Chapter 1 – Waystone
40 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A car barely misses a person as he can be seen running along the sidewalk. Bruises all over his body. The smell of smoke and ashes present in the air. He was having a hard time breathing and processing what was happening, as hot air brushed past his face constantly. At this point. Hundreds to thousands of people have disappeared. All in a few hours.

Jack runs into a slightly damaged house as he tries to catch a break. His breathing was rugged, Jack slowly brought himself over to a chair as he slouched himself in it. He tries to calm his breathing.

 

(“what the hell happened”)

(“It's only been a few hours how much people have disappeared for all of this to happen!?”) he thought to himself

Tears could be seen welding up in his eyes, he tries to keep himself from sobbing as he suppresses his emotions. He doesn’t want to die. He doesn’t want to be left alone. He tightened the grip of his hands as a flash of determination could be seen on his face. He has to survive. He silently sat there bringing his body together on the chair. As he listens to screams, explosions, and blazing fire of the outside world.

Every explosion Jack hears, he jumps in fright, every scream Jack hears he tries to comfort himself

(“It’s going to be okay, I will be alright”) Jack said very quietly as he began to shake and streams of tears flowed down his face. Jack keeps the sobbing noise from coming out his mouth as he clenches his teeth. 

 

Dread filled everybody's minds as the only thought in their minds was the end of the world. The government and other organizations tried to find these missing people but there were no results.

 

Then a mysterious timer began to tick in the sky. It could be seen from anywhere on the planet.

 

People stared at the timer as it reflected 100 years of time, the seconds ticked down.

 

People began to fall to their knees, realizing that the world is really coming to an end.

 

Gang violence increased to a degree that nobody could stop it, the function of humanity began to fall apart as every achievement humanity has been known for becomes meaningless.

 

Until someone with courage and integrity. Took up the stand to stable humanity. Under his rule things began to calm down.

 

But the missing people never knew what was happening to their home planet. Now in a mysterious place. Nothing can be done but survive in a place where common sense has no place.

 

Meanwhile, Jack awoke from his drowsiness, finding himself standing on barren ground. Looking ahead, the landscape stretched before him, empty and desolate. Everything was flat. There were a few branches on the ground, turning around he was 1 feet away from what stood before him. Jack walked slowly until he reached the end. A void, a never ending void. 

 

Everything he saw from beyond was dark. But when looking back at the island for some unknown reason he's able to see everything. But the island doesn’t have its own light source. Disaster befalls Jack's mind. If something went wrong. Nobody will ever know if he got killed or died. Jack was standing on top of a floating island. He slowly begins to back away from the edge.

 

Within the void, nobody could reach him. It was like its own world. Jack begins to look around, realizing the island, which he was on, was a perfect circle. 

 

Looking dead ahead, he sees an unknown waystone with inscriptions stretched across the whole thing. It stands about 4 feet tall. The top of the waystone has about a 45 degree tilt. Jack looks at the thing with mystery.

 

Jack thought this was probably where the missing people got transported but he doesn’t see a single soul. Fright begins to well up in his body, Jack's heart beats wildly at the thought of his unexpected situation. His breathing becomes ragged, his sweaty hands twitch at the thought of being in danger.

 

But nothing has happened to Jack yet. Jack tries to keep himself composed. Breathing in and out, his body becomes stable as he gets a full breath of air in his body. His body sometimes doesn’t listen to his command as he thinks of ways to make sense of his situation. He couldn’t take a step or sometimes couldn’t even move his arms.

 

Jack crouches, bending his knees staying low to the ground, as he slowly takes a small step towards the direction of the waystone. Thinking of what it could be. As nothing like this existed on earth. When upon the waystone surrounded by dirt. Slight weeds are protruded around the base. He thinks of many ways to activate it. 

 

He thinks of placing his hand on top of the rough surface. A slight glow was poking from below his hand. A mysterious light blue screen with a small scroll button on the right was suddenly presented.

 

Showing 5 options which were Strength, Durability, Agility, Intelligence, Soul manipulation. Now thinking over the information he's just gained. He thinks of what they could be used for. Suddenly something happened to the atmosphere around him. 

 

He sees small particles slowly being condescended 12 feet in front of the waystone. Something green was slowly beginning to grow as energy around the surrounding began to slowly be depleted. His surroundings slowly begin to suffocate Jack, his shortness of breath as he becomes light headed. As fear couldn’t explain what was happening to him, sweat slowly gathered around his forehead. Then it all stopped at once. A green blob around 4 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height stood resting on the ground. The first monster was born on his island.

 

Wonder and fright imbued Jack's body, his legs were shaking, he held his breath at what the fluid was; he could hear his heart beat from this empty void. His mind couldn’t make sense of what happened, he thinks of anything that he learned from school or books but it didn’t make sense, Jack was stiff and his shoulders wouldn’t budge. Could it be slime or a jello substance? But why would something like that take so much energy to create. He tries to scout out the unknown being by hiding behind the waystone.  

 

After a short period of time nothing seemed to have happened. Jack sneaks closer to the substance. But he has no cover to help him hide. Jack being about a foot away from the substance made it awakened. The slime jumped which made Jack frightened. Jack's movement was quite sluggish at the unexpected attack. The slime launches itself towards Jack's location. Leaving the spot it once was in an instant. Jack dodged to the left, his arms not knowing where it should be.

 

Leaving a mark on the dry land. Jack crashed knee first into the ground beside him. The slime landed on the ground in the spot Jack was in before, it was about to launch itself back towards Jack again as Jack tried his best to get away from it.

 

He prepared his legs as he pushed with all his force, using his hands to drag himself. Almost in a crawling position. Jumping to a random location from his unstable stance, it was a bad decision by Jack.

 

This time he went head first into the dirt. Hitting his nose, a swift signal of pain made him stop doing his next action. This opening made the slime be able to attack him in his defenseless position. While the dirt in his face blocked his vision. He tries to wipe the dirt away from his eyes. But he was already in a panicked state and he wasn't quick enough.

 

The slime landed on Jack back, it was way heavier than he thought. The air from his lungs left his body from the impact. Then a sudden pain enveloped Jack's back. Massive screens escaped Jack's mouth. As tears run down his face. His back sizzled from the acidic substance. Jack never knew the slime would ooze out acid or be acid. His heartbeat increases as Jack's mind is not functioning probably in the state he was in. But there is one thing Jack was thinking throughout this whole thing. “I don't want to die yet”. This escaped Jack's mouth along with his streams. 

 

Jack grasps for air as he takes his hands digging it into the dirt in front of him trying to drag his body away from the slime on top of him, but it was all meaningless.

 

Jack finally turned his body with the slime on top of him. The longer he takes to escape the more he will be cooked from the outside until it enters his body. Knowing when that happens he's as good as dead. Finally having the strength to do so. Jack finally got up. But the slime was already setting up to ponce back on him. But surprisingly the slime didn’t stick to him.

 

Jack, with his vision blocked, takes as many steps as possible to escape from the slime. His body is already hard to control as he's going through unbearable pain. Blood drips from his back. The only smell being entered through Jack noise is the smell of his burnt flesh. 

 

Finally being some distance away. He almost falls to the ground as the adrenaline slowly drains from his body. The battle isn't over yet. But his knee was also bruised from jumping to the left. 

 

Tears continue to fall down his face as he questions why he has to go through this whole experience. Jack was huffing, his mouth staying open.

 

Jack is still gasping for air. As he tries to get a hold of himself. The slime was only a few feet away from him and Jack was only a few distance from the edge of the island. Jack stares into the void as the pain in his back doesnt help him calm down. 

 

After steading his breath. Jack gets up from his kneeling. While he was also looking around his island he saw some branches on the ground. Jack moves towards one of them. Each step Jack takes, casts a burden on his body. But he better hurry as the Slime was slowly closing in. grabbing the branch he swings it a few times, it was actually quite sturdy. It was about 1.5 feet long. 

 

This was Jack's new weapon, the slime slowly bounces as it stands 2 feet away from Jack. It slows down even more prepping for his pounce. But this time Jack was ready, while crouching with half his back burnt, and his eyes quite puffy. The slime jumps, but this time Jack side steps realizing it wasn’t as fast.

 

Jack swung down his branch like a sword with his horrible form, his right foot ahead of his left one. He almost falls but he still lands a hit. It bounces off but he uses that to swing again grazing the membrane. Small amounts of green substance began to ooze out of the impact. Joy could be seen on Jack's face until some of the ooze sprayed out and landed on Jack's chest. He tries to hold his screams in and uses the anger he currently has to swing harder and harder unto the slime. Time passed as Jack still beat away at the slime. While his wounds get worse. Some parts of his body don't even listen to him anymore. The things Jack feels now is tiredness and pain. Landing one more hit on the slime nearly ended its life but in its dying effort it tried to spread all its ooze over Jack, which partly worked. With Jack's last bit of strength, he swung down his arm with what's left of the branch ending the slime life. It dissolved into the ground.

 

Jack lay standing as his body was in a horrible mess. Part of his arms and legs are dissolved, his back beginning to ooze out, a scar can be seen across his whole chest which was burnt flesh. Some areas on his body were deformed. His branch absolutely obliterated. Jack falls to the ground unconscious.

2