Prologue
504 2 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

They say Knowledge is power, and knowing who he was helped a bit. But power isn’t everything, the blood staining Evangeline's armor could attest to that.

From what she knew, her soon to be killer was a government assassin, code name “Hero With a Hundred Faces”. When Slipstream had told her that she thought it was a weird name. however During the fight she cracked his mask and came to realize how horrifyingly literal name was. The pain and fear he seemed to exhibit after that made her sympathetic, and he used that against her.

She thought over her options, how about running? No, the assassin was clearly faster. She could try to appeal to his humanity, but she didn’t know if he had any to begin with. She didn’t have to check her lantern to know it was too low to fight. In fact over her years as a hero, it seemed to be getting dimmer faster than she imagined it should have been given it had supposedly been glowing since before humans came around.

The situation seemed ironically hopeless, she was meant to be the lantern of hope after all. That’s what the light in it told her anyway. The lantern shines through every one chosen in a different way, and through her it brought hope. At least nobody would see one of their heroes die in such a pathetic way, nobody would have to see someone they looked up to fall.

At least they could have hope. That’s what she tried to tell herself as the assassin drew closer. But why couldn't she? Evangeline spent her whole life trying to fill others with hope, why couldn't she have some in her dying moments.

The assassin kicked her in the stomach, sending her sliding against the wet ground of the alleyway. She didn’t try to get up, what was the point? 

But the lantern had heard her wish, and a faint light traveled out of the lantern and into her eyes. The assassin readied his sword over Evangeline's chest as her lips curled into a smile.

“Amber huh? Do me proud.” she whispered just as the sword pierced her heart.

The lantern vanished.

14