Chapter 25 – Bullies
112 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As soon as Yawen gave the start signal for the second stage, everyone began to sort out the spiritual plants, Feng Zhihao included.

Su Jing watched her very interested, not losing to notice how the cultivator besides was constantly talking. Because he was whispering and the crowd was restless, Su Jing couldn't understand what he was saying.

But judging by his disgusted facial expressions, Su Jing was sure this man was denigrating Feng Zhihao! She was constantly indifferent, this only irking him more in provoking her.

Su Jing would have wanted to say he was an idiot, but if she remembered right, he was the one who got the third place on the previous test. 

Obviously, that was thanks to the fact that Feng Zhihao was absent - if the order was kept like in the story, he would have been the fourth. Feng Zhihao was in first place instead of Xu Mengzhui, but now all this changed because she was late!

This other contestant continued yapping as Feng Zhihao rapidly sorted out her pile of spiritual and poisonous herbs. Su Jing was baffled by her speed and even more at the ridicule she received from the public. 

Everyone apart from Su Jing thought that Feng Zhihao was only pretending and deliberately doing that so she could show off.

This a totally wrong conclusion as it was clear Feng Zhihao was a skilful doctor. So, it didn't take long before Feng Zhihao completed this part, leaving all the other contestants behind.

As she began writing the solutions on the first preliminary test she was additionally given, the third-ranked boy seemed to go aflare as he shouted, ”An ugly trash like you should give up already!”

Ah, the usual bully line, Su Jing thought.

He was raging while Feng Zhihao did not even give him a glance. Su Jing frowned, and as she skimmed towards them, she wondered why he was even doing that if he didn't concentrate on his work. Wouldn't he be the truer trash? 

Lost in her thoughts, Su Jing felt how something was poking the left side of her face.

She looked left and right, trying to make sense of the sudden sensation. 

Was she hallucinating?

Su Jing almost thought she had gotten crazy - that until her eyes landed on a figure staring straight at her.

Quickly, she crouched down. Her heart raced as this happening made her panic.

”Why is she looking at me?!”

That damn Fen Yulei!

Su Jing was staying at a considerable distance from the main stage of events, like the cannon fodder that she is, yet, for some reason, Fen Yulei was aware of her presence! 

”Did she sense my Qi energy?”

Su Jing was kneeling on the ground, trying to not mess up her dress. 

Fen Yulei was making signs towards Su Jing to show herself through the open balcony, but as if in hell would she listen to her. Su Jing crawled away from the window, trying to exit the room. 

Fen Yulei was a tough nut to crack, especially now that she was a big shot around here. Who knows what Fen Yulei would do if she found out about an unexpected individual like herself at Zhulin Peak. Fen Yulei liked to be in control, and Su Jing was definitely throwing a wrench in her plans.

After all, she thought she had Yawen on his own.

Su Jing went down the floor and reached the small hallway, where some people could be seen. They looked at her curiously, and their attire told her they might be outer disciples.

Ignoring their stares, Su Jing scanned her surroundings, spotting the door she had entered with Yawen. However, she couldn't use it without facing the contest stage. So, she opted for the opposite direction, leading into a long corridor that curved around a corner. 

Su Jing hoped to blend in and avoid drawing attention.

She peeked into open doors, seeing groups of disciples drinking and betting on the contest. Su Jing understood that these rooms were rented by the rich disciples, who wanted to watch in private the happenings outside. Su Jing quickly passed by them, not wanting to get herself distracted. 

As she walked, the noise from the contest stage grew louder, making it difficult for Su Jing to focus. She glanced around nervously, half expecting Fen Yulei to appear out of thin air. 

Then, without warning, she collided with something solid. Su Jing fell on her back and winced at the sudden impact. 

A muffled sound was heard, and as Su Jing too lamented at her own sore butt, she realised that, in fact, it was a person who had crashed into her!

The disciple had his hair kept messily in a high ponytail. They accidentally locked their eyes, confusion being easily read in both of their faces.

”Oh, gosh! I am so sorry! Are you alright?” The man quickly collected his papers on the ground, crumpling some with his hand as he took them. 

Su Jing got up on her knees, feeling sore all over.

Is this man human? Su Jing wondered, feeling like she crashed into a brick wall. She again looked at the disciple, but he had such a tin body it was questioning how he even sent Su Jing flying.

Embarrassed, Su Jing apologized as well. "It's alright, I wasn't looking where I was going."

She leaned and collected a few of his things that fell to the ground, wanting to leave this situation as soon as possible. 

But as she again glanced behind her, her heartbeat quickened as she saw Fen Yulei strolling down the hallway. Su Jing, for a second, did not know what to do.

When Su Jing was on the point of giving back the papers and running again, quick steps were heard passing by Su Jing and the disciple.

"Senior sister Fen! What a pleasant surprise to see you here!" a shout was heard, and Su Jing shrank. She looked back from the corner of her eye and saw the previous group of rich outer disciples greet Fen Yulei. 

Fen Yulei gave them a glance, obviously not having the mood to entertain them, ”Junior sect brothers, what brings you all here?” she asked, posing again as the sweet older sister.

One of them stepped up, being more confident, ”We wanted to congratulate you. The Sect Master really made a good decision choosing you as our representative.”

The disciples exchanged glances, a silent agreement passing between them to impress Fen Yulei. 

"Yes, yes!" another chimed in, nodding vigorously. ”We watched you from the start, and senior sister was truly amazing! That ugly woman should really be thankful to you!”

Fen Yulei's lips curled into a faint smile as she observed them.

"Haha," she delicately laughed, her expression inscrutable, ”I appreciate your kind words.”

Su Jing observed them from the sidelines, not surprised that Feng Zhihao was included in their discussion. Fen Yulei looked like not want to comment on the insult the outer disciple threw at Feng Zhihao, taking the compliments shamelessly.

Deep concentrated on their words, Su Jing was startled when she felt the things in her hand being pulled. She looked in front, and the disciple was embarrassed too, as he made a sign towards the papers in her hand.

”Thank you for helping, senior sister, but I really need those papers back quickly. Could you...?" he trailed off, nodding towards her hand.

Realizing she had been holding onto his things, Su Jing awkwardly returned them, getting back on her feet. She extended her unhurt hand towards the disciple, wanting to help him get up too.

The fallen disciple looked up at her, surprise evident in his eyes. Despite the embarrassment and the bruises from the fall, there was a flicker of gratitude in his gaze. "Thank you," he repeated, accepting her help.

Before she could get him up, the excited gasps of the crowd were heard from the main hall, making everyone pause in their actions. 

Su Jing couldn't see what happened- but something nudged her that it had something to do with Feng Zhihao!

Fen Yulei gazed with a frown towards the sounds. 

"Well, carry on with your duties. I trust everything will be ready according to our sect's standards," Fen Yulei said with a nod before gracefully going back, her crimson hair trailing behind her.

Su Jing exhaled a sigh of relief, happy she escaped, once again, a dangerous meeting event. 

As Fen Yulei disappeared from view, the outer disciples turned their attention towards them. Su Jing's happiness stagnated, not knowing how to act when so many eyes were on her. 

So she chooses to face the fallen disciple, finally helping him get back on his legs. His palms were rough to the touch, and now that he was up in front of her, Su Jing noticed that he wasn't that tall.

”This disciple is called Chun Wanyu. I hope I did not offend senior sister.” he leaned his head ridiculously low towards Su Jing, making his ponytail flow sideways.

Su Jing felt he had done too much, so she signalled him to stop his actions, ”Brother Chun Wanyu shouldn't worry. I am alright.”

”Chun Wanyu, finally, you are here!”

Turning around, Su Jing saw the group of disciples she had listened to, understanding that the previous confident dude was the one who talked.

He had a disgusting grin on his face, appearing haughty. Su Jing really hated these kinds of people - much more when she saw them recently wave their tails at Fen Yulei. 

Before she could think of what to say, the disciple passed by her, cornering Chun Wanyu.

Chun Wanyu tried to step back, but the arrogant disciple blocked his path with a smirk.

"We had to wait a ton of time for you! Don't you know there are deadlines for us to meet? Thankfully, we got to meet sister Fen, if not, we really would've lost our time with you.”

Su Jing listened to his words, immediately getting into what situation she got stuck in - a classic bully scene!

This was exactly why Su Jing did not want to leave outside. This place was full of bullies, left and right! 

Su Jing thought fast of a solution, looking at their interaction, not wanting to partake in a fight. Regardless, when she saw Chun Wanyu, it was clear he was an old victim of those people.

The people behind were laughing, their smirks widening into malicious grins. 

”Now give those to me.” the mean disciple forcefully took the papers from his hand.

During all this time, Chun Wanyu was standing trembling, clearly too scared to retort with anything. Seeing him like that, Su Jing couldn't just stand by and watch Chun Wanyu being bullied, yet confronting those aggressors filled her with dread. She really wanted to leave this place!

”These should better be done perfectly.” The man threatened, checking each page with boredom.

Chun Wanyu nodded, keeping his head down, ”I verified them three times, Brother Lin shouldn't worry.”

Su Jing looked at them and did not know how to intervene. She was standing on the sidelines like a third party, and it was uncomfortable to see Chun Wanyu bullied like that.

 

Hi guys. Sorry for missing a whole week. Lately, I've been so tired of everything ... I don't know how much is reflected in my writing, but I wasn't feeling that good mentally. 

🩷

Of course, thank you to those still reading. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to edit the previous chapters...

This chapter may feel a bit shorter since I changed the content at the last moment with another scene and didn't have enough time to write it fully. The next chapter will be a bit longer.

5