Chapter 18 – A white lotus
156 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Su Jing had climbed up and down the mountain four times.

Although the air was rich in Wood Qi, the sudden bad weather seemed to force it down gradually, making it easier for her to climb.

This contradicted her knowledge about how water qi from storms nourished wood qi. The opposite was happening! 

Su Jing looked at the now grey sky, full of big clouds. It didn't look like it would rain. In fact, the air felt dry and without moisture. Su Jing took many breaths in, but nothing could be felt. 

Li Yuan wasn't there for her to ask either.

As she walked down the path, she spotted an apple tree nearby and picked a few apples. She took a big juicy bite and continued walking. The sky remained unchanged, except for a few lightning strikes that could be seen in the distance.

Su Jing looked thoughtfully in their direction, wondering whether someone was now ascending to a higher realm. Only those types of transformations were able to change the natural order in such a way.

The first person on her mind was, of course, Feng Zhihao!

But she couldn't be so close to the sect! She was still far away, possibly with the male lead.

So it could be only someone else - a side character that escaped Su Jing.

She meditated silently in the windy weather.

"I'm sorry, junior sister! Do you know where Elder He Ning is?" a voice suddenly spoke, startling Su Jing. She choked on the apple she had just bitten and coughed hard, feeling her throat burning.

”Oh, my! Are you alright? I didn't mean to startle you,” the woman said as she approached Su Jing, approaching her to check on her condition. Su Jing continued to cough harder and tried to back away, not wanting to make a worse fool of herself.

"No, no, I'm fine," Su Jing finally managed to say between coughs. She took a deep breath, regaining her composure. The woman seemed apologetic, giving Su Jing a worried look.

”I shouldn't have sneaked behind you like that. I didn't mean to." the woman said, looking earnestly at Su Jing.

Su Jing paused, observing the unexpected guest carefully.

She wore a pure purplish hanfu with gold accents here and there, giving her the air of a rich heiress. Pearls adorned her neck, and a few were woven into her hair, along with a jade hairpiece that added a cute attribute to her overall look.

"...Feng Huohua?!" Su Jing clamoured, covering her mouth in surprise.

Feng Huohua arched her eyebrows briefly before breaking into a bright smile.

"Oh, you recognize me!" Feng Huohua said, her voice friendly and warm. "Yes, I'm Feng Huohua, the first disciple from the Main Peak.”

She laughed elegantly with the corner of her sleeves over her mouth, like a truly heavenly fairy. She almost made Su Jing blind with her looks.

”Sorry again for startling you. I was just looking for Elder He Ning, and you seemed to be the only one around."

Su Jing could only try to adjust a comfortable expression, unsure how to feel about her request.

”Ah, but Elder He Ning is out of the sect.”Su Jing blabbered, evading her sight nervously as she put her hand behind the neck.

Out of everyone in the sect, she less expected Feng Huohua to suddenly pop her in this peak!

This was the damn villainess of the story. Feng Huohua! Feng Zhihao s third sister!

The big villainess who tried assassinating Feng Zhihao!

”And I believe I should be the one apologising. I was insensitive to call you like that, honoured disciple. ” Su Jing didn't hesitate to lean her head and seek forgiveness. 

This was surely not someone she could afford to offend!

If Feng Zhihao was the one who cured and helped humans in need, then Feng Huohua was the cause of them getting ill or dying. She didn't care about anyone, be they friends, family, or lovers —just herself.

That was ironic since the first premise of the story was how she stole Feng Zhihao's fiancé — Mu Xuming, in an act of "love".

Feng Huohua didn't give a damn about this man. More than that, she was disgusted by him and his actions. That wasn't a surprise - since she later threw Mu Xuming away when she found him useless in her pursuit to get rid of Feng Zhihao. 

Right now, she was a high-ranking inner disciple in the sect, the one who succeeded in grasping the attention of the sect master and almost all male disciples. A white lotus - playing everyone on her fingers.

That, of course, went till her sister, Feng Zhihao, made her appearance.

Feng Huohua fluttered her gorgeous eyes while adjusting the near of her sleeve. If Su Jing didn't have this knowledge, she could never have felt that this innocent lady was such a calamity.

" Oh, please, don't call me like that, junior sister!” she responded in the same manner, gasping worryingly, ” I may be a core disciple, but we must respect each other equally."

Su Jing looked at how Feng Huohua approached her much closer, throwing her off guard. She didn't know how to handle such a fast-forward person, who was also secretly dangerous.

Su Jing stammered in response, "I-I apologize, Senior Sister Feng. It's just... unexpected to see someone of your status here in the outer peaks."

She definitely didn't want to be caught in Feng Huohua's line of interest or as a wanna-be discarded pawn. If that happened, then she'll for sure go to the grave before Yawen does that!

”Maybe you should contact Elder He Ning through a talisman.”

Elder He Ning was supposedly away from the sect in pursuit of enlightenment. It wasn't a lie that he may not come soon back to the sect. Yawen previously told her that, however, she didn't wish to get herself too deep through the villainess's shady business.

"Ow, but I do not have his Qi Energy...Even Master tried calling him but he did not respond." Feng Huohua seemed disappointed. However, in the next second, she approached Su Jing, taking her hands and tightening them towards her chest. 

"I don't know if I can busy senior sister, but could you ask older brother Wen if he allows me to visit him? It's urgent and I need to talk to someone from Zhulin Peak. "

Su Jing felt how her hands were taken by the death sentence. Her request seemed at first innocent however how did she know she was Yawen's aquitance? 

And why wasn't she asking anything about her position here?

Su Jing couldn't only smile shyly at her, hiding her fears. 

"Senior Sister Feng, I don't know if he allows visitors. He is quite busy already. Why don't you go directly to him later?”

Although that wasn't nice of her to do, Su Jing was sure Yawen knew better how to handle such a hot potato. 

Feng Huohua had a troubled look.

"Sister, then would you accompany me? I feel a bit scared to go alone," Feng Huohua pleaded.

Definitely not! Su Jing thought. Yawen and Feng Huohua were two characters she did not want to meet at the same time. 

Su Jing looked at their joined hands, wanting to distance herself as much as possible. 

"That..."

Feng Huohua continued to tighten her grip on Su Jing's hands, her gaze imploring.

"Please, Sister. I would feel so much safer if you were there with me. I don't know who else to ask, and I heard you're close to older brother Wen. I promise it won't take much of your time."

Su Jing hesitated, feeling trapped in this unexpected situation. She didn't want to offend Feng Huohua, but at the same time, she was wary of getting involved in something beyond her control.

And where did she hear that? There should have been no one who knew that she was here, apart from Yazhu, Yawen and Yating!

Again, she was hella suspicious!

Before she could talk, the sky illuminated again because of lightning. Su Jing looked up and was startled when she saw someone drop towards them with speed on a sword. 

!

The wind fluttered his hair and clothes, making Su Jing clearly see that he was angry!

This sought troubles for her!

"Senior brother Chu!"

Feng Huohua's happy voice made Su Jing look guardly at the arrived man, not recognising him initially. He had the typical immortal look-alike, his clothes looking like that of a swordsman. 

Any man who was friends with Feng Linhua could only mean that he was stupidly possessive of her.

"Junior sister, I've searched for you everywhere! What were you doing here... "

The man stopped, looking for a second at Su Jing. She could see his good mood instantly souring.

Oh gosh...

"Who are you? You don't have a disciple's permission. Don't you know it's prohibited to enter the sector's inner quarters without one?"

"..."

Can't people leave her alone even for a second?

Su Jing cupped her hands.

"Greetings, honoured disciple! My name is Su Jing and I'm working in Zhulin Peak under Master Yawen. As you said, I am not a disciple. I am merely a simple mortal."

She couldn't lie about being a disciple since it would be easily found out!

The man scrutinised her harshly, his long sword shining under the sun's light. Su Jing couldn't help but find this sight threatening since she also saw a particular eye-catching pendant. 

Wasn't this the symbol of the famous Rule Disciples?

Her mood instantly took a nosedive.

Could she meet a worse person? No!

Now he might shoo her from the sect based on some useless puny rule!

While Su Jing condemned her fate, the man glanced at Feng Huohua, as if asserting the situation.

"Hua`er, do you know her? I didn't know of that man having suddenly a maid."

He totally ignored her words, asking and talking with Feng Huohua instead.

She gestured towards Su Jing with an air of casual introduction.

"Senior brother Chu, it's impolite of you to ignore her like that. She was kind enough to assist me when I needed some help."

Su Jing peeked from behind Feng Huohua, surprised that she sided so openly with her. The man, addressed as Senior Brother Chu, probed her further, however, his gaze was stern and unwavering.

"When she was just a humble mortal?" Senior Brother Chu raised an eyebrow, clearly sceptical. "It's against the rules for non-disciples to enter these areas. Are you sure she's not a spy or a troublemaker?"

Su Jing wanted to object, to clarify that she was indeed brought to Zhulin Peak by Yawen, but the words didn't easily come out. Senior Brother Chu's imposing presence made her feel uneasy. 

She felt that no matter what she said, he would dismiss her words without a second thought. 

Feng Huohua stepped forward instead, adopting a tone of diplomacy. 

"Senior brother, she truly has no ill intentions. Elder Brother Yawen took her under his care. Perhaps there's been some oversight in the rules, but I believe she poses no harm.”

Senior Brother Chu remained unconvinced, his gaze still piercing. 

"Rules exist for a reason, Hua'er. We can't afford to ignore them. I'll need to report this to the sect master and have her situation investigated."

God, this idiot! Su Jing thought. 

She felt that he acted like a cock now only to get to impress Feng Huohua. It was unfortunate that he failed to see that Feng Huohua seemed keen on talking to Yawen, and without Su Jing's help, she was bound to lose this chance. 

He was only angering the villainess!

The last thing Su Jing needed was an investigation into her presence at the sect. She tried to think of a way to explain herself, but the stern expression on Senior Brother Chu's face didn't give her much hope.

Feng Huohua, however, wasn't ready to let things take a turn for the worse. She placed herself between Su Jing and Senior Brother Chu, her eyes pleading.

"Senior brother, please. Su Jing is a kind-hearted person! It would be a great misunderstanding if she were to face consequences. I'm sure we can find a solution that won't involve my master."

”...” Su Jing was sure she didn't do anything more than say two sentences.

Senior Brother Chu sighed, relenting a bit under Feng Huohua's persistence. "Hua'er, you've always had a soft spot for those in need. Fine, I'll hold off on reporting for now, but she must leave the inner quarters immediately."

”That would be unnecessary!” Feng Huohua quickly refuted him, ”We'll only trouble her! Why don't we go all three together to Elder Brother Wen? I am sure he'll explain things thoroughly.”

She really didn't give up till she got what she wanted. Su Jing was speechless and now was sure that Feng Huohua only intended to use her to reach Yawen.

She took back her thoughts about her being an innocent lady. It was quite obvious she was a full-bloomed white lotus!

The man paused, this time fully towards Feng Huohua.

”That... Uncle might not wish for us to disturb him. You know he has his hands full with the medicinal contest.”

”But junior sister Su is someone close to him! We will complicate things for him and may threaten his health if he gets too stressed. You remember how he fainted last time when you brought Junior Sister Yating to master. Do you really want that to happen again?”

Su Jing at this point felt like a tree there. They talked about her as if she wasn't present. 

Hearing that Yawen fainted when Yating was caught by this Chu guy, however, baffled her. Did he dramatically do that to get her out of trouble? It wasn't surprising coming from Yawen. He really used his ill card whenever he could.

As Su Jing pondered, she noticed Senior Brother Chu looking toward her. She quickly shifted her attention back to them, sensing that he was considering something.

Feng Huohua, however, didn't give him much time to think. She grabbed Su Jing's hand, giving her a reassuring smile, and spoke directly to Senior Brother Chu.

"Senior brother, let's not trouble junior sister Su anymore. I'll go contact Elder Brother Wen. We can't let his health be affected. Let's go, Junior Sister Su."

Before Su Jing could respond or protest, Feng Linhua led her away, leaving Senior Brother Chu behind. Su Jing glanced back at him, feeling a mixture of relief and uncertainty.

Feng Huohua continued to speak, her tone now more relaxed, though it was evident she was annoyed with the man.

"I'm sorry for dragging you into this, junior sister Su. Senior Brother Chu can be a bit stubborn sometimes."

Su Jing forced a smile, unsure of how to respond. Feng Huohua seemed to have a plan, and Su Jing was reluctant to defy her, considering the potential consequences. Feng Huohua, however, maintained a pleasant demeanour as they walked through the mountain path.

"It's alright, Senior Sister Feng. I understand that these matters can be complicated," Su Jing replied when she saw Feng Huohua look in front.

Fast-paced steps were heard from behind them and Su Jing immediately saw Elder Brother Chu emerging beside Feng Huohua.

Feng Huohua, however, didn't seem fazed by his presence, maintaining her calm and composed demeanour.

"Senior Sister Feng, are you sure about this? Disturbing Junior Uncle Wen might not be a good idea," Senior Brother Chu cautioned, his tone filled with scepticism.

Feng Huohua sighed, casting him an exasperated glance.

Her expression was firm. "Senior Brother Chu, you worry too much. Elder Brother Wen is reasonable, and he'll understand the situation. Besides, my master is busy himself with other matters."

Su Jing, still holding onto her apples, silently followed the two of them, feeling like a spectator in a drama she never auditioned for.

"Hua'er, you've always been too soft-hearted," Senior Brother Chu muttered a hint of disapproval in his voice.

”...” Su Jing gave him a weird glance. Saying that again and again was truly not gaining bonus points from Feng Huohua, nor Su Jing. He was just annoying.

Feng Huohua ignored his comment, leading Su Jing towards Zhilou Peak. The tension between the two was palpable.

As they approached the Main Residence, the scenery changed. The air seemed lighter, and a sense of tranquillity surrounded them. Feng Huohua stopped at the entrance, facing Su Jing.

"Junior sister Su, please wait here for a moment. I'll go inform Elder Brother Wen about the situation."

Before Su Jing could respond, Feng Huohua entered the residence, leaving her alone with Senior Brother Chu. The awkward silence lingered between them.

Su Jing was even awkward to eat her apple. His stare was way too pressuring.

"I advise you to tread carefully in our sect.” he began again repeating his words, forcing Su Jing to give him attention, ”The rules are there for a reason, as well as for your own well-being. You could easily get hurt by other cultivators in accidents. " Senior Brother Chu remarked, his arms crossed.

Su Jing, feeling caught in the middle, tried to diffuse the tension.

"Honoured Disciple Chu, Master Yawen truly brought me himself here. I wouldn't dare lie.”

He raised an eyebrow, studying her for a moment. "He refused high-prestige maids from the Sect Master, and yet, he took you in instead?"

Su Jing felt that he was truly as stubborn as Feng Huohua said. Why would Yawen be willing to let other people on his territory? Was this Chu guy so densely stupid? It was obvious Yawen didn't wish to be spied on by the Sect Master through his maids!

"I am but a lowly mortal grateful for Master Yawen's kindness. He has his own ways of doing things, and I trust his judgment."

Senior Brother Chu seemed unconvinced, but before he could say anything more, Feng Huohua returned. She had a confident smile on her face.

"Elder Brother Wen has agreed to meet us. Let's go, junior sister Su."

Su Jing nodded her head and let the Chu man go first. She followed behind him, but as she did that she was suddenly repulsed back, making her stammer a few steps behind.

Right, that Yawen put this barrier for her!

Su Jing thought he would deactivate it knowing that Feng Huohua and this guy were with her. Yet, he didn't do that!

Senior Brother Chu turned to look at her, raising an eyebrow. "What's the matter? Are you having trouble entering?"

Su Jing scratched her head nervously, trying to come up with a reasonable explanation. She would only be able to enter this building if she went down and again up the mountain, completing her training.

Nonetheless, she is sure Brother Chu would only take this explanation as her waiting to run away!

"Oh, no, it's just... I might have left something behind. I need to go back for a moment. Please, go ahead without me. I'll catch up."

Senior Brother Chu seemed sceptical, but Feng Huohua intervened with a smile.

"Senior Brother Chu, we shouldn't keep Elder Brother Wen waiting. Junior sister Su will join us shortly. Let's not delay our visit."

Feng Huohua's charm seemed to pacify Senior Brother Chu's suspicions. He hesitated for a moment before nodding and continuing into the courtyard.

Su Jing was again left speechless by Feng Huohua, who didn't wait a second to toss her away now that she had an audience with Yawen.

Villainesses were truly scary!

 

 

Hi guys!!

Officially, I am back again!

Although I did not post since I was busy with exams, I tried to edit the story - so if you check again, some previous chapters may be changed. The storyline is the same, just with some improvement in the characters' relationships. I recommend you to revise the chapters above 10. (gah, I hate the dialogue I wrote with Li Yuan and Yawen).

Also, thank you for still sticking with my story!

I was surprised to see that some readers were following my story when I wasn't even updating this month! Thank you so much, it motivates me! 141 sounds like a lot to me lol. To think 141 people would read my silly writing 😂

 

Edit 1 - why does Scribble Hub backstab me and doesn't show the chapter published. (and at the latest updates).😔

7