Chapter 16 – The male lead, Shen Junwu
186 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Su Jing hadn't managed to get much sleep. The room felt stuffy, making it difficult for her to rest. 

She paced around the bedroom, thinking Yawen or some elder would eventually check on them. However, as much as she stood up, no one came.

Was she worrying for nothing? 

In a sect like this, where the reputation of the Tianhui Sect loomed large, any association with ghosts, vengeful or not, carried a negative connotation. The mere thought of potential troubles with such prestigious people heightened her unease.

As these contemplations lingered, she drifted into a light doze, sensing the strain on her body. 

Her sleep wasn't that long, though. 

A knock on her door disrupted her rest. 

Without hesitation, she hastily threw on an outer garment and went towards the entrance, not wanting to take too long to get ready.

Of course, she found there no one else but Yawen.

"Oh?” he raised his eyebrows as he first saw her, forgetting to salute, ”What happened to you? Your face looks as if you've seen a ghost."

Yawen poked her cheek as he talked, appearing in a good mood.

The red sky was tinged behind him.

His hair, clothes, and even the brush on his belt were all in the same state, indicating that he stood awake and likely spent the time cultivating.

So he didn't sense Li Yuan.

She unconsciously breathed out. Even so, Su Jing felt her eye twitch, surprised at how his careless insight unintentionally hit the nail on the head. Was this the knack of a future spiritual vein? 

For some reason, now she felt weird talking to him knowing what the ghost said.

She brushed off the fingers prodding her cheeks.

"Well, good morning to you too, senior brother," Su Jing muttered, rubbing her eyes. She had risen too suddenly, and now a pressure feeling clouded her head.

But then, as a sharp pain stung her hand, Su Jing remembered something important. The wound from last night was still there!

Quickly, she tried to hide it and keep her calm. But it was too late. Yawen noticed her injury.

”Oh? Are you ok? When did you get hurt?"

He looked closely at her wound and gently pressed her hand, accidentally causing more blood to come out. Su Jing hissed, pulling her arm away.

 ”I accidentally cut myself with my dagger. It's not that big of a deal. "

Yawen looked at her and then sighed, searching through his sleeves. He took again her hand, more gently, giving her an ointment.

” You should better treat your wound. Since you didn't cultivate, you are more prone to having infections.”

Su Jing took the warm recipient, somehow feeling that Yawen was nudging her like a child. She thanked him, putting the medicine on her wound.

”Thank you.”

She applied the medicine under Yawen's eyes, marvelling at how it instantly healed. And Feng Zhihao was able to do such magical pills and ointment without effort? No wonder medicine was so appreciated by cultivators!

”This matter aside, at least the medicinal bath looks to have done some effects. I can sense your presence more clearly now. Even your eyes are sparkling.”

The sunlight played through his hair, casting a gentle shadow over his face. Su Jing cleared her throat, feeling uncomfortable under his intense gaze. His eyes were the kind which looked like seeing through the depths of your soul.

"Yes, I feel much better. My body feels lighter." 

He nodded, his smile widening. 

"That's good to hear. We should get going then. There's something I want to show you."

Yawen turned around, signalling her to follow him.

Yawen started walking out of the courtyard, not waiting for Su Jing. In a panic, she hurriedly followed him, attempting to tie her hair into a single braid as she ran after him. 

”Senior brother, wait for me!”

Fortunately, she had changed into green attire before coming out to see him.

The slender bamboo shoots stood tall, swaying gracefully as the light breeze passed them. Su Jing trembled a bit as the coldness hit her, trying to keep pace with Yawen's speed.

Vertical shadows painted the ground, captivating her attention as she pursued behind him. This peak, as unimportant, was gorgeous thanks to all these plants and magical flowers. Was it because people here specialised in wood energies? 

Su Jing wasn't aware of Yawen's specific roots, but a gut feeling hinted at his exceptional talent. Even his biological sister, Yating, was an impressive wind cultivator. Surely, Yawen couldn't be any less remarkable, root-wise.

Yawen continued to slowly walk, halting in front of a small garden. The land appeared somewhat barren, with only a few plants timidly emerging from the upper ground. It differed from the one she had seen in her courtyard.

” We'll begin your training with easy tasks. You are still weak because of the poison and I can't have you force yourself.”

Su Jing nodded, knowing that martial arts would be too heavy of training for now.

”Do you want me to be your gardener?”

These plants looked withered - she would need to start anew everything! 

Yawen continued, putting both his hands on the cane.

"Yes, your wood root is the weakest, so I thought of introducing you to this type of Qi energy first. You may not be able to sense or see it directly, however, you'll be breathing it in your meridians and eventually get the hang of it when you first start cultivating. It's helpful for starters like you."

Su Jing nodded and understood that things must be taken steadily. Fast cultivation was something only people like Feng Zhihao or Bai Xiuying were able to do anyway.

”So what do I need to do?”

Yawen snapped his fingers, making two buckets appear out of thin air. Su Jing looked confused at them, Yawen putting one in her arms.

"Since you are still a mortal, the best thing for you to do is to water these plants first. There's a well nearby with spiritually enriched water. I'll guide you there, and you can later use it whenever you're in need.”

Su Jing caught the bucket, a bit unwilling. 

Yawen was prepared to joke with her again when a spiritual talisman suddenly appeared in front of him. 

Su Jing was startled, but that passed fast once she saw the ugly expression on Yawen's face.

”What the? What are those losers wanting to do?”

He sounded baffled, catching the paper and crumbling a corner in his hand. It looked like a text transmission mechanism since he got a letter appearing out of thin air. 

”Did something happen?”

Sensing the significance of the matter, Su Jing attempted to ask Yawen, considering that it must be of importance if it had managed to annoy him.

"Some annoying people don't know their place," Yawen responded swiftly, inscribing a response with his finger before tossing the talisman back into the sky. "I'm sorry, but I'll have to go and leave you alone for a second. They are waiting for me in the main hall."

Su Jing grasped that something must have occurred between the elders. Currently, Yawen stood as the highest-ranking disciple present, and with his master away, the responsibility fell upon him to attend to the tasks at hand.

”Sure, just take care.”

Yawen nodded to her, placing his cane on the ground before soaring towards the summit. Su Jing watched him until he disappeared into the distance, fascinated by the sight of someone flying so close to her.

Will she ever be able to do that?

Flying on a stick surely wasn't the most fun or safe idea.

Since Yawen was currently gone, Su Jing decided not to remain idle. She picked up the other bucket and crouched down to touch the plants. As Yawen had mentioned, she sensed nothing and saw only some withered flowers. 

The air felt heavy, carrying something beyond her comprehension. They desperately needed water, and Su Jing realized Yawen hadn't told her where to find the well.

"Agh, this man..."

Su Jing began to explore, searching for the water source used by these cultivators.

"He shouldn't mean that I have to climb up this peak, right?" Su Jing tightened her eyes, struggling to see what lay on the summit. 

This was the bottom of Master He Ning's peak, where it seemed his core disciples had chosen to stay. 

The lake separated this peak from the next one, which appeared grander even from Su Jing's distance. Their surroundings were adorned with numerous houses and architectural structures, hinting that probably an array master was standing there.

Zhulin Peak instead boasted a lush landscape with abundant plants and flowers. Even the bamboo seemed to assert its autonomy, forming a natural barrier to the outside world.

Su Jing glanced at the summit and then at the lake, deciding to fill her buckets with its water. Before doing so, she dipped her finger into the water, tasting it to check for saltiness. Satisfied that it was suitable, she began collecting the water.

Su Jing proceeded to water a few plants in the garden to test their response. To her shock, some of them grew at an astonishing rate, and she observed with wide eyes as they began to move. One particularly sticky plant entwined its leaves around Su Jing's leg, nearly startling her out of her wits.

Just what kind of garden was this? Or better said, what water was in that lake?

She threw the water back into the lake, not wishing to make all the plants to be like that.

Just how hard was any way to find a well? At least it was clear that it wasn't near the lake but somewhere more in altitude.

Carrying both buckets, Su Jing followed the path ahead, determined not to lose her way. 

The golden bamboo gradually gave way to black bamboo, their beauty captivating her. Some plants seemed to come alive, moving and clearing a path for her. 

The whole experience felt like stepping into a fairy tale.

In the end, she found the well, one that was protected by the bamboo's shadow as it was difficult to see. The well, crafted with aged stone, had a rustic charm that hinted at its long existence. Su Jing put the buckets close and approached looking down at its interior.

”Wow...”

The water was sparkling, giving a nice blue glow. 

So this was spiritual water?

Su Jing dipped the bucket into the well, using the handle. Once filled, she lifted it, the cool liquid gently sloshing within. Somehow, this water was more lightweight than the normal one.

She couldn't help but lean her head and take a sip, feeling how a warm current was caressing her stomach. It was so good, what! No wonder everyone wanted to get a spiritual spring.

Surprisingly, Zhulin Peak had one, a well-constructed one too. It was amazing she had the chance to see it!

Feng Zhihao also possessed a special high-level spiritual spring within her farming space. This unique spring played a pivotal role in enhancing her strength and expanding her meridians, allowing her to cultivate all roots simultaneously.

It was an incredible advantage, a remarkable gift for someone chosen by the heavens!

Su Jing filled another bucket and resumed her journey back to the garden. Unexpectedly, two peculiar sounds echoed from the sky. Glancing upward, she spotted two cultivators on their swords—a beautiful girl accompanied by a man. They moved with such speed that Su Jing couldn't discern their faces, only marvelling at the stunning elegance of their attire.

In the end, Su Jing dismissed the flying cultivators and returned to her garden. This time, she watered the plants with more composure, avoiding the failure of the first attempt. 

As a result, all of them blossomed beautifully, creating an exquisite view. Su Jing felt a sense of accomplishment, realizing that her efforts had indeed paid off.

She stood between the plants, trying to breathe in the qi that Yawen told her about. Although she didn't sense a significant change, the pleasant fragrance made the experience enjoyable enough for her to savour.

Not long after, Yawen reappeared, holding a small basket. Su Jing spotted him and waved enthusiastically, delighted that he had returned.

"Senior brother! You're back!"

Yawen descended from his cane and approached her, his eyebrows lifting in surprise as he observed the vibrant flowers.

"Good job! These plants look even livelier than when I take care of them."

With a casual wave of his hand, the plants shifted positions, allowing him to sit beside her. He then placed the food-filled basket between them. Seeing the delicious spread, Su Jing realized just how hungry she was.

”I thought I forgot something when I first came here. As the disciple canteen is quite far from our peak, it would be better for you to have your meals with us. You don't have to go all the way there.”

Yawen seemed to be in a good mood, unwrapping the small rice balls. Su Jing didn't comment further and took a few from the basket, being happy with their nice taste. 

As simple as it was, the food was enjoyable to be eaten with someone.

”Oh!” Yawen suddenly exclaimed, still with the food in his mouth, ”Did you have problems finding the well? I hope you didn't get lost since the roads are somewhat forky here. ”

Su Jing shook her head, chewing and shallowing the delicious rice.

”I found it easily. It was up the slope, besides the black bamboo.”

Yawen tilted his head as he looked towards her.

”Haha,” he chuckled, ”I guess I was right bringing you here.”

Su Jing didn't get what he meant, continuing to nibble on her food.

”The forest you see here was planted by the former master of this peak. He ascended a long time ago, and my master took care of it after that, almost too well that it increased too much in size. If you aren't that careful it's easy to get lost in it.”

Su Jing was always open to history lessons, more than ever about things she didn't know from the novel. Hearing that, she wasn't surprised since these bamboo surely weren't your usual deal, moving strangely like that. 

”Were the houses put here as a means of protection?”

Yawen nodded, not negating it.

” Even a place like Tianhui Sect grows its wolves. Our master felt that this was the perfect place for us to train peacefully.”

Su Jing understood that although the man at the root of selection rejected her, he was a good person to his disciples. Even the hater Yawen had the impression that he admired him. 

"After this forest, we have the medicinal pavilion cared for by Yazhu. She also oversees the alchemy room and herb gardens," Yawen explained, using a random bamboo branch to sketch a simple map on the ground. He pointed out the locations on the peak for Su Jing.

"The library is a bit farther away. It is on the other side of the mountain, along with the meditation and cultivation seclusion rooms. The meeting hall and the master's residence are up here. ”

Su Jing glanced curiously, noticing that this peak was just unimportant in the plot of Feng Zhihao. 

”The neighbouring peak is the same as this one?”

Su Jing looked at the massive and luxurious building she could see from her place, finding it again beautiful. However, once she saw the look on Yawen's face, she realised that things weren't that peaceful.

” That's Youming Peak, where Third Elder Ming resides with his disciples. You'll usually see his disciples flying over our peak since they're the farthest away from the central peak, where the lessons take place. He was the one I just had to see.”

Youming Peak?

Su Jing gasped.

Much later, when the female lead gains a foothold, the current master of Youming Peak will get to be on the verge of facing serious accusations. His peak would be dismantled, left in ruins.

The master will get stripped of his title because he dared to engage in a fight with Feng Zhihao, attempting to eliminate her! 

Elder Ming was that character known for his ill-tempered nature yet undeniable power, earning admiration despite engaging in unsavoury acts. He boasted a considerable number of disciples, all sharing his arrogant demeanour, finding pleasure in belittling those beneath them.

Feng Zhihao, undeterred by their arrogance, confronted each disciple, successfully provoking the master's ire. In the climax, it was discovered that Elder Ming had been distributing counterfeit medicinal pills. 

This revelation, coupled with a humiliating defeat at the hands of Feng Zhihao, resulted in him losing everything. Elder Ming later became an adversary, meeting his demise when the female lead gained even greater power.

Following Elder Ming's departure, the peak was closed down, eventually falling under the possession of the male lead upon his ascension to the void-breaking realm.

Yes, the one and only.

His name was Shen Junwu, the epitome of power and desirability, deemed the most perfect and sought-after man. Flawless in every aspect, he presented an ideal counterpart to the cold and enigmatic female lead, revealing his warm side only to her.

Initially shrouded in mystery, Shen Junwu didn't appear powerful at first, but it didn't take long for him to ascend to become the most formidable swordsman in the realm, possessing unrivalled strength. 

And, as for the inevitable cliché, he harboured a secret—he was a half-demon and, of course, the son of the mighty Demon King.

His journey intertwined with the female lead's as she cared for him during dark energy relapses, their love flourishing alongside his increasing power. 

Towards the conclusion, he teetered on the brink of becoming an uncontrollable devil, yet with the unwavering support of the female lead, he was rescued. 

Together, they achieved ascension to godhood, their love conquering all challenges.

6