Days Before Disaster
524 5 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Lets trim your hair, you don't want a zombie grabbing on it right?" Allison said with a scissor on hand.

I was reluctant at first, i wish someone could give me answer to what happened to the real zoey.

She might return and i know how emotional girls can get on their hair, but safety comes first. So i let allison does her job.

We were outside the barn were henrik bought me before as a look out for any dead roaming around.

I also found Henrik currently working around here. I saw him dissambling a car on our way here.

"That should be good" Allison said, after her finishing touch.

She handed me a mirror and the cut was beautiful.

"I may not look like it, but i'm a great barber in this city"

Weird, i felt attracted to my own face, after a few moment, i ask allison "what happened to the campsite?" I was referring to the previous incedent with alwyn 2 days ago.

Alwyn was suspended for recovery in allison's house, he was annoyed but really have not much of choice.

"That... " allison face frowned "Good news is their all dead, but... "

"But?"

She hesitated, seconds later, she opens her mouth "Nevermind, you don't have to worry about that"

"I want to know" I ask her, eager to know.

Turning her head away, allison ignores me and went on her way

"Hey!" I called her, but she just ignores my call, wearing the same frown.

Just what is it... Why is she like that?

I was about to follow her and persuade her into telling me, then henrik aproaches me.

"Give it up, thas not something you need to know" He told me, i turned towards him his face painted with black substances. My guess is that it was charcoal.

"Pfft " i almost let out a chuckle, barely managing holding myself.

"Ha ha ha, laugh all you want" He grab a cloth and wiping his face. Instead of cleaning it. The black just spreads further from his face.

"What the" he looked at the cloth and found it painted with black charcoal color.

"Hahahaha" i couldn't hold my laughter anymore.

He gruffs in annoyance and walks near the pond, cleaning his face.

Then that feeling came again, i opened the system getting used on how to control it.

____________________

Quest  -Danger In Depths-

Time Duration: 2 Weeks

[ A dangerous monster lurks below the water, find it and remove the threat before it can lay it's hand on the land ]

Reward: 50 Skill Points - Skill: Weakness Finder

Penalty: Human farm quest -Decrease- 3 Month time duration + Destruction of City

____________________

Seriously?, problems after problems...

I look down, wearing a bitter smile. Should i just leave this city?

I don't know who's at fault. Maybe this city is just prone to danger or maybe im the one bringing all of these by just being here.

But the thoughts of meeting a horde of those meat eating zombies and cannibal people is a nightmare. I don't wanna wander in those place deserted of any living, Or good people.

I got up and checked on the crops. After that i went inside the barn, there's 2 cow and 1 horse eating some harvested straws of hays.

As i look around, i came across an empty stall, when i opened. A bad strong stench enters my nose.

I took a peek inside and found a couple of bucket, filled with manure, or farm animal's poop.

"Gross, these things should be kept outside, is probably what your thinking right now" henrik spoke behind.

I was startled at his sudden appearance, and yes. I was thinking of that.

"It's usually covered, and i didn't want the kids playing on it. So i had to put inside" he covered, putting a thick lid under them "that should do it"

"Seems like you already know whats the use of those"

I just nod at his words, gesturing i know what he was talking about.

"Want to help me with this?"

I shook my head repeatedly, crossing my arms "no way"

He chuckled at my reaction, he picked a shovel and sheated his knife.

"I'm making a water way, if you want to find something to do, Huang Chen always has something for everyone"

"Who?"

"Chinese guy, he always wear a sleevless shirt to showcase his dragon tattoo in his right arm.  I think he's in the warehouse right now... Probably"

I followed henrik outisde and he began digging, while i went back not actually trying to find something to do.

Just finding something to waste time.

The walls are heavily guarded today, alwyn really did give these guys a nut job.

It's a bit hot today, i can feel the sun heat burning my skin. I went to a shade under a tree.

I climbed up and seats at one of the thick branches, i scrolled down on the system. Maybe i should use these so called points now.

I'm also curious about this skills, i found something that could help me in dark places.

____________________

Skill Points: 50

____________________

Night Vision

«Gives you the ability to see in the dark»

‹50 Skill Points›

____________________

I clicked on it (mentally) then appeared

( Buy / No )

I bought the skill and i can feel something, an unexplainable feeling that sweeps to my body.

Now how do i test this so called skill, seriously this is just like buying an ability to a game.

I stood up, standing high in the tree branch. Looking at the city.

Then something arises in my mind.

How do i even activate it?...

Opening my status screen, i found the night vision listed as one of my owned skill.

There were no time limit, no consumption. Just a ( On / Off ) Switch, displayed besides it.

I turned it on and suddenly, all the shades under the tree dissapear.

It's like the ray of the sun was phasing through objects.

even the forest lighten up. Not a single trace of single shadow can be seen.

Even when i covers my eye with my palms, everything appears light, when i closed my eye. It's like there were a flashlight pointed at my very eyes.

"Amazing" i muttered, greatly amazed.

Then i wonder if there's any changes in my eye if night vision were activated, and so i went down and goes straight to allison's place.

I grabbed the hand mirror and found my eye with... Nothing. Just nothing, no changes, just the normal black eyes.

"That Was.... disappointing"

A sudden explosion reverberated through the air.

"Graaarghh!!" I hear alwyn screamed, he seems to be in pain.

I rushed to the garage where he usually spends most of his time making that electric spear.

Opening the door, i found alwyn on the floor, just getting up.

"Alwyn!" I called.

"Can you turn on the light" Alwyn replies

What?, i said internally, questioning whats to turn on?. Isn't the ligh- oh right...

I guess that night vision skill works properly and perfectly. I forgot to turn it off

A small smile draws from my face, as i switches the light on.

"What are you smiling at?!" Alwyn roared.

Slowly, he gets up. "Damn. My night goggle is busted" he throwed the night goggle in to the table, looking at it, there was a crack drawn from it's lens. It's body has shattered.

"What happened?"

"A little experiment gone wrong" he pointed to the burnt smoking circuit board, connected to bunch of batteries.

He then turns towards me, looking intently and leaning closer.

"It's weird"

"What is?" I ask

"You"

"What?" I was confused by what he meant.

"I expected you to be strong willed basing on how allison told me your story, just the surface of it, you surviving out there alone is no joke of a feat for omeone younger than me. And yet when we encountered those cannibals... You look scared. Like innocently scared.. Were you just lucky?

When it's a zombie with it's intestines out, you don't feel anything because you know it's dead. But when you saw that man, that guy with no limbs. Your expression tells me thats new to you"

I thought for a sec, how should i reply to this?

"Ye-yeah, i'm probably just lucky" I told him

I can't just tell him i am from another world right?

"I mean, if it's rotting flesh. I don't feel anything looking at them, just disgusted. But if it's a human... "

"It's okay, i was just thinking. It's not even a day when i leave the wall and i already faced such people. But you?, your luck is on a whole different level" He said with a smile, gazing outside the sky.

"I'm also curious about how the world turned like this, all i know is that this so called zombie age started 60 Years ago"

Now thats news to me, i wonder if i'm really on another world or was this the future, i hope it's not.

Then a moment of silence, broken by me

"Sooo.. About that thing" i gestured to the circuit board.

He showed a smile, walking forward towards the locker, opening it, he lifted something then bringing it from the table

"I was, trying to make a robot"

He said showing his creation.

A type of small robot that almost resembles a crab with 4 wheels and a claw.

"It's more of a support type, it can't fight but... You know it's good to have something that could grab things on dangerous situation"

I was looming at it amaze, perhaps this boy is a prodigy, Damn i'm jealous.

"You seem to have a knack for this kind of stuff?, i can't even comprehend a simple thing in these scientific stuff"

"Oh please, I'm just special" he raised his head high and proud.

"Yeah yeah, i get it. Your just talented"

"Nice hair cut by the way"

Night approaches, allison served us a meal in the table.

"Hows the day?" Allison ask

Alwyn was on the side rushing his food.

"Pretty good" i replied

Allison smiles at my answer.

The next day,  there was a commotion at the center of the city.

A crowd of People gathered, peeking over front lays a severed head, torched in a stick.

A letter in a board and a knife stabbed to a human heart.

In the board says "The End is Nearing" theres a strange symbol drawn on it, a sword and a wings covering the middle part of the blade.

"Is it them again?" Exclaimed one of the person in he crowd

"A-are they targeting this p-place now??" Questioned a nervous voice among the crowd

Numerous talks and conversation can be heard, a share of fear and anxiety about their future.

"Whats going on" A guy with long curly hair and sharp eyes spoke, he wears a leather clothes like those biker gangs in T.V shows.

"Sir!" one of the individual in the crowd called out, catching his attention.

He swiftly turned towards the caller, his gaze fixed on them. 

"Are they coming after us? What happened?" he asked, a hint of urgency evident in his voice.

Perplexed, he inquired further, "What's going on? Why are you so alarmed?"

In response, the individuals pointed towards their side. He followed their gesture, turning his head, only to be confronted by a shocking sight—a letter accompanied by a severed head.

He was shock and can't believe what he was seeing "boss ain't going to like this" he muttered.

"Don't worry citizens, as long as we are here. We won't let anything bad happens to you, it's safe inside our walls... nothing to worry about" he assured the scared people.

"Just how safe are we from them" numerous qustion about their safety and the danger errupted. Filling the air with different voice of talks.

"Huh?. whats going there" I walked towards the scene of people gathered in one place.

I can't see in the front because of the people.

"Make way!!" A voice breaks, the crowd of people makes way, letting the guy with long curly hair through.

Holding a long stake pole and a plastic, he carries a board with the quote "The End is Nearing" and a symbol drawn in it.

"Please go back in your own houses, this matter. The higher ups will solve this case, we promise you that there is no safer place outside this wall so please be assured"

As soon as he said those words, he proceeds to walk away.

Despite saying those words, the heavy air didn't dissapear.

Fear and anxiety shrouded the mind of the people around.

"What was that?" I turned to the witnesses.

"What was the commotion back there?" I questioned one of the remaining witnesses

His face in form of worry. However he ignores me.

This in return impacted me heavily, my introvert nature is taking over and now i can't ask people about the said subject.

Guess i'm going back with a curious mind. And with that i went on my way.

10