❈ Chapter 4.2 ❈
791 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

8th of March, the Year 1202
10:03
Auster Manor, Underground Prison

"Arkham."

The man in question turned around to see two other soldiers, their armour shimmering in the light of the wall lights. The corridor they were standing in was part of the underground dungeons where captives and prisoners were held, the overlying arch paved with neat stone blocks. Shadows crept from each crevice and corner, creating an eerie atmosphere.

"Lennon, Takezawa. What is it?"

      Unlike Arkham's rugged facial features, the two in front of him were smaller, younger and more handsome. On the left was Lennon; he was the smallest of the three which fit his profession as an assassin and Scout Division. With rather pale skin, it blended well with his short platinum hair and rather feminine features, a point which Takezawa and Arkham often made fun of. To his side was another young man with obsidian hair and eyes, donning sharp Asian features and taller-than-average height. His medium build complemented the role he played as the commander of the Infantry Division and swordsman. The katana at his side looked strange with his knight armour but Takezawa played it off as a fusion between his favourite points of both cultures.

      "Did you hear about the General's departure?"

"Ah? Yeah, the Young Master told me a few days ago. Protocol 3 was enacted on his orders but other than that, nothing has really changed."

Arkham's words sunk in as they both pondered absentmindedly. Their Young Miss was very secretive, even with her trusted confidantes and other than her handmaiden, Kuro, and the Young Master, no one else knew what she was thinking. As a result, they didn't even know that she was leaving until this morning when they were told by the Young Master, not to mention where she was going and how long she would be gone for.

      "She's going to Cheiss Academy, right?"

"Mhm," Arkham replied to Lennon's inquiry as he flipped over a page of his report. Now that Protocol 3 was in action, their work had intensified substantially since their Young Miss was no longer there to share some of the burdens anymore.

      "What are you three doing here?"

Another voice penetrated through the darkness of the dungeons. It was light and almost robotic, disrupting their conversation. Kuro stepped out in front of them, her face as impassive as ever. Known as the closest confidantes of Cordelia Auster, these four people were the closest companions to her, excluding Walker of course. They watched her grow up and taught the girl everything they knew, with Arkham being the oldest and Kuro being the youngest. He was a brother in all but blood to the late Duke while the other two Division Commanders were excellent seedlings picked out by him. Kuro could be said to be the closest since she was with Cordelia at all times.

      "Kuro. What's up?"

Akham responded to her query with a puzzled face as she sauntered towards them, crossing her arms.

"The Young Master is attending Cheiss Academy as well. Shiro has just informed me."

There was a heavy stillness, after which Lennon broke out in exclamation.

"Huh? Is the Young Master out of his mind? How are we going to manage the Auster House?!"

He was silenced by Kuro for his insult as she beat him down with her fist before stamping on his head repeatedly. If you were to look carefully, you could see a flame of sadistic joy dancing around in her eyes. At this gruesome display, Arkham and Takezawa simply regarded it with nonplussed expressions as if this was a daily occurrence.

"Ow, ow...!"

"Shut up, bug. And calm down. The Young Master obviously has a plan."

Kuro paused in her one-sided assault before turning around and bowing reverently.

"Apologies, Young Master. I have shown you such a disgraceful scene." Her words woke up the commanders as they followed her actions in tandem.

"I really can't hide from you, Kuro."

"Please do not jest, Young Master. You allowed me to detect you."

Like an illusion, Walker's form pieced together right in front of them with his hands behind his bad. A light smile was present on his sculptured face; he had an emerging thick jawline with a finely chiselled nose and refined eyebrows. Adding onto that was Walker's exotic snow hair which was ruffled up slightly, giving him a wild charm which oozed from his very being. The young man was still growing so he had not reached his peak yet but even so, one couldn't deny that he held the aura of a king and ruler. The way his narrow, cerulean eyes swirled made you want to submit to him. 

      Behind him, another figure phased into existence. Being quite handsome by normal standards, the man still lost out when standing next to Walker. Even so, he was not completely overshadowed by the latter's extraordinary presence; much like his sister Kuro, he was the epitome of ice. Every step he took, it felt like the ground froze under him. He was Walker Auster's right-hand, Shiro. Being at the age of 16 like his twin, he was still developing, similar to his liege and donned sleeveless butler outfit, melding harmoniously with his black hair yet clashing with his master’s pearl white robes.

      “Father really was lucky…”

Both Kuro’s and Shiro’s ears pricked at his words, their curiosity brewing within them. They knew from his rueful tone that he was talking about them and the late Duke’s choice to pick them up on that fateful day… that fateful day where their fate was reversed, where their fortune was turned on its head.  

“Enough of that. I trust you will not tell Cordelia, Kuro.”

“Of course, Young Master.”

The servants of the Auster House were commanded to address the two siblings as ‘Young Miss’ and ‘Young Master’ as the two felt it was not their place to take the positions of their parents. They were merely substitutes to two people far greater than themselves; they were not worthy to be called ‘Lord’ and ‘Lady’. Even though many would disagree, they did not dare speak out against the strict orders.

      “Keep it a secret, you all.”

Everyone silent vowed to close their eyes to that cheeky grin their Young Master had shown them. It was a sight that was supposed to be only reserved for the Young Miss but... perhaps he was in a good mood today.

❈ ❈ ❈

I made small changes to Cordelia's status. I removed some redundant skills like Embroidery and Etiquette since I find them pointless and they'll just clutter up the status window. I also added a small change to the amount of mana capacity that she has in chapter 3 after she uses Space-Time Magic. It'll increase slightly, like when you lift weights and gain muscles. Small detail but I just wanted to add it in there.

Have a nice day.

20