❈ Chapter 5.2 ❈
654 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

18th of March, the Year 1202
16:53
Laeon Federation, City of Alexandria

Entry into Alexandria was no joke; the nation of Laeon was very strict in their security measures for all of their settlements, not to mention their own capital city. With the Cheiss Academy hosting entrance exams in Alexandria, the influx of outsiders would obviously increase drastically so the government had to filter out any unsavoury characters as this was the perfect opportunity to sneak inside. Thankfully, the academy also helped as they didn’t want any spies in their institution either, providing magic tools and personnel to aid in the process.

      She was given a badge of the Cheiss Academy to signify her participation in the entrance exam after using the pass given to them by the academy. Cordelia and co. were able to pass through without problem after hours of waiting as there was a huge line of carriages that were in front of them. They varied from the smallest, basic boxes to ostentatious works of art as the academy did not require any tuition fees or such; if you were talented enough, they would cover the costs of the equipment and uniform for you. It was their modus operandi to nurture talents, regardless of status and wealth, and it was a smart way of gaining support too. In the future, these poor students who become powerful will remember this and have gratitude towards the academy, so they will support it any time it calls.

      They could afford to do this as the Cheiss Academy was supported by a myriad of nations, investors and groups who wanted their younglings to pass through the academy to gain not only prestige but receive a good education. It was a renowned facility for education and had a history of pumping out alumni who were now famous across the lands for their strength.

      Cordelia was quite intrigued by the architecture of Alexandria. Being a mineral-rich nation, Laeon did not skimp on costs to defend their country but as a result, other areas were abandoned in favour of the defence budget. However, recently, the new President started to focus on small things like agriculture and technology. Still, the buildings in Alexandria were quite rudimentary for a capital city of such a powerful country. It was like a crude Bauhaus style with dull dark colours that made the mood sombre. Even so, she could tell that they had excellent structural integrity with high-quality building materials. 

      “Miss, we’ve arrived at our accommodation.”

Looking languidly at Kuro, Cordelia nodded as they stepped down from the carriage with the help of a knight. Kuro motioned towards one of the house’s mages and he nodded back before taking out a black cube lined with archaic symbols and runes. Chanting under his breath, he raised the cube in front of him before the carriage was sucked into it, leaving nothing behind. 

      It was one of many magic tools invented by Enchanters, a profession that required expertise in Runecraft, one of the hardest, if not the hardest branch of magic to learn. As such, they were respected in all continents as their gadgets and tools were extremely useful to not only everyday life but specific situations. Some could even save your life. 

      Auster employed many Enchanters because of the plethora of ancient tomes and books hidden within the Auster Archives containing antique knowledge of runes. Cordelia herself studied runes closely, having obtained the expertise of an average Runemaster already. She didn’t know if she wanted to branch into a Rune Mage or an Enchanter yet but found it very useful in enhancing her spells.

      This was due to the nature of modern spells; they focused on the construction of spell circles which contained runes. Even if you didn’t study runes, the System aided in spell construction, automatically adding in runes. However, if you could alter and change these runes manually, you could enhance all of your spells significantly; this was the selling point of Runecraft, though it was hard to learn and teachers were scarce.

      The other escort soldiers dismounted their horses, leading them to a nearby stable while Cordelia, Kuro and a few soldiers entered a large 3-storey inn to sort out accommodation.

       It was called ‘Howard’s Home’ and sported a very minimalist interior; the walls were painted one shade of a dark red and the furniture was unimpressive when considering the appearance. Even the uniforms of the employees were boorish but it didn’t detract from Cordelia’s appreciation. At first glance, everything was poorly made and considered but if you looked again, you would notice that good materials were used and the positioning of all areas was carefully thought out; the bottom floor was a small restaurant with evenly spaced tables that allowed for easy traversal for waiters and the seats were, while dull-looking, comfortable to sit in. Tables were riveted to the floor and the reception was right at the back middle, in the vision of all visitors. 

      Like the Auster territories, Laeon suffered from frequent monster attacks and as such, they introduced mandatory military service. Cordelia could see parallels between it and her own cities already and she hummed in admiration. Even the innkeeper was tall and toned, with a seemingly relaxed stance but was actually constantly on guard for any attackers. His vigilance was raised during this period of extra visitors.

“Innkeeper, we’d like enough rooms for 20 people, please. Quality does not matter.”

Kuro called out to the innkeeper, already fishing a pouch of money from her pocket.

      Gregory looked up from his task of cleaning the glasses, his gaze passing over the badge pinned on one of the girl’s cardigan. He also took notice of the three soldiers behind the two girls, their posture intimidating and professional, and the maid who had just called out to him. He could tell her temperament and skill and could say without a doubt that she was qualified to enter the Cheiss Academy. For all of these people to serve one girl… who is she? Attempting to read into the examinee’s strength, Gregory was slightly incredulous at finding nothing. As if she was as weak as a fly. He couldn’t sense a single thing from the girl. 

      “20 people? Okay, you can have the rooms 315, 316, 317, 318 and 319. They’re all rooms for 4 people each if that’s okay with you?”

“Yes. Thank you very much, innkeeper.”

Thanking him, Kuro paid the fee and the group moved to one of the tables, ordering some hot food after they had been travelling and camping for days. Kuro also managed to save some tables for the remaining soldiers who were too arrive and ordered food for them. 

      Swallowing the soup, Cordelia savoured the taste and satiety just in case the exams would deprive her of food and water. She wanted to make sure that her stomach was full when they arrived and decided to splurge these next few days. 

      “There aren’t enough rooms?!”

Wincing at the banshee-like voice, the group paused to look at the reception where a young girl, near the age of Cordelia, screamed at the innkeeper furiously. She was surrounded by an entourage of imposing guards, threatening Gregory by placing their hands on the swords at their waists. He displayed a resigned look before directing them to Cordelia’s group.

“The last few rooms were taken by that young miss and her group over there, so I only have 1 room left for 4 people…”

He raised his hands in surrender, trying to defuse the situation.

“Miss. His eye has been on you ever since that girl started complaining.”

Kuro whispered into her mistress’ ear while coldly glancing at Gregory. 

“Hm. Just let it play out.”

“Affirmative.”

14