❈ Chapter 7.1 ❈
581 6 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

21st of March, the Year 1202
18:59
Unknown, Cheiss Academy

❈ 

Student autonomy in the Cheiss Academy was prevalent. Implemented to encourage independence and self-reliance, this system also trained students for their future responsibilities. As soon as they graduated, they would most likely be snatched up by their home countries and for those outliers, intense fights between powers would be fought to acquire them. This was the extent of Cheiss Academy’s reputation as an institution which spat out young, high-level exponents left and right every year. If a student was not up to par, they would stay in the academy until they did, even lasting up to a decade on rare occasions.

      “President, here are the papers you wanted.”

And this system of student autonomy culminated in the creation of the Student Council, a collection of students who held unrivalled power and prestige across the academy. They had equal standings with not just instructors but also Heads of Department, second only to the Headmaster. At the apex of the Student Council was the Student President, a genius who stood out from the rest since day one. He entered the Cheiss Academy as a supposedly naive boy with a tiny background and would leave it as a figure sought out by many powers. 

      Now in his Second Year, he still had several more to go but that only spoke volumes about his ability. His commanding aura silenced even seniors who should have an advantage to him but fell to their knees instead. Vincent Kairon was a like a storm which shook up the entire academy, taking the presidential seat from his seniors just as a second year. Garnering shock, awe, animosity and curiosity with his dominating attitude, it was as if he was unstoppable. But for those who knew him personally, namely, the Student Council members, Vincent was quite different…

      “Ah, thanks.”

Yawning, Vincent lazily took the papers, not even bothering to read them even though he had requested for them. Her eyebrows twitching, Shelley restrained her temper. I had gone through so much hassle to get those printed out in time, yet this boy just brushes my efforts off like its nothing. In her moment of anger, she suddenly cooled down with her back hunched. I was the one who decided to follow him after all.

      In addition to being powerful, Vincent, in his serious mode at least, had a frighteningly high charisma which compelled you to follow him. His fearless smile was imprinted in all of the Student Council’s hearts. Even when he returned to his lame personality, it did not dampen the image at all. Vincent’s followers were loyal and they had all met in his 1st year with their ages varied only slightly, the oldest being in the 3rd year.

      “So, we’re gonna meet the teachers about the entrance exam and that?”

“That’s right, President. I’ve told you 4 times already.”

“Mm, my bad.”

His apology had no sincerity at all.

“Haah~, you’re so serious and uptight, Shells.”

A tick mark appeared on said person’s forehead, fists clenched at her sides.

“Don’t call me that. We need to take this meeting seriously since this is your first official appearance as the Student Council President in front of the teachers. If you don’t draw the line here, the instructors won’t respect you and you’ll face resistance.”

“Hai, hai, I know that.”

      Shelley had no idea why, but her president had the habit of using Nihongo words at times, saying nonsense like “kouhai” and “kawaii”. It only ever happened in his carefree appearance so it wasn’t much trouble but it puzzled her sometimes.

      The moment they stood in front of the door to the conference room, Vincent underwent a complete change. From playfully fiddling with his aiguillette, the air around him turned still and he wiped away any traces of cheerfulness. Knocking the door with tactile taps, his voice came through the door muffled.

“It’s the Student President and Vice President, Vincent Kairon and Shelley Darkbrand. May we come in, instructors and Headmaster?”

“Come in, Mister Kairon, Miss Darkbrand.”

Granted access, the President and Vice President entered under the scrutiny of the upper staff team of Cheiss Academy. Shelley’s arm hairs bristled at the very sensation as all of them were extremely powerful, most of them jaded veterans in the Demon War alongside the Headmaster himself. She looked to her side and saw Vincent plaster a polite smile on his face, keeping decorum and completely unshaken by the atmosphere of the room. It’s a test by the staff yet he passed it so easily. As always, he is amazing… I am proud to call you my King.

      “He’s a good one.”

The Department Head of Magecraft remarked to his partner next to him while crinkling the edges of his eyes in appreciation. The difference between Magecraft and Magic was that the former was the extensive use of magic in several forms while Magic usually included the combination of other skills like swordsmanship or craftsmanship. 

      His partner, the Department Head of Liberal Arts, pushed up his pair of glasses and pursed his lips. Despite all of them being hundreds, if not thousands of years old, they were all relatively young-looking. Magic was the energy of the universe and could theoretically do anything, including retaining your youth and stop ageing. It was a rather easy thing to do; for example, you could reduce or outright cease the degradation of telomeres and accelerate cell mitosis in your body. Scientists, both magic or non-magic in nature, had solved this problem centuries ago, though this option was limited to those with abnormal levels of mana control. 

      However, the monsters of the Cheiss Academy were thousands of years old so how could they have gotten their hands on this method before wasting away? After all, it could only stop ageing and not reverse it. Simple. It was just that their sheer power was so great that their youth was maintained over time, causing an effect similar to the preservation of telomeres.

      “He’s still too green.”

Snorting, the Department Head of Liberal Arts turned his head away. Seeing his friend’s cynical nature, Lyon, the Department Head of Magecraft, nudged him with his elbow.

“Hey, your standards are too high. Each generation is surpassing the previous one and this lad is no different.”

They could both see it… the naivety within his bones. But Lyon didn’t degrade him for that since it was natural to be inexperienced at only 14 years old. 

❈ ❈ ❈ 

How'd you like the new picture? I'm not particularly computer savvy nor did I have some amazing editing software but ig I tried my best.

      Anyways, have a nice day.

15