The Great War ; C1 S1
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

''RELOAD THE CANNONS!'' The commander cried out to us, as we were surrounded by the enemy, bullets shooting at us, I saw the warriors crouching down as they attempted to reload the cannons, my eyes shifting back to the battle field, where the distant battle cries became more obvious, as they came closer, their weapons swinging up in the air. The commander looked at the warriors once again with a glare. ''HURRY UP YOU FOOL.'' He shouted at one of the male warriors, once the cannons were fired, it became quiet for a split second. Before the fog cleared, the enemies were already too close.

It was time for us to fight, the hair on my skin stood up, I was nervous. whilst the other warriors are still busy shooting, firing, killing the enemies. I, and more warriors got ready, running into the battlefield. Lunging ourselves at the enemies, topping them, and killing them with no mercy, as we were taught. I screamed, lunging the sword into the enemy many times. Their lifeless body before me. My body filled with adrenaline, as I retrieved my sword again, picking myself up. Duelling with the enemy, I had no mercy for them, I wasn't hesitant to kill. It was for a good deed after all. ''May your soul rest in hell.'' I glared at the enemy, slashing them, shaking my sword slightly, for the blood to clear off. Before picking my next enemy, my sword twisting their insides, as they bled out.

I was caught lost in the war, and my anger. I didn't even notice the dagger in the side of my stomach. Goosebumps appeared on my body, my lips parted, I was shocked. I dropped my sword on the grass painted in the enemies blood. A warrior dragged me back, it was Vihaan. I was scared, I wanted to keep fighting. But now vulnerable and injured. I couldn't. They removed some of my armour and the dagger carefully. Bandaging up my body, I was damn lucky I didn't die.

''Evera you need to back out now, you're an injured fighter.'' He exclaimed, my head turning to the side to see the enemy losing, I accepted my defeat. Backing out of the fight, knowing we already won. I saw the other side give up as their warriors were dropping dead like flies. We were all happy, shouting in victory. The warrior wiped his hand down my face, clearing the blood stains that were left on my face. ''And the fact you're a woman as well.. You should just stick to being a medic, and treat injured warriors instead of risking yourself, Evera.'' His words hit me really hard, I nodded. A sudden voice spoke, it being recognised as the Commander, he walked back and forth. ''You've all fought well, you've protected our tribe once again, showing no mercy, no remorse, and no fear to the enemy.''

The commander spoke loudly to us, I was still laying on the ground, he looked down at me with a glare, and away. ''Although, we do not wanna get too carried away and get injured like a fool.'' I immediately knew he was referring to me, I wouldn't let men abuse me through words, making me feel insecure and small. ''I did more than what your men could've done!'' My anger taking over my body, replying in a heated tone. He came over to me, stepping on my wound as I groaned with pain. ''But of course, we should always know our place in the tribe.'' He smiled devilishly. Turning his boot around on top of my wound, looking down at me before walking to a warrior, telling them how well he's done. No one left on the battlefield except the corpses of all the fighters.

The injured warriors were rushed to the medics, except I. I wasn't deemed worthy of being treated, the only one who really cared was Vihaan. The one who treated me. He seemed so positive, yet hated when women actually stood up for themselves, he claims he wants a partner who will treat and care for him. Coming home to brewed stew sitting on the table, I felt disgusted. But every man wants that, it's normalised by them, everything is. ''I'll stick to protecting my tribe. I'm not gonna be some little miss perfect who does her husbands commands every second. I have rights.'' I replied, pissed off even more, before sitting up as Vihaan walked away, it seems as if my problems aren't anyone's worries.

I walked back to the lands of the tribe, people gathered up by the pillars, what seemed to be the entrance. They shouted in happiness that we came home safe, and those who died, their family realised quite soon. Mourning their loss. And before I knew it I felt a slight breeze, or as you could describe it, a slight touch. ''EVERA, MY BABY YOU'RE ALIVE!!'' My mother ran up to me, her tears in contact with my shoulder, I hugged her as she did to me. ''Mother.. I'm so sorry I left you waiting..'' I cried, we cried together. She looked at me, wiping my tears away with her thumbs. ''Oh sweet Evera. I'm so happy you made it.'' My heart felt so much calmer, she noticed my waist. ''Let's get you home, to rest. You're injured.'' She exclaimed, as I nodded my head, us holding hands and walking in the direction of our house.. Or you could call it a hut. I laid on the wooden chair, as she fed me soup, warming my body up a bit. I smiled, the pain was more invisible. I could only feel some of it, she smiled back at me. Before placing the half-finished bowl on the table. She turned back around, crouching down to meet my height, before looking down at the floor, a little sigh.

''Why did you go?'' She questions me, her emerald green eyes in contact with mine. This felt like a more personal question, since I didn't go just because I wanted to. ''I went to make you proud of me, so I feel less worthless. But the warriors already feel that, and describe me as if I really am worthless.'' Tears filled my eyes, I felt like I was ranting to her, ''Men will never appreciate a woman who tries hard to be manly.'' She replied. I didn't know how to respond to this, so I simply agreed. I stood up with no difficulties, and went outside for some fresh air, before the Tribal chief came up to me. ''My flower, I'm glad you made it back once again, I'm proud.'' He proclaimed. I smiled, bowing as a simple thank you. Since that's what we practised in this tribe, and that's what's most respectful. Chief Dalisay is my favourite in this tribe, he isn't as toxic as the other men. And judgy women.

I saw the commander in the distance, Chief Dalisay walking up to him while they spoke to each other, I couldn't hear them this far away. But knowing him, it'll be something bad about me. To make me seem like a weak woman. He walked up to me, smiling at me and handing me my sword back, the blood of my enemies still stained on it, I bowed to him again as he walked away to check up on the other tribe members. Now that I think about it, the war seemed so short. But it's been going on for years. I felt suspicious how they suddenly surrendered to us. After years of fighting with us, I was relieved. Our warriors finally rested, and I was healing. I saw kids run past me, playing with their wood dolls. Reminds me of my childhood. I smiled at that moment.

I walked to the pillar, near the grass and the cobblestone path. Resting my head on it, feeling a soft breath on my shoulder, turning around to reveal nothing but the air and distant voices. Suddenly, a voice coming from the forest in the left path of the pillar, I turned my head that way. It feels like it's leading me there. I was hesitant at first, but walked along to the forest, as I entered it, a strong wind blew, my hair in the air, then calming down, I wiped my eyes, feeling like I got dust there. I turned around, the tribe's village wasn't there anymore. In fact it was a long path surrounded by trees. ''I must've walked far'', I thought to myself.

But it was impossible, since I entered and stood there at the start. This feeling was uncomfortable. Shrugging it off and walking along the paths, clearing my mind, until a strange sound came from the steep path, on the side, I felt nervous and vulnerable at that moment. A small snarl coming from there, I thought of an injured animal waiting for help. So I carefully walked down the steep pathway, mud everywhere, looking for the injured species. But oh boy was I wrong.

There was nothing around, except from birds flying high up near the top of the trees, the noise I heard earlier, it came around again. I still haven't changed out of most of my armour, but I ignored it. The noise was so far, but I was dedicated to see what it was. I was curious. Another sound, this time it wasn't a snarl, but more of a roar. I was aware that whatever this was, it's certainly dangerous, but thinking of what it could be led me to a more curious mind. I continued to walk in the lost forest path. Branches snapping, and leaves rustling in a crispy tone.

The wind came back, stronger and pulling me back. As if the gods wanted to stop me from going this way, and back onto the clear path. But I was resistant, and needed to figure out what this thing was. I felt myself sweating, I just needed one more sound, so I know I was on the right path. I kept quiet, in case it was a predator stalking me, and I was foolish enough to try and find it instead. A distant roar again to my left, I walked quickly that way, seeing a pile of leaves in one random spot, near tons of trees. It moved, again and again.

The creature was in there, my hands were shaking, as I took deep breaths. I have a light heart, and don't take jump scares lightly, plus. Me being afraid of death is another thing, whatever was in that pile of leaves made a lot of noise, being exposed to large and dangerous bears, since this forest had a lot of them. I had a soft spot for animals, so I walked a bit closer, cautious and alert of my surroundings. I took more deep breaths, reassuring myself it won't be that bad.

But I was afraid of being attacked by the animal, or making it feel like I was a bigger predator looking for food, and that's when I built enough courage to finally discover what was hidden here, but as soon as I went closer, the movement and noise stopped. And so did I. I stopped dead in my tracks, but still went closer, until I was close enough to move away the leaf pile, and see what was hidden under there, and that's what I did, I was surprised. My lips parted. At this time I was most cautious now, holding the animal in my arms, looking around my surroundings, removing any leaves stuck on it.

0