Chapter 5: First Duel II
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fear was a primal instinct of mankind. Fear of disaster, of the unknown, of cruelty, even of life itself. At the same time, fear was an act of self-compassion, though often acted as a curse for those who weren't able to understand it.

Rei had fear. Being in a place he didn't recognize, being accompanied by a suspicious robot, and the partial amnesia he got out of nowhere. Everything that happened basically had clear explanation in a way that made sense to his brain. Even worse, the answer Morgan gave pushed him deeper into a state of turmoil.

He glanced at his trembling hand, he covered it, and set a stupid laugh.

“Okay,” Rei said. “You really need a better joke to amuse me, Morgan.”

“Huh? What do you mean by a joke? I speak the truth here.”

“Nah, mate. Stop it.”

The overconfident-boy suddenly turned silent and showed a puzzled look. “You accuse me of lying? Again? Come on!”

“What else, then? I’m not that stupid to believe you for real,” His forced laugh kept playing like a broken radio. “If you want to make a lie, don’t be so obvious, can you? Make it more believable, at least to me.”

“Hear me, rookie!” Morgan pointed his finger to Rei, raising his tone. “You can make a fool of me cuz my ugly hairstyle or my black skin, but accusing me of lying is very low, mate!”

Not a single word came out from his mouth to argue back. Morgan's reaction on the face was enough to shut him down. Completely. He knew he didn’t do it for a joke or to mock him. He wasn't that kind of person. He just wanted to make Morgan acknowledge that he did lie for his own sake or something else.

Any reason is fine!

He just wanted to drive away his own fear, by making Morgan give an answer that could calm his heart. It was a backfired plan in the end.

He took a deep breath and massaged his head. What's gotten into me, really? It's not like me at all.

Again, he argued with himself. Creating the most plausible excuse to calm his mind by forcing himself to believe that everything was orchestrated by the administrator–the ugly people behind this bullshit.

Everything. Including his sudden amnesia, Morgan’s answer to his question, or whatever was going on today and later.

Yes. It must be it. They are the ones who caused it.

He took another long sigh of suffering.

And then, he faced Morgan. He couldn’t actually see Morgan eyes to eyes, he felt so ashamed of himself. That was why he immediately bowed to apologize. His unreasonable tantrum to a stranger was so uncalled for. It went against what his mother used to tell him.

On other hand, Morgan was quite surprised, he never expected someone would bow their head to him.

“Put your head up,” he said, “that’s okay. I can understand where you are coming, mate. I had the same reaction as you, to be honest. Playing card games which can hurt you, meeting those stupid robots … I was so lost for the first time too.”

He scratched his head and smiled before putting on his serious face again. “I won’t take your accusation for granted. But, yeah, it kind of hurt me at some point, no joke, mate. I hope you never say something like that again, you know. To anyone.”

Rei fell silent for a few seconds. Realized that what he said seemed hurtful to Morgan.

“You're right. Sorry,” he said. Hearing an earnest response from Morgan, he couldn't handle his guilt. It crawled into his mind and almost forced his tears to fall. “I’m really sorry.”

“Nah, stop it, mate. It’s weird seeing two dudes sharing a dilemma like this. Let’s just continue our thing here.”

What a kind-hearted person you are, he thought.

“Thanks, Morgan.”

“C’mon. Let's get back to our business.”

He nodded and drew his card.

 

During their respective turn, any player was able to use any available Master Spell Card at the Main Phase, once per turn.

At his second turn, Rei glanced at two different Master Spells: Gamma Storm and Life Seed. Both cards had different effects. Gamma Storm allowed him to destroy one of his opponent units while Life Seed granted him 1500 Life Points.

He made a choice.

“I activate Gamma Storm and choose Bombast Ignitor as my target.”

The Master Spell card was floating into the air, it transformed into a storm of destructive energy and destroyed Bombast Ignitor in the blink of an eye.

“Heh. Nice choice,” said Morgan. “You picked the correct Spell.”

I don't think that deserved a compliment, though.

Rei looked at his cards again before doing a simulation in his head.

His opponent had 3500 LP, 2 Aegis, and 2 units on the field. To win the game, he had to reduce the numbers to zero. He could destroy his Aegis and his units at the same time with two attacks because Morgan didn’t control a Guardian Class unit to negate the battle damage.

However, he hesitated. What if Morgan had a good Battle Spell in his hand? Then he could overturn the situation in an instant and set his defeat on his own turn. That was the worst scenario running in his head wildly.

Wait a minute. Why suddenly I care about winning this duel?

He shook his head slightly and finally picked a card.

“I deploy Nighty Seducer to my Support Zone.”

Unit Zone had 5 slots and was divided into two sections: 3 slots for Battle/Combat Zone and 2 slots for Support Zone. Any unit could be deployed into either zone.

When a player deployed a support class unit, they needed to put it into the Support Zone or they couldn’t use its effect. While a non-support class unit that deployed into the Support Zone would lose their ability to attack as long as it stayed there.

[Nighty Seducer]

[Level : 1]

[Type : Entertainer]

[Class : Support]

[Power : 100]

[Class Effect:--]

[Effect(1): At your turn, Increase all Nighty Units power by 500 during player Battle Phase, except this unit]

When Nighty Seducer was deployed, she moaned pretty hard. Clearly, that distracted Morgan.

“W-why did you deploy such a hottie like that! Hold your horse, mate!” Morgan’s nose was bleeding and he tried to cover it. Meanwhile Rei turned his face away.

“I didn’t choose it on purpose,” he claimed.

“Bullshit! You did!”

They exchanged glances for a minute in silence. After their reddish cheeks vanished, they continued the duel.

“I deployed Red and Blue Hostess to the Combat Zone!”

Two beautiful ladies with sexy cheongsam dresses came out from the shattered cards. They gave a flying kiss to Morgan in the most decent way. Morgan tried to avoid the kiss bullet by doing a kung-fu dodging style.

“Again! What the hell is going on with your deck, really?”

“I-I didn’t choose my deck voluntarily! I swear!”

Morgan’s face turned flat. He didn’t buy Rei’s word at all. It was an almost impossible situation for him to believe in.

They could hear the ladies on the field giggling while covering their mouths with their fan. As if they were entertained by watching both duelists' antics.

At the same time, a tremendous shame filled Rei’s face, his inner side screamed like a little girl who just lost her tik-tok account. Fortunately, he was able to calm himself down. A few long breaths were taken and then he showed a “nothing is really matter” face.

But again, Morgan didn’t buy it.

Back to the duel, due to the Red Hostess effect, he was able to search 1 Nighty Battle Spell from the deck. And by the Blue Hostess effect, he got 1 Nighty Trigger Spell into his hand.

Then, he decided to enter the Battle Phase.

“I activate my Battle Spell, Overload Beer!”

[Overload Beer]

[Type: Battle Spell]

[Attribute: Hyper 2]

[Effect: Increase all units power on the player field by 500 until the end of battle phase. The effect still applies to units after this card activation.]

Red Hostess Power : 400 (Basic Power) + 500 (Nighty Seducer’s effect) + 500 (Overload Beer’s effect) = 1400

Blue Hostess gained the same amount of power boost.

“Battle. Red Hostess attacks Recruiter!” Following her master's command, the beautiful lady closed her fan, imbued it with magic and threw it like an arrow.

Before the Recruiter was destroyed entirely, he took a paper from his inner suit. “Gimme money, my boss didn’t pay me a penny” was written there.

Rei almost burst to laugh, somehow he didn’t.

That clash, however, made Morgan lose his unit and an Aegis at the same time.

"You think I'll give you free space to attack me directly? Hell no!" Morgan unleashed a Battle Spell from his hand. "With the effect of 'Frontier’s Revenge', I can resurrect one monster that was destroyed in the Main Phase. Come back, Ignitor!"

The military goblin was back on the field. Ready and squeaky.

I saw it coming, but…

"I will keep striking!" he declared, "Blue Hostess attacks Ignitor!”

Just like her sisters, Blue Hostess followed her master’s order and threw her fan like a shuriken. The attack penetrated the goblin’s body and exploded him into a smoke.

“Well done, mate.”

“It’s too soon, Morgan.” He showed another card from his hand. “At this time, I activate my Trigger Spell, Nighty Call!”

[Nighty Call]

[Type: Trigger Spell]

[Attribute: Hyper 1]

[Effect: When a ‘Nighty’ unit you control destroy opponent units by battle or effects, CALL 1 Nighty unit level 2 or lower from the deck, and double its power until the End phase]

“Hear my call, Nighty Cat Girl!”

Suddenly, a card from his deck jumped into the Combat Zone and transformed into a girl with a fully cat ear on her head.

“I heard your call-nya~!” She spoke and posed like an anime cat girl. And she winked too.

[Nighty Cat Girl]

[Level : 2]

[Type : Entertainer]

[Class : Neutral]

[Power : 500]

[Class Effect: - ]

[Effect(1): After this unit attacks, deal 500 damage to your opponent.]

“Cat girl, attack him with your paw!” The girl dashed like a cat in a zigzag pattern. When she arrived in front of Morgan, she scratched his face and jumped back immediately to Rei’s side.

Morgan’s wound healed, but not with his Life Point. He took 2000 damage for a single attack.

The cat girl didn't stop there. She stood up, took a stance like a kung fu master. She dashed along the wind and threw a flying kick to Morgan’s face. He couldn’t stop the attack and was sent spinning backwards.

That kick was worth 500 damage. Unfortunately, he couldn't take Morgan down even with his last feat in this turn. He checked his hand and Deploy Limit (4/5), then he ended his turn.

Meanwhile, Morgan got up from the floor and walked to his position. He put a smile on his face and commented, “That’s a nice combo. You use Nighty Call to boost her power! You gained my respect, mate.”

He sighed. Again, why do you so easily praise other people?

“Thanks, I guess,” Rei replied. “But you still haven’t shown your perfect hand, right?”

“Haha! You remember! And then let me show you!”

Morgan drew his card like a maniac card battler and prepared to play his turn.

Turn 4

Rei LP 3500 | Aegis 1| 3 units.

Morgan LP 1500 | 0 Aegis | 0 units.

“I play Gamma Storm to destroy Cat Girl.” The Master Spell transformed into a storm and struck Cat Girl with its destructive lightning. There was nothing left except her echoing “nyaaaa” scream in the air.

“And then, I deploy 2 Bombast Mobs to the field.” Two average goblins with their brown clothes appeared. “Next, I activate the self-destruction effect!”

Rei boggled, but the two goblins were shocked even more, their eyes jumped out. Before they could protest against their own master, a beep sound was heard and a strong explosion occurred within their body. Nothing left behind, not even their right to live.

I know that was their effect, but…

Afterwards, two new cards flew into Morgan’s hand. He threw a glance over his hand and a big grin immediately decorated his face. Rei could see a burning flame dwelling in his opponent’s eyes.

Morgan deployed 2 Bombast Engineers and pointed his finger towards the Grave Zone. “Before you, I will show what my favorite unit can do! By destroying one Bombast unit on my field, I can use its second effect! Revive and come to me, Ignitor!”

Suddenly, the ground was shaking. Rei could feel the vibration. It became stronger overtime and forced him to maintain his body to not fall. At the peak of the tremor, a crack opened and something emerged from beneath the ground with a terrifying smirk while holding a detonator.

The sound of sinister laughter filled the room. The revived goblin was jumping around and dancing like a master hip hop. After a few rounds of his silly ritual, he stopped, turned around to face Morgan.

“I am back for duty, Commander!” The goblin saluted him like a brave soldier.

“Good!” Morgan replied. “But it's not over yet, my soldier!”

The fire in Morgan’s eyes was still burning hot. By doing unnecessary spin, he ordered his other unit. “Once per turn, My Bombast Engineer can search level 3 or higher Bombast units from my deck.”

Wait, don’t tell me…

Unexpectedly, Morgan observed the look on Rei's face, as if he understood what his opponent’s thought. “Just like your prediction, rookie! What I add to my hand is my second Bombast Ignitor!”

Shit!

Rei looked at his hand again and there was nothing he could do right now.

“Here we go!” Morgan continued, “with 1 unit material cost from my field, I deployed the second Bombast Ignitor to my Combat Zone!”

Another goblin appeared with the same demeanor, a crazy monster with an annoying laugh. The two goblins glared at each other for a few seconds and high-fived in joy.

“We are ready, Commander!” they shouted in unison.

He wasn't intimidated by the gazes of the goblins, but at what would happen next. Right now, Morgan controlled two units with the same name, type, and class. With that, the requirement for the next step, the 4th type of Deploy Method was ready to pull off.

 

Morgan smirked. “I see. You understand what is coming for you.”

Hearing that, Rei tightened his body. His gaze locked at his opponent’s Combat Zone.

“Without further ado, I will show you!” Morgan gestured at the two goblins on the field. “I ENGAGE two [Bombast Ignitor] to build a new force across the universe!”

The two goblins were suddenly floating in the air. Their bodies disintegrated into thousands of light, leaving three dazzling red orbs each. The orbs moved and formed a pattern like a constellation, connected to each other with the base and tip shining the brightest.

TWIN ENGAGE! Come Forth! My strongest ace unit, Bombast Ignitor MAX!”

The constellation formation broke apart, spawning a portal that revealed an endless ocean of starlight. From within, a mighty giant goblin in fiery red armor emerged. It flew up and slowly descended into the Combat Zone. A windstorm spread out as the mecha goblin landed its body perfectly. Followed by a vibration that was enough to make anyone's legs go numb.

After the cloud of dust dissipated, Rei caught the real appearance of the monstrous unit. It was clear as day. The giant goblin was equipped with a long range weapon attached to both shoulders as its main weapons. Its right hand emitted a flashing light, a detonator that also functioned as a deadly laser weapon. While its left hand acted as a shield.

“Gyahahaha! I come to fulfill your call, Commander!” The mecha goblin declared in a mechanical tone. “What is your next order?”

[Bombast Ignitor MAX]

[Level : 6]

[Type : Machine]

[Class : Battler]

[Power : 1500]

[Passive Effect: Mystic Armor]

[Effect(1): After this unit engaged, destroy 1 opponent Aegis]

Before Rei could read all of the card's available description, Morgan activated his new card effect.

“Ignitor Max, destroy his last Aegis!”

The Mecha Goblin charged its weapon on the shoulder and shot a powerful beam. A cloud of smoke rose, leaving Rei without any protection layer.

“You see! This is how you play with Bombast Archetype!” Morgan was grinning. He couldn't hide his excitement at all.

On the other hand, Rei was standing with a troubled face.

“What a crazy unit you have there, Morgan. But, it doesn't mean you can win this duel with that alone.”

“That’s why I deploy my next units to my Battle Zone!” Morgan threw two cards from his hand and immediately both cards transformed into two goblins with a spear in their hand.

Before entering the next phase, Morgan glanced a bit at his Deploy Limit. [9/9]

“Fiuh! I hit the limit there…” Morgan wiped his sweat, “Alright! Let’s battle!”

Rei immediately did a calculation before Morgan ordered his unit to attack him. If Morgan had no additional booster, he could survive for the next turn. However, if the opposite scenario came to play, he had no chance of winning the game.

“My soldiers! Attack both his units!” Two Bombast Soldiers gave a salute then ran toward Nighty Red & Blue Hostess. They threw the spear, pierced and destroyed Rei’s units.

Bombast Soldier (500) vs Nighty Red Hostess (400)

Bombast Soldier (500) vs Nighty Blue Hostess (400)

Rei took 200 damage from those battles. But, the real one was coming.

“Prepare yourself, rookie!” Morgan’s ace unit understood its order. The mecha goblin immediately charged all its weapons and released tremendous amounts of energy toward Rei without a second thought.

The immense force ate him alive without mercy. Leaving him standing in a dust cloud without any hands or skins. In an instant, all his wounds were healed. Including his hand which grew back like an undying plant. All his pain reduced to nothing.

[1500 Damage Received]

Rei walked back to his position and wore a wry smile. “You almost got me there.”

“Do you think it’s over? I assume you miss something here.”

He froze in confusion. Just like Morgan said, something was off. Did he miscalculate something?

Waiting for nothing, Morgan exclaimed, “My Twin Unit is a Battler class unit! That means Ignitor MAX can attack twice!”

[Class: Battler / Class Effect: Twice Attack]

Once again, the mecha goblin charged all its weapons with beam particles. The red light emanating from the weapon's muzzle drove away the other lights in the arena. The ground shook and the air dried up. Rei tried to smile. But, before he was able to, his body was obliterated by a tremendous destructive stream.

Aw, shi—

[1500 Damage Received]

Behind the haze of smoke that enveloped the room, Rei was lying on the floor. He tried to get up but his mind was going somewhere else. No matter how far he recalled his memories, nothing came to his mind. Even if he did, then there was a glitch that would block the remnants of it.

He waited for his entire body to regenerate to stand up. He walked through the smog and climbed up the stairs to return to his ground. Once he looked forward, there was a Twin Unit, 2 Bombast Soldiers, and a formidable duelist named Morgan.

[Rei LP 300 | Aegis 0 | Unit 1]

[Morgan LP 1500 | Aegis 0 | Unit 3]

However, Morgan’s turn was still in motion.

1