Prologue
1.7k 2 43
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I had always been sickly. For as long as I can remember, I spent most of my time in a hospital room until my doctor delivered the grim news when I turned sixteen. I had no friends, never played outside, never had boyfriends, and now, I had only a few months left to live; the cancer had become too advanced for medical technology to control.

"Please, Sana, stay strong no matter what," my parents implored. "We will always be here for you."

"Why should I stay strong? I only have a few months left, anyway..." My harsh response silenced them, and they left the hospital with downcast expressions. Alone in my room, I quickly grabbed my smartphone and began searching for web novels. Tears streamed down my face as I stared blankly at the screen. I wouldn't live to see the ending of these novels anyway. Why should I bother?

As I gazed out from my hospital bed, I closed my eyes while the setting sun cast its warm glow upon me. I longed to apologize for being such a burden to my family, to my friends for abandoning our school projects and exams we had worked so hard on, and to my brother and sister. Most of all, I wanted to apologize to my parents for the enormous cost of my medical care.

"Mom, I'm sorry for everything I've put you through," I whispered to no one in particular. "I'm sorry for being such a useless daughter, and I'll never be able to repay you for all you've done. All I've done is lie in this hospital bed. I wish I could go to school and see everyone one last time. At the very least, please consider donating my organs so that I can help someone. Thank you."

As I finished typing, my vision grew dim, and the world around me began to spin. A trickle of liquid grazed my cheeks, and my vision turned red as my heart sank. An unreal sensation washed over me, a mix of passion, excitement, grief, and despair.

A crimson streak of light passed me by like a comet in the dark sky. Though there was nothing to see, I felt as though I was being watched. I spun around, but no one was there. A red liquid poured out in front of me, forming a puddle that continued to grow until it reached me. Hands emerged from the pool, pulling me down.

I screamed.

"AAHHH!!!" I woke up in a bed, screaming. Glancing around, I realized I was in an unfamiliar room, far removed from the 21st-century hospital I knew.

"Ah! She's finally awake," a girl in a French maid uniform said as she opened the door in response to my scream. She was accompanied by several other men and women. The man among them seemed oddly familiar, though I was certain I had never met him before in my entire life.

"So, how is she?" he inquired.

"She's fine, just a little scratched up. I was surprised she survived that monster's attack," the doctor replied with a smile.

"Could it be... this is the reincarnation thing I read about in popular web novels?" I wondered. My heart raced at the possibility of reincarnation. I looked at my hands; they were small, but when I grasped them, there was no pain or sluggishness. I was healthy!

I felt confident that I could fulfill my dreams of making friends and being cared for like a proper child with a loving family. I could play outside like a normal kid. I could have a sleepover with friends, I could attend birthday parties! The possibilities were endless.

"Thank the Goddess. Our Elidranthia is safe," he said, proceeding to hug me.

Wait, what did he say? Elidranthia? Wasn't that the name of a villain in a recently read novel that was on hiatus? The name was so unique that it immediately raised my suspicions. Could this not be a typical isekai story, but the one where I was reincarnated as some random villain?

Little did I know that achieving my wish for a loving family and leading a normal, happy life outdoors was easier said than done. After all, I had been reincarnated as a bloodthirsty villainess from a book, "The Assassinated Princess: Returning Back in Time to Live a Happy Life"

43