Chapter 000: Prologue: IT
1.9k 3 65
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Primordial being stirred in the darkness of the Underworld, awakened from ITS eons-long slumber. In that moment, IT remembered.

IT remembered what was done to IT.

IT remembered ITS Adversaries.

IT remembered what IT has forgotten.

IT forgot ITS past.

IT forgot ITS form.

IT forgot ITS name.

IT realised how long IT was imprisoned.

IT realised what it means.

IT realised… IT was dying.

With no past, with no form, with no name, it was a wonder that IT existed still. In fact, IT knew IT would most probably slowly dissolve into blissfull nothingness by the end of next century anyway.

That realisation made ITS mind flooded by a rush of feelings. The feelings of pain, hatred, sorrow, anger, resignation, sadness and loss, all overwhelming, all felt at the same time. They were a substantial contrast with ITS prior numbness and apathy.

But why? Why was IT released? What was the intention of the Adversaries? To demean and mock IT, by allowing IT a glimpse of what was lost, to deny the last pinch of dignity IT had left? To torture IT further, now, that IT can feel and react to it? To finally break IT in the most vile ways possible?

And then IT noticed.

IT didn’t sense any gaze on IT.

IT was left alone.

No one was paying attention to IT.

Only now did IT sense the commotion – the very plausible reason for release – that was happening: that there was a soul. A mortal soul. A very rare one at that: a mortal soul with most of its mind still intact.

IT remembered mortals. IT more or less knew how they function. IT knew that normally, when a mortal dies and their soul leaves the body, their mind – serving as connective tissue between body and soul – crumbles. Usually, most of the mind – aspects like most memories, knowledge and skills – stays with the body to dissolve as it decomposes, with usually only the general character and key memories being present on soul. But to have nearly fully whole mind – why, IT recalled seeing it only twice before.

The rare soul was still escaping successfuly, but it was only a question of time before it is captured. Especially if denizens of the Underworld stopped playing and started hunting it down in a serious manner.

Alas – their carelessness made them awaken IT – and it would cost them deeply. Since after assessing the situation, IT devised a plan. One that would not only possibly save the mortal soul, but also – even more importantly – humiliate ITS opponents. IT felt immense joy at the tought. As if pranks were a part of nature of IT – and it probably was.

IT knew instinctively that IT needed to be fast. IT also knew, that it had to be careful and strike at the right moment. IT knew what IT needed to do, what IT could do, as well as how to do it.

The moment finally came and IT rushed into action. In a split second, IT teleported to the rare soul and enveloped it. Then IT strained ITS power to the limit, and – shocking every witness of the event – teleported with the mortal soul to the Mortal Realm.

IT was ecstatic. Not only was IT free, IT repaid ITS foes – if only a smidgeon of what they did to IT. What mattered was that IT got to be the last to insult the opponents. IT could vanish feeling fulfilled. The saved soul would go on freely to inhibit form it deems adequate. Or at least not suffer from the torture of current Masters of the Underworld.

However… IT was not alone. There was other presence – besides the rare soul and surrounding animals – that noticed THEM. An old, collected presence, that felt oddly familiar to IT as it was looming over IT. And then it connected THEIR minds and spoke familiarly, with perfect control over their emotions:

How curious. As if you actually think that leaving a bare mortal Soul in the Mortal Realm, with no physical anchor to it, is agood idea.

EVERYTHING BETTER THAN THE UNDERWORLD.

Not by that much. Explain then why did teleport to an area where I am.’’

FATE. I KNOW THAT I KNOW YOU. I REMEMBER YOU. NOT CONSCIOUSLY. BUT I KNOW.

“…”

YOU CAN HELP THE MORTAL SOUL.

“There is no incentive for me to do that.

IT would smirk if it was able to. CHALLENGE. YOU WON’T STAND BACK FROM A CHALLENGE.

There are no benefits for me for accepting a challenge from you – a dying Primordial. Even discerning what your challenge is disappoints. It’s obvious you want me to create a suitable Body for the Soul. That’s not challenge. Never was.” said ITS interlocutor. “You are dissolving. That last extertion really pushed you beyond a point of no return. You will vanish by the end of the day. I will not be compensated even if I take up your challenge.

IT sent feelings of amused smugness. YOU WILL GET KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE USE OF AN EXTREMELY RARE RESOURCE…

...MY SOUL.

65