IC god Games – Chapter 35: Loot and Lords
161 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The door slams open with a violent thud. Not even before the thud, Richard scrambles out of his bed and unsheathes his cutlass from under his pillow. He then points it, completely naked, towards the sweating [Head Guard] in the doorway.

Both the [Head Guard] and Richard stare at each other for a moment. The [Head Guard] blushes at the morning wood standing ready.

“M-my [Lord]. Apologies for awakening you, but there's been a predicament.”

The [Lord] stares confused for a moment at [Head Guard] Merian. Then he looks down.

“Right. What’s the predicament Merian?” He lowers his cutlass and sheathes it back into the scabbard.

“It’s at the docks. Your [Spy] is reporting that [Fleet Captain] Calvaron’s ship is being attacked by what may be a skilled [Assassin].”

Richard quickly relaxes. ”I see. Mmmm, fine. Rouse the [Guard]. I’ll head there immediately. Hopefully the [Assassin’s] not dead yet.” He grabs his scabbard and walks to his mannequin where his armor is stored. Then he begins putting his clothes on. “I’ll be there in five minutes.”

Merian, realizing she is still staring, salutes, and rushes off.

___________________________________________________________

His arrival to the docks is met with significant torchlight. The entire docks become illuminated with firelight as a third of his [Guards] take position on the docks.

“The probable [Assassin] is still on board.” Devold points at Seden’s Orbit. The ship is a Buxon made agron class destroyer. It is larger, heavier, and smothered in heavy armaments designed for Buxon or [Sailors] heavily invested in the strength trait. A true war destroyer, and an equal to the average cruiser in combat.

“What do you mean by probable?”

The [Spy], an older man gifted with youth, nods slowly. “Well, I’ve seen [Assassins], and most have ways to blend into the darkness. But I could see him clearly with my [Night Vision]. But, other than that, he was skilled at moving silently and killing silently.”

“[Night Vision]. That's a rare skill. I thought only [Rogues] get it.”

“[Spy’s], [Thiefs], [Skirmishers], and [Scouts] can also use the skill without being an advanced class. There are more, but those are the ones I know my [Lord].”

Richard sighs. “Well, unless that [Assassin] is an expert class, then he’s most likely dead. Calvaran’s not the type to be killed easily.”

“My [Lord], there’s someone on the deck!” one of his [Guards] yells.

Looking up and walking to the firelight, a group of three adult humans, two Gemma, a human child, and a cat stare down at his [Guards].

“The big guy. The human, that’s the [Assassin].” Devold points.

“And he’s alive.” Richard says in surprise as he stares at the man. Though standing strong, the guy is covered in cuts and bruises throughout his body. “Barely.”

Then he notices the other injured. A gemma being held by a human and a female. The man has a cut across his stone chest covered in dried blood. He realizes who it is.

“Afinov! Marian, call a [Doctor]- one that knows how to treat Gemma.” He orders and then rushes towards the ship. His [Guards] and [Spy] quickly follow. He arrives just as the group walks down the plank.”

“What is the meaning of this?” He asks with the authority of an expert classer.

The cat hops off the large human’s shoulder and then lands on a nearby barrel.

“And what is the meaning of this?” The cat waves a paw at the [guards] present.

Every [Guard], [Spy], and [Lord] freezes at the sight of a talking cat.

“Yea, you should be fucking surprised. Coming to this peer and surrounding my ship like that. I hope you have a goddamn reason for this.”

Richard is the first to recover. “I am [Lord] Richard of Breston and this ship does not belong to you. It is the property of [Fleet Captain] Calvaron.”

The cat yawns. “Hate to burst your bubble, but Calvaron discretely offered everything he owns to me with his dying breath. So, no, it’s not his, it is mine.”

Richard's eyes widen “You killed Calvaron?”

The cat shrugs nonchalantly. “I prefer to use the word Slaughter, but I guess kill is fine. Now, If you'll excuse me, I’ve got a heavily injured gemma that needs medical attention.”

“I’ve already called a [Doctor]. They will be here shortly. For now, how about explaining to me why you are here and… slaughtering Calvaron?”

“Because of milk.” the cat says resolutely.

Two of the smaller humans chuckle at the statement.

“Milk?” Richard asks, confused.

The cat nods. “Yes. One of Calvaron's subordinates spilled some of that beautiful creamy goodness while I was in the midst of consuming the liquid ambrosia. And for that very reason I vowed to slaughter the organization, starting with the leader.”

Richard pauses for a second as he digests the words. He looks at all those present.

“And you brought all of them with you?” he points at the silent group in the back. “You even brought a child.”

“Well, no. My stupid subordinate brought the child because Calvaron sent [Rogues] to my ship to kill the crew. The [Rogues] failed, of course, but we very well cant let such violence go unpunished.”

Richard raises an eyebrow. He stares at the cat for a moment until it actually pops up.

Quasi Eludo: Level 7 [Ship Captain]

His first thought is that the [Captain] is low level.

His second thought is that the [Captain] is a talking cat.

Then he remembers the rest of the explanation.

“Your ship was attacked? In port?” He voices in surprise. He then turns to Devold. “Is this true?”

“Possibly. There was a rumor going about that Calvaron sent [Rogues] to kill a ship's crew. It could possibly be their ship.” Devold explains.

“Comrade Clay” The large human bellows with a grin and raises a finger at Devold. “Is Ben, yes?” He asks the child. Then he looks at Devold, " You go poopoo?” he asks.

Richard, now very confused, looks at Devold.

Devold clears his throat. “Ben is my Alias while I was aboard the Seden’s Orbit as a [Sailor]. It sounds like he thinks I left to go poop.”

Richard can't help but snort and shake his head. Today is a very odd day.

At that moment, Merian arrives out of breath. The damn woman runs around with far too much heavy armor. He understands why, what with her being a [Knight]. But still, maybe something lighter would do her well.

“The [Doctor] is grabbing supplies and will be here soon my [Lord].”

She notices the presence of the people in front of her.

“Should I arrest them my [Lord]?”

Richard shakes his head. He steps forward.

“Attacking another [Captains] ship in Breston is very illegal and is subject to the death of the attackers, an execution of the [Captain], and the auctioning of the [Captain's] ship. Normally, that would mean you. But, if you were attacked first, then Calvaron was already a dead man and the Seden’s Orbit is no longer under his ownership.”

“The Seden’s Orbit is owned by me.” The cat exclaims. Richard chuckles at the surprised expression on Merians face.

“Under Breston’s law, that is incorrect. The Seden’s Orbit is in possession of the government until such time that it is auctioned off.”

“Oh hell naw. I got cut, thrown across the room, beaten down, and yelled at by that crazy bone regenerating piece of red filth. I am not about to give up my prize because of your stupid laws.”

Richard places a hand on the hilt of his sword and steps forward again. “Laws are what keeps us from being mere animals. They are the foundation with which society can flourish. And for society to flourish, everyone, including the [Lord], must follow the laws down to the letter. If you refuse,” he unsheathes his sword, which instantly bursts into a vibrant flame. “Then you will need to face the consequences.” He grins.

The cat glares back. A grin also on its face as its fur stands on end. “Are you sure you want to do this?” The cat asks slowly.

“Comrade Fluffy,” Boriss interrupts. “Maybe vhe fight later, yes? Comrade Clay is tired.”

Quasi glances back at the child. Who indeed looks tired, but also nervous.

Then he returns to glaring at the [Lord]... and slowly realizes his aggression is brought up by his instincts. If he was human, he wouldn’t be trying to fight against an overwhelming number of people and a guy with a flaming sword.

“You said the ship is to be auctioned?”

“Yes. If you want it, you will need to buy it.”

“Just the ship, correct?”

Richard frowns. “Yes.” He says again.

“Fine, you can auction the ship. But everything inside the ship is mine for the taking.”

“What?” Richard pauses.

“The red piece of shit attacked my crew. As the victim of his transgression, I believe I am entitled to everything he owns absent his ship.”

Richard and Quasi stare at each other for a long moment. Then the flames on the cutlass go out and the weapon is sheathed.

“Seems I’m going to have to make changes to a law going forward.” Richard says with a chuckle. “It’s a deal.”

In reality, he really didn’t want to fight a cat. A cat that killed Calvaron if it is to be believed. An enemy like that is going to be far different from any foe he’s faced before. He could level from the fight, but he could also die. Needless risk if you ask him.

“I’m here.” The [Doctor] arrives with a case under his arm. “Who needs help?”

“The Gemma,” Richard points. “Go help him.”

The [Doctor] rushes past Quasi and then starts ordering them to put the patient down. He opens his bag and starts working.

Richard walks up to the cat. “Now, what ship are you the [Captain] of? I’ll send my [Guards] there to keep your crew safe from any retaliation because of Calvaron’s death. I would also like to invite you and those behind you to my castle.”

The cat pouts. Upset about the ship, but not as aggressive as before.

“The ship is called the Timbergrove. And fine, I’ll go to the castle, at least to make sure the old guy survives.” The cat turns around. “Boriss, take Clay back to the ship… are the [Rogue] corpses still there?”

“Da.”

“Loot them first and then give them to the [guards].”

Boriss salutes and turns to the child and extends a hand. “Comrade Clay, vhe go back, yes?”

“Umm, ok.” Clay takes Boriss’s hand and the two make their way back to the ship.

As they leave, the cat hops off the barrel and strides towards the [Doctor].

“My [Lord], shouldn’t we arrest them for questioning first?” Meriam points at the child and adult.

“No need. We know where they are and the [Captain] will be at my castle.” He points at the kitten that is now talking to the doctor.

“How does a cat get a class?” Merian asks after a moment.

“A class?” Richard chuckles and shakes his head. “I’m still trying to understand how a cat can talk.”

6