IC God Games – Chapter 25: Traits
174 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Within the bowels of the timbergrove, a group of individuals rest within the mess hall. They sit around an old rectangular table with some degradation. Atop the table is a candle that barely illuminates the room in a soft glow. Near the candle lays a kitten, its eyes stare at the flickering light with annoyance.

“You bought candles?” I glare at the Scot as he struggles to open a firmly corked bottle.

“Who the fuck corks this so ha-there we go.” Cillian grins when he finally manages to open the bottle. He then starts pouring the liquid into several cups on the table. Old, ceramic cups, but cups nonetheless. “Because they were cheap.”

“That's fine, but couldn’t you have bought a lantern or something? Or even an oil lamp?”

“I could’ve.” Cillian finishes filling the last cup and then pushes the cups to all those that are of age to drink. “But they didn’t have much, and what they had was needlessly expensive.”

I groan.

“Fine, whatever. We’ll make do with candles for now.” I look to Myers. “Time for you to answer questions. First, let’s go with the simple one. What do the different traits do and how, or I guess, what, do the attributes change?”

He blinks. “That is not as simple a question as you think it is.”

I nod and wave a paw for him to keep going.

“Hmm, it may be best to start from the beginning. You’ve all seen your character sheets, correct?”

We nod.

“Then we’ll start with the five columns. Traits are your mental and physical attributes. Human Average, or whatever species you may be, is what the base traits of your species is. IBD, or Individual Base Calculations, is what your own unmodified capability is. Both Human Average and IBC can change over time. Especially IBC, which can be increased with excursion.”

He looks at us, making sure that all are listening to his every word.

“Level modifications are percentile increases to your IBC. You gain a single percent improvement per attribute point. Your Trait Actual Value is the final value after all modifications have been implemented.”

“And the traits themselves?” I ask.

He chuckles. “You sound like an eager child who just got their class.”

He clears his throat with a sip from his cup. “There are seven traits. Strength, Endurance, Vitality, Perception, Intelligence, Mana, and Control.”

“We’ll begin with the first trait: Strength. Strength is your Tensile Muscular Force. It is the most popular trait to modify for the average man. It increases the strength of your muscles, allowing you to lift more, wear heavier armor, and overpower others if you get into a fight. But, there is a limitation, which leads to the next trait: Endurance.”

“Endurance is your resilience and rigidness. It is your body's ability to withstand physical stress. This trait makes you more durable and capable of withstanding physical trauma. If you are of a race that has natural armor or weapons, they too will become more durable. Now, on the subject of the caveat. Strength makes your muscles stronger. You can push and pull harder, but if your Endurance is too low, then you will tear your muscles in the process. For most, two to one muscles to endurance is recommended.”

“I imagine people ignore that fact.” I comment.

He nods. “They do, and they only get away with it because they do not know how to utilize their full muscular capacity.”

“The next trait is Vitality. Vitality is your body's ability to heal wounds, recover mana, resilience to infections, poisons, and a longer lifespan. This trait is popular among women and the aristocracy for the lifespan alone.”

“That's a trait you’ve increased by quite a bit, isn't it?” I ask the old man who talks like someone over a century old.

Myers nods. “Of course. A longer, healthier life allows more time to gain wisdom and levels.”

“How is the increase in lifespan calculated?” Irmgard asks, intrigued.

“It is a direct increase by the percentage. Putting a hundred attributes into Vitality will double your lifespan.”

“Huh. If your normal lifespan is one-hundred, all you need to do is gain a level or two a year, and you could be immortal.” I comment.

He sighs. “If only leveling did not become expressively more difficult the more you level.”

“Is dere a max level?” Cillian asks with a second bottle in his hand.

“None have exceeded ninety.”

So, leveling gets progressively harder and the soft-cap is in the eighties.

“For vitality, I noticed a percentage and the letters M/R/M. What is that?”

“Mana Regeneration per Minute. The percentage is how much of your maximum mana you regenerate per minute. For most, it is rather low, but certain lineages have grossly increased base percentages.”

“The next Trait is Perception. Perception is your physical senses like Touch, sight, smell, hearing, and taste. It is, as you’d expect, a rather unpopular and unmodified trait.”

“The next Trait is Intelligence. Intelligence is your learning speed, memory retention, and memory recall. It is also a trait rarely taken except for certain classes like [Researcher], [Librarian], and [Teacher].”

He strokes his beard slowly with his left hand while his right hand traces the cup in front of him.

“Now, the next trait is Mana. It is the simplest trait in the sense that all it does is increase your maximum pool of mana. It is a trait commonly improved by [Mages].”

“Mageek? Dey hav Mageek?” Cillian slurs with a third bottle in hand.

Myers stares at the drunken Scot for a moment. Then he remembers he has his own drink. He takes a chug and tastes wine. He coughs for a moment as the potent drink slides down. He then clears his throat. “Yes, there's magic, though we probably won’t see any [Mages] this far from the major nations.”

“And the last trait?” I ask.

He grunts. “The last is Control. Control is arguably the most complicated stat. The trait improves physical and magical accuracy of movement. It allows you to use activatable skills more often, makes said skills activate faster, improves skill radius, and increases the speed at which mana is manipulated- which allow for faster casting. The skill is favored by [Duelists], [Archers], and any class that utilizes precision weapons or equipment.”

“And anyone who has an activatable skill.” I add.

Myers Grimaces. “Activatable skills show up commonly in expert classes, and very rarely in advanced ones. If you add all of your attributes to control expecting an activatable skill, then you will be firmly disappointed.”

“Vhat is advanced and expert?” Boriss finally speaks. Though he’d been silent the entire time, all of that time was spent listening and learning.

“Those are just class rankings. You become an advanced class at level twenty five, an expert at fifty, and master at seventy five.”

I stretch my paws forward and back before laying back down. “What about titles?”

“You’ve unlocked titles?” Myers asks, surprised. The old man leans forward, now very interested.

“I have one title that I got for solving the corruption problem.”

And like that, Myers' interest subsides.

“Ahh, it is a single use, then. Pity. Titles are difficult to obtain and information on how to obtain them is a closely guarded secret.”

Before I can ask another question, the candlelight flickers out, drowning the room in darkness.

“Goddamit cillian, your candles are trash. They don't even last. No wonder they were so cheap. Go light another one.”

I am met with silence.

“Cillian?” I glance at the Scot. His eyes are closed and drool leaks from his mouth.

“Goddammit.”

“Is fine,” Boriss gets up, “I will light candle.”

“Actually, fuck the candle. Bring me that glowing ball. We’ll use that for light.”

“Da.”

Boriss leaves the mess hall and returns with a bag. He removes the bag and the entire room is smothered in a bright gold glow.

Myers' mouth falls open while Clay smiles at the glowing ball.

“That's a gold core. How did you get something so rare?”

“From the corruption.” I tell him.

Boriss places the orb in the middle of the table, wherein Myers leans closer.

“Amazing. I’ve only seen two of these before, and both were installed on ships.” He leans back after a moment and then looks at the cat. “That title you got, it is Leviathan Slayer, isn’t it? Only a fully formed adult Leviathan could produce a gold core.” He shakes his head. “It must have been heavily injured and dying already. You must have finished it off.”

“Huh. So, how much do you think this thing is worth,” I pat the orb between my paws like a ball of yarn.”

“You could buy several islands with a gold core. Hell, you could buy an entire fleet of cruisers.”

“So, what you’re saying is that I’m the wealthiest kitten in the world.”

Myers brain stops for a moment as he digest what I’d just said, then he chuckles.

“Yes, you’re the wealthiest cat in history.” He adds, jokingly, which gets clay giggling and Irmgard showing the slightest smile.

“Vhat is funny?” Boriss asks, confused. “Comrade Quasi is like fluffy communist supreme commander. When leader is rich, all is rich?”

His words get a snort out of me, which turns into laughter when I note his rather serious and confused expression.

Only after the laughing stops, do I ask my next question.

“So, Myers, I know about classes, but what are jobs? How are they different?”

Myers nods. “Ahh, yes, you’ve not slept yet. When next you sleep, you will be presented with the [Ship Captain] job. Similar to your class, the job can level up to your current level of class. But unlike a class, a job can be removed. For example, if you were to lose this ship, you would lose the [Captain] job as well.”

Myers looks at the other three members of my group, staring at Cillians drooling face for a slight bit longer. “When you get the [Captain] job, you will be offered several Jobs that you can administer to your crew based on your ship, your level, and the class of the crewmember. As you level and improve your ship, more and more jobs will become available for you to give.”

“This, in turn, directly enhances your job based on the number of crew, their levels, your level, and your class. These enhancements can be anything from trait improvements to entire passive skills.”

So, jobs can level up to the level of the class, but unlike a class, they can be lost.

“If you lose your job, do you lose your levels and then have to level again?”

Myers leans back into his chair. “No. You will immediately regain the levels if the job is taken again.”

“What about leveling speed? Are they slower or faster than classes?”

“Faster.”

“And you can only have one job?”

“Yes, though you can change jobs easily. In larger ships, it is common for people to have levels in several jobs. This way, if a crew member dies or is injured, another member can take his place.”

I’ll have to look into that once I figure out what the jobs provide.

“Last question. You mentioned towers and some cult?”

“The Tower Ecclesiasticus are zealots, but I would not consider them a cult. They have grown rather large and organized since the towers rose.”

“And the towers are…”

Myers grunts. His hand strokes his beard again. “Over a hundred years ago, innumerable metal towers rose from the bottom of the planet and started floating like islands. They are large structures with indestructible metal. The towers have some form of barrier blocking the entrance, that as of yet has never been traversed. Over the century, people began worshiping the monuments, forming a cult, and eventually a religion around them.”

Forming a religion off of indestructible towers? Yea, that's a first for me.

“I should be able to traverse the barrier since I’m a champion.” I announce, which gets an eyebrow raise from Myers.

“So you’ve become a god's champion?” Irmgard frowns. “When did you wish to tell us this?”

Tell you? Didn’t I already… oh.

“I forgot.”

She frowns at my answer.

“What? I may be amazing, but even I forget shit- and it's not like it was important at the moment.”

“Comrade Quasi, you are communist commander. You must not keep secret. Is bad for trust. We are family, yes?”

I pout towards the Russian. Somehow, being reprimanded by him hurts exponentially more than Irmgard being upset.

I sigh.

“Yes, sorry. I just figured it wasn’t important. I was prioritizing getting ourselves in a better position.”

Boriss grins. “Is good apology.”

“Why do you need to go to these towers?” Irmgard asks.

“To win the god games. I need to visit all seventy two of them, and then the last tower's location will be revealed. I imagine entering the last tower will beat the game.”

“And why should I follow you around?”

“Because you’ll get to level very fast and I’m currently the safest option. Also, because I’m a great leader.”

Boriss nods at the last part.

“But really, I’m not forcing you to follow me. If you ever want to leave, you can. I’ll leave you with coins and supplies, and you can go your own way.” I point a paw at Cillian and Boriss. “That goes for all of you.”

Boriss frowns but stays silent.

Cillian drools and also stays silent.

Irmgard folds her arms. “I will keep that in mind.”

I turn my attention back to Myers. The old man has been silently listening in on our conversation.

“So, you’ve heard I need to find the towers. Any nearby?”

He nods. “There are some, but I would not recommend going to them as they tend to be far from the safer routes.”

“Don't really have a choice.”

“Then you’d best get more crew and weapons. Without cannons, every [Pirate] is going to be attracted to this ship.”

Right, cannons. This ship’s got no cannons.

“Where would I get cannons?”

The old man grunts, “Most towns dont sell or buy cannons. You’d have to go to a major port, or a town that specializes in producing the weapons. The closest I can think of is Breston, but that is a good month away.

A month is a bit long- or maybe not. Honestly, I should probably see about getting hold of a map.

“Anything closer?” I ask

Myers rubs the side of his glass with a thump. “Well, if you don't mind dealing with unsavory types, we can visit port Enigma. They tend to have a variety of illicit goods for sale. You can probably buy some used cannons from them.”

“How much closer is Enigma?”

“Four days minimum if the weather permits.”

“That's a lot better than thirty days. Is Enigma some kind of pirate town or something? Am I to expect trouble?”

He shakes his head. “Not necessarily. The town deals with all manner of trade, including [Pirates] and even [Pirate Hunters]. So long as we stay armed and follow the town's minimal laws, then there shouldn't be a problem.”

“You mentioned we’d need crew.” Irmgard interrupts. “Can we even find reliable, trustworthy crew there? It seems like a nest of vipers.”

Myers chuckles. “Sometimes, vipers make better crew than rats.”

“Da,” Boriss nods and points at me. “Rats will cry and hide from kitten. Snake better.”

I glance at Boriss for a long moment, and then turn to Irmgard. “Have you leveled your class yet?”

“I have not.”

“Then I’m putting you in charge of the new crew- as soon as we figure out what crew we need.”

I return my attention to Myers. “Though I probably don’t need to ask this, do you know how to get to Enigma?”

“I remember the way, yes. Just know I’ll need to slow the ship while I sleep, unless any of you have trained to pilot a cored ship by chance?”

“You can teach me,” I say.

He raises an eyebrow. “It takes years to learn to use a core.”

“Give me a day,” I say confidently.

He shakes his head while I stretch and release a yawn.

“Alright, I’ve got more questions, but I’ll ask them tomorrow. For now, I’ll go to sleep. Boriss, take Cillian to one of the beds and go sleep. Irmgard and Myers will take first watch.”

“Clay, you’re too young, so go to sleep. Wake up whenever.”

Clay grins. “Yes Captain!”

I snort and then pounce off the table. “Good night, and wake me up if anything happens.”

___________________________________________________________

The moment my body curls on a pillow, sleep immediately takes me.

Then I open my eyes and am greeted with the usual white room.

Except, this time, it is not just utterly white. To my side, a perfect replica of my ship greets me, alongside another floating eyeball. Except, this eyeball isn’t green like the last one, but is instead red.

“Welcome, entity Quasi Eludo. I am administrator #81. My job is to service any and all changes to your Job. You are currently Jobless. The job [Ship Captain] is available to you. Do you accept it?”

You know, I was kind of hoping for something unique to be offered.

“I do.”

Initializing Job installation on entity Quasi Eludo…

Job installation has activated…

Installing Job [Ship Captain] to entity Quasi Eludo

Installation Successful.

Job: [Ship Captain]

Level: Level 1

Job Skills: 1

Ship Size: Frigate

Primary Jobs Available: 3

Support Jobs Available:5

Maximum Job Capacity: 7

Primary Jobs

[First Mate]: Limit 1

[Quartermaster]: Limit 1[Navigator]: Limit 1

Support Jobs

[Boatswain]:[Gunner]: [Cook]:

[Carpenter]:

[Rigger]:

Hmmm. Primary jobs seem like leadership positions, while the support jobs are the average crew stuff.

“I don’t suppose you can explain to me the positions?” I ask the eyeball.

“That information is restricted.”

Of course it is.

“Can I add attribute points to my traits?” I ask.

“Negative. Administrator #37 is assigned to class changes.”

Well, that’s stupid.

“Can you show me my stats?”

“Negative. Administrator #37 is assigned to class stats.”

Of course it is.

“Fine. I see I’ve got a job skill. Can you show me my skills?”

“Request Acknowledged.”

[Captain’s Authority]

-Perceive the jobs of others. Perceive both the job and class of those under your direct authority.

-Offer and Remove jobs under your direct authority.

-Increase all traits by 1% per level of [Ship Captain] class while near your ship.

[Shift] Transform into the species of any souls you possess.

Activation Cost: Mana (Variable)

Sustain: Mana (Variable)

Duration: Until sustain stops.

2/2 souls.

[Stat Spread Allocation]

All transformations benefit from 50% of level modifications.

“Ah, so you can show me all my skills. Good. lets see…a percent increase in stats while aboard the ship? That seems pretty useful- makes for a harder mutiny. I wonder how close you have to be to get the benefit. Do you have to be on the ship, or can you walk on the port?”

“That information is restricted.”

“Shut up, I wasn't talking to you. I was- wait a second. Why does my shifter skill have two souls? Oy, floating eyeball, show me my souls.”

Baby Mimicus (Soul)

Mimicus are one of the most adaptable feline species in all of tristique. They have the unique ability to adapt to even the most dire environmental stimuli. They are also exceptional vocal mimics who are capable of mimicking any and all sounds they hear.

Activation Cost: 77 ManaSustain: 0.8 Mana per minuteDuration: Until Sustain Stops

Elder Decay Leviathan (Soul)

Leviathans are the apex predators across all of Tristique. They are large beasts capable of flying via the absorption of ambient mana. Each Leviathan eventually gains a unique ability that grows stronger with age.

Activation Cost: 237,631 Mana

Sustain: 3,759 Mana per minute

Duration: Until Sustain Stops

OH SHIT!

11