Chapter 14
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A thousand different memories swirled around Ayla’s mind as she took in the approaching girls. None of them good. They weren’t necessarily overtly malicious, but that still didn’t make the words sting any less.

“Ayla Westford coming to a party? What a shock.”

“Look what the cat dragged in.”

“Will that girl ever focus on something else? Tch. She’s always got her head in the clouds.”

“Maybe you’d have more friends if you weren’t so obsessed with the stars.”

They weren’t the only ones who said things like that. She didn’t even know if they knew they were doing it most of the time. When they’d met the girls had been very friendly and welcoming, but as time went on they seemed to grow more frustrated with her.

Not wanting to go to parties all the time or wanting to work on her thesis instead of going on dates. Not having any interest in those things when there were other things she’d rather be doing. A part of Ayla agreed that it might be unusual to be so avoidant of those things.

Hell, she’d heard similar words from her parents and brother. But when these girls who she had thought were her friends said them, it somehow made the sting worse. Ayla could still remember the day she figured out they didn’t like the subject as much as she did. The day it became clear to her that they found it annoying.

She had gone to one of their parties in an attempt to understand what the big deal was, but had had to leave due to the excess of bright lights. It hadn’t taken long for her to understand that although the experience could objectively be considered “fun”, it simply wasn’t for her.

The problem, however, was that the girls had taken it as a more personal attack than a difference in preference. Their friendly demeanours changing into ones lined with frustration. It wasn’t that they started to avoid her, but that Ayla could sense they didn’t really understand her. And people had a tendency to make fun of things they didn’t understand.

Ayla didn’t know why it had bothered her so much when they had started doing the same. Friendly jabs that soon didn’t seem so friendly. She could never bring herself to call them out on it. It felt like she was making a big deal out of nothing.

“Who’s your friend?” Georgina asked as she and Aminah walked up to them.

Aminah’s eyes were glued to Eileen in a way that Ayla wasn’t quite sure she liked. As if feeling the weight of her gaze, she turned around to give Ayla a questioning look. “Is she going to attend the academy too?”

Trying to make her mouth open proved to be a difficult task. Ayla couldn’t make her throat work to clear the dryness, no words coming to mind. The only thing keeping her from bolting was Eileen’s reassuring presence next to her. One that brought her out of her paralysis when she spoke.

“Hello!”Ayla blinked out of her stupor at the sound of her voice. “My mama told me it’s rude to not address a question to the person you’re asking about.”Ayla could see a mischievous gleam enter Eileen’s eyes for a moment before it was gone.

The girls glanced at her in confusion before turning their attention to Eileen. Their eyes flicked over her, faces scrunching at the innocuous look on her face. They seemed to not know how to answer that.

“What are your names?” After not having gotten an answer, Eileen had moved away from the piles of clothes and moved to stand beside Ayla. It was a casual stance, but the way Eileen had positioned herself was more protective than would seem to the girls.

Amirahseemed to hesitate, glancing at Georgina for cues but quickly turned her head back to them. “Aminah. Aminah Jacobs,” she glanced towards Georgina before continuing. “And this is my friend Georgina.”

Eileen smiled brightly, holding out a hand with excess enthusiasm. “It’s so nice to meet you!” When Aminah hesitantly took her outstretched hand, she shook it with just as much enthusiasm. “It’s so nice to meet Ayla’s friends!”

“Georgina Philips.” The words were said slowly as Eileen grabbed her hand to shake as well. The sight of their bewilderment made Ayla’s muscles relax, amusement replacing the shock she had been feeling.

Although that may have just been because of the way Eileen was still covering her from their view. It made it much easier to let go of the instinctive discomfort that had lately characterized her meetings with them. Easier to forget the things she’d heard them say when they thought she wasn’t around.

As she watched, all of their attention was now on Eileen. Ayla wanted to laugh at the expression on their faces. They seemed at a loss, not knowing what to do with her expectant eyes looking at them.

“I…,” Georgina blinked and then squinted her eyes, “I don’t believe we’ve met.”

Almost immediately Aminah added, “What’s your name?”

Eileen looked at them a little blankly, confusioncolouringher face. “Didn’t I say?” She tilted her head when they shook their heads. “Oh.”

When she didn’t go on, seemingly content to let the silence linger, Ayla had to try her best to stifle the laugh that threatened to escape. Leave it to Eileen to pause for dramatic effect. However now, Georgina seemed to be growing a little impatient.

“It’s Lenora.” Ayla smiled at them as their heads immediately snapped towards her. She made sure to stay where she was, still not feeling comfortable enough to move that close. “This is Lenora Divine. She’s an old friend of mine.”

There was a little bit of irony in that statement. Both because it was true and because this was the second time that day Ayla was introducing her as such. However, this time Eileen wasn’t surprised by it. She always did adapt fast.

“An old friend?”

“Of course,” Eileen smiled, “we’ve known each other forever!”

“Oh?” Georgina seemed curious. “I don’t recall having seen you with her.”

“Do you go to the academy as well?”Aminah restated her question from earlier, apparently having taken Eileen’s words to heart.

“The academy?” Eileen blinked in a look that reminded Ayla of a confused deer. “Where’s that?” A shake of her head. “No I don’t.”

“Oh.”Aminahpursed her lips, “That’s unfortunate.”

“I’ve been staying with my grandfather in the countryside for the past few years,” she turned to Georgina, “that’s probably why you haven’t seen me.”

“I normally go to see her.”Ayla added to confirm the words.

“Where in the country-”

“How long have you known Ayla?” Eileen cocked her head to the side, “I haven’t heard much about you.”

Aminahseemed to hesitate, frowning at having her question interrupted, but answered regardless. “We met at the start of last year. ” A small smile and glance towards Ayla, “We’re in a lot of the same classes.”

Eileen oohed at that and then smiled wide. “That’s so cool! Are you studying astronomy as well?”

“No.” Georgina shook her head, “We’re doing a different course, we just happen to have overlapping courses.”

“They’re taking the classes for their psychology degrees.” Ayla decides to throw them a bone and answer before Eileen can ask them. Otherwise they’d be here for far too long and as much as she was enjoying their clear confusion, she wanted to be home soon.

“That’s cool. I don’t think we have enough of those.”

The girls smile at that and then seem to be at a loss on how to continue the conversation. They all stand there in complete silence for a few seconds before Eileen once again interrupts it.

“Are you studying to be a psychologist or a psychiatrist?”

“Psychiatrist,” Aminah automatically responds.

“I’m surprised a country bumpkin knows what that is.” Georgina’s words are muttered, which tells Ayla she didn’t mean to say them out loud. Her face immediately drops, eyes widening as she registers this and the confused glance Aminah throws her before turning back to them.

By the way they fidget in place before pretending nothing was said, it’s clear both of them are hoping Eileen didn’t hear them. Either that or they’re hoping her mind was occupied by something else, which is evident when they subtly shoot Ayla a slightly panicked look. Unfortunately for them, Ayla knows Eileen has extremely sharp senses and most definitely did notice.

“What’s a “bumpkin”?” Eileen cocks her head, a subtle undertone of amusement. “Is it something you can eat?”

A surprised laugh escapes Aminah at that and Ayla has to suppress her own laughter. She’d almost forgotten how petty Eileen could be. Georgina looked like she wanted the ground to open up and swallow her whole as she responded.

“No. It’s nothing.”

Eileen frowned. “Then why did you say it?” She shook her head when the question was only met with silence. “Do you not know what it means either?”

“I do,” she quickly responds, “It just not that important.”

Georgina seems to get more uncomfortable by each second that Eileen doesn’t respond. Ayla’s a little amused to see her almost squirm underneath her innocuous scrutiny. And she knows that it’s exactly what Eileen is going for and is no surprised when Eileen shakes her head with a smile.

“Okay,” she gives her a break and shrugs. Then she squints her eyes, “although I don’t know why you think there aren’t psychiatrists everywhere. It would take forever if people had to go all the way to Teodes to see them.”

“Right,” Georgina smiles sheepishly.

“Anyway,”Aminahinterrupts, “It is very nice to meet you Lenora.” She smiles as she turns her gaze to Ayla, “and it was good to run into you outside class.”

Ayla returns the smile, feeling at ease with Eileen nearby. She knows that when either of them says these things a part of them means it. But that doesn’t mean she has forgotten the other things they have said. So although she knows that objectively they’re not bad people, she also knows that whether intentionally or unintentionally, they can be very cruel.

And she doesn’t want to see them alone outside of class. A sense of sorrow goes through her to realise just how uncomfortable she now feels around them. They’d been such good friends when they’d met. Where did it go wrong?

“It’s nice to see you too,” she finally settles on. “What are you doing here?”

Georgina smiles at her then, exchanging a quick look withAminah. “We’re just here to pick up some things for our tea party in a few days.” A short pause where she bites her lip. “I…We would love it if you,” a glance at Eileen, “both of you could come.”

“Yes.”Aminah immediately adds, “Please say you’ll come. It’s been forever since we’ve seen you. We have so much to talk about!”

They both looked at with pleading eyes and anticipation colouring their faces. Ayla had a sinking suspicion that they were trying to compensate for something. She just didn’t know what. It was evident in the Aminah was fidgeting with her hands. Unbidden, a memory of them laughing together in class came to mind.

“Alright.” Against her better judgment, a part of her wanted to give them a chance. “Is that alright with you Nora?”

“A party?” A tilt of her head and then a big grin. “Sounds like fun. I’d love to come along.”

Ayla hadn’t realised she’d tensed until it left her in the next breath as a sigh of relief. She was already going against her better judgment, but she didn’t want to go there without Eileen. Irrationally, she felt like everything would be fine as long as Eileen stayed beside her.

“That’s great,” Georgina stated. “I’ll text you the details.”

“See you soon!” Aminah added as they started to walk away.

When they were out of sight, the smile on Eileen’s face slipped away. Before Ayla could register the change, two hands were gently grabbing her face and turning it from side to side. Even after her Eileen had finished her inspection, her hands didn’t leave Ayla’s face.

“Are you alright?” The concern lining those green eyes made her want to cry.

“I’m fine,” she gulped.

“Are you sure?” One of the hands moved to tuck a lock of her hair behind her ear, eyes flickering overAyla’sface.

Not wanting to lie to her, not being able to lie to her, Ayla could only shake her head. “I don’t want to talk about it right now,” she whispered.

Eileen didn’t seem to be satisfied by that, but she simply nodded, dropping her hands. For the oddest reason, Ayla felt a sense of loss as she moved away. She shook her head to disperse it almost immediately. It was probably nothing.

“Do you at least want to help me sort out this absolute mess of clothing?” Eileen shot at her as she picked up one of the shirts.

“It’s not that many clothes,”Ayla laughed as she took a seat beside her.

“To you maybe.” Snorting at her disgruntled tone, Ayla got to work helping her sort through the clothes.

It didn’t take long as they’d already somewhat decided which clothes would be kept when Eileen had been changing. But Ayla still tried to convince her that the teal maxi dress was one to keep. Huffing when Eileen shot her down by saying that there were already enough dresses.

You could never have enough dresses in Ayla’s opinion, but she relented since this was Eileen’s wardrobe and she was paying for it. By the time they were finished, they’d managed to half the pile. Some of which she was sad to see go. Oh well. She could always come back and buy some of them for her as a birthday gift. That or make something better.

As they were walking out after paying, clothing safely secured in Eileen’s space bag and the price tag cut from the dress, a thought occurred to her.

“You do realise that this means Lenora Divine is here to stay as well, right?”

“Yes,” Eileen answered in an resigned tone. “And this one, just like the last, is absolutely your fault.”

“How is it my fault?” Ayla laughed, “You would have needed another identity obviously.”

“Maybe,” Eileen conceded, “but the name is entirely on you.”

Ayla hummed at that. “Perhaps, but,” she grinned, “at least I’m not the one who introduced themselves as a Knightwood. That’s sooo much worse.” And then she ran before Eileen could hit her with the brochure in her hand.

It wouldn’t hurt, but that didn’t mean she was going to risk it.

“Ayla!” She could hear the amusement in her voice even as she pretended to be annoyed and it made her giggle as she avoided her. “Why are you running?”

In a childish mood, Ayla simply stuck her tongue out at her, ducking behind the statue and spinning out of Eileen’s way. This went on for a few more minutes, where Ayla felt like she was a child again. Like they were back to being seven and running around the gardens of Eileen’s family home.

She didn’t have time to dwell on the nostalgia as Eileen suddenly came up in front of her and tackled her to the ground before proceeding to tickle her. They landed on a thick field of grass so it didn’t hurt at all.

“All right! I give,”Ayla huffed between laughs, “have mercy!”

“No,” Eileen poked her side before continuing her attack.

“Please!” Silent laughter kept her from saying any more.

“Oh all right,” She shook her head and flopped down on the ground beside her.

They stayed there for a couple more minutes, simply enjoying the peace. Ayla was glad for it since it allowed her to have time to catch her breath. The clouds drifting through the sky added to the peace. She knew there was still some more supplies Eileen wanted to buy, but for now she was more than content to stay exactly where she was.

0