Li approached the carriage, he instinctively opened the passenger door for her.

 

An awkward expression crossed her face. "Young master, I cannot drive the carriage from there," she explained.

 

William insisted, his embarrassment making him all the more flustered, "I'll drive! It wouldn't be right to have a lady in such a beautiful dress take the reins. Your hair might get disheveled!"

 

Nin Li maintained her gentle smile. "Thank you for the offer. But as the tower's guardian, it's my duty to protect my masters."

 

William was insistent, his cheeks now resembling ripe tomatoes. "But I insist..."

 

After a brief pause, Nin Li relented, saying, "Young Master, I suppose I can ride inside with you."

 

William was taken aback by her agreement. "With me? Then who will drive the carriage?" he inquired.

 

She reached into her interspatial ring and retrieved a puppet. "I'll have one of my puppets take care of that," she answered, presenting the puppet to William.

 

William furrowed his brow in confusion. "The puppets?"

 

[Ding* The puppets are responsible for doing all the chores around the tower.

 

Nin Li leaned in, sharing a revealing insight. "I'm surprised you haven't noticed. You don't think I did everything myself. I'm the guardian of the tower...I guess you can say...I'm more like a security guard or a bouncer," she declared, flexing her muscles in a playful, exaggerated manner.

 

"A bouncer? Hehe...Ok? Let's just get going before it gets too late," he replied with a chuckle, appreciating Nin Li's humorous antics.

 

They entered the elegant carriage, and Nin Li positioned herself to face William. With a deft flick of the whip by the puppeteer, the carriage began to glide forward, the sleek velociraptors propelling it gracefully. The initial moments of the journey were filled with an unspoken tension, as William contemplated words left unsaid. The rest of the ride continued in relative silence, occasionally interrupted by William's shy glances at Nin Li, his cheeks still tinged with a blush.

 

Upon their arrival, Nin Li stored the puppet back in her interspatial ring. An attendant promptly attended to the carriage, for which Nin Li paid, receiving a token in return, which she secured in her ring. The two then made their way to the residence of Guild Leader Gregor. Waiting outside was Gregor himself, standing beside an opulent carriage.

 

Gregor visibly relaxed upon their arrival. "Oh...young master...you made it. I was beginning to worry you might not show."

 

Concern etched William's features as he inquired, "The auction hasn't started...has it?"

 

"No. Not yet, young master. If we head there now, we'll make it just before they start," Gregor reassured them with confidence.

 

William exhaled with relief this time. "Let's head out then."

 

As they approached the awaiting carriage, Gregor's driver opened the door, and William entered first, Nin Li following closely. Right before Nin Li was about to step inside, Gregor removed his hat and offered a gallant bow. "My lady, you are radiantly beautiful. It is an honor to share this ride with you."

 

Nin Li acknowledged the compliment with grace. "Thank you, guild leader."

 

With Gregor aboard, the carriage set forth toward its destination. It didn't take long before they arrived at the imposing gates of the Mu clan estate, where a liveried servant promptly opened the carriage door. Stepping out, William found himself captivated by the magnificent castle looming before him. The estate was enclosed by towering granite walls, a grand arched entrance allowing only a tantalizing glimpse of the four splendid marble towers adorning each corner of the palatial edifice. Gregor presented their ticket to the servant, securing passage, and they proceeded through the château's lavish grounds.

 

A meticulously laid gravel path, fine-grained and leading to the entrance, cut through an immaculately manicured lawn. This elegant avenue was flanked by rows of precisely trimmed shrubs on either side, a verdant frame for the splendor ahead.

 

At the grand entrance, two armored guards intercepted Gregor to examine their tickets once more, granting them access after careful verification. The party then ventured further into the palace through a hallway adorned with sparkling marble finishes, the soft green ambient lighting lending an air of regal grandeur to the surroundings.

 

As they walked, the sheer opulence of their surroundings became increasingly apparent to William. Whoever owns this must wield immense wealth and influence.

 

Upon reaching the end of the hallway, a liveried guard ushered them through an immense scarlet door, revealing an expansive auditorium spanning hundreds of feet. Soft, ambient lighting adorned the vaulted ceiling, focusing illumination on the guest seats to provide visibility without intrusion. In stark contrast, the stage gleamed under brilliant illumination, every detail exposed for all to behold. Flanking the room were twin sweeping staircases leading to the balcony, which William identified as the VIP area. He noticed it was divided into several private boxes akin to an opera house.

 

"Follow me, Young Master." Gregor gestured to the left staircase, guiding them to a balcony box outfitted with three plush seats overlooking the stage where the auction would unfold. A table laden with exquisite cuisine sat within arm's reach. Two liveried attendants, a human girl and an elven male, stood ready to serve. The party took their seats, with Gregor on the far left, William in the center, and Nin Li to his right.

 

A curious glint sparkled in Gregor's eyes as he turned to William. "Tell me, Young Master, which family do you hail from? You've mentioned before that you're not a lord, but surely you belong to a prominent family in the city," he inquired, his tone laced with thinly-veiled inquisitiveness.

 

William began to answer, but Nin Li interjected before he could reply.

 

"Guild leader Gregor, is there a hidden motive behind the question you've just asked my young master?" Her words, though accompanied by a serene smile, held an undercurrent of suspicion aimed squarely at the guild leader.

 

Gregor responded with an air of nonchalance. "Hidden motive? Not at all, my lady. I was merely making casual conversation."

 

William fell silent, trying to decipher Nin Li's reason for the sudden interjection.

 

"Truly? Because you seemed quite eager to ask it. One might argue that it was a political question," Nin Li persisted, her tone growing wearier and laced with subtle accusation.

 

Gregor met her gaze for a moment, then broke into a chuckle. "It seems your instincts are quite sharp, my lady."

 

Confusion etched William's features as he questioned Gregor. "What's going on here, Guild Leader Gregor?"

 

Gregor maintained his genial demeanor, replying, "It seems you have a remarkably vigilant servant, Young Master."

 

Surprised by the candor in Gregor's response, William probed further. "So, does that mean you do have a hidden motive behind your question?"

 

Gregor's smile remained gentle as he explained, "A hidden motive? Well, perhaps, Young Master. But I assure you, there's nothing nefarious afoot."

 

Nin Li, angered by his evasive reply, couldn't restrain herself. "I will be the judge of that."

 

Gregor, adopting an apologetic tone, admitted, "I'm sorry if I've given you offense, my lady. It was improper of me to invite you here under false pretenses."

 

Nin Li's frustration overflowed. "I should've known! It's highly unusual for you to invite a total stranger to such an exclusive event. You must have paid a fortune for these tickets, Guild Leader Gregor. If that's even your true identity? I've never encountered an apothecary guild leader with such low cultivation, and you're remarkably young. Just how old are you?" Her voice rose, the composure she once held slipping away.

 

Amidst the mounting tension, William interjected awkwardly, "Nin Li, please calm yourself and let him explain first."

 

"No... she's right to question my motives, Young Master," Gregor admitted, his smile tinged with sadness. He glanced at the liveried servants by the door. "Will you give us a moment until the auction starts, please?" Both servants nodded before discreetly withdrawing and closing the door behind them.

 

"We can speak freely now. This balcony may be open, but a silence spell has been cast so those beyond cannot hear us," Gregor explained, gesturing at the crowd below and other balconies.

 

William nodded and gazed intently at Gregor, his suspicion still apparent. He decided to give the guild leader the benefit of the doubt due to his apparent frankness. William had also anticipated some peculiarity about the whole situation, as he had been certain that the guild leader had mistaken him for a noble, which implied an ulterior motive - one William had not considered during their first meeting due to being preoccupied with the stalker.

 

With a sheepish smile, Gregor began his explanation. "I truly am Feros City's apothecary guild leader. I became the youngest guild leader ever at 23 years old, two years ago. I am now 25, obviously. I achieved this through my own merits by working diligently from a very young age. I started studying at the age of 3 with my father's tutelage, and by the time I was 6, I became a medicine boy. I became an apprentice at age 12 and advanced from then on."

 

He continued with pride, "I managed to receive a highly coveted five-star apothecary badge despite my cultivation only being at the peak of the silver realm. They made an exception for me because they recognized my exceptional apothecary skills. I suppose you could say I'm boasting, but that's merely a testament to how skilled I am at my craft."

 

William's brow furrowed with confusion. "I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the apothecary guild's ranking system," he confessed, feeling a tinge of embarrassment.

 

Gregor smiled warmly. "That's quite alright, then allow me to educate you, young master. Aside from the requisite skills to pass the examinations, they also have stringent cultivation requirements for each badge rank. Certain advanced pills and potions require high levels of cultivation to be crafted. To receive a one-star apothecary badge, one must have achieved a minimum of the one-star silver realm. For a two-star badge, one must be at three silver realms. The three-star badge mandates nine silver realms. A four-star badge requires one gold realm. A five-star badge necessitates six gold realms. A six-star badge demands three black gold realms. A seven-star badge requires nine black gold realms. An eight-star badge calls for six-star platinum realms, and a nine-star badge, the highest rank, necessitates one-star diamond realm cultivation."

 

"So, if your cultivation needs to be at a certain level to create high-level concoctions, how did you pass the exams?" William asked, his intrigue piqued.

 

Gregor's eyes lit up with enthusiasm as he explained, "The rules actually state that if you can successfully manufacture a pill or potion of the badge's level you're testing for, you pass. I spent years learning from one of the very best apothecaries, my father. He taught me how to control my mana flame with exacting precision, using no more than necessary. It's through this meticulous control that I was able to overcome the cultivation gap."

 

William leaned in, his curiosity stoked. "Control mana flames? Can you teach someone that? If they wanted to learn?"

 

Gregor nodded thoughtfully, his brows furrowing. "I could. However, it's not something that can be taught overnight. It took me years of dedicated study to master it myself."

 

William disregarded the displeased expression on Gregor's face and pressed on with his questions. "Can cultivators of any class become apothecaries?"

 

"No. Only those from the wizard, magician, herbalist, creationist, wish, healer, luck, poison, witch, shaman, and, well, blood mage classes are eligible. Though, I doubt any reputable apothecaries around here would be willing to teach the poison class, witch class, shaman class, and especially not a blood mage."

 

"Intriguing, so..."

 

Nin Li interrupted curtly, her tone sharp and to the point. "Apologies, Young Master, but if you're interested in apothecaries, you can research the library...or inquire with the Master upon his return. This man is not to be trusted, and he has yet to reveal why he has truly brought us here."

 

William realized he was veering off-topic and sighed apologetically. "Oh, right...please, continue with your story, Guild Leader Gregor."

 

Gregor lightly chuckled. "Not a problem, Young Master. Anyway, where was I? Ah, yes...right. When I finally became the guild leader of my branch, I was elated. I remember my father was so proud. However..." A dark shadow crept over his features. "Others were not. You see...my father was a high-ranking elder, an esteemed 8th-star apothecary at the headquarters in Marie City. Everyone else viewed my promotion as blatant favoritism from my father."

 

Frowning, Gregor shared his frustration, "My father had absolutely nothing to do with my appointment as guild leader! He wasn't even part of the committee that selected me! The elders who appointed me didn't even know of our relation until after I had assumed the position!" He sighed dejectedly.

 

"Naturally, when the elders of my branch discovered this, they immediately cried favoritism and claimed the committee had known about my father all along. They all complained bitterly, but eventually settled down without filing an official grievance against me. I imagine it was out of fear of my father's standing. That tenuous peace held until two months ago." Gregor paused, cringed, and closed his eyes, holding his glabella with his right hand.

 

Exhaling deeply, the shadow on his face darkened as he continued, "Two months ago, my father perished in an explosion along with several other elders. They were working on some secretive project out in the wilds...I don't know the precise details. Headquarters had everyone sworn to silence about it."

 

"What happened then?" William's eyes gleamed with undisguised curiosity.

 

With disdain lacing his tone, Gregor chuckled mirthlessly and replied, "My father's corpse was probably not even cold yet when the elders of my branch started whispering to officials here in Feros. Soon, most of the local nobles were already aligned against me. They filed for a review of my position as head of the guild two weeks ago. The hearing is in another two weeks," he said, slamming his right fist on the armrest with frustration.

 

William stared at Gregor for a moment before exclaiming in confusion, "I don't understand what I have to do with any of this, Guild Leader Gregor."

 

Gregor didn't turn to face William, and his expression shifted from anger to despair. "When I found out there would be a hearing...I immediately tried to arrange meetings with some of the city's nobles. However, not a single one would grant me an audience. I know that some of the most prominent families hold sway over the nobles, but gaining an opportunity to meet with them is exceedingly difficult. They're perpetually preoccupied! To even schedule a brief meeting takes months of persistence. I was feeling utterly defeated. I couldn't get anyone to simply hear me out."

 

Annoyed, Nin Li interrupted, "So when you encountered the Young Master...you presumed...if you couldn't reach the nobles directly...you might secure a meeting with them through their offspring."

 

Gregor didn't deny the accusation and instead continued, his gaze desperate. "You carried an air of wealth, and a servant accompanied you as well. I could simply tell you were no ordinary boy. I sensed it. I knew you must be the child of one of the nobles, or at the very least, from one of the prominent families."

 

As the realization set in, William turned away, his gaze fixed on the arriving guests taking their seats below the balcony. "I'm afraid I must disappoint you, Guild Leader Gregor, for I am neither of those things. As you already know, I am not a noble, nor do I belong to any prominent family," he stated nonchalantly.

 

Gregor immediately swiveled to face him, shock etched across his features. "What? No. You must be! I mean, you weren't flaunting your wealth or anything. However, I just had this inexplicable feeling about you!" he exclaimed.

 

Exhaling, William, still facing away, responded, "No, actually." An awkward smile graced his lips as he slowly turned to meet Gregor's gaze.

 

"I merely purchased some expensive clothing to taunt a group of thugs I had just conned."

 

"You were taunting thugs?" Gregor inquired with a perplexed expression.

 

Unable to hold Gregor's stunned gaze, William muttered apologetically, "I'm sorry, I am not who you presumed me to be."

 

Gregor remained silent for a stretched moment before muttering to himself, "So, that's it...everything I've worked for...my father...it's all gone," he exclaimed hopelessly. William observed his listless face, devoid of any emotion, as if all the life had been drained from him.

 

Dive into a world where technology meets magic with my novel, "Nanotech Magician Volume 1: The Path to Magic," now available on Amazon! Kindle Unlimited members read FREE, and non-members can enjoy a one-month free trial. Start your adventure here: Nanotech Magician Volume 1

Nanotech Magician Volume 2, "Road to the Dark Tournament," is also out now exclusively on Amazon. Want a sneak peek at the characters? Follow me on X and Instagram @MrBritez for exclusive unofficial manga pages featuring scenes from the novel. Chapters one and two available now!

Get ready for thrills and intrigue - Happy reading!
MrBritez

1