Chapter 59: Escalation(2)
60 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– O5 Council Meeting Room, Location: [REDACTED] - 10:00 PM –

All the members of the O-5 Council, including Emma, were present in the chamber. Their focus was drawn to the gigantic screen mounted on the wall, displaying footage of paramount importance.

The footage captured one of the many SCP-001 Proposals, "The Gate Guardian," stationed by the enormous heavenly gate. Yet, a curious development unfolded as the entity ventured within the gate for some unknown reason, something that had never happened before since they first discovered it.

As the video progressed, it showed a Mobile Task Force unit approaching the gate for investigation, only to meet with the Gate Guardian as it emerged out and unleashed its wrath with its fiery sword, erasing the MTF team from existence.

The recording continued as usual, until it showed a tiny little entity emerging from the gate, its stature so minuscule that it defied easy detection. Despite the camera's attempt to zoom in so close that they could see a mouse from miles away, the entity somehow was able to blur itself from the video. However, amidst the visual distortion, the council was still able to notice several details.

It was humanoid, and seemed to hop around without stopping.

"Is this the unknown entity discovered at the site?" asked O5-1, seeking clarification.

"Indeed, sir," affirmed the respondent.

The footage persisted, showing the tiny humanoid fixating its gaze upon the guardian, and doing something in what appeared to be a gesture akin to waving on the colossal angel. And much to their astonishment, the guardian reciprocates the gesture, waving back in response.

"This is utterly bizarre," murmured O5-5, expressing the collective bewilderment.

"Believe me, the day Rodeo transformed into a child was bizarre for everyone," Emma interjected, her voice laced with reminiscence, "Any further insights?"

Regrettably, O5-8 shook its head, "None, I'm afraid."

"Then, what transpired following its appearance?" asked another council member.

"According to the drone feed," O5-8 elucidated, "the entity moved kilometers away from SCP-001's vicinity, facilitating the mobilization of an MTF team to intercept and contain it."

"And then?" pressed the council.

O5-8 directed their attention to the screen, where footage depicted the tiny humanoid surrounded by a team of ten MTF operatives, attempting to apprehend it. However, before any action could be taken, the creature emitted an ear-piercing scream, sounding like "YEEE" so loudly that it damaged the MTF soldiers' eardrums with its intensity and forced the drone to mute the audio feed.

In the next moment, the tiny humanoid erupted, unleashing a cataclysmic explosion that engulfed a kilometer-wide area, annihilating the containment team entirely. Fortunately, the drone maintained a safe distance, escaping unscathed from the devastating blast.

A palpable silence descended upon the council chamber, not born from fear, but from profound perplexity, as they grappled with the inexplicable events before them... actually all of the anomalies were perplexing to begin with.

"What object class have you assigned to this anomaly?" queried another O5 member, breaking the silence.

"We're not sure about it yet," responded O5-8.

Acknowledging the uncertainty, the council members nodded in agreement. Emma, situated among them, steered the conversation towards another pressing matter.

"Now, concerning the incident that happened at Site-19, occuring at 8:00 AM," she began. "An SCP-9000-1 instance, assuming the form of the Stand Chilli Pepper, nearly killed Rodeo and escaped, issuing a foreboding message of an impending conflict. The morale among the staff decreased that day, instilling a sense of apprehension about the future. So Rodeo suggested that we should bring all the Stands under Foundation custody to Site-19."

O5-1 promptly agreed, "You're right, O5-13. After finding out from Site-06-3 that they lost the Arrow to two Stands and a Stand user, who might be working for our enemies leaves us little much of a choice. Emma, you are hereby vested with full authority to call the Stands to Site-19 and make sure that they meet up with Rodeo."

"Yes sir."

"Alright, this meeting is over everyone. You are all dismissed."

Following his declaration, the council members vacated the chamber, leaving only O5-1 behind, lingering in contemplative silence for a brief interval before he opened his mouth.

"You may reveal yourself now, Dr. Numita."

From the corner of the room came a man, likely in his fifth or sixth decade, attired in a crimson two-piece suit tailored in the fashion of a gentleman. His graying hair was pulled back into a restrained ponytail, and his eyes pierced through the illuminating glasses he wore.

This was Dr. Numita Buck.

"O5-1, you're wasting your time trusting SCP-9000." he said with conviction.

"May I remind you, Dr. Numita, that while you are acquainted with the Council, you are not a member. Your decisions and actions will not be accepted by any of us. And the only reason I tolerate your presences is due to our friendship. But the way you handle research in the Foundation, while acceptable, is marred by stubbornness and anger, which could prove detrimental."

"But it has brought me success thus far."

"Numita, it's a path that will lead to your downfall eventually."

"And placing trust in these humanoid entities may lead to the undoing of everything the Foundation has done up till now." Numita countered.

"That 'boy' saved your daughter, and he harbors no malicious intent toward us unless possibly provoked. So believe me when I say that I trust him, and I'm not mistaken in doing so."

"So what if he saved my disappointment of a daughter. That doesn't change the fact that he is an entity that can bend time and reality, especially with another SCP-9000-1 instance who calls himself "The World." You are taking a dangerous risk!" The man named Numita shouted, hos voice trembled with anger.

"...It's a risk I'm willing to take for the sake of humanity."

With a scoff, Numita turns to leave, but before he leaves, O5-1 addresses him.

"I really do wish you would make amends with your daughter."

Ignoring his words, Numita strides out of the room, leaving O5-1 alone.

———————————————————————

– Somewhere in America - 10:55 PM –

In an urban park not far from Amelia's apartment, she strolled normally around and enjoyed the night breeze offering a welcome reprieve. Despite the warmth atmosphere of the evening air, her thoughts were consumed by the day's events, particularly the harrowing moment when Rodeo nearly died.

All of a sudden, her thoughts are disrupted when she bumps into someone by mistake, jolting her back to reality.

"Apologies, I didn't see you there," she quickly offered.

"No problem, ma'am. We all make mistakes. Name's Jack Barton by the way," the man introduced himself, extending his hand in a gesture of goodwill.

Amelia hesitated for a moment before accepting the handshake, reciprocating, "Dr. Amelia Buck. It's nice meeting you, Mr. Barton."

As their hands parted, Jack suggested, "Care to stroll and chat through the park? If you'd like, of course." he said in a polite manner.

Amelia was about to refuse him, but the memory of Rodeo's earlier advice in the forest flashed in her mind. Perhaps she needed to heed his words, to break free from her own reservations and just maybe she could train herself to be more socialize to new people  even if they were strangers.

"Sure, why not?" Amelia replied with a nod, and so the two began to walk side by side.

"So, do you work in a hospital?" Jack asked.

"Yes, I do," she responded with a lie, fabricating her answer.

"Must be demanding work, handling patients and performing dangerous operations," Jack remarked.

"It can be stressful at times, but I manage," she replied. "And what about you?"

"I have a job involving driving a truck, shipping goods to different states. It pays well, and I find enjoyment in it," Jack explained.

"Enjoyment?" Amelia asked, intrigued.

The redneck nodded, his expression softening as he reminisced, "Yeah, I like the fact that whenever I drive from state to state, it feels like an adventure. There's something about feeling the wind hitting against your face when you open the window, seeing new faces, witnessing new things and visiting amazing sights. It's invigorating. It's what makes me feel truly alive. It brings me happiness."

"That's... quite the unique way of seeing things." Amelia remarked, intrigued by his outlook.

"Yeah, but sometimes even the best journeys come to an end," Jack continued somberly.

Curious, Amelia prompted, "How so?"

"Everything was going smoothly. My family was happy until my wife fell ill. I did everything I could with my job to afford her treatment, but it wasn't enough. Even my son had to take side jobs to help. We're both desperate not to lose her," Jack confessed, his voice heavy with emotion.

Meeting his gaze, Amelia listened intently as her expression filled with sympathy. Jack averted his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose in frustration before letting out a sigh.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to burden you with all that," he apologized.

"It's okay," Amelia reassured him sympathetically, offering a comforting smile.

"Dr. Buck, time is something not many people have in this world. If you can't use that time to do something for them, then you're wasting it. My son and I are doing everything in our power to use that time that I have given to help my wife recover before anything worse happens."

Amelia thought of something. Was she wasting time by withholding the truth? If she continued down this path, the situation could worsen irreparably for everyone the more time passes and she will be responsible for it. She didn't want that to happen. 

"You okay?" Jack observed, breaking through her thoughts.

Amelia forced a smile, though her worry was palpable. "I'm fine," she replied unconvincingly.

"You seem worried about something." Jack said, his tone gentle.

"...I haven't been truthful to my friends lately, and I'm uncertain of what to do." Amelia admitted, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Is it true that you fear that they might not be able to handle it and might see you differently once they know?" Jack inquired empathetically.

"Yeah, that type of truth."

"Dr. Buck, the truth will always hurt someone, but withholding it can lead to even greater repercussions and they just might see you differently either way. You need to be honest with them, that's all. And who knows, even after you tell them, they might accept you either way." Jack advised earnestly.

"You really think so?"

"Don't think, Dr. Buck. Just do. If you're ready to take a leap of faith then it's up to you to do it. I'm just giving advice."

Amelia pondered his words. I mean she has been hiding the truth for far too long and she knew time was being wasted by doing it. She needed to take a leap of faith. With the Stands, arrows, and the looming threat of new groups involved, she couldn't afford to delay any longer. It was time to take that leap 

With resolve coursing through her, Amelia reached for her phone and dialed a number. After a moment, a tired voice answered.

[*Yawn* Hello?]

"Green, it's time I told you the truth. But not now. Tomorrow." Amelia declared.

[Okay then. Where do you want us to meet?]

"I'll give you the location tomorrow. Good night." She bid farewell.

[Good night, Amelia.]

As the call ended, Amelia felt a weight lifted from her shoulders. Tomorrow would bring revelations, but for now, she could rest knowing that she had taken the first step toward honesty.

"So you're ready to take the leap?" Jack asked, a hint of encouragement in his voice.

"Yes, you're right. I should be honest with myself. No more secrets. Only the truth. Thank you for your guidance, Mr. Barton," Amelia affirmed with newfound determination.

"Don't mention it. Like I said, I was just giving some advice," Jack replied modestly.

"I think it's getting late. But it was nice meeting you, Mr. Barton. I truly hope your wife makes a swift recovery," Amelia said sincerely.

"It was nice meeting you too. And I hope your friends will understand when you're honest with them," Jack responded, tipping his cowboy hat in farewell.

Amelia nodded gratefully before turning to leave. As she walked away, Jack remained silent, his gaze following her until she disappeared from sight. Eventually, his phone began to ring, and he answered it.

"Hello?"

[So she's taking the leap?

"Yes, she is. Tell Alvin tuh do his job 'n find out whayer she'll bay goin'," Jack spoke with a sudden southern american accent, "Aah'm done with mah part."

[You have done well, mon ami. I'll meet you at the warehouse tomorrow. Have a good night. Seems like in psychological warfare , we are victorious.]

As the call ended, Ride Me to Hell manifested behind Jack, who affectionately patted the Stand on the head.

"Tomorrow's 'unna bay uh long day fo-wah we'uns, boy," Jack murmured, retrieving a photograph from his pocket. The image depicted himself, his wife, and their son.

"Don't worry, Martha. Aah'll git the money, 'n y'all be en healthy shape en no time," he vowed quietly.

4