Chapter 20 – Junior Uncle
151 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

”I suppose that's why you were so confident in helping me.” Su Jing remarked as she held the small green particle in her hand, thinking how harmful it was to Yawen. Didn't that mean that when it was raining, it was the worst period for him? His Earth root was pressured by the overflowing Wood Qi!

He even stood with her and planted spiritual Wood Qi flowers. Su Jing felt quite bad for putting him through so much for herself.

Perhaps sensing her thoughts, Yawen sighed.

"Do not feel bad for my well-being. Although my body is weak, it's only nocive when I cultivate these Qis unproperly. Just staying around doesn't do anything. I've long ago passed the Qi Refinement period and I am not as sensible.”

Su Jing looked at him.

”Then what is your level now?”

”Middle Core Formation ”

Su Jing's eyes widened in amazement.

"That's incredible! You are really powerful!”

So that's why Chu Bingyi called him Junior Uncle! He was actually higher than him in terms of cultivation.

Yawen shook his head, embarrassed at her excitement.

”I guess I am. Yet, if I were to fight a peak foundation-building cultivator, I might not win that easily.”

For Su Jing, it was still impressive! Some people never even got to ascend to the Qi refinement - Core Formation was for her already with one step in immortality!

”Senior brother's abilities are still strong. I doubt people would carelessly fight you without a good reason.”

Yawen half smiled, not commenting further on.

”Rather than my cultivation path, I think yours needs now more attention.”
He put the inked brush sideways as he searched for something on the messy table.

After a moment, he presented a small book to Su Jing, "This guide is for you. It focuses on basic cultivation techniques, especially centred around Wood Qi.”

Su Jing stiffened, not expecting to suddenly receive a study material. She was used to Yawen's talismans, which would auto-read in her mind, but anything else was difficult for her to comprehend due to her poor reading skills.

Yawen only smiled like usual, not finding a problem in what he was doing. He signalled her to take it and have a look. Su Jing could only comply and not think that much about it. She put the slick book in front of her and quickly browsed it, her expressions getting more and more confused with each page she was seeing.

It only contained paintings, intricately drawn using black ink.

”Did you make this?” she asked, impressed by the quality of the illustrations.

Yawen did not hit her as someone good at drawing, yet these sketches showed signs of a style she also saw in his calligraphy.

”Yes, though it is incomplete. It contains basic cultivation techniques, focusing on Wood Qi. It should help you get started.”

Grateful for the guide, Su Jing carefully skimmed through the pages, examining the detailed images and instructions. It was clear that Yawen had tailored it specifically for her, as the paper was also adjusted for her to understand.

He showed her some sections, further explaining things.

Su Jing felt her heart warm, aware that although Yawen had a ton of work duties, he still managed his time to help her.

”Thank you, senior brother.”

This time felt like the more genuine time when she called him brother.

” I wanted to begin with this tomorrow, but since you are already here, with the Wood Qi unlocked, it would be perfect to get you accustomed.”

Yawen flipped the pages with the book upside down as if he knew its contents perfectly. The first pages described a simple breathing style. It was needed to calm and ease the meridians so the Qi could flow more efficiently into the dantian - at least, that was what Su Jing thought it was from the images.

This required a lotus position. She quickly positioned herself as such, being corrected from place to place by Yawen.

"Try breathing like this, and you'll gradually feel the Wood Qi flow more smoothly.”

At first, Su Jing did not understand what was different from the usual breath, but soon she felt a subtle change in the surroundings. She couldn't pinpoint exactly how, but the air around her seemed to respond to the flow of her breath, and the tiny green sparkles became more vibrant. Rather than sticking suffocatingly to her like last time, now she felt more in control.

Yawen observed her progress with a content expression.

"Good, you're making progress. Now, let's move on to the meditation technique."

Involuntarily, Yawen's words made Su Jing feel good. It was the simplest thing in cultivation, yet she was doing it well on her first try! How could she not be happy.

He then guided Su Jing through the process of entering a meditative state, explaining how to focus. The whole thing felt strange for her to do with someone watching her so close, so Su Jing failed many times to seriously calm her mind and concentrate.

”I am sorry, I tend to get easily distracted, ” with one hand on her forehead she tried to mask her embarrassment.

”You need to balance those two. It takes time, so it is normal for you to be like this. You get better at it by practising.”

Su Jing nodded and closed her eyes, immersing herself again in meditation. The sound of heavy rain outside nibbled at her ears, yet with each breath she took, she was enveloped in an eerie silence.

Everything seemed to go well but her heartbeat got strangely loud. As a result, various thoughts and worries clouded her head - Yawen's illness, Feng Zhihaos's future arrival, Feng Huohua, and many others. She could only open her eyes as she was feeling overwhelmed.

For the rest of the time, Su Jing went back and forth between stabilising her thoughts and taking control of them. She was aware that it depended on her to learn so she didn't busy more Yawen, who had more papers on the table each time she woke up from her failed meditation.

Soon it was dark outside. The rain seemed to have long ago subsided, only the wind chime being heard in the night. This chime wasn't there previously so Su Jing understood that most probably Yawen put it there while she was meditating.

The chime was elegant and had beautiful wood-crafted butterflies on it, shining under the moonlight.

”What time is it now?”

Yawen lifted his eyes from the papers, meeting hers. He was standing in another place, by the window, the light from the lantern illuminating the book he was reading.

”In an incense of time, it should be midnight.” he said closing it.

Su Jing, feeling lightheaded, pressed her temples and closed her eyes, trying to alleviate the dull ache in her head. Yawen watched her silently and then rose, putting the book back on the shelf.

"A non-refined body tends to have it hard at first with cultivation methods. Are you alright? This residence has a spare room, so you can stay here tonight if you want," Yawen suggested, already going towards the door.

Su Jing nodded in agreement and got up from the table, but then remembered something important. ”But what about the medicinal bath?”
She almost forgot about it. Yawen crossed his arms as he waited for her to get ready.

” I believe you need to leave it for tomorrow morning. I am afraid you would faint in there because of the high stimuli.”

Sleeping might have been alright since she would have woken up immediately. But what if she faints and she is not aware of it? Su Jing walked behind Yawen and did not confront his decision.

Yawen brought her soon to a modest room in the annexe.

”Thank you,” Su Jing said, seeing him slightly nod at her, ”Senior brother should also go take a rest.”

He has been working non-stop since she came here. Yawen smiled and shook his head.

”Cultivators do not need sleep. I'll be fine.”

”I see,” she responded, ”So have a good night, senior brother.”

He nodded and left.

Su Jing looked at his figure going further away until he disappeared behind the corner. Left alone, she couldn't help but think how all this tiredness wouldn't have appeared at all if she was higher in cultivation. She sighed and closed the door.

Since the headache didn't seem to ease down, Su Jing turned around towards her bed, wanting to sleep. Yet, when she saw the sudden person on her bed Su Jing's eyes enlarged in surprise.

"Li Yuan, you scared me!" Su Jing whispered, glancing nervously at the closed door. Yawen should have already returned to his study room.

Li Yuan, however, remained unfazed. His expression was sombre, and he stood with a seriousness that caught Su Jing off guard.

"Since when were you here?" she asked, taking a good look at him.

Su Jing hasn't verified the bead, as it was improper to do that with Yawen in front of her. She took it out of her sleeve and hesitated to touch it too much.

"I've been here for a while," Li Yuan replied, his eyes fixed on the bead in Su Jing's hand.

He paused, staring at her curiously. Su Jing felt a bit uncomfortable with someone watching her so attentively. She crossed her arms - the awkwardness making her once again uncomfortable.

”That woman tried to follow you many times. Didn't you notice that?”

Su Jing scratched her head. She did not understand what he meant. "You mean Miss Feng Huohua?"

Su Jing knew that Feng Huohua was aware of her presence in the sect and wanted to use her against Yawen. But Li Yuan's comment confused her. Feng Huohua tried to meet her repeatedly? When? Su Jing only saw her once.

”I saw you two training together.” Li Yuan said.

What? She was almost all the time alone — Then it hit her.

Su Jing thought it was weird when Yawen suddenly called her to run around for "training".

Did Yawen put her to run up and down five times to annoy Feng Huohua who wanted to meet her?

Su Jing's eye twitched. Yawen has not mentioned at all about this!

Su Jing had unknowingly made it seem like she was teasing her deliberately!

Su Jing wanted to cry. She didn't intend to do that at all! She was just trying to train! How could she have known that a villainess was following her up and down?

No wonder Feng Huohua gave her that hateful look.

”Was that why you left me alone?”Su Jing asked, putting one hand on her forehead. Her headache now had gotten worse, multiplied by this sudden new problem. Feng Huohua really acted in the script! She probably wanted to find a weak point of hers.

That was what Feng Huohua wanted to do against Feng Zhihao, but each time she failed because the female lead always stood in her spiritual realm, well hidden. Su Jing wasn't that lucky, since Feng Huohua came exactly when Yawen wanted to joke around with her!

Li Yuan did not respond, but something told her she was right! This vicious ghost! Couldn't he have possibly said something since they were pals in this sect?

Su Jing needed to hold on until Feng Zhihao arrived. Once her sister was there, Feng Huohua would only care about her and leave Su Jing alone.

”It doesn't matter now.”, Su Jing said, not wishing to make her tiredness worse, ”Next time, try to not stay too long away from me.”

She will not let him easy for leaving her in the tiger's mouth.

Li Yuan gave her a side glance as she changed out of her outerwear angrily. She put the clothes on a chair and then sat on the bed beside Li Yuan, feeling how her body was relaxing now that she lay down. She was really tired and did not wish to further think about Feng Huohua. It was the first day and the villainess already gave her so many headaches!

Li Yuan continued to look at her. She understood that he was looking at the bead, as it was still in her hand.

”You should go meditate too in the bead. No one can disturb you here.”
Su Jing said to Li Yuan as she yawned, standing with her back towards him. She put herself below the covers and kept the bead in her palm, wanting minimum protection - although it was impossible for someone to trespass. This residence was highly protected by Elder He Ning.

In a few moments, she fell asleep, the silence washing over instantly in the room.

Li Yuan stood in the silence, trailing his sight towards the window. Beyond, the majestic Youming Peak sparkled in the distance, its allure heightened by the disciples still diligently practising their martial arts.

He closed his eyes, a subtle furrow forming on his brow. The wind outside intensified.

Slowly, Li Yuan faded away from the room, retreating to the safety of the bead. He took a final glance at Su Jing, who was still soundly asleep, before disappearing completely.

 

Hi!

First of all, thank you for the 10k views! It wouldn't have been possible without you guys! Although my start here had been kind of rocky, I am happy with my progress. I still have many things to learn about writing but now I feel more confident with my skills. I will probably change the beginning of the book shortly since it is kind of bad, but for now, I will concentrate on updating the series!

Secondly, thank the readers who gave me ratings, and comments! The comments and ratings came exactly when I wasn't feeling that motivated about updating anymore. 

I hope to be able to finish this story — though I predict it will be a long one. Till now I have not even written 2% out of my outline. 🥲 I will be happy to see you guys still sticking around!

 

P.S. Check my Patreon if you want to see some of my sketches/drawings with the series + some random things (you do not have to pay)! I still need to practice my drawing skills, but it might give you an idea of how I personally view my characters. 🥰

 

 

6