❂ Chapter 2 ❂
1.4k 5 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The few citizens that were in the way immediately parted for the carriage to go through, bowing reverently at the sides. Not a single peep could be heard from inside but the citizens didn't feel dissatisfied; in fact, they felt fortunate for being able to stand in the presence of an Auster House member despite not even seeing them. As soon as they were gone, everyone began chatting excitedly.

"I wonder where they're going."

"Which sibling do you think it is?"

"It's mostly the Young Lady. The Young Lord rarely ever stays around here since he is busy juggling many foreign affairs at once."

"But the Young Lady never comes out. What could she be coming out today for?"

"She's probably going to the Trade Union. I heard that there is something big happening over there today. I've seen a bunch of carriages go over there."

      And they were right. Currently, Cordelia was on her way to the Trade Union building that had been established in Invicta. As the name suggested, it was an organisation dedicated to the trading, purchase, selling, importing and exporting of goods and money to several locations around not just the continent but across the world; a giant that was capable of controlling the flow of the global economy and as a result was governed by a group of several powers that rotated every 6 years. 

      The interior of the carriage was a complete juxtaposition from the exterior; being excessively opulent, it was almost as if every inch of the carriage was sprinkled in money. The windows were also one-sided so you could only see out the carriage and not in, giving the passengers privacy as well as vision. With the main theme of a dull, ominous black, there were highlights of a royal crimson and a dazzling gold that stung Cordelia's eyes a little. Brother is too lavish... Thinking of that, she shook her head and dispelled the thought as the carriage finally reached the Trade Union.

      Located at the outskirts of the city, it was, for some reason, placed in a rather bad position. She had questioned the Branch Head who managed this building but was warded off with a harmless smile, her question averted with a subtle change of subject. Nevertheless, she didn't push any further as a relationship with the Trade Union were important. It was also for this reason that she had reluctantly left the manor to attend an auction that they had invited her to which was the 'big event' that was to take place. There was also another important reason other than that, which was the main factor in her bothering for this rare outing today.

      Being one of the four Trade Union Branches in the Escadan Empire, many powers and influential figures had gathered in Invicta today. Very few people knew why there was a branch in the fallen Dukedom of the north but they didn't want to question the Trade Union about it.

      "Miss, we have arrived."

She closed her eyes in response, merely tapping her fingers on the armrest. No more words were spoken between the two as the driver had an instinctual understanding of her character. The door opened, a fresh gust of summer wind entered the warm interior. Brushing her long locks behind her ear, Cordelia stepped down from the carriage with faultless grace and noble decorum. The soldier-cum-driver held her hand in his palm the way down like a gentleman.

      Almost instantly, one of the servants walked up to her, welcoming Cordelia to the Trade Union Branch with a polite smile. 

"Would you like for me to take your shawl, Miss?"

"Thank you for the offer, but no. I wouldn't want to burden you."

She handed it off to Victor instead, the soldier, who received it stoically. Sending them off, the servant left to attend to other arriving patrons as she entered the building beside Victor. Her peach summer dress was rather simple compared to the luxurious attire that many others donned but it was in no way inferior in value as it was made out of Imperial Butterfly Silk, embroidered with a theme of pink magnolia trees and petals on the end of the skirt. It showed some skin on her forearms but was otherwise rather conservative, appropriate for a young girl who wasn't of age yet.

      "Ah! Miss Auster! I was expecting you."

Heads turned towards her as a jolly, booming voice erupted from within the staff area. The source entered the room with large strides, his body taller and bigger than most. Not only that, but his face was curved up in an infectious smile which softened his grisly countenance that was filled with scars and a gruff beard. With short, dark-brown shaggy hair ruffling against the air as he moved quickly, his eyes twinkled in amusement at her deadpan face.

      The man stood before Cordelia, dwarfing her already petite stature.

"Mark. Nice to meet you again too," she drawled out, her words filled with sarcasm but also genuine cheer at his appearance.

This man was the proprietor and Head of this Trade Union Branch and someone who had a professional relationship with not just Cordelia but the entirety of the Auster House. Being a depot of money, they were the reason why the Auster House could stand for so long when being pressured by other houses and the Imperial Court. Without the trade agreement between them, Invicta and the other cities could never have been so 'prosperous' as it was now. 

      "Hm? Why so sad? Am I that bad?"

By now, all attention was focused on the duo as they spoke like old friends. Confusion and shock were rampant amidst the crowd as they felt slightly threatened by their good relationship. Some were slightly entertained by the comical sight of a giant speaking with a tiny girl on equal terms and a tiny minority were furrowing their eyebrows, already turning to the confidantes for information on her. Many guests came here unprepared in that aspect as they believed that the Auster territories were insignificant and that there were no local major contenders. After all, the most they knew about the Auster House was that it was an abandoned ducal house with no real political pull in the inner workings of the Escadan Empire.

      "Shall we go inside? We have much to speak about."

"Alright."

With that, the two of them entered the backdoor, leaving Victor to wait in the lobby.

❈ ❈ ❈

1st of March, the Year 1202
9:25 
City of Invicta, Trade Union Branch

The moment they entered the private room, Mark's happy-go-lucky atmosphere dimmed significantly, almost vanishing completely. Even the way he moved changed, going from careless and haphazard paces to trained and silent steps. Beneath that joyful exterior was a cold, hardened warrior who had seen and experienced hundreds of battles. In reality, he was an ex-general in the Demon Wars 40 years ago who had seen the worst horrors of war, killing and death. Truly, a fearsome man. Even Cordelia was temporarily off-put by his sudden change, her back tingling slightly.

      "So? Was that good enough?"

Mark's voice retained a sliver of that previous shell though it was now mostly dominated by stalwart conviction. 

"Satisfactory," she replied curtly.

"I don't think I can act better than that. I almost felt happy you know? I suppose all the years have rubbed off of me."

Taking a pause, they sat down on two opposite sofas with snacks and light beverages already prepared on the table in the middle. Mark took three biscuits and ate them all in a single satisfying crunch while Cordelia daintily sipped her black coffee. Although he looked to be a barbarian and acted so at times, he still had a modicum of etiquette as he wiped off the crumbs in his beard with a tissue.

      "So, are you gonna start moving now?"

She raised an eyebrow.

"Starting off blunt?" She questioned with a slight curve on her mouth.

"Hmph. You should know me by now, Cordelia. I hate stalling and all that nonsense. Just get to the point, yeah?" 

He inhaled more biscuits and washed it down with a gulp of tea. Sighing at his crude manners, she put down her coffee and answered his question.

"I am. Brother also thinks that the time is right. I am also tired of all this hiding. The Auster House has hidden for too long."

Mark grinned at that ruthless glint in her scarlet eyes. Over the years, he had cultivated his relationship with the two siblings and found to appreciate their habits, personality and quirks. Cordelia was the more interesting of the two, though he wouldn't deny his fondness for the eldest sibling as he was what he imagined himself to be when he was younger. He just hoped that the young man wouldn't have to go through what he did.  

      The girl was an anomaly to him though. Interesting or not, she often surprised him with these moments where her character took a 180 from its usual placid demeanour into a steel-eyed hunter. As a skilled warrior himself, he also respected her style of fighting which he himself helped to train. It was rather unique and something that no one else would ever be able to replicate entirely, he could tell that much. If he had to use a sentence to describe his relationship with the two, it would be parent and child. However, Mark knew that he would never be able to replace their real father in their hearts. That man was... something else. Their father was also the reason why he settled his branch in the Auster territories.

      Snapping out of his reverie, he saw her unruffled persona taking over again, drinking her coffee.

"What are you gonna do now?" He was often wondering what the siblings' next move would be. After all, they were truly an interesting enigma to him.

"Attend the Cheiss Academy."

Mark almost spit out his tea. But when he saw her unamused expression, he lost it, guffawing out loud as the liquid in his mouth spewed out. Cordelia quickly dodged out of the way as it hit the couch she was sitting on, her mouth curled in displeasure.

"Ahah, I-I'm sorry. I just... Just thought that you were joking."

      He took a few moments to calm himself, though both of them knew that there was still a grin threatening to break out on his face.

"You always refused to attend education facilities. What are you planning?"

"Connections."

She responded so quickly that he didn't believe her.

"And?"

"And? Nothing else."

He shook his head, a knowing smile on his face.

"It was your brother, wasn't it? He told you to go there to like, get some friends or something right?"

Of course, Mark was spot on. Cordelia's cheeks turned a light shade of red at his correct guess.

"Yes."

"Haha! I saw you blush! And here I thought you were some heartless wrench that didn't care about my poor heart."

Cordelia's face twitched in irritation. Over the course of the conversation, he had been turning back into his fake persona as the conversation delighted him. 

"You're getting ahead of yourself. Are we done here?"

His face suddenly turned grave, as if discovering a profound revelation. Her eyes also turned serious at his change in bearing.

"What?"

"C-could it be... the legendary t-tsundere?!"

The door of the room slammed shut, leaving Mark alone.

❈ ❈ ❈

Cordelia sat almost languidly on the couch in her VIP room that overlooked the auction room. It wasn't nearly as extravagant as the carriage but that was to be expected since her brother was overly excessive when it came to her. Victor, having been retrieved after she finished her 'talk' with Mark, was standing behind her, his back as straight and robust as ever. 

      Her conversation with the old man had been mentally tiring, to say the least. Her nerves had been rather high-strung these days and having it all released with that relaxed chat a while ago exhausted her slightly. Preparing for Cheiss Academy was no joke, no matter how much she scoffed at the inefficiency of education systems in the world. More often than not, they were tainted with the tendrils of noble greed, institutions for clout, status and wealth. In her own country, the Royal Escadan University was a textbook example of this; the number of commoners there could be counted on one hand and even then, they received subpar education, due to teachers being pressured by nobles offended by their presence, and bad treatment from other students. 

      Cordelia would never call herself a selfless saint. She had plenty of blood on her hands. She wasn't innocent. She acknowledged those students' bad luck for stepping foot into that academy and moved on. She was merely a bystander. Unless she had some business with them, Cordelia wouldn't seek them out of her own volition. Her late parents had taught her to care about herself and those whom she loved; in this cruel society, you don't have the time nor effort to stick your neck out for strangers. She stuck to this creed... that was how her parents died after all.

      Thankfully, the Cheiss Academy was different. Mainly due to the fact that it was unaffiliated with any country, it was somewhat free from the shackles of corruption. There would always be royal families and highly ranked individuals who tried, but the Headmaster of the academy wasn't any pushover either. He was a Magi, the highest rank a mage could obtain, and was a war hero of the Demon Wars much like the old man. Plus, her brother had handpicked this academy after thoroughly researching its inner workings and had given the green light for her to attend.

      The auction seats were now bunched full with plenty of guests. Even with that, they remained rather comfortable with their spacious chairs and soft seats. It was a selling point of the Trade Union; they favoured quality over quantity. 

"Ladies and gentlemen! I hope you're all rather excited about this auction?" Mark had stepped onto the stage, his voice booming out over the magic speakers arranged throughout the hall. Most of the guests were well-educated and refined so the crowd only quietly murmured in response, with a few more than enthusiastic replies from some of the more eccentric patrons.

"I see, I see. Anyways, moving on. My name is Mark Abath and I am the Head of this Trade Union Branch in the Auster city of Invicta. My branch has worked with the Auster House locally so that we can provide the best experience here for you esteemed guests, especially since Auster is rather known for its abundance of high-quality monster materials. As a result, my boss has allowed me to arrange this auction today."

Work with us? That's not true. Unless... Her mind trailed off to her brother and she smiled wryly. Why must he do these things without telling her?

Mark could be subtle when he wanted to. Although it was badly disguised in her opinion, his introductory speech had undirectly spoken out about the Trade Union's support in the supposedly desolate Auster House. So it has begun already, hm? Brother is moving without me. Again, she smiled with mirth at his antics. Always so protectiveEver since they died, he's been like this. She was so distracted with her wistful trance that she missed the rest of Mark's speech. Her attention shifted back when they pulled the first item on the stage.

      "Victor. Hand me the list of items."

"Of course, Miss." He promptly placed the booklet in her outstretched hand.

The girl hadn't actually studied the list of items to be auctioned as she had no real interest prior to coming here. The only reason why she would be intrigued now was that Brother was the one who had set this all up. Her eyes skimmed over the names, her Perfect Memory skill drinking it all in.

      "Going once. Going twice. Anyone? Sold for 3 platinum coins and 51 gold coins!"

A few more items and then I can buy that... I have about just enough if I convert my gold into platinum. 300 into 3 more platinum... alright.

"These last ten items will only be bid with platinum coins! Next, we have a rare Fire Lotus. But that's not all! It's been nourished with the roots of the World Tree that eject dense mana into the soil that grew this plant. We even have an esteemed guest from the Elven Epoch today who can personally verify that for us."

      Appearing from behind the curtains came a tall, thin man of pale pigmentation. His face was young, almost baby-like but with an ancientness that hung on every part of it. Long tresses of golden hair hung on his back as it contrasted against his dark green robes, his two arms place together in front with long sleeves hanging off. His most notable feature was his long, slanted ears that hung off on both sides of his head proudly, almost like a crown, as his young countenance desperately remained stony. Cordelia, with her high perception, could see his facial muscles, especially around the ends of his mouth, tensing at the attention on him. She snorted.

      The elf did indeed verify the product but that wasn't what caught her attention. She narrowed her eyes at him. Everything about him, from his heartbeat to his eye movement, muscle movement and tensity, lung contraction and expansion and even the smallest twitches in his fingers; it seemed that this man... her eyes travelled over to Mark as well. He was discretely staring at him from the corner of his eyes, a false smile on his face. He noticed it too.

      "Now that we have obtained verification, may we begin?"

A chorus of 'yes' echoed across the crowd, a little more vigorous than previously.

"Now then, we may begin. Bidding starts at 1 platinum!"

Almost instantly, the price rocketed to the three digits as more and more competitors began to drop out. This wasn't the only item after all.

"Going once! Going twice! Sold at 207 platinum coins and 95 gold coins!"

Cordelia didn't react to Mark's thunderous announcement, her eyes trained on the elven man who had sat on one of the reserved front seats. It didn't escape her how he gritted his teeth slightly.

"Victor."

"Yes, Miss?"

"Take the Second Squadron and track the elven man. Report any findings directly back to me and... stop any actions he takes against the Trade Union."

Her chilling aura had settled down on the VIP room, frost beginning to form on the table, glass and magic lamps. The way her Interference Zone expanded and became even denser to the point that she unconsciously performed magic on her surroundings sent shivers up Victor's spine. Such latent power...

"O-of course, General."

She glanced at him reproachfully with her cold, vermillion eyes for his mistake.

"Apologies, Miss." Victor beat a hasty retreat. Cordelia's eyes narrowed sharply at the elf.

      Anyone who dares... they will suffer a fate worse than death.

❈ ❈ ❈

"5 platinum coins."

A new voice rang out in the late stages of an item, causing heads to turn to its direction. It came from above where the VIP boxes were, where only the most influential could enter. Most other competitors tensed and sighed resignedly, not wanting to offend that mystery person as they decided to withdraw.

      Inside that VIP box, Victor glanced questioningly towards his mistress who was resting her head on an arm, her face bored and apathetic. Since that cold outburst, he remained cautious of what he said so he remained silent, but it seemed like the coast was clearing somewhat with her next words.

"I study Ancient Runes in my spare time." She answered his silent curiosity.

"I see, Miss."

He exhaled softly, just quietly enough that she wouldn't notice, or so he thought. Do they always get so afraid of me? Shaking her head in exasperation, she scanned the crowd for her opponents. There were very few left, as her VIP box was one of the highest in the room and had intimidated the majority of them greatly. Unfortunately, there were still a few stragglers left, namely other VIPs who still shouted out prices. 

      Realising that the price was about to be settled due to her idle thoughts, she quickly announced one too.

"10 platinum coins."

"12 platinum coins!"

"15 platinum coins."

"16 platinum coins!"

"30 platinum coins."

Silence.

"Going once! Going twice! Sold for 30 platinum coins!" Cordelia smiled contently at her purchase, too happy to care the slightest about the mortified stare her guard gave her. This time, it was his turn to shake his head in exasperation as he fondly reminisced about the past. The old master would be happy... the Miss and Master are doing well.

      "Miss, would you like to go back to the lobby?" He assumed that she would, instinctively knowing that she had lost all semblance of interest in the auction now that she had bought her item. The only reason why she attended was due to Mark who had invited her personally, and she wouldn't want to disappoint her old teacher.

"No. I'll watch a bit longer."

"Of course, Miss."

Cordelia paused for a moment.

"Victor, have I ever told you that you're a yesman sometimes?" 

"Miss, a servant is a tool for their master. A tool doesn't have an opinion or will. And yes, you have told me too many times to count." The man simply chuckled as he replied to her statement.

"37 times, to be exact. I don't want a yesman." Her tone was almost childish as she pursed her lips in a cute manner. Victor couldn't help but turn his head away to hide his near-indiscernible blush.

"Miss... Sometimes, you just don't know how much we believe in you and the Young Lord. You are the legacies of the Master and Mistress. Not only that, but you have proven yourself over and over again. Perhaps, you can call it faith. And it isn't blind faith either; we simply believe in your abilities, not as puppet servants but as equals. That is a right that both you and the Master have obtained."

For some reason, Victor suddenly felt a burst of courage in his chest, not feeling afraid at all by mentioning the late Master and Mistress of the house. He didn't know why, but he just wanted to scold the girl for her complaint. It was almost like being a parent rebuking their child for a mistake. Luckily, his momentary bravery was rewarded as Cordelia fell into a contemplative state at his words. Unlike usually, she would lash out at the person who mentioned her parents as it was a still sore subject for her but she hadn't shown any signs of a mood swing. With cold sweat running down his back, Victor wondered for the nth time if his mistress was bipolar.

      "Maybe you're right... I'll think about it."

Sighing in relief, Victor suddenly snapped his eyes to his designated observation target who had stood up. Walking with natural grace, the elven man strode out of the auction hall as the last few items were being sold off. Forming complex hand signals, the Second Squadron bolted off in pursuit of him. Cordelia had also noticed the change as her eyes narrowed suspiciously, that ominous light beginning to shimmer within her firey irises again.

❈ ❈ ❈

"Here ya go, Miss."

Mark personally handed her her purchase; it was a pile of ancient, thick tomes with golden edges and plain black covers. At first glance, they seemed not worth 30 platinum coins at all but the knowledge contained inside was something many would die for, especially researchers and mages. 

"Thanks. Invite me again if there's anything worth buying."

He nodded in response before she left the backstage with her items, Victor trailing beside her. That was supposed to be the plan, however, when an explosion sounded out in the depths of the branch building. He drew his sword in alarm, already in a combat stance so that he may protect his mistress from any harm. Behind him, Cordelia's eyes shone with terrible savagery, making Victor's hairs stand on end despite not even facing her.

"What is the status of the Second Squad?"

He replied instantly as if expecting the question.

"Three casualties, the enemy was more numerous and prepared than expected. Those in good condition are engaging in combat right now, but the elves still have numerical superiority. They have a good chance of defeating the intruders but the elves already have escape measures in place; recovery of artefacts and valuables stolen will be difficult."

Victor relayed the information fed to him by telepathy from the captain of the Second Squadron, a technique that was widely used in the Auster military. It was a rare form of magic classified as Unique Magic and was something that Cordelia placed great resources and emphasis on. The boons were obvious as information could be passed up and down the chain of command efficiently, with orders being transmitted and followed swiftly. 

"I see. Tell them to pull back and substitute with the Third Squadron. Place the city on Level 1 alert. And..." Cordelia whispered a few more orders into his ears.

"Level 1 alert only, Miss? But that's..."

She cut in, her tone demanding obedience.

"Do it."

"Affirmative, General."

He dashed away, mana coursing through his legs and spell circles shackled around his ankles, activating Enhancement Magic to strengthen his limbs. 

"Causing trouble in my city, you won't be leaving unscathed..."

The air around her began to warp and shiver from the sheer volume and concentration of mana radiating from her. She had lost all regard for the books in her hands. 

❈ ❈ ❈

38