Lady Eleanor [2]
139 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One day prior:

As Jack and Mary valiantly rescued her, Eleanor treaded along the bustling streets of the island, eventually arriving at her parents' resplendent mansion.

Perched majestically upon a rugged cliff, the grand estate commanded breathtaking vistas of the town below, as well as the vast expanse of the cerulean sea and the ethereal skies above.

The corners of the mansion boasted towering structures, adorned with an intricately painted family crest, wrought in iron. Atop the highest tower, a billowing flag proudly displayed the same emblem.

Nestled within the garden, a magnificent stone fountain took center stage, featuring a depiction of the mythical creature Medusa. Its sculpted form possessed sinuous curves, while its visage was devoid of eyes, lips, or any distinguishing features. Atop its head, a serpentine mane cascaded, resembling both the body and head of a snake, from which water gracefully spouted forth.

Approaching the grand entrance, embellished with a colossal wooden door flanked by marble statues, Eleanor grasped the iron door knocker and rapped it firmly.

Within a mere heartbeat, the door swung open, revealing a brown-haired woman servant clad in a simple black dress, who eagerly embraced her.

After releasing Eleanor from the embrace, the servant spoke, her voice filled with concern. "I beg your pardon, Lady Eleanor. But where were you? Your father dispatched a search party to find you."

Thinking swiftly on her feet, Eleanor responded, "I was taken captive."

The servant, her eyes widening in surprise, covered her mouth with her hands. "Oh, my lady. How did you manage to escape?"

Eleanor, not wishing to divulge the details to the servant, brushed it off with a dismissive remark. "You ask too many questions."

The servant quickly apologized and bowed, before offering, "Would you like to see your father, my lady? Allow me to lead the way."

Eleanor nodded, and together they ascended the grand marble staircase in the opulent hall, bathed in the soft glow of crystal chandeliers.

Upon entering a room, Eleanor's father sat on a leather chair, engrossed in his work, with a flickering candle illuminating the desk before him.

Clearing her throat softly, Lady Eleanor sought to capture his attention. 

Startled, he looked up, his eyes widening in disbelief as he swiftly rose from his seat and enveloped her in a warm embrace. With tears streaming down his face, he choked out, "Eleanor, where have you been? Days have passed..."

"Father, I was abducted," she revealed.

Relinquishing the embrace, her father's words spilled forth in rapid succession, concern etched upon his face. "Who was responsible? Did you catch a glimpse of their face? I shall dispatch the navy to exact vengeance. How did you manage to escape? Are you unharmed?"

"Father... you pose too many inquiries. Let us sit and converse like civilized people," she gently interjected.

Taking their seats, Eleanor skillfully wove an elaborate tale, fabricating the details of her abduction, her place of captivity, and her miraculous escape. She deliberately omitted any information that could jeopardize the safety of the pirates, whom she secretly admired. 

As for her captors, their faces concealed beneath ominous black cloth, she remembered little beyond regaining consciousness within the clandestine labyrinth of the pirate network, bound in chains and forced into servitude.

"I understand. I am grateful that no harm befell you. I shall confer with the navy and relay the information you have shared. Rest assured, we shall apprehend and bring swift justice to those responsible," he assured her, his voice filled with determination.

"Thank you, Father. I would be inclined to engage in further discourse, but weariness grips me tightly. Might I beseech thee to grant me leave to retire to my chamber?" she expressed.

"Indeed, we shall continue our conversation on the morrow. Pray tell, hath hunger befallen you? Ahh, my dear, thou hast grown thin and pallid during these past few days. What shall the populace opine upon witnessing thy emaciated and unsightly countenance?" he remarked.

Within her thoughts, she mused, There it is, as predictable as ever—his concern for the opinions of others and his propensity for control. He cares for my well-being, yet his preoccupation with our family's reputation takes precedence.

In response, she replied, "I have partaken of meager sustenance, albeit meekly. The fare they offered was repulsive, scarcely consumable."

He retorted, "Thank the heavens thou didst not partake in copious amounts of such vile sustenance. Who knows what maladies could have befallen thee hadst thou consumed more?"

Formally bowing, her hands clasping the sides of her dress, she made her way towards the exit.

However, before she could depart, he interjected, "Salia shall arrive on the morrow. She remains blissfully unaware of thy recent tribulations. I shall inform her then."

Inwardly, she pleaded, I beg you, Father, desist from doing so. Her visit shall only result in a protracted lecture, wherein she shall decry my contamination by pirates and assert that I am unworthy of my place within these hallowed halls.

With a measured tone, she proposed, "Father... I harbor concerns regarding Mother's reaction to such news. It may afflict her with illness or diminish her appetite, tarnishing her cherished beauty. Let us keep this matter betwixt ourselves, I beseech thee."

Deliberately alluding to illness and diminished eating, for she knew her father's disdain for women who appeared unfit or unwell, she awaited his response with bated breath.

His gaze drifted skyward for a fleeting moment ere acquiescing, "Very well."

He added, "By the way, I intend to visit the Trafford family's mansion. Would you like to accompany me? I believe Robin is present there."

"No, thank you. I am too fatigued to go. However, I do wish to see Robin. Might I ask you to inquire if she would be interested in visiting me now? I suspect she is concerned about my whereabouts," she requested, her eyes filled with longing.

"Alright," he agreed.

Exhaling a sigh of relief, she took her leave from the room, cautioning the servant not to divulge any information to Salia, Eleanor's mother, ere retiring to her own chamber.

...

Within the confines of her lavishly adorned chamber, exquisite silver-framed lamps emitted a gentle radiance, their flickering candles casting a soft glow that danced across the room.

Seated upon a bed of opulent design, embellished with a resplendent frame and adorned with the finest bedding, she found herself lost in blissful reverie.

"Captain Jack and Mary Grace," she whispered, a hint of elation gracing her cheeks.

Rising from her seat, she embarked on a meticulous search for any remnants of gold within her quarters. Opening the nightstand first, her hopes were dashed as no trace of the precious metal lingered within its confines.

Undeterred, she continued her search, scanning every nook and cranny until, after a few minutes of diligent exploration, she discovered a forgotten stash of gold she had once left behind.

A total of 42 gleaming gold coins lay before her, and a smile adorned her face as she gathered them, carefully placing them within a small crimson pouch and securing it with dainty yellow ribbons.

I reckon this should suffic e for their needs. Yet, a nagging feeling persists, whispering "It may not be enough."  

1