Chapter 48: Greed and Resurgence (2)
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

____________________________

 

- Spawn Dungeon Guardian

 

Yes

No

____________________________

 

“Yes!”

Dungeon Master 02 announced gloriously as a hologram representing the invaders manifested like chess pieces on one side, and on the other, the newly materialized Dungeon Master 02's domain Guardian.

 

____________________________

 

[ ???'s Interface ]

Enhance Guardian abilities

[YES] [NO]

____________________________

 

"Yes! Now rise, my glorious creation. Rise."

 

______________________________

 

[ Stormforged Colossus ]

Level: 42

Type: Elemental Colossus

Class: Lightning Colossus

Title: Thunderlord's Sentinel

 

[Status]

- H.P: 3500 / 3500

- M.P: 2800 / 2800

- S.P: 1600 / 1600

- Defense: 4200 (+2300)

- Offense: 4900 (+2400)

 

[Skills]

- Lightning Infusion: Level 18

- Metal Manipulation: Level 12

- Thunderous Roar: Level 10

- Electric Shielding: Level 15

- Cyclonic Charge: Level 14

- Mjölnir's Strike: Level 20

- Ironclad Resilience: Level 13

- Tempestuous Step: Level 9

 

[Abilities]

- Thunderstrike Gauntlets: Unlocked

- Metallic Shielding: Unlocked

- Lightning Surge: Unlocked

- Resonant Shockwave: Unlocked

- Ferrum Fist: Unlocked

- Thunderstorm's Embrace: Unlocked

- Conduit of Fury: Unlocked

- Metalstorm Aegis: Unlocked

- Stormforged Dominion: Unlocked

- Thunder Minions: Unlocked

 

______________________________

Having transitioned from a strategy that prioritized both spawns and guardians under the precept of the sacred ratio to one that emphasized only guardians, Dungeon Master 02, like the others, successfully acquired an even stronger spawn than his initial one.

Furthermore, the "Enhance Guardian Abilities" feature appeared to have a significantly greater effect on Dungeon Master 02's guardian compared to mine. In fact, the enhancement was almost twice as effective. This marked advantage almost prompted me to cry foul. However, I comprehended that Elemental Creatures, such as Dungeon Master 02's, possess specific advantages over Undead creatures, just as Undeads do over the former in certain other aspects. This particular advantage falls into that category.

Anyway, Dungeon Master 02’s domain Guardian—a Stormforged Colossus—was yet another natural-born title wielder that stood as an awe-inspiring behemoth, its massive form towering over the dungeon's inner sanctum and the invader it stood across. Its frame is constructed from enchanted alloys, resembling darkened steel, with veins of crackling energy coursing through its metallic surface. The golem's eyes flicker with an inner lightning, revealing an otherworldly sapience. He donned on both arms, imposing Thunderstrike Gauntlets crackle with latent power, ready to unleash devastating bolts upon anyone or anything.

On the opposite side of the room, the adventuring party, while clearly confused by what just happened to them, nonetheless stood united as a diverse and formidable group. Adriant, the towering War Master-titled HighBreed, exuded strength with his battle-scarred visage and polished silver armor. Seraphina, the Healer, emanated a certain air of compassion, most likely because of her pristine white robes and flowing silver hair. The obviously twins, Jaime and Jaimy, Highbreed Monks, shared a worried but battle-ready stance and expression.

Elowen, the VerdenKind Archmage, with her silver hair and violet eyes, clad in robes adorned with arcane symbols, immediately withdrew to the background behind the twin monks, her staff beginning to shine with a magical blue light. Lastly, Kevin Karstark, the Paladin, stood on the forefront as a beacon of light, donned in gleaming armor adorned with symbols of faith. His golden hair and noble silver eyes radiated an otherworldly virtue that screamed annoyingly to all of us: "I am a hero," and that he, along with his little party which we had to admit formed a harmonious balance of strength, healing, and magical power, despite their initial confusion, was ready to take on Dungeon Master 02's domain guardian.

"From composition alone, they make a decent party. Offense and defense-wise, they're not too far behind your guardian. Are you sure you've got this?" I asked out of genuine concern.

"Don't worry. I got this," Dungeon Master 02 replied confidently.

In spite of knowing that he was aware, I still went on to remind him. "You do know that you won't be allowed to use 'Strengthen environmental hazards,' right?"

It was one agreement that got ratified between all of us. In spite of the generous status boost it offered, under no circumstances were we allowed to use Strengthen environmental hazards anymore, except perhaps in a very desperate situation—one with really no other way out.

As a Dungeon Core, the concept of death was something I had been slowly forgetting. One can't really blame me for that; I had no body, no heart or brain, and thus no fatal weakness to speak of. To me, death was just a very unlikely prospect. However, since encountering invaders wielding the title "champion," a title acquired through defeating a Dungeon Guardian empowered by "Strengthen environmental hazards," I felt like I had discovered what was the equivalent of death for Dungeon Cores like myself: losing all the G.P I had so dedicatedly harvested. There was no way I was allowing that to happen, and the Dungeon Masters agreed with me in that regard.

"I know, I don’t need to bet all our G.P. to win this. Watch me," Dungeon Master 02 proudly declared as his Guardian opened up the hostilities.

 

_____________________________

 

[ Real-time Feedback ]

Guardian, Enhanced, Level 42, used ability: Summon Thunder Minions

Lightning Golem, Level 25, joined the battle

Lightning Golem, Level 25, joined the battle

Lightning Golem, Level 25, joined the battle

Lightning Golem, Level 25, joined the battle

Lightning Golem, Level 25, joined the battle

Lightning Golem, Level 25, joined the battle

_____________________________

 

“Don’t worry we’re watching.We’re watching.”

 

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

HighBreed, Monk, Level 48, used skill: Iron Body

HighBreed, Monk, Level 48, used skill: Iron Body

HighBreed, Warrior, Level 61, used ability: Unbreakable Formation

Verdenkind, Level 50, used skill: Elemental Skin

HighBreed, Level 63, used ability: Celestial Blessing

Verdenkind, Level 50, used skill: Mana Overload

Verdenkind, Level 50, used skill: Arcane Empowerment

_____________________________

 

Recognizing the danger posed by the newly summoned Lightning Golems, the party quickly moved to reinforce their defenses. Jaime and Jaimy channeled Iron Body, rendering themselves impervious to physical harm. Adriant led the party in Unbreakable Formation, enhancing their collective resilience and translating it into a significant boost in defense. Elowen invoked a series of enhancements, further fortifying her status. Kevin Karstark, the authority wielder, called upon the ability Celestial Blessing, granting holy enhancement to his comrades.

The room crackled with magical and defensive energies as the two forces prepared for the impending clash. And on a move of the summoned Golems, it officially began.

 

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

Lightning Golem (3), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

Lightning Golem (1), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

Lightning Golem (6), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

Lightning Golem (4), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

Lightning Golem (2), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

Lightning Golem (5), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

_____________________________

 

The Thunder Minions, charged with electrical energy, unleash a synchronized Chain Lightning attack. The party, in a great display of synchronization, backed off allowing Elowen to step forward.

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

Verdenkind, Mage, Level 50, used skill: Earth Magic

_____________________________

 

Raising her arm and staff high, slamming it into the ground as if to split an ocean, the Verdenkind mage summoned a large earth wall between herself and the Lightning Golems.

Even before the Lightning Golem's attack was finished, the Authority wielder, the twin monks, and the warrior semi-circled around the Verdenkind mage's earth barrier. With coordinated precision, they charged straight for the still-attacking Lightning Golems.

"What do you think you're doing," Dungeon Master 02 with a voice full of malice as he had his guardian make a move.

_____________________________

 

[ Real-time Feedback ]

 

Guardian, Enhanced, Level 42, used ability: Lightning Surge

HighBreed, Paladin, Level 63, used ability: Guardian Angel

_____________________________

 

Almost instantly after Dungeon Master 02’s Guardian unleashed his Lightning assault, Kevin Karstark steps forward, invoking his skill Guardian Angel. A radiant barrier enveloped him, absorbing the incoming lightning strikes.

With the Paladin sacrificing himself as a lightning conductor, the twin monks, Jaime and Jaimy, and the warrior, Adriant, seize the opportunity. Swiftly and without hesitation, they charge through the dissipating smoke towards the still-vulnerable Lightning Golems.

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

Highbreed, Monk, Level 48, used skill: Astral Strike

Highbreed, Monk, Level 48, used skill: Spirit Walk

HighBreed, Warrior, Level 61, used skill: Counter-Attack

_____________________________

The twin monks and the knight unleash a coordinated assault on the Lightning Golems. Jaime used his Astral Strike which allowed him to attack with increased precision, Jaimy's Spirit Walk enhanced to enhance his overall mobility, and Adriant his Counter-Attack allowed him to momentarily return the Golems' passive lightning attacks against them.

As they engaged the Lightning Golems, their coordinated assault began to lower the golems' health. However, with only three invaders focused on the golems, half of them remained untouched. Shifting their attention from the Verdenkind mage, the unharmed golems prepared to strike the trio.

Just as they were about to unleash their attack, the Lightning Golems found themselves targeted by the Authority wielder. Emerging from the dissipating smoke, the wielder redirected the electrical onslaught away from his comrades to himself, standing strong and eager for battle. Alone, he not only held off three of the Lightning Golems but quickly began lowering their health. Simultaneously, the Verdenkind mage, having, by her comrades, the golems' attention diverted away from her, joined the assault, increasing the invaders' momentum in the heated battle.

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

Lightning Golem (2), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

Lightning Golem (5), Level 25, used abilities: Chain Lightning

_____________________________

 

“Tsk.”

At that moment, we all felt like putting a comment on how this battle was going, but having an idea of what kind of mindset Dungeon Master 02 was most likely in, we decided to spare ourselves from the multi-generations-spanning curse that would be unleashed upon us the moment we opened our mouths.

Perhaps sensing that both I and the other Dungeon Masters wanted to make snarky comments but refrain ourselves from doing so, Dungeon Master 02 had his Guardian act—an act that I was tempted to qualify as impulsive.

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

Guardian, Enhanced, Level 42, used ability: Resonant Shockwave

_____________________________

 

Understanding the potential threat posed by the Verdenkind Mage and Highbreed Healer, the enhanced Guardian unleashed Resonant Shockwave in their direction, seeking to eliminate them early in the battle. As the shockwave barreled toward the backline, intent on reaching its targets, it unexpectedly—or rather, not-so-unexpectedly—encountered a determined obstacle.

 

_____________________________

 

[Real-time Feedback]

Highbreed, Knight, used ability: Shield Block

_____________________________

With a praise-worthy swiftness, the Highbreed Knight, who didn't join the quartet in their charge and instead remained by the mage and healer's side, raised his shield, intercepting the Resonant Shockwave with a masterful Shield Block. The shockwave, now halted by the knight's unwavering defense, created a protective wedge, sparing the Verdenkind Mage and Highbreed Healer from the impact that would’ve been their end.

 

_____________________________

Name: Pascal

Level: 49

Race: HighBreed

Class: Knight

Health: 63%

Status: In Combat

『Expand』

_____________________________

 

Despite the grinding force of the Resonant Shockwave, the knight stood resolute, his armor showing signs of wear but proving that he was very much alive and operational.

"Is that the best you've got?" We could imagine the Highbreed Knight defiantly exclaiming in whatever strange tongue the people of this world speak, making Dungeon Master 02's annoyance flare up.

Having faced not only one but two Authority wielders, with the last one wielding not only one authority but two, I have come to associate authority wielders as the most dangerous kind of invaders. When it comes to invaders of all kinds, so far, each Authority wielder had been operating on their own, leading us to usually refer to them as lone invaders, be it Lone invader 01 or 02. So, naturally, when we saw this invader, while we were uniquely surprised to see that he wasn't alone, we were expecting him and him alone to be as competent as the one that came before him. What Dungeon Master 02, and I must admit, I and the other Dungeon Masters as well, weren't ready for was to not only see the authority wielder to be competent, but his comrades as well. I guess this lesson will serve us well; we grew too conceited to see everything that isn't an authority-wielder invading our domain as being of lesser intellect.

Time I guess to rewatch our approach.

0