Chapter 64: Strike First
37 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

– Urban Park, Somewhere in America - 11:30 AM – 

The first thing shows Green carefully parked the car along the sidewalk, and he and Amelia alighted gracefully. Meanwhile, beneath the vehicle, Miguel and Rodeo peeked their heads from underneath the car and observed the duo as they strolled into the park.

"Miguel, you go through the shadows. I'll go over the fence," Rodeo instructed.

Miguel nods and disappears into the shadows. Rodeo emerged deliberately from beneath the car and effortlessly vaulted over the metal barrier. He trailed Amelia and Green, blending seamlessly into the bushes and trees while Miguel transversed from shadow to shadow, tailing the pair.

As they neared, undetected thus far, Miguel and Rodeo paused, observing as Amelia and Green settled onto a nearby bench. They chose to bide their time, listening intently.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?" Green initiated.

"It certainly is," Amelia concurred.

Emerging from Rodeo's shadow, Miguel asked him, "So, when do you think they'll strike?"

"Well, there's not many people roaming around tonight and those two being the only ones here, which make it the perfect time for the enemy to strike." Rodeo reasoned.

"True," Miguel acknowledged.

The two continued to eavesdrop on their conversation, patiently waiting for any sign of the enemy.

"Okay, Amelia. So what is it you want to talk about?" Green inquired.

"Green, once I tell you, will you still see me the same way as before?" Amelia questioned with a hint of uncertainty.

"Listen, Amelia, I'm here to listen. And no matter what, you'll always be the same person in my eyes," Green reassured her.

Amelia released a heavy sigh. "Do you know why I often seemed distant at the foundation, Agent Green?"

"Um, because you took your job seriously?" Green ventured.

"No, it's because of-"

"Well, ain't that a surprise?" 

Their exchange was abruptly interrupted by a newcomer's voice, drawing their attention. Both turned to see a man approaching, 

"Mr. Barton?"

"Do you know him?" Green asked, puzzled.

"Yes, we met yesterday. And don't worry, he doesn't know where we actually work," Amelia whispered to Green in a hushed tone.

"Well, that's a relief."

"Dr. Buck, a pleasure to see you here," Jack greeted the blonde before turning to Green. "And you are?"

"I'm Thomas Green. I guess my friend here knows you?" Green replied, curious.

"Yes, we had a pleasant chat yesterday evening in another park. And don't get any ideas; I'm a married man. Unless you're feeling jealous?" Jack jokingly said.

"I'm not jealous, Mr. Barton," Green replied with a hint of amusement.

Jack chuckled softly, "It's just that seeing you two together on a park bench reminds me of the romantic chats I used to have with my wife."

"Could we please change the subject?" Amelia interjected, her cheeks tinged with a light blush.

Meanwhile, Miguel and Rodeo observed the newcomer, sensing something peculiar about the newcomer... something related to Stands.

"Do you feel that?" Rodeo whispered.

"Yes, amigo, he might be a Stand user."

"If he's here, then no doubt he brought back up with him. Let's wait and observe for now," Rodeo suggested, and they continued to monitor the conversation.

"Come on, Dr. Buck. I'm just chatting like a normal human being," Jack insisted.

"I'm asking you to change the topic," Amelia persisted.

"Feeling shy?" Jack teased.

"No, I'm perfectly fine," Amelia retorted.

Jack chuckled a bit when suddenly, his demeanor shifted as he turned to face them with a serious and menacing gaze, which Amelia and Green noticed the look he was giving them.

"Is something wrong?" Green inquired, sensing the tension.

"Green, leave," Jack ordered indifferently.

"Mr. Barton, what's going on?" Amelia pressed, concern etched in her voice.

Suddenly, the two felt the temperature of the atmosphere suddenly increased, causing both Amelia and Green to tense. Their eyes widened as they noticed four scorched hooves imprinted on the ground beside Jack. They both immediately stood up and looked at him as a look of realization dawned on them both.

"You're the user of 'Ride Me to Hell,' aren't you?" Amelia muttered, surprised by this revelation.

"Tell your friend to leave, Buck. It's for his own safety," Jack advised in a serious tone.

"Like hell I'm leaving her behind," Green retorted, pulling out a Glock pistol from his pocket and aiming it at Jack.

"You carry that everywhere, don't you?" Jack asked, raising an eyebrow.

"For my own safety? Yes, I do, I thought you rednecks already knew." Green replied sharply.

Jack simply shrugged, "I've met too many folks from other states without guns, though."

As tension mounted between them, Amelia's gaze flicked to her right, where she spotted a glass bottle beside a lamppost, reflecting her image. Something about its presence felt off, though she couldn't quite place it.

Turning back to Jack, she demanded, "You're targeting me, aren't you? Then tell me who you're working for and why they've sent you after me."

"Buck, I don't have time for this. I don't want to see either of you or your friend get harmed. So I suggest you to follow me quietly, and tell your friend here to leave," Jack urged while giving a pleading look.

Amelia exchanged a glance with Green, uncertainty clouding their minds while contemplating their next move, when suddenly, a figure emerged from on top of one of the lampposts. To their surprise, it was Alvin Parsh, the one who has become Red Hot Chilli Pepper. 

"You!?" Amelia exclaimed, her voice laced with anger.

"Yup, it is I!" 

Amelia and Green's expressions hardened with anger and hate, remembering Alvin's actions against Rodeo the previous day.

"So, you were after me as well?!" Amelia accused.

"Well, I'm not the only one actually," Alvin admitted cryptically.

The duo heard approaching footsteps from their left and turned to see a man adorned in a silver bird mask, its light blue eyes glowing eerily, accompanied by a long wavering hair. He sported a top hat and clawed hands, dressed in a refined British-style suit. This was Albert Winchester, enveloped in his Suit Stand, Faded.

"Such a lovely evening, wouldn't you agree, Dr. Buck? It's beautiful, calm... and utterly silent. Which means no one will hear your cries for help," Albert remarked with a sinister tone.

"What are you?" Green demanded, instinctively shielding Amelia behind him.

"Oh, this? Well, this suit, hat, mask, and gloves, which you might mistake for clawed hands, are part of my Stand, Faded, which I'm currently wearing right now. Are you blind or something?" Albert retorted.

"Only Stand users can see a Stand. Why is yours visible to us?" Amelia inquired.

"Interestingly enough, my Stand is one of the rare few visible to non-Stand users. Simple as that," Albert explained casually.

As the conversation unfolded, footsteps approached from the right, and Amelia and Green turned to see a young man with light orange hair styled into a Mohawk. He had aqua blue eyes and a slightly muscular build, appearing Jamaican. Dressed in a blue tank top, dark gray jeans, and a gray leather jacket over the tank top, he wore yellow Nike shoes.

"What's up?" The young African male greeted as he tilted his head upwards.

Suddenly, a cloud of smoke materialized behind Jack, revealing the Spy, the one who has become Silver Chariot, armed with his rapier sword, butterfly knife, Sappers, Disguise kit, invisibility watch, the Dead Ringer, and his primary weapon, a revolver known as the Ambassador in his disposal.

"Surprise," Silver Chariot announced.

"So, you're the Frenchman?" Green inquired.

"And I'm guessing you figured that out from my accent, Agent Green from the SCP Foundation," Silver Chariot replied.

"You know about me?" Green asked, surprised.

"I know that Dr. Buck and you work for the same organization. So, someone like you is likely just a soldier in their ranks. That's enough for me to identify you. Your past life, I don't know much about. But I'll say one thing," Silver Chariot stated, pointing the Ambassador at Green's face. "Walk away and let us take Dr. Buck with us."

In response, Green aimed his Glock pistol at Silver Chariot and cocked it, eliciting a sigh from the latter.

"Bon chagrin," 

As he spoke, the glass bottle next to the lamppost revealed a humanoid figure in its reflection, observing Green and Amelia, which they hadn't noticed yet.

This was The Hanged Man.

Hanged Man

In the middle of the tense standoff, a jar suddenly fell next to Jack's feet, eliciting surprise from everyone present.

"What the hell?" 

"Yimada!"

Click!

A clicking sound emanated from the jar, followed by an explosion that engulfed the area in a cloud of dust. Coughs erupted from everyone except for The Hanged Man, who remained unaffected.

"Cough! Damn it—cough!" Jack cursed, struggling to breathe amidst the haze.

In the middle of the chaos, Rodeo and Miguel swiftly entered the dust cloud, making their way to Green and Amelia, who were coughing heavily.

""Rodeo—cough! What are you doing here?! Cough!" Amelia asked, surprised.

"No time to explain. We're getting out of here," Rodeo replied urgently.

Both Green and Amelia nodded, and as they prepared to leave, Green's eyes caught a reflection in the glass bottle next to the lamppost: the Hanged Man, glaring menacingly at someone. Following its gaze, Green noticed its targeting Rodeo, and he instantly recognized the imminent threat as he turned to see a wrist blade extending from the Hanged Man's arm, ready to strike.

Reacting swiftly, Green shoved Rodeo out of harm's way just as The Hanged Man unleashed a barrage of slashes. Instead of striking Rodeo, the slashes landed on Green's back with vicious force, causing him to collapse face-first onto the ground with blood seeping from eight fresh wounds that mark his fall.

"Green!" Amelia cried out in horror.

Rodeo quickly regained his footing, joining Miguel and Amelia rallied to Green's aid, helping him to his feet before fleeing from their assailant.

"Damn it," the Hanged Man muttered under his breath. At the speed of light, he swiftly leaped into the glass of a lamppost and emerged from another, disappearing into another one and giving chase to the group of four.

Meanwhile with the four, they were heading towards the car when suddenly, a beam of light streaked past them and penetrated the car's window where The Hanged Man materialized on the glass. Before he could launch another attack, Miguel swiftly conjured a shadow shield from Rodeo's shadow to intercept the slashes aimed at them.

"Miguel, forget the car. We're moving to the right," Rodeo commanded.

Without hesitation, the group veered to the right, evading The Hanged Man's assault. Rodeo and Miguel were keenly aware of the Hanged Man's limitations, understanding that he could only move in a linear manner through reflective surfaces, so they avoided making eye contact with him and made sure that they stayed out of his sight and reach.

Thankfully, they were now out of his range and sight, allowing them to dash down the alleyway to safety. Meanwhile, the Hanged Man, frustrated by their escape, spotted a pigeon flying in the sky, which he immediately transformed into a beam of light and entered its eyes to gain a better vantage point of the city. Despite his efforts, he couldn't spot them, and begrudgingly conceded defeat.

"Great," he muttered in frustration, realizing that he had lost them.

After the dust settled, the Spy and his companions could finally see their surroundings, however they also realized their enemies had slipped away along with their target.

"He was here! He knew that we would attack!" Alvin shouted in anger and frustration.

"The young man proved to be more cunning than I gave him credit for," Spy acknowledged with a nod of admiration. "Alright, everyone, spread out. Utilize your abilities and Stands to track them down. The night is still young, let's not waste it. And I'm pretty sure Mirror Boy has already begun to chase them."

With unanimous agreement, the Stand Mercenaries dispersed, each determined to track down their targets.

"They know we will hunt them down. So no doubt they're hiding for now and their friend Green is injured. They won't be leaving this city anytime soon," Spy mused to himself before cloaking himself in invisibility and slipping away from the park.

4