Chapter 24
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The night had been going so well. Even when Eileen had left her to go looking for her lead, Ayla had been content to stay and talk to some of the other guests. On any other day, Ayla would probably have been more alert, with Eileen out of reach, but she was comfortable in the moment.

Making small talk with the people around her wasn’t exactly difficult, she’d done it a thousand times before. No. It was just that she didn’t quite know what to say to fill the awkward silence that descended when they ran out of topics to speak about. So, eventually she resorted to periodical hums instead.

Every once in a while her eyes wandered over to Eileen, taking note of her position before reengaging with the conversation. It was odd. Not that she was seeking out Eileen, that was normal, but the feeling on dread building in Ayla’s stomach the longer she stayed away.

She tried to ignore it, but it would not relent. A feeling of foreboding that the peace around her was a false calm before the storm. It was ridiculous of course. What could possibly hurt her with Eileen close?

The conversation around her was buzzing, somehow bolstered by the extravagance of the room now. Yet despite the animation of the people around her, Ayla felt herself slowly disassociating from the conversation. She couldn’t make her mind focus on the words.

Not that it was particularly dull or anything of the sort. But, if she were to be honest, these sorts of parties really weren’t her scene. She supposed that may be why her circle of friends was tragically small.

Aminah and Georgina certainly hadn’t helped matters. Ayla’s lips pressed into a thin line at the thought of them, an unexpected pang in her chest. She shook it off and hoped she hadn’t done so externally as well.

So what if she tended to feel exhausted by parties? That was no reason to speak like they did. It was what Eileen had said when Ayla had told her they thought she was odd for wanting to avoid going to them.

Ayla hadn’t told her about the rest. Both because it made her feel ashamed to admit aloud and because it would only make Eileen angry. But, a hypocritical part of her wanted to tell Eileen about it any way. She’d know what to do.

But no. She forced that thought back. Not the time for it. She didn’t need them anyway. She had Eileen. And that was enough.

Eileen who was currently talking to the general her mother had been pestering her about. Ayla’s eyes squinted as she looked at them, head tilting at the tension around them. What was that about?

She took a sip of the juice in her hand as she turned her attention to the window. The stars were bright tonight. Maybe if the party ended early, she could convince Eileen to go stargazing with her.

“Hello young lady.”

Ayla almost jumped out of her skin as her head snapped towards the source of the voice. She had to force herself not to wince when she saw who it was. Garfield Holloway. Her mother had told her to stay away from him.

Still. “Hello Mr Holloway, how are you?”

“Very well.” He smiled and Ayla felt a cold shiver go down her spine at the way his gaze went over her body at the same time. “What is a beautiful young woman doing all alone?”

“I…” Ayla cleared her throat, fighting past the urge to flee. “I was just admiring the stars. It’s a beautiful night.”

“That it is.” His eyes seemed to be glinting with a ominous light. “I could accompany you outside to watch them.”

She could feel her smile become strained. “I’m alright in here thank you.” It was better to remain within sight and in a crowd.

“I insist.” He smiled again in a way Ayla could only describe as sleazy. “Perhaps another time?”

Was this man insane? Ayla had to stop herself from simply hitting him with the nearest object. He was old enough to be her father or even her grandfather! A feeling of nausea settled in her stomach as she struggled to remain polite.

Holding a smile was the best she could do. She couldn’t make her mouth work to give a response to the ridiculous suggestion. If he weren’t a prominent businessman in Teodes, she’d be more inclined to give him a piece of her mind.

But when he simply gave her another sleazy smile, Ayla’s resolve starts to dwindle. Surely her mother wouldn’t be too mad if she punched him? Actually, now that she was thinking on it, she didn’t think she’d get into too much trouble for it either.

It would just…make things difficult. That was what made her hesitate. Her mother may have overcome the illness, but Ayla still found herself reluctant to add stress to her.

“Father!” A man ran up to them. “What are you doing over here?”

Holloway rolled his eyes. “No need to rush over Ollie, I was just speaking to this young lady.”

The look his son gave him conveyed that there were a lot of reasons for him to rush over. But the man stubbornly dismissed the look with a flippant wave of his hand and turned the smirk back to Ayla. She had to suppress another shudder as she stepped back.

“I should really be going.” She took a step back.

“No don’t go. This conversation was just getting interesting.” Her smile turned shaky when he took a step closer.

“Father,” his son reprimanded as he moved to take her hand.

She tried to take another step back discreetly but it was pointless. Even though she could hear his son trying to get him to step back, it didn’t seem it was working. Ayla felt frozen in place as his fingers brushed over her hand. The sense of dread building to a climax.

Only they never touched.

“I would advise against that sir.” Ayla felt her body relaxing. A sigh of relief escaping her mouth as Ei- No wait. She wasn’t supposed to think of her as that in this get up. As Kiran covered her from Holloway’s view.

From where she was standing she could see him holding onto Holloway’s wrist. A smile on his face, which looks vaguely threatening. Holloway actually gulps at Kiran’s intimidating presence.

He recovers fast, standing a little straighter as he tries to return the stare with a steady one of his own. “And who would you be?”

Kiran gives him a charming smile, green eyes glinting with warmth as he lets go of his wrist and holds a hand out for him to shake. “Kiran Knightwood. And you are?”

Holloway looks a little taken aback, hesitating before shaking Kiran’s hand warily. There’s a wary look in his eyes that wasn’t there before. “Garfield Holloway, Owner of Holloway Enterprises.”

“Hm.” Kiran turns his head in consideration, “You make those long cloaks with warming charms, correct?”

“Yes.” His eyes seem to glint in happiness. “We’re a big deal so- Ouch!”

“Oh sorry,” Eil- Kiran says with a sheepish expression. “I must have squeezed too hard.” He shakes his head. “I’ve heard about your goods, but I still don’t know why you were so close to my date.”

She has to cough into her hand to hide the laugh that threatens to burst out as Kiran emphasises the words ‘my date’. It immediately makes Holloway’s ears turn red as he finally takes a step back. Unfortunately it’s not enough for him to leave.

“You shouldn’t have left the lady unattended,” he says in a self-righteous tone. It sounds both embarrassed and reprimanding to Ayla’s ears. “Who knows what sort of person could have come up and taken advantage of her.”

“Thank you for your concern, but I believe Ayla’s more than capable of filtering the wrong sort by herself.” The words are polite, but the hardness in Eileen…Kiran’s eyes is unmistakable.

“Are you calling me the wrong sort!?” The man clearly doesn’t know when to quit.

“Not at all.” Kiran gives him a polite smile, “I’ve said nothing of the sort.”

“You are clearly degrading my character! What kind of hovel did you come from, boy?”

You don’t need anyone to degrade your character when you do it so well yourself. Ayla has to bite her tongue not to say the words aloud, feeling bewildered by the old man’s stubbornness. Everyone and their mother knew he was a shame\less flirt who had no self-awareness.

Luckily her date had more tact and didn’t rise to the taunt. Instead, he smiled politely and pinned the businessman with a hard look. “Sir. It’s highly uncouth to act like this in public. With all due respect please remember your manners.”

“You-”

“And kindly step away from the lady.” Kiran tilts his head up slightly and gives him a meaningful look. “In case you were not aware, you are making her uncomfortable.”

“Well, I never! You-”

“Now.” The smile is still on his face, but it turns slightly threatening. “While I’m still asking politely.”

Holloway looks like he wants to protest, mouth opening to give a reply. But the moment he goes to speak Kiran’s eyes narrow on him in warning and he gulps. His eyes wander over the way Kiran is standing and he takes a step back. From where she is, Ayla doesn’t know what it is that he sees, but it must be threatening because he simply nods and walks away.

She breathes a sigh of relief when he’s faraway and doesn’t turn back to look at them. Thank gods Eileen…Kiran was here. Ayla knew that if she didn’t want to slip up and make a mistake, she’d have to get used to thinking of Kiran as a man and not Eileen in disguise, but it was harder than expected to remember that. At least, her eyes looked over her, the way she looked would make it a little easier.

“That was so cool!” Oliver Holloway steps forward, looking practically starstruck. “I’ve never seen someone speak to my father like that!” He shakes his head. “Most people just threaten to have him arrested or start an argument.” His lips press thin as he turns to face Ayla and bows slightly. “I apologise for his behaviour and my useless to stop him.”

Her lips twitch at the display and she shakes her head in amusement. “It was not your fault, so there’s no need to apologise. I understand that it can be difficult to reprimand your parents.” She couldn’t exactly blame him when it was clear he was sincere.

Oliver rubbed an embarrassed hand over the back of his neck as he gave her a sheepish smile. Then he turns around to meet amused green eyes and holds out a hand. “Oliver Holloway, it is very nice to meet you Mr Knightwood.”

“Likewise.” The smile Eileen gives him is warmer than the one she gave his father.

The man looks like he wants to say something but a clang from behind him stops him in his tracks. They all look back to see Garfield Holloway almost run into an ornament on his way back. His expression is solemn when he turns back to face them. “It seems my task is yet to be completed,” he hesitates, “might I speak to you another time?”

“Of course,” Eileen gives him a comforting smile, “I look forward to it.”

His shoulders relax as he beams with happiness. “Thank you! I look forward to our next conversation.” He turns back to Ayla. “Sorry again for my father.” Then he’s off.

Ayla has to stifle a chuckle as she turns to face Eileen. “Well, he was cute.”

Unfortunately, the words do nothing to relax the frown on Eileen’s face. “I thought I told you to stay out of trouble.” She shakes her head. “This isn’t staying out of trouble Ayla.”

“It was not my fault!” She tells her…him. “He just came up to me out of nowhere.”

Maybe it was a little childish to pout, she certainly wasn’t known to do so, but being in Eileen’s presence made her feel safe to do so. A small part of her mind remarked that if anyone at the academy saw her, they wouldn’t recognise her. She shook it off as her face scrunched in indignation.

“Alright. I’m sorry.” Ayla felt her annoyance fade as Eileen’s gloved hand ran over her hair in a comforting gesture. “I was just worried.”

“Apology not accepted.” She poked out her tongue in another childish display, “you’ll just have to make up for it some other way.”

Eileen…Kiran’s eyes narrowed. “You’re just looking for an excuse to use me as a dress up doll again.”

A grin replaced the pout immediately. Guilty as charged.“Well, it turned out good today, didn’t it?”

The navy-blue suit with undertones of gold and green Kiran was wearing with the caped sleeves was a great fit, if she did say so herself. It had taken her a while to make, but it had been worth it to see how it complimented her eyes. Ayla’s eyes sparkled as other clothing designs went through her head. This was going to be fun!

“Alright,” she sighed, “I suppose I should just accept my fate at this point.”

Although the tone of her voice was exasperated, the fondness Ayla could see in her eyes made her beam. Yay! Eileen really was the best. She could design both male and female clothes for her and they’d both look great. Ayla really was glad to have her.

“Speaking of fates and clothes,” Ayla’s eyes turned to the clock in the corner, “Shouldn’t you be heading out?”

“Is it that late already?” Kiran’s eyes turned to the clock as well, a frown on his face. “Will you be alright?”

“I’ll be fine. It’s not like you’ll be gone for that long anyway.”

Eileen hummed but another glance at the wall had her nodding. “Just make sure to stay in a crowd so no more creeps come up to you.”

“I will.” Ayla quickly shooed her off and went back to the group she was with before.

Truth be told, if she’d been asked if she were okay earlier, the answer would be no. She’d never had a man come up to her so brazenly and then refuse to leave. She had never stayed out in the open long enough for it to be a problem. It had scared her.

But the moment Eileen had asked her it, she didn’t feel so afraid anymore. As childish or naïve as it was, it felt like everything would be alright. So she could stay on her own for a little while as she changed and came back.

A grin spread on her face at the thought. If these people were obsessed enough with Kiran to ask about him every time she started a conversation, what would they think about Lenora Divine. She had to stifle a laugh as the image came to mind.

They wouldn’t know what to do with her. Ayla could already feel her mood getting better. Oh. This was going to be fun.

0