Chapter 10 – The Guardian
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10

The Guardian

 

     Head west, where the forest is thinner. That was what the old priest told them, and sure enough, they did not walk long before the number of dead stumps that were scattered around increased. But there were no traces of trees toppling over near the stumps; it was as if the trunks and branches simply vanished. But it quickly became apparent that the priest didn’t tell them the whole truth about this monster. The closer they got to it, the more Bastet felt like he was trespassing, or rather, that no human could belong here. A part of him still wished to deny its existence, but the inhuman evil shrouding this forest testified that the monster was here in all of its absurdity, and that it cared little of what reason deemed possible.

-“It’s a trap, isn’t it?” – Lilian asked with a half-smile on her face. The priest could not issue them orders, but having explained his business with Wesians, and the significance of this monster, they could not refuse his request. If they ensured that the monster stayed fed, it would give the priest more time to find a way to tame it. And if he managed to tame it, then one day it would provide aid in the wars to come. It was in the best interest of Wesia that they help, so Ariadne’s curse did not allow them to disregard the request.

-“Seems like a trap.” – Bastet anxiously agreed – “His story forces our hand too well for it to be a coincidence. And as the old saying goes, you know where the stinky finger’s been. Besides…” – He frowned as he looked at the bloody leg that the priest gave them – “You saw the size of that centipede. If this monster is much more powerful than it, I doubt this leg will be enough to satiate its hunger. But tell you what, I have some pork on me” – He shuffled through the bag – “It’s already starting to smell bad, but it should be good enough for a monster to eat.”

-“It’s much more likely that the two of us are on today’s menu.” – Lilian shook her head – “To them, we are a delicacy rich with life. After all, the whole universe is but one moment of man. Nothing else comes close in comparison.”

-“Is that why…” –  Bastet’s tongue felt heavy and his voice got stuck in his throat. His hair stood on ends, and he found it terribly difficult to look to his left, which is what his senses screamed at him to run away from. But Ariadne’s curse overpowered his fear, and with the feeling of impending doom, he moved through the bushes. He glanced at Lilian, and she seemed a bit out of breath.

At this point, he became aware of some external influence that meddled with his brain. His vision swirled and he got dizzy, but he managed to grab onto some branches to keep his balance. The pervading malevolence was getting thicker in the direction they headed, and it became apparent to them that nothing but malignancy may exist around this being, and that if they are to get any closer, they would have to let some insanity seep into them. It was then that the trees cleared, revealing a vast hole in the ground filled with darkness so black it felt unnatural. Yet something about it was strangely familiar, which made Bastet feel nauseous. This was no monster, nor any contingent being; he was certain of it. It was a terror too grand to stay confined in nightmares, so inevitably it surfaced beyond them. Their legs brought them no closer. Bastet tried to steady his trembling hands and threw the priest’s chopped leg forward, but his arms were limp and out of strength, so it landed close to the edge of the hole.

A long streak of darkness rose from the abyss like a tentacle. It slithered towards the leg, swirled around it, and dragged it in. Bastet turned around and grabbed Lilian’s hand, but she gestured that they can’t run away. A shrill choir of children’s voices rang from all around them – You are not welcome here.

It was as if the world froze over. Bastet was paralyzed with fear, and he fell down on his knees – “W-We come to pay respect to the great one!” – he stuttered – “We bring a gift from the priest!”

Bastet could see ethereal darkness slowly stretching to surround them – Tell me, humans. Do you serve the chaos priest?

-“No” – Bastet quickly yelled – “We were merely doing him a favor, we didn’t know!” – With those words, the oppressive malevolent aura vanished. Just a moment ago, they were sure that the monster before them was the enemy of all living things, but now that feeling of animosity was completely gone.

-The priest wants to bind me, dominate me, but he is mistaken. I serve only the chaos god of insanity. – The tentacles writhed about at his mention, and it seemed like even more childish voices joined the choir – This land is unstable. The laws of the world are broken. I devour what is corrupted so that decay does not spread. I wish to save this world from falling apart.

-“You’re… trying to fix this place?” – Lilian trembled – “Just what are you?”

But all of the voices replied with a different answer to her question – I am the bringer of folly. The one who clouds your judgement when you dream. The bane of the old, the rashness of the enamored. I am decay of the mind.

It was ominous to hear that while feeling no fear, Bastet thought. It was as if the monster altered their minds so that they would be able to talk to it. Lilian’s bottom lip quivered – “Why is a servant of a chaos god trying to stop decay? Is that not something you take pleasure in observing instead?”

-Madness must remain false in order to be mad. Make no mistake, humans. It is amusing to watch you struggle in your sleep, lost in the absurdity of your dreams, so helpless to uncover that it is all a lie. But what would happen in a world that decayed to be just as absurd? What even is insanity, in a world not governed by reason? We must maintain the order of the world, or else we will lose our place in it.

Bastet loudly gulped. He didn’t dare doubt its words. It was far too terrifying to consider they’d ever have to face it as an enemy.

-But the priest is restraining me, limiting my power. All I can do is slowly devour this forest, tree by tree. At that pace I will never succeed. Your world will perish, and so will I with it. – The voices fell silent, and out of the hole climbed a young boy with blond hair, dressed in a long white tunic. His skin was glistening like moonlight, and his eyes were bright blue – “So help me. You are the only ones who can save this world. Kill the priest who dared to insult me, and free me from his shackles.”

Bastet stepped back, finding it difficult to endure the boy’s gaze. It felt heavy. Or was it the choice it presented that was heavy? Luckily, he thought, Ariadne’s curse has him cornered – “He’s supplying Wesians with monsters. Killing him would hurt their cause. We can’t do it.”

-“If a chaos baron came out of his temple once, it is just a matter of time until it happens again.” – The boy smiled – “And I assure you, there are not many of us who wish to fix the world, rather than destroy it. If you do not stop his efforts, only doom awaits.”

Bastet felt a chill run up his spine. If another monster like this turned on them, who would possibly be able to stop it? He waited, but Ariadne’s curse did not force his choice. But why? If all of this was the truth, then wasn’t it in the best interest of all mankind to kill the priest? So why was the curse silent? He loudly gulped. Making choices was far more difficult than he realized. As he hesitated, it was Lilian who spoke up first – “You serve a chaos god. Almost every book ever written on the subject warns not to trust you.”

-“Chaos gods are evil, and humans are good?” – The boy smiled and clasped his hands together – “Surely you two would know it’s not that simple. We all do what we have to, for our own reasons. And I’ve already uncovered mine.” – The slow parting of his hands revealed a silver-glit hilt, and then a crescent-shaped guard with a white orb that shined in its middle, and then finally, a long white blade. He approached Bastet. – “Many monsters squirm in his temple, and it won’t be easy to take him down. This is my gift for you. Silverlight, bane of evil.” – He turned towards Lilian and reached under his tunic – “And for the girl, a spell tome, with my own authority. It is not something you can read quickly, but it will guide you on your travels once this unfortunate event is long behind us.”

A white mist enveloped Bastet’s forearm while he held the sword. Even while weakened, the being was far too powerful to resist in any meaningful way. Would it even accept no for an answer? If it bore such hostility towards the priest, how would it react if they refused its request? The decay of mind, the bringer of folly... Can they even say no, or would it alter their minds with false reasons that would make them do its bidding? Lilian seemed to know more about it than he did. But it was dangerous to have her speak of it here. Bastet appeared to hesitate before Lilian squeezed his hand. He looked in her eyes, and saw she understood. – “We will take your request. We will talk with the priest and demand he sets you free.”

-“Talk? No, the priest must die.” – The boy tilted his head – “And you must understand, I cannot allow both of you to leave this place. You are my only hope, so I require a guarantee before I let you go.” – He smiled – “The girl stays.”

Bastet’s teeth clattered. He promised he would look after her. – “No. We go together, or we don’t go at all.” – He moved in front of her, brandishing his sword with unsteady hands. He had to think of an excuse. – “I know too little. The priest will run circles around me if I talk to him on my own. He will convince me that it is right to spare him, and the curses that bind me will make me unable to lift a finger on him. And if you make me stay instead of her, Lilian can’t kill him on her own. You have to let us both go.”

The boy didn’t even blink. It seemed like this was exactly what he expected would happen. He spread his arms and declared – “Then swear an oath to me. Prove that you will do my bidding.” – Bastet was at a loss for words, and an eerie silence filled the forest. Perhaps it had noble intentions, but this was not a being he wanted to be bound to.

-“Without us, your fate is sealed.”– Lilian balled up her fists – “So why should we have to swear anything to you? If you’ve been truthful, you are in no position to make such demands. And if you haven’t been so truthful, then it would be a grave mistake to ever set you free.”

Thick black fog covered the boy’s face, and the choir of voices hissed in response. The ground shook as countless tentacles protruded through his back. – So be it. – At the display of its hostility, Bastet and Lilian realized just how terrifying of a choice they’ve made – You may leave together. But if you betray me, humans, I promise you this. I will use you as seedbeds to grow my most horrid nightmares on.

0