Chapter Twelve: Raging River
206 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Star and Salem strolled at a leisurely pace towards the town off in the distance. Opal, the ever excitable wyvren, bounces across the trees, sniffing the air to catch all the new smells. The excitement in the air was palpable. They hadn’t left the little island turned much bigger island in centuries, everything seemed brand new to them. Even the simplest things through them off, like how the sun beat down on their backs with far less intensity then normal, and the air seeming more humid then what was typical back on the island.

The entire atmosphere was brand new. Star quickly found herself being side track by the various floral that surrounded them. Each plant seemed familer but not. Subtle differences barely perceptible to the naked eye.

Star knelt down by a fern, carefully looking over the leaves of the plant. The color looked a few shades darker then the same plant on her little island, the leaves a little pointer, perhaps even a tad longer than average. Star let the plant go, bounding to the next. Her eyes sparkled as she began observing the large flat leaves and tiny yellow flower blooms of the new plant.

Salem was no better, looking around as she played with space and time. She teleported one object to her, then another checking each of her abilities. She held sticks and fallen leaves suspended in the air. She made plants dance on the ground all around her. She turned a tree into a sprout and a sprout into a tree. Opal found herself nose first in the newly formed tree.

Star and Salem walked without urgency, simply taking in the scenery around them. They stopped at every interesting plant, animal, and mushroom. Opal rolled in the dirt, knocked down a few trees, and hopped around like an excited puppy. She was so excited to play in fact that she ended up snatching a rodent from its hole, bringing it back to Salem.

Salem stared at the rodent squiring in Opals jaws. Opal had a soft grip around the rodent, keeping her sharp teeth from drawing blood. “Drop it.” Salem ordered pointing to the ground.

Opal bounced in excitement, wagging her tail all while the rodent wiggled in her jaws.

Salem sighed, giving in. “Just don’t make a mess.”

Opal chirped, wiggling in happiness.

“Hey it sounds like a rivers ahead!” Star called, skipping over to Salem.

Salem paused for a brief moment, listening. The faint sound of rushing water greeted her ears. “Sounds like it.”

“You think we’ll see some fish? I really wanna know what the fish around her look like.” Star’s eyes gleamed.

Salem shrugged, “Only one way to find out.” The duo continued their walk.

Star and Salem could see the little river now, well little wasn’t quite the right word for it. They were able to notice the racing waters fit for white water rafting. They could see the rigidity old bridge that looked ready to collapse at any moment. The planks rotting and half broken in some places. They could also see a group of young kids hyping a little boy up, clearly trying to pressure him into walking across the bridge. The duo paused at the edge of the treeline simple watching.

Curiosity hit Star first, this being the first time she’d seen other people beside Salem since she arrive on the little island all those decades ago. The second thing Star felt was concern as the little boy half her size took his first step on the bridge and she heard it creek and groan under his weight. Concern turned to anxiety as they boy neared the middle of the bridge, now to far away from the edges to retreat if something went wrong.

SNAP!

A shrill scream pierced the air as the rotting boards of the bridge gave way, snapping and sending the little boy plunging into the frigid waters below. Star heart dropped. The boys on the other side of the bridge screamed. One broke off from the group, rushing off darting back to the direction of the village. The other two knelt down at the edge of the river bed, desperately holding out a hand or large stick to the boy still in the water.

It wouldn’t be enough. The boy was to far out in the river, the current to strong for him to fight against. Without another moments hesitation Salem and Star burst into action. They darted to the edge of the river. Salem stretched out her magic, using time to slow the river and everything in it. The waves didn’t calm but they did slow to a near stop.

Star stepped out into the water, each step parted the water. The river moving to slow to fill in the gaps where she stepped. The boy sat frozen in the middle of the river head underwater at the moment. Star reached for him grabbing him by the ankle and pulling him to her. She then picked the boy up with one arm, throwing him over her shoulder before walking back the way she came.

Star stood with the boy on the edge of the bank a moment later. Salem released her hold on the river, allowing it to flow as normal. The boy coughed, hacking up a little bit of water, chocking for air from Star’s shoulder. Star swiftly moved him off her shoulder, placing him on the ground. Once she’d gotten the boy into a recovery position, she wasted no time grabbing her satchel. From the satchel she pulled out a small potion. Star uncapped it before pressing it to the boys lips.

“Drink.” She ordered, “It’ll get the water out of your lungs.” She added.

The boy’s lips parted, the potion went down his throat. As soon as the last portion of the potion disappeared Star pulled back, moving away just in time as the boy threw up a lung full of water. She began patting his back as he panted.

“You alright now?” She asked.

The boys eyes turned to her, gazing up at her in amazement. His mouth parted, but no sounds came out.

“Fish caught you tongue?” She joked.

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA” A curios of screams came from the boys on both sides of the bank in near perfect unison. The little boy before Star pointed behind her as he screamed.

“Oh shit--” Star stood, wincing, a fluffy head bopped hers. Star gave Opal a few scritches on the chin as she looked behind her trying to find what had startled the kids. “Whats wrong?” She turned her attention back to the little boy, who continued pointing at Opal, for some reason.

“I think they freaked because of Opal.” Salem commented, she looked a little conflicted.

Star tilted her head, “But why?” She looked back to the little boy, “Are you afraid of Opal?” She asked, petting the aforementioned wyvren.

The boy fainted.

“Oh.” She looked back up to the boys still screaming, then back to Opal. “Why would they be scared of you, your just a little baby.” Opal purred loudly.

Salem rolled her eyes. “Opal shrink.” She direction. Opal huffed before shrinking becoming a third of her original size.

The screaming ceased, the boys to busy gaping in amazement to continue. A groan came from the little boy they’d just rescued as he awoke. He blinked up at them once more. His mouth opened.

“hasdk wiry bvayieu tbalh?”

Star stared blankly, “What?”

Salem groaned, smacking her head, “Of course, we don’t speak the same language.” She sighed, “Star, you got anything?”

Star did a quick search of her satchel, “Nope.” She pulled her book out of the bag, “But I can make something.” The books pages flipped a few times before Star released her grip on it, letting it float in the air. From the bag a few different plants and a single animal organ floated out, joining the book in the air. A small hum left Star’s lips as she activated synthesis. The synthesis whirled and glowed for a few moments before a new item popped out. Star’s book glowed a few moments a picture of the new item appearing on a blank page.

Star took a quick moment to check the stats of the new item, it was a green potion substance contained in a small square glass jar.

Instant language potion

Allows the drinker to learn the next language they hear, that they do not already know, instantaneously.

Side effects may include headaches, nausea, and confusion for upwards of 12 hours.

Taste like sour apples.

[in depth scan]

Star nodded, popped the cap and drank. The taste lingered on her tongue, but she payed it no mind. Instead she created another., handing the completed concoction off to Salem with a quick explanation of its effects. Salem downed the potion in moments. Once both parties had drank the potion they nodded, and turned their attention back to the little boy.

“Alright kid, say anything.” Salem instructed, despite the boy not understanding a word she said.

The boy merely gaped up at them.

“Or don’t.”

Before anyone could say anything else, voices echoed from the forest on the other side of the bank. The two boys on the other bank looked back, exclaiming something to the people approaching them. Star felt information flood into her mind. She blink once, twice, and refocuses on the conversation happening across the river, now able to understand what the people are saying.

A group of adults emerged from the tree line, along with the little boy who’d ran off earlier. Star observed the group for a moment, looking for who could be the boys parents.

“Mom!” The boy exclaimed jumping up to his feet with small tears in his eyes, “I’m alright!”

A woman near the front visibly relaxed, tears of relief flowing from her face, “Ben! Thank god, your alright.” She sobbed into her hands.

The little boy looked lost, stuck on the other end of the bank away from his mother. He glanced back to Salem and Star, fear in his eyes. Salem looked down at the boy named Ben with a smile one her lips. With nothing but a thought she opened a portal connecting the bank the two banks via portal.

The people on the other side startled, gasping as they moved away from the portal. Ben glowed staring at the portal as if it was one of the most amazing things he’d ever seen, yet he didn’t go through just yet.

“It safe promise!” Star reassured him, “Watch.” She passed through the portal appearing on the other side in an instant. “See!” She called out waving at the boy from the other side of the river.

The boy still hesitated, glancing nervously up at Salem. Salem gave him a gentle smile, offering her hand to him, “Would you like to go through together?” She asked, keeping her voice low and even.

Ben grabbed her hand tightly. Together they walked though the portal. Salem closed the portal behind her as they excited. From her side she felt the boy’s hand loosen from her grip, he looked dizzy holding his head with one hand.

“Oop, forgot portaling could be disorientating, here kid.” Star quickly rushed to the child side giving him a pill, “It’ll help with the headache and nausea.” She explained.

The boy took the pill without of fuss, his face contorted into a look of confusion as he straighten up, “It taste like grapes.” He observed, then he shock his head, focusing again. “Mommy!” He cried once he caught sight of his mother, throwing himself into her arms.

“Ben!” She held him tightly, shaking, kissing his head as he cried. One of them men besides the lady bent down whispering something in her ear. She immediately went white, looking ready to faint.

Star looked at Salem in confusion, she merely shrugged. The duo looked back, this time noticing the subtle way the people around the weeping mother and child seemed to be positioned to protect the two. Tense muscles and focused eyes as nervous energy filled the air.

Star leaned over to Salem, switched back to their native tongue, “Any idea why there acting like this?” She questioned.

Salem pushed her head away, “No.” She turned her head to the other side of the river, “Opal, to me.” She called.

Opal chirped bouncing over the raging river in one smooth motion. The people gasped moving several steps back as they trembled in their boats.

“Don’t worry,” Salem started, “She’s friendly.”

The people didn’t look like they believed her, closing in around the woman and child more. Star and Salem couldn’t help but grimace slightly, a motion not lost on the people before them as they began shaking harder.

Just why did these people seem so afraid of them?

Their answer came in the form of the mother, pushing her way through the tide of people. She approached the two, stopping a few feet away. She didn’t look them in the eyes, instead keeping her head bowed as she shock.

Star was about to say something when the lady throw herself at Star’s and Salem’s feet, groveling before them.

“Please allow me to take my beloved child's debt! He’s just a child, he doesn’t know any better, please, grand spirits!” She begged, desperation lacing her voice.

“Ayo, what?”

“Excuse me?”

10