IC God Games – Chapter 31: Spilt Milk
224 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During the time when Breston was a wealthy mining colony- earthquakes were something of a common thing. As the island was being hollowed out by the mining- weak stone would occasionally give in to collapse that would send a vibration through the island. The earthquakes were weak and most couldn't tell when they were happening. But a man known as Mastiff had a silky smooth long beard that shakes with the slightest vibration. He would know when the quakes were happening- and thus he was nicknamed Mastiff the Quaking Beard. Finding the name fitting, Mastiff opened up one of the first taverns in Breston and named it The Quaking Beard.

It is in this tavern that three individuals sit at a corner table with a lounging cat.

“Damn- that's such shit luck. I’m surprised Lion's Maw chased you for three weeks straight.” Carrion says. “And then what happened?”

Daveed takes a sip of his drink- his tongue is a bit looser than before. He still takes glances at the cat, but much less so.

“Well, he destroyed our masts with a spinning artifact, killed nearly half the crew, and then gutted [Captain] Menston.”

A [Maid] with a bowl of milk arrives with a smile on her face. “Your order- warm milk.” She says happily. She places the bowl down in front of the cat and even gives it a nice pet. Daveed freezes at the physical display- and then relaxes when the cat purrs from the touch.

“Is there anything else?” The [Maid] asks.

“No, that's all. Thank you.” Daveed answers. His anxiety recedes further as the cat begins licking the milk.

“Call if you need anything else.” The [Maid] says and walks away.

“What's with the cat?” Emma asks. “You look scared of it.”

“Screw the cat,” Carrian interrupts. “Continue the story. What happened next?”

Daveed clears his throat. “That’s the thing. As soon as the [Captain] died, the Lion’s Maw just up and left. He was only interested in Mentstons bounty. Right after he left, another ship. A frigate showed up.”

“The Timbergrove.” Emma adds.

Daveed nods. “Yes. They boarded us and told us to surrender. The [First Mate] refused to surrender so we fought. About half of us died before we gave up. After that, me and the other survivors worked for the new [Captain] until we reached Breston. Then we’d be free.”

Carrion leans back. “Damn, that's actually a pretty good deal. Most [Captains] would’ve gutted you if not outright sold you to [Slavers].”

“Trading [Slaves] is illegal in Breston.” Emma adds.

“Illegal without bribes.” Carrian adds. “I’ve worked on these ships and you’d be surprised by the number of [Slaves] and money changing hands in the middle of the night.”

“And the [Lord] does nothing about it?” She asks.

“He can’t- not enough [Guards]. I heard he’s trying to expand the number of [Guards] so he can crack down on this shit, but rumor says he’s waiting on a large shipment of armor and weapons.”

Daveed’s eyes widen. He glances at the cat- who glances back and gives a small nod.

“Um, I think that shipment was supposed to be supplied by Menstron,” Daveed says. “The Imminent Huntress hold is filled with weapons and armor.”

“If that’s true, then we should tell the [Lord],” Emma says excitedly.

Carrian snorts. “Right, like the [Lord] is going to listen to us.”

“Not us, but my dad. Dad occasionally gets rune work at the castle. Recently he was hired to create an electrified floor under carpet.”

“Is that Daveed?” A voice yells across the hall. Eyes turn to watch a large man with a black and gray brigandine stroll into the tavern. Behind him, two more men follow with eager grins on their faces. The tavern only hushes for a moment at the new voice before continuing on as though the new arrival isn’t anything noteworthy. But the man cares not. He strides towards the three.

“Shit, that's the breaker gang.” Carrian curses.

“The breakers? You know the breakers?” Emma asks Daveed.

“I-.”

“The breakers are the reason Daveed had to join with the pirates,” Carrian explains. He reaches at his side to make sure that his knife is available. He then looks at Emma. “No matter what happens, don’t fight and don’t say anything to piss them off. Call the [Guard] if you can get away.

The man arrives at their table with a grin. He grabs Daveeds cup, downs the content and then slams the cup down. “Daveed, I hope you haven't forgotten about me.”

Daveed swallows. “N-no Biron.”

“Are you sure? Because, if I remember right, you disappeared aboard a ship right when we needed to get paid.”

“I think there's a misunder-” Carrian tries to stand up, but Biron is faster. His arm latches on Carrian and pushes him back down on the seat. “Stay quiet,” Biron orders.

“Now, Daveed.” Biron grabs the bowl of milk right from the drinking cat and then pours it over Daveed. “I hope you realize that that payment is still going to need to be paid either with coin or broken bones.” He leans down to Daveed’s eye level. While he does, the cat hops off the table and disappears into the rest of the tavern. “Normally, the plan was to mangle one of your legs and turn you into a cripple that sends a message about not getting payment. But now, after all this time, you owe us interest. I think both arms are going to be an acceptable payment.”

“Are you seriously maiming him for money? The [Guards] won’t let that happen.” Emma exclaims.

Biron shifts his gaze at her and grins. He looks her up and down. “You know, I’ve heard some of you stone freaks lived in Breston- but I didn’t think you’d look so fuckable.” He points a finger at Daveed. “I might be willing to leave a functional arm if you follow me to my place afterwards.”

“Well look at that. Birons dick must be so mangled he can’t feel anything unless it's made of stone.” A nasally voice yells from across the tavern.

Biron turns rapidly around. “WHO THE FUCK SAID THAT!” He roars, silencing the entire room.

“Wow, that must be quite a mangled dick.” An older voice from a different area of the tavern exclaims.

Biron turns to the voice and singles out an aged man sitting with two others.

“What the fuck did you say?” Biron asks and starts walking towards the man.

“I feel bad for any woman that has to deal with a mangled cock.” This time a woman's voice.

“Bitch.” Biron turns to the confused [Maid]. He starts walking to her.

“Wow, even the [Maid] feels bad for him.” Another voice, this one younger and much closer.

Biron turns and punches the man in the face. The man, a [Sailer] drinking with his crew, staggers from the punch. He falls off his stool and almost lands on a cat. At the same time as the man falls, one of the [Sailers] at the table punches Biron in the jaw. Then Biron’s friends join the fray, followed by the rest of the [Sailors]. The fighting escalates further until half the tavern is trading punches.

As the violence happens, a cat returns to his table Then the cat turns towards ongoing violence.

“Daveed.” The cat says resolutely, startling all three.

“Y-yes.”

“My milk has been spilled, Daveed.” The cat raises a paw at Biron. “By that man right there.”

Daveed swallows.

“Do you want another one?” Daveed asks while his two companions are still reeling from a talking cat.

“No, Daveed. I no longer thirst for sweet Embrosia.”

The cat watches the fighting- fixated specifically on Biron.

“Now” The cat begins slowly. “I thirst for blood, violence, vengeance, and war. Biron will die, but not until everything he cares about lies dying at his feet. For that, these breakers are now my prey. I will hunt them down and slaughter them like the milk spillers that they are.”

The cat's coat seems to puff up and make him look both larger and feral.

“They will be butchered like cattle and hounded like mice. I will rip their throats, cut open their bellies, and feed upon their lifeforce until all of their corpses litter my path. None will escape my wrath.”

The cat grins to reveal sharp teeth.

“But Biron- Biron I will toy with. I will slice, I will tear, I will rend, and when the time is right, when his screams become coarse, I will rip his head off and bathe in his innards!”

The cat turns to Emma. “Women, close your gaping mouth and take me and my mount somewhere safe so that I may prepare the slaughter.”

“Um.”

“Less with the gaping, more with the moving!” the cat urges.

Emma looks at Daveed, who gives a slow nod.

“O-ok.” She gets up. “Come to my home.”

“The cats…” Carrian begins but is interrupted by Emma urging him up.

The cat hops up on Daveeds shoulder and the group rushes out of the Tavern.

____________________________________________________________

When Emma returns home, thankful that her father was not home. Placing her hand on the runed lock, she manipulates the mana within. The door clicks. She opens the door and pushes everyone inside. Then she closes and locks the door.

“We’ll go to my room.”

She leads them up the stairs and into her room. She grimaces at the cleanliness of her room. Her father had clearly taken the time to make her bed and organize her room.

“Huh, this looks kind of normal.” Carrian comments.

“Were you expecting something else?” Emma asks.

Carrian shrugs. “Kinda. I thought since you’re not human, your room would be different or something.”

Emma snorts. “I grew up around humans, not Gemma. So of course I'm going to be more like a human. My father already tells me I should act like a proper Gemma- whatever that means.”

She walks to her bed and sits down. “If you want to see what a Gemma’s room looks like, then I’ll show you my dads room later. But first,” she looks at the cat on Daveeds shoulder. “What's with the cat and why can it talk?”

The cat hops off of Daveed's shoulder and lands on her dresser. While on top of her dresser, the cat stares at her rock collection.

“Nice gems.” The cat comments. Its large beady eyes assess her rocks with a nod. “Ruby, topaz, amethyst, emerald, sapphire, and a damn big diamond. You’ve got an interesting collection here.” The cat raises a paw and looks as though he’s about to swat one of the rocks off the table. Then the cat grimaces and lowers its paw.

“Stupid instincts.”

The cat seems to reorient itself and then lay down on the dresser.

“Your dresser feels like shit.”

“Who- or what are you?” Carrian finally asks the question.

The cat yawns. “Me? Oh, I'm just a completely ordinary cat.”

Both Emma and Carrian frown at the cat's words. They look at Daveed, who seems muted and silent.

“I’m going to have to call that a blatant lie.” Carrian says.

“Same.” Emma agrees.

“It’s not a lie. I’m really just an ordinary adorable kitten.”

“Cats don't talk.” Carrian says.

“Nor do they plan to kill people.”

“Bah. Kill is such a- nice way to put it. I prefer slaughter. Dismember works too.” The cat's tail swishes softly. “As for the talking, you’ve clearly never spoken to a real feline.”

“I’ve met cats- even eaten some.” Carrian says while getting a raised eyebrow from Emma. “None have talked.”

The cat waves a paw. “Pathetic imitators acting as though they are of my species. Clearly inferior clones.”

Emma snorts while Carrian pinches the bridge of his nose.

“Fine, whatever.” Carrian points at Daveed. “Who are you and why is my brother scared of you?”

The cat releases a sigh. “What has the world come to for peasants to request things of me.” He shakes his head. Then he stands up and sits on his but. “Fine, I’ll humor you, but only because I am a very lenient member of my species.”

The cat clears his throat.

“You two are standing in the presence of the illustrious [Captain] Quasi Eludo.”

“You’re a [Captain]?” Carrian asks.

“Of the Timbergrove, yes.”

“You’re the one who captured the Imminent Huntress!” Emma says in realization.

“How does that… You have a Job. A Class?” Carrian asks.

“Yes and yes. But enough about me. It's time to talk about something more important, like this breaker gang. I need to know their command structure, numbers, classes, jobs, and location.”

“Wait. What of my brother?” Carrian asks.

“Daveeds my mount until I leave Breston. Once I leave, he’s free to do whatever. Now, back to this breaker gang.”

“Are you really planning to kill them?” Emma asks.

“Slaughter,” the cat corrects. “And yes, by the time I am done, they will be un-alived. But before that, I need information. You can either provide it or I’ll have to search for them with Daveed.”

“You’re not putting my brother in harm's way!” Carrian exclaims.

“It's fine.” Daveed says. “I’ll help you Quasi, just don't involve my brother. Please.”

“Daveed?”

Daveed shakes his head. “It’s fine. It’s better this way.”

“Fuck no it’s not. Why even listen to this mangy cat?”

Daveed swallows. He glances at Quasi, but the cat acts as though it didn’t hear the insult. “[Captain] Quasi slaughtered the [First Mate] and three others while surrounded. I have to help him or I’ll be killed.”

“Yup.” the cat nods. “He’s mine until I leave Breston. If he refuses my orders, then I’m obliged to end his life. Unfortunate for a young man, but it would look bad on me if I didn’t follow my threats.”

Carrian looks at Daveed and then the cat. The thought of taking his dagger out and stabbing the cat crosses his mind, but only for a moment. If Daveeds words are Genuine, then it’s best not to risk it.”

“Fine then. Let me take my brother's place. I know about the breakers better than him.”

“Carrian”, “Brother.” Emma and Daveed exclaim in surprise.

“Look, it's fine. I know where they hang out and they have no beef with me.” Carrian explains. “I just need to help you find them, right?”

The cat nods. “For the most part, yes.”

“I’m going with you.” Emma says.

“Same.” Daveed adds.

“No.” Carrian shakes his head. “Too dangerous.”

Emma folds her arms. “I don’t care. I’m not leaving you alone with a bloodthirsty kitten.”

“This is my problem, not yours. I need to take responsibility!” Daveed urges

“Damn Daveed.” The cat interrupts the three, “You’re really lucky. You’ve got an older brother that's willing to put his life on the line and a stone woman who refuses to abandon him. Now that's rare.”

Daveed blushes at the praise, Emma smiles resolutely, and Carrian grimaces at the other two.

“It will be dangerous.” Carrian counters weakly.

“And that's why we’re going. If we’re in a group, it will be safer.” Emma explains.

“I’m not abandoning you.” Daveed says resolutely.

Carrian groans for a moment, and then sighs. He looks at the cat. “I hope this is fine with you.”

Quasi shrugs. “It matters not if I have one or three mounts. So long as you lead me to the breakers, then I don't care.”

Carrian steps back and leans on the wall with a frown. “We can lead you there, but only during the night.” He looks at Daveed. “It’s too dangerous during the day since they’ll be looking for my brother.”

“The night is fine- preferred actually.” Quasi informs. The cat hops off the dresser and lands on the bed. It walks to the pillow, twirls in a circle and lays down. “In the meantime, I'll catch some sleep.”

The three watch, amazed as Quasi’s eyes close and breathing softens.

“I still had more questions.” Carrian whines, but the cat does not stir.

8